Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Drimble Wedge posted:

Get a stick blender maybe? Also known as immersion blenders. They are fairly inexpensive.

No problem puréeing a soup with a potato masher if you boil them in little liquid, and then add more liquid once the mashin's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What are some good ways of cooking beef short ribs? I'm not sure I've ever had them so going to find a butchers that sells them this weekend. I'd smoke them but its probably going to be extremely heavy rain and I don't have any equipment to sous-vide them. I don't really want to make a stew with them either if I can avoid it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How often do you have to condition/oil wood cutting boards? (Do you have to condition bamboo cutting boards at all?)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scott Bakula posted:

What are some good ways of cooking beef short ribs? I'm not sure I've ever had them so going to find a butchers that sells them this weekend. I'd smoke them but its probably going to be extremely heavy rain and I don't have any equipment to sous-vide them. I don't really want to make a stew with them either if I can avoid it.

Pressure cooker or braised, if you aren't going to smoke or s-v them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

tuyop posted:

How often do you have to condition/oil wood cutting boards? (Do you have to condition bamboo cutting boards at all?)

Depends on how often you wash them. I try to do it about once a month, including the bamboo ones. Bamboo will dry out and crack, too.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Scott Bakula posted:

You're discarding all of the main good ways to cook them. If you don't want to smoke them this weekend corn them and make pastrami out of them next weekend :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If the weather isn't bad I'll smoke them but its been really horrible recently. Its definitely how I want to cook them but I'm not holding much hope. Maybe I should wait until the weather is dry then

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tuyop posted:

I must have great luck as I have never conditioned / oiled my bamboo cutting board (didn't realize you were supposed to until years after I bought it) and I use / wash it at least 5-10 times a week. It has no cracks, no deformities etc.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I never soak it, just hot water and soap and immediately into a rack to dry

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

It may be mostly a texture thing, now that I think about it. I guess I've always had cooked carrots prepared so that by the end, they're pretty soft. I actually like fresh carrots in a salad or with some sort of dip. Parsnips on the other hand seem to always retain a certain amount of bite.

Perhaps the problem here is that most beef stew recipes don't address the issue of preventing the veggies from getting mushy...they just tell you to chuck it all in there and cook it forever.
You could very well do the Two Fat Ladies technique. They'd brown off some bones and veg and whatnot, and boil the lot to make a stock. Then, when it's time to add the meat, they'd strain the stock, discard the veg/bones, and add the meat to the stock. THEN when the meat is cooked about 3/4 of the way through, they'd add carrots, parsnips, swede, potatoes, etc. For some reason, Jennifer used tiny little granny paring knives for her chopping jobs, so she cut her carrots into long quartered pieces, the potatoes kind of chunky, and the rest all in about roughly equal size. Even with that, she would only simmer the endveg for about 30 minutes or so, until they were tender, but not mushy.

I recall her doing it for a few soups, come to think of it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Breaky posted:

I must have great luck as I have never conditioned / oiled my bamboo cutting board (didn't realize you were supposed to until years after I bought it) and I use / wash it at least 5-10 times a week. It has no cracks, no deformities etc.

Edit: I guess I should mention that I never soak it, just hot water and soap and immediately into a rack to dry

Yeah, soaking and dishwashing REALLLY dry them out.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

It's salt lard. Most of the salt might be bound in the solids that drop to the bottom. It'll probably be perfectly fine if you leave that stuff out, I've gotten burned on that before.

Sweet. I am going to try this ASAP.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sjurygg posted:

You can soak them in the Virgin Mary's very own breast milk and they'll still have a twinge of piss to them.

Little twinge in cow kidneys, maybe yeah. Pig kidneys are a lot better, and lamb kidneys almost require no soaking. There's a whole world of kidneys out there is what I'm saying.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm celiac and also cannot have dairy (any part of it, including casein, so no butter), uncooked onions, nitrites, and paprika. I've been cooking at home for a year now but my options past "protein slew" and "meat" are growing thin. Please help me not starve to death. :smith:

Money and recipe skill are up in the air. Simple is good but extravagant is nice for the weekends so my girlfriend doesn't hate me. I'm located in Carlsbad, CA so if anybody knows any good local butchers or culinary store gems I wouldn't mind going there for supplies as well.

Thanks in advance :sun:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Can you also not eat celery or many green vegetables? There are seriously ridiculous levels of nitrates in them. So much that they can cure bacon, hotdogs, lunch meats, etc with celery juice.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
What about rice? Does that work? If so you can eat that and stuff like rice noodles and noodle soups of various kinds maybe?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Can you also not eat celery or many green vegetables? There are seriously ridiculous levels of nitrates in them. So much that they can cure bacon, hotdogs, lunch meats, etc with celery juice.

Yeah, I avoid celery salt and trace amounts in lunchmeats give me horrible icepick-like sinus headaches. I've had to switch from spinach to kale and I stick to carrots and broccoli for greens. I haven't done a reduction diet to differentiate between nitrates, nitrites, and sulfites though although I'm unsure of a real difference between the three (and others).

Definitely can eat rice-- it's my main source of both carbs (noodles, pasta) and protein (powder)

I've been to allergists but even with $20 copays I've already racked up about a grand in tests that show absolutely nothing and I'm going insane not being able to eat like A People. Reduction diet is the only way I've actually felt alive. Blah.

Examples:

I put a dash of onion powder on plain rice. My nose immediately became blocked and I had pretty bad shortness of breath. For the next few hours I was pounding water because I couldn't focus my eyes or mind.

Paprika and specifically jalapenos and bell peppers make my intestines swell to the point where they feel like they're going to burst-- same with anything containing gluten. I used to have a half a beer and be sick for days with a sore throat, swollen tonsils, etc. Anything related to these foods gives me impaired motor skills, anxiety, hypomania, severe ADHD, insomnia, cold hands, feeling of being faint and dizzy if I stand too quickly, inability to form strings of words, and a thousand-yard stare. My girlfriend says it's terrifying to watch and multiple times she's wanted to take me to the hospital for it. Symptoms usually last a week before I really feel "normal". Symptoms usually last a week before I really feel "normal". Oh, and dairy doesn't give immediate symptoms, but casein specifically gives me eczema on my face and hands. :\

I eat protein shakes three times a day (rice protein and almond milk) because sometimes I just feel hopeless. :I I love cooking but I feel like I'm out of options for good meals at this point. My favorite foods are non-modifiable and I haven't been to a restaurant other than In-N-Out (plain burgers on top of fries) in a year.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

quote isn't edit. work has trouble loading post buttons for some reason :argh:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what exactly you can and can't eat, but what about roasted brussel sprouts in duck fat or bacon grease?

As for meat, have you tried doing other meats besides cows and chickens? Like Duck, Geese, Venison and such?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gluten-Free-White-Bread-for-Bread-Machines/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

As for other stuff, have you tried gluten free breads?

And you can make a delicious mac & cheese (just check ingredients on the cheese) and use rice noodles for that.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

This might help you out.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Xovaan posted:

I'm celiac and also cannot have dairy (any part of it, including casein, so no butter), uncooked onions, nitrites, and paprika. I've been cooking at home for a year now but my options past "protein slew" and "meat" are growing thin. Please help me not starve to death. :smith:

Money and recipe skill are up in the air. Simple is good but extravagant is nice for the weekends so my girlfriend doesn't hate me. I'm located in Carlsbad, CA so if anybody knows any good local butchers or culinary store gems I wouldn't mind going there for supplies as well.

Thanks in advance :sun:

Thai and Indian should both be highly suitable to your dietary restrictions. I know Indian food cooks with butter, but you can just use a neutral oil instead. Lentils, spices, meats and any vegetables that don't bother you. Just skip the naan and raitas and eat with basmati rice. Coconut milk is fatty, creamy and delicious--and used in Indian and Thai cuisine. As for Thai food, red curry, green curry, panang curry, tom yum or tom kha soups with about any protein, (tom yum gai or tom kha gai are with chicken, gai=chicken), anything with a peanut sauce. Yum!

Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese food should all be pretty open to you too, just keep with rice noodles. No soba or ramen. With Thai food and other East Asian food, you'll have to do your own label reading when it comes to condiments (soy, hoisin, fish sauce, etc) and nitrites. Make a pot of Pho! Roast those bones! So good.

Honestly, if you stay away from most Italian food (pasta and cheese all over the place), your diet doesn't have to be so restricted. I would start Googling the hell out of Asian and East Asian cuisines. All can be ridiculously simple, recipe depending, and really, really good.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nice, thanks for the replies, guys! Lots of great info and links. :)

I make my curry powder from scratch and really enjoy tons of ethnic cuisine. I guess the biggest problem is since moving down to SoCal form Santa Cruz I don't have a Nob Hill and Sprouts is only relatively comparable. :saddowns:

I do brussel sprouts in bacon grease all the time, actually. It's super tasty! I also fry Costco Rudi's bread in bacon grease for my bacon, avocado, chicken, and fried broccoli sandwiches but I definitely would love a bread machine! Didn't think about how easy that would be. :)

I used to make my own pho broth with anise and beef knuckle and what have and gently caress that was good. I should start doing that again! Biggest issue is getting real Thai basil as basil + mint is close but not the same, you know?(Also homemade DIY springrolls was the best accident I've ever mis-ordered from a Vietnamese restaurant)

Alternative meats are something I've yet to try, which was why I listed my city because I'm definitely interested in trying alternatives to beef and chicken. :)

Dietary restrictions suck. I guess the hardest part is realizing if you don't make a meal from scratch, you basically aren't eating. Sometimes you just wanna point at a box and say "I want that" and boil it and eat without having to worry about being sick for a long time, you know? I'm fighting the industrial revolution here and losing. :argh:

Actually, on a side note, I really, really like that sweet yellow coconut curry you can get from Thai restaurants. I've made curry in the past, but I can never get it just right even if the final product turns out loving delicious. Anybody know of some great yellow curry recipes? Hell, any kind of curry recipes? I don't mind buying spices in bulk if I have to.

You guys rock!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

You can eat bacon and broccoli but not nitrates, and thai food but not smoked chiles? How did the doctor that diagnosed with your sensitivity to nitrates and paprika explain that one?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You can eat bacon and broccoli but not nitrates, and thai food but not smoked chiles? How did the doctor that diagnosed with your sensitivity to nitrates and paprika explain that one?

It depends on the type of bacon, and how it was cured if it has nitrates. Not all bacon has nitrates in it.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

Senior Scarybagels posted:

It depends on the type of bacon, and how it was cured if it has nitrates. Not all bacon has nitrates in it.

And the broccoli?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

And the broccoli?

The broccoli I have no excuse for.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Those use celery juice/powder or other vegetal sources of nitrates/nitrites, which are "natural" and loaded in nitrate/nitrite-containing compounds but which let the company advertise it as not having any added nitrates/nitrites.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There is no such thing as nitrate free bacon. What you are talking about is "no nitrate added" bacon, which most certainly still has nitrates as ricola said, in the form of celery juice/powder. Truly nitrate free bacon would be dangerous to eat as nitrate prohibits the growth of clostridium botulinum.

regardless, nitrates are formed on the surface of smoked meat (which bacon is), this is how the highly sought after "smoke ring" is formed on good barbecue.

unsmoked, uncured bacon is just pork belly and would taste nothing like bacon.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 23, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

There is no such thing as nitrate free bacon. What you are talking about is "no nitrate added" bacon, which most certainly still has nitrates as ricola said, in the form of celery juice/powder. Truly nitrate free bacon would be dangerous to eat as nitrate prohibits the growth of clostridium botulinum.

regardless, nitrates are formed on the surface of smoked meat, this is how the highly sought after "smoke ring" is formed on good barbecue.

Alright, I was wrong.

Still I am trying to figure out what a Celiac can actually eat, so I shoulda looked at the list more closely on celiac.com

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Alright, I was wrong.

Still I am trying to figure out what a Celiac can actually eat, so I shoulda looked at the list more closely on celiac.com

It is my understanding that it is only the wheat glutens they are sensitive to. I could be wrong though. If that were the case, pretty much any other grain is available for use.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It is my understanding that it is only the wheat glutens they are sensitive to. I could be wrong though. If that were the case, pretty much any other grain is available for use.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

According to that, this is the stuff they cannot eat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
There are some major grains that coeliac's must avoid: wheat, barley, oats, rye, spelt. Oats don't really have gluten, but they do have a weird protein that fucks with a coeliac's stomach. Any other grain, like quinoa, amaranth, teff, rice, millet, and buckwheat (NOT a wheat; more closely related to rhubarb, if memory serves) is safe. That long-rear end list is "Don't eat those five grain" on repeat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Dino, I think oats are often processed on machines that handle wheat and are very commonly mixed with a little flour for various purposes.

Some people are apparently also sensitive to oats, but truly gluten free oats exist for celiacs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The broccoli I have no excuse for.

I only have a single sprig per sandwich to give it crunch-- not more than that though because I know they contain some but I didn't know exactly how much. Truthfully it could even be one of the causes of my symptoms so I guess I'll remove that too and make sure. :(

That's the problem with food intolerances: in a given day with a varied diet, there are a myriad of things that you're consuming. Are tannins or sulfurs the cause of your stomach ache? Is it nitrites or nitrates giving you a headache? Gluten or paprika? Something completely new? What is the common link to be had here? What did I misread in which label? Dairy I don't even see the onset until my skin starts flaking three to five days after consumption, gluten I feel within 20 minutes, and everything else can be anywhere between an hour to eight hours. I've had 20+ shots in my back with histamine control for organic allergies with no reaction to any possible antigens.

I'm only human and still discovering what I can and can't eat but it's really really hard to sit down and empirically control everything one eats in a day. :( I make every meal I eat from scratch and have for the last year and it's scary ever wanting to try something new not knowing what it will do to you. I came home from college, ate 3 roasted red bell peppers, and ended up going into a panic attack and two-week nearly nonverbal coma. I still don't know why (nor do I remember much from that week), because two weeks prior to that I had yellow bell peppers which are loving identical, chemically and nothing. At all. And the worst is I feel that I'm slowly becoming one of those hypochondriac purestrain gold morgellons chemtrail crazy people just trying to figure out what is the cause of the metric fuckton of symptoms that have plagued me my whole life.

But at least I am pretty decent at cast iron cooking and making pizza now. :unsmith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I fried chicken last week for Fry or Die. The oil should still be good for frying chicken today, right? It's been filtered through a tea strainer and sitting in a covered dutch oven on the stove.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Re: Brussel sprout chat; How do you make brussel sprouts taste good? I made them as part of an entire meal recipe, and it just had me salt/pepper/fry them. They took forever to soften and tasted pretty sour.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

I fried chicken last week for Fry or Die. The oil should still be good for frying chicken today, right? It's been filtered through a tea strainer and sitting in a covered dutch oven on the stove.

Totally fine.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

the littlest prince posted:

Re: Brussel sprout chat; How do you make brussel sprouts taste good? I made them as part of an entire meal recipe, and it just had me salt/pepper/fry them. They took forever to soften and tasted pretty sour.

Here's one way: chop up some bacon, brown it off slowly in a pan (five-ten minutes). Remove/reserve the bacon, pour out half the fat. Chop brussels in half, put em cut-side-down on the fat until they get some color (in the "few minutes" range). Soon as they start to, cut the heat to medium-low, throw a splash of water in (enough to cover the bottom of the pan), put a lid on it, and wait fourish minutes. Add a bunch of crushed almonds/hazelnuts/peanuts/whatever, scrape pan bottom, toss, taste, season, serve.

And either add the bacon bits back or keep em in your private stash...

VVVV or what he said

Plexiwatt fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 24, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the littlest prince posted:

well, one thing is to get over them being soft. IMO soft brussels sprouts are ruined brussels sprouts.

I like em shredded, raw, in cole slaw of various flavorings. Split and quickly sauteed in bacon or duck or beef or chicken fat. Tossed in sesame oil and roasted in a 500 F oven for 20 min and lightly salted. Split and charred off in a lightly oiled searing hot cast iron skillet then tossed with minced cilantro, mint, garlic, fish sauce, thai chiles, and sugar. Kimchi'd. Deep fried whole is pretty awesome, too. Maybe toss the final product in a rice wine vinegar/garlic confit+oil vinaigrette.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Gravity's suggestions are all awesome. And he's right, the less you cook them, the better. When sprouts get too soft, the flavor compounds are generally turning to poo poo.

I also really like this guy's recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-VM7jYmVQ It's pretty basic, so you can mess with it all you want, but the point is that it's a great way to become familiar with the flavors of sprouts that aren't 'sour' and 'sulphury'.

Honestly, though, when I'm feeling super lazy, I love to just steam some frozen whole sprouts until I can just get a fork in them, then roll them around in a smidge of butter and some sriracha. I think I might go do that right now.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Xovaan posted:

Food intolerance stuff

Hey dude you sound almost exactly like where I was about a year ago. I was basically eating rice cakes and peanut butter and random things for dinner. Have you done any research or seen a Registered Dietitian (NOT A NUTRITIONIST or normal Dr) to work on your food issues? It took me about a year, but I'm eating fairly normally at this point including foods that definitely used to make me feel wretched. Some of the stuff an RD might do is weird but it depends on them. Avoid ones that push tons of supplements, but I have mixed feelings on probiotic consumption, so who knows. You might also want to talk to a GI Dr about getting a hydrogen breath test to see if you have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, which can be helped with a specific diet and a course or two (or three) of antibiotics. Check out the FODMAPs diet in the meantime, but I'd definitely try to get in to see a GI dr or an RD if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey! Yeah, I'm getting more bloodwork done and gonna talk to my doctor about meeting with an RD. It's a long process but I'm thinking there's no way I can have so many simultaneous allergies and there's one large underlying cause. Tomorrow I'm scheduling a few appointments and I'll hopefully have some progress. :) FODMAP diet has worked greatly so far with a few exceptions that I listed above. I just wanna be normal. :smith: Glad to hear it's worked wonders for you though :) Gives hope!