Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

I'm free every weekend! Maybe we can see if Sanchezz and Stugazi are down for something too? I have a jacuzzi and barbecue and also a bunch of open-topped toxic chemicals in my garage we can try to figure the ratio of coolant to oil of.

I'm heading east tomorrow morning for a funeral but I'll get up with you when I get back. I'm sure we can make something at least mildly carcinogenic out of those chemicals you've got there.

Coredump posted:

PM me the nsfw pics.

All NSFW pics will go directly on my Facebook page, natch. If any of the haters don't like them, like my mom or my boss, well then that's their problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

n8r posted:

Please post pics of a CA bro meet hot tub party. At least the work safe pics.

Somewhere there exists a picture of the IRC crew in a hot tub at deals gap.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

I'm free every weekend! Maybe we can see if Sanchezz and Stugazi are down for something too? I have a jacuzzi and barbecue and also a bunch of open-topped toxic chemicals in my garage we can try to figure the ratio of coolant to oil of.

I'm a little far north, but perhaps botchedlobotomy and I could roll down south somewhere. He loves within fart smelling distance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

He loves within fart smelling distance.

I hear that's how they do it in Greece

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I hear that's how they do it in Greece

This is true, he loves smelling farts, but probably lives within earshot as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Mirror chat. Black City Pounders tapped another one while filtering. How many people stop to see if they're okay? Is it even worth dealing with some angry boring person?

Not sure what a black city pounder is, but if I clip a van mirror when I'm filtering I usually try to give a sorry wave. I figure they're used to it anyway, and if the glass is still intact, no harm no foul. I'll accept being called a wanker and given 2 fingers and be on my way. I'm not about to stick around for a face full of aggro builder/mini cab operator.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I spoke with the shop working on my bike and they are replacing the chain and sprocket set. They were going to try and get me out with just a chain, but they saw some "odd marks" on the front sprocket and were not comfortable leaving it as is. I asked them what caused this and got a definitive "The chain was installed incorrectly. We have checked the rest of the bike and found nothing loose or out of the ordinary in the axels or tightness of any components."

While the wheel was adjusted to the furthest point back, the chain didn't look loose. Maybe an inch or two of play. Certainly not like that guy in the video. Incinerating $300 (including tow) right off the bat isn't fun, nor is putting a friend out to take 2 hrs to the shop to pick up the bike. Not having a bike right now is the LEAST fun. That said, it's a used vehicle and not brand new off the lot so stuff happens.

I check over the bike before getting on it most times (tclocs). I should be doing it every time but I do keep a close eye on things. It's apparent that a mechanical issue while riding can end much worse than on a car. The issue I've reported previously was completely non reproducible. Wheels and axels were OK, it happened twice in 600 miles, then performed flawlessly every other time. Above what I did, the only thing to do was ride it. A shop wouldn't have been able to reproduce it any better than I could, and what isn't broken cannot be fixed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Found a guy on craigslist who wants to trade his ZX-12 for 200 ounces of silver bullion. Anyone here a libertarian wacko goldbug?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Isn't that like around a hundred grand? I haven't checked the price of gold lately, though. (Trap NOT sprung)

ed: OH MY GOD $1300 an ounce? Christ, I always had it in the back of my head that gold costs around $500/oz for some idiotic reason. So 200 oz is over a quarter million in USD just for reference.

edit2: did I read silver as gold, or did you change that? 12.5 pounds of silver is like 4 grand.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 23, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

drat for real? It was my first chain and sprocket install but I would like to know what I did wrong if you find out. I used a torque wrench and everything on that front sprocket. :(

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sagebrush posted:

Found a guy on craigslist who wants to trade his ZX-12 for 200 ounces of silver bullion. Anyone here a libertarian wacko goldbug?

Start melting your grandparent's silverware

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Coredump posted:

drat for real? It was my first chain and sprocket install but I would like to know what I did wrong if you find out. I used a torque wrench and everything on that front sprocket. :(

Yeah confused how it could work for 2000 miles no problem and then break because it was installed incorrectly. How is it possible to even install it incorrectly? It's a chain. It goes on one sprocket and the other, right? I've never replaced one, only adjusted the slack which I need to do right now.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Linedance posted:

Not sure what a black city pounder is, but if I clip a van mirror when I'm filtering I usually try to give a sorry wave. I figure they're used to it anyway, and if the glass is still intact, no harm no foul. I'll accept being called a wanker and given 2 fingers and be on my way. I'm not about to stick around for a face full of aggro builder/mini cab operator.

Yeah, I waved sorry and based on the mark on my bar end weight, it grazed the outer plastic and didn't touch the mirror at all. I still feel bad but I'm not about to stop and have an old person lecture me on why motorcycling is dangerous because they cannot keep themselves centered in a lane.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The one time I didn't check my blind spot I smacked into a van next to me. We were barely moving and the van was already beat up so I just mouthed "my fault." They shrugged and I rode off. Always check your blind spot.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

thylacine posted:

Yeah confused how it could work for 2000 miles no problem and then break because it was installed incorrectly. How is it possible to even install it incorrectly? It's a chain. It goes on one sprocket and the other, right? I've never replaced one, only adjusted the slack which I need to do right now.

Master link clip installed backwards, janky riveting job, or left too many links on the chain? I dunno, hard to mess it up, those are the only things I can imagine myself potentially botching.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Is the replacement the current Brembo radial master cylinder Suzuki uses, even on the older bikes?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

I'll get as much specifics as I can when I talk to them next but he said too many links and the end of the rivit wasn't pressed properly so it came undone. Guy also said it was reasonable for it to work for a while, and even had an anecdotal story of it happening to himself years ago.

I keep trying to think of what I could have done to prevent this, but really I don't know what to look for or what's bad. I just have car amature mechanical experience and some bicycle experience from way back. "Yep, that's a chain." haha

Coredump, I'm starting to think you are my curse. Did you fix anything else I should have them look at? :P Don't kick yourself too hard. You didn't deceive me and had no reason to believe it would fail.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 23, 2013

tjones
May 13, 2005

Coydog posted:

I keep trying to think of what I could have done to prevent this, but really I don't know what to look for or what's bad. I just have car amature mechanical experience and some bicycle experience from way back. "Yep, that's a chain." haha

Chaulk it up as a learning experience seeing as nothing catastrophic happened. Keep the new chain clean, lubed, and tight. The next time you will need to replace a chain you more than likely will not be riding your first bike, and you will have a lot more experience and mechanical know how.

Glad you got it sorted. It sucks you were put out by the chain failing, but if you stick with motorcycling this won't be the last. poo poo happens; have fun riding. :)

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Zool posted:

Is the replacement the current Brembo radial master cylinder Suzuki uses, even on the older bikes?

When did they switch to brembo mc's? I thought the newer bikes just had brembo calipers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xd posted:

When did they switch to brembo mc's? I thought the newer bikes just had brembo calipers.

I've seen the brembo MC often retrofitted to the older gixxer 1000's with the lovely tokico 6 piston calipers. Not sure if they're factory now or not though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

thylacine posted:

Knowing the master link failed, if it's a clip type, the clip could have gone missing. Rivet types, didn't press the sideplate on far enough, didn't expand the rivet enough, pressed the sideplate on too far, expanded the rivet too much and it sheered off.

Also, if the chain was at max adjustment at 2k, definitely too many links. You should have to move the adjuster all the way to the front and remove any excess links, or buy one that's cut to spec for the bike. Vortex racing's site is really handy for determining what the correct number of links is.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hmm... I think I will take up my dads offer of replacing the master link with a real riveted link on my bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you all for your help and reassurance here. I've been real chill about it because, while it sucks, it is what it is. I feel like when I pick it up Saturday people might not see me for a while. I want to be out riding FOREVER. Monday was incredible with the changing leaves in the mountains. With the viewing angle of the helmet and focus on the road, it was like rocketing through a bright tunnel of gold, red, and green.

Unrelated, that guy on the GSXR is who I DO NOT want to be and one of the reasons I worry about lane splitting. Granted, I'm polite and wary of areas police set up, but still. He did go the extra mile to enrage and piss off all police in that area. gently caress that guy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not being able to ride gives you time to read and learn stuff about riding. My bike has been out of commission for a year and a half and I've read every drat thread here and on other bike forums with all my not riding time. Picked up some good stuff. Waiting to finally ride sucks poo poo though. Riding is objectively the best thing in the world.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My bike has been out of commission for a year and a half

Remind me not to buy an Italian bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Riding is objectively the best thing in the world.

We could do a peer reviewed study with CA as the experimental group and GBS as a control and be proven utterly correct on this.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

:v: It's a Yamaha. I'm rebuilding it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Master link clip installed backwards, janky riveting job, or left too many links on the chain? I dunno, hard to mess it up, those are the only things I can imagine myself potentially botching.

It was my first chain install, I didn't know I had to take links out. I thought if I ordered for SV with stock sprockets it came to size. :doh:

Coydog posted:

Coredump, I'm starting to think you are my curse. Did you fix anything else I should have them look at? :P Don't kick yourself too hard. You didn't deceive me and had no reason to believe it would fail.

poo poo if that's the case check the clutch cable. I replaced it. :downs:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Coydog, we checked your clutch cable but you don't have one. For some reason there is only peanut butter in it's place." CURSE YOU, P.O.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

To be fair, the replacement instructions are kinda complicated. I can see where Coredump might have gotten mixed up.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

To be fair, the replacement instructions are kinda complicated. I can see where Coredump might have gotten mixed up.

Coredump is also mildly retarded as is evident by his posting.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

I've got a Honda that I can't find/afford parts for. :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coredump posted:

It was my first chain install, I didn't know I had to take links out.

There's some vendor on eBay that sells chain and sprocket sets with the chain already at the "ideal" length for several bikes. I did it for my XJ600 a few years back and never had a single issue throughout several thousand miles of riding. Just switched sprockets, clipped the master link on, never looked back (aside from the regular maintenance). Got help from the XJ forum for it just to make sure. I would bet there's someone on the SV forum who's figured out the exact number of links for all the usual sprocket combinations.

Here it is: http://stores.ebay.com/Sledpartsguy-Super-Store/Chains-and-Sprockets-/_i.html?_fsub=7&_sid=10789423&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'd just like to say that I've just read the phrase "engine-rich exhaust" and it made me giggle for like 5 minutes.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd just like to say that I've just read the phrase "engine-rich exhaust" and it made me giggle for like 5 minutes.
"There's metal coming out this end, Dale. Dial it back a bit."

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ducati Manigale photoshoot. I'm almost aroused.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

3600 miles since I got a bike 5 weeks ago. When does this get boring?

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

lol jk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man, I wish that us north americans would get some of the cool stuff I see on foreign Craigslist equivalents.

God damnit.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aprilia Moto 6.5, designed by Philippe Starck. 5-valve 650cc thumper, 42hp, 150kg. Shame it's so unreliable and rusts like a mofo. Love the design, though.