Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPad event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Diabolik900 posted:

I'd like one if you don't mind.

Sure just PM me your email. Same goes for everyone who wants one. I've got 5 left.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Slice got to be garbage with its recent update. I need a new package tracking app and since I can't think of any that work similar to Slice, I'm open to the ones that you input the tracking info manually I guess.

Try Parcel.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

the kawaiiest posted:

I bank with Simple, and it's the best experience I've ever had with any finance/banking app. It's basically Mint, except it's a bank. It's really, really nice and their customer service is loving amazing. If anyone wants to try it out, I think I have a few invites left.

e: US only, sorry.

Can you import credit card purchase data into their app or is it just expense tracking through their debit card?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tofes posted:

Can you import credit card purchase data into their app or is it just expense tracking through their debit card?

Only their card. It's fine for me since I don't use my credit card for anything anyway.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
New iWork app's are up!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
New Podcast.app!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm wondering if iBooks (and iTunes U) are due upgrades now. They're rather stylistically different, with keeping the wood grain effect, and haven't received any updates since iOS 7 came out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I thought we were going to get an Apple TV and Remote.app update today, but nope!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Even Apple only has so many designers and developers they can throw at these things. I'm sure those apps will all get updates, it's just going to take time. They updated a lot of apps yesterday.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I guess I misunderstood the Keychain in the iCloud thing they were touting. Is there not an iOS app that syncs with your iCloud account and lets you look at your passwords? Something like 1Password and it's companion app? My boss is terrible with his passwords (at least now he has it in a locked document on his computer), and I've been trying to get him to buy 1Password. But I thought Apple was going to make something for that that worked on their platforms.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 7.0.3 update adds the iCloud keychain features to iOS. I haven't had time to explore it yet but it's in the release notes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You did misunderstand a bit. It's a feature within Safari, not a standalone app.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You can view the passwords stored in Safari via the Settings -> Safari -> Passwords & Autofill settings menu. I think those are the only passwords you can view. Supposedly third party apps can also add their stuff to the iCloud Keychain, but they won't have access to view the keychain entries of other apps of course.

Once more apps add support it will be really convenient because your credentials will be stored and synced across all devices. I wonder if they will add things like network wifi passwords and mail/contacts/calendar account passwords to iCloud Keychain as well. Would be nice to have my account settings and saved wifi networks synced across all my iCloud devices.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

DarkJC posted:

You can view the passwords stored in Safari via the Settings -> Safari -> Passwords & Autofill settings menu. I think those are the only passwords you can view. Supposedly third party apps can also add their stuff to the iCloud Keychain, but they won't have access to view the keychain entries of other apps of course.

Once more apps add support it will be really convenient because your credentials will be stored and synced across all devices. I wonder if they will add things like network wifi passwords and mail/contacts/calendar account passwords to iCloud Keychain as well. Would be nice to have my account settings and saved wifi networks synced across all my iCloud devices.

I think wifi passwords are synced cause I reset my phone and set it up as new and when I got to work it automatically connected to our secured wifi here.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mahoning posted:

You did misunderstand a bit. It's a feature within Safari, not a standalone app.

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. I guess he'll have to go for 1Password himself. I've been using that for a while and it's nice to have a list of your passwords and stuff on the iPhone. Especially if you're not at your own computers.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Technically it's not just Safari passwords. It should be anything that uses Keychain to store its data on iOS/OS X. I noticed Wi-Fi network passwords populating across devices as well.

My iMac now knows about and has passwords for Wi-Fi networks miles and miles away, which is a bit silly since it'll never leave my desk, but hey I guess it's convenient for laptops and iOS devices.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Does anyone know if lastpass will integrate with the OSX keychain? If that's possible, it would be a killer feature combined with iCloud Keychain.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

IUG posted:

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. I guess he'll have to go for 1Password himself. I've been using that for a while and it's nice to have a list of your passwords and stuff on the iPhone. Especially if you're not at your own computers.

I use Dashlane and I really like it. Works on iOS, OSX, Windows and Android.

e: if anyone decides to try Dashlane please use my link so I can get a pro account for 6 months. Mods, if this is a problem please let me know and I'll edit my post.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

I bank with Simple, and it's the best experience I've ever had with any finance/banking app. It's basically Mint, except it's a bank. It's really, really nice and their customer service is loving amazing. If anyone wants to try it out, I think I have a few invites left.

e: US only, sorry.

I too have invites to give, so if anyone would like one feel free to send me a PM with your email address.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder what is so fundamentally different about our banking services that makes these apps (ones that link into your bank's records) so ubiquitous in the States whereas in the UK they're non-existent and you have to rely on your own bank's app to access anything.

Try https://www.waveapps.com - I've used the accounting and invoicing tools for a while and it's great, and based in the UK. No proper iOS app but the website is a nice responsive design that lends itself well to being turned into a web app on your home screen.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Technically it's not just Safari passwords. It should be anything that uses Keychain to store its data on iOS/OS X. I noticed Wi-Fi network passwords populating across devices as well.

My iMac now knows about and has passwords for Wi-Fi networks miles and miles away, which is a bit silly since it'll never leave my desk, but hey I guess it's convenient for laptops and iOS devices.

I don't know if this works because of Keychain but Mavericks and iOS 7 also seems to sync custom autocorrect entries or text shortcuts. Which was quite surprising when drunk friend filled mine with comedy entries and I sent an email to a coworker with my name autocorrected to 'dickface' the following morning.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Neurophonic posted:

Try https://www.waveapps.com - I've used the accounting and invoicing tools for a while and it's great, and based in the UK. No proper iOS app but the website is a nice responsive design that lends itself well to being turned into a web app on your home screen.

This looks nice, but I wish their business was in actually providing online accounting/invoicing (like FreshBooks), and not some nebulous advertising effort. Makes it hard for me to trust their long-term viability / non-creepiness.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So just a heads up if you're a person who uses LinkedIn. They put out a thing to let the native mail app get linkedin info on senders, it's a mitm attack and you should probably be pretty wary of it considering their past history.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

phosdex posted:

So just a heads up if you're a person who uses LinkedIn. They put out a thing to let the native mail app get linkedin info on senders, it's a mitm attack and you should probably be pretty wary of it considering their past history.

I cannot believe this has seen the light of day. It's a TERRIBLE idea. They have been the laughing stock of twitter for the last 12 hours.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

One of my most used and I believe one of the first iOS apps I ever purchased just got a great update. Delivery Status just got a huge update with a new UI, background notifications (no more Mac widget necessary), iCloud syncing (instead of a Junecloud account), 1Password integration, and a lot more. I'm pretty drat stoked and would buy the app again if I could just to show some support for the developer.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

One of my most used and I believe one of the first iOS apps I ever purchased just got a great update. Delivery Status just got a huge update with a new UI, background notifications (no more Mac widget necessary), iCloud syncing (instead of a Junecloud account), 1Password integration, and a lot more. I'm pretty drat stoked and would buy the app again if I could just to show some support for the developer.

How does the 1password integration work? Going to buy anyway I track enough crap on a daily basis.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nask26 posted:

How does the 1password integration work? Going to buy anyway I track enough crap on a daily basis.
Delivery Status can use some merchants' websites directly to get tracking information. So, rather than waiting for Amazon to ship your order, provide you a parcel tracking number, and then adding it to Delivery Status, you can simply give it your Amazon order number. It will talk to Amazon and regularly update that status during "Preparing for shipment, etc." It's really nice for preorders and such.

However this requires access to your Amazon password, which until now relied on Keychain but apparently can now use 1Password instead.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

phosdex posted:

So if you have the LinkedIn app and send from Mail, your recipient sees your LinkedIn info? I don't really see what the big deal is, although it's certainly not great as a matter of principle.

More reason to use Mailbox I guess. :shobon:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Josh Lyman posted:

So if you have the LinkedIn app and send from Mail, your recipient sees your LinkedIn info? I don't really see what the big deal is, although it's certainly not great as a matter of principle.

http://engineering.linkedin.com/mobile/linkedin-intro-doing-impossible-ios

In short, their MitM hack is only installed by installing a custom profile you can download on their website. Just using the LinkedIn app won't do a thing.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

http://engineering.linkedin.com/mobile/linkedin-intro-doing-impossible-ios

In short, their MitM hack is only installed by installing a custom profile you can download on their website. Just using the LinkedIn app won't do a thing.

Which is good because it would be a *massive* security hole in iOS if they could just do that willy-nilly.

I actually think that LinkedIn thing is pretty clever in an evil mad scientist kind of way.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

No, you have to set up linkedin as a proxy server for your email, so they can inject details into emails you receive about the people sending you emails. This involves giving them full access to your inbox.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I actually think that LinkedIn thing is pretty clever in an evil mad scientist kind of way.

It is a clever hack. But it's monstrously irresponsible, from an engineering and PR standpoint. This is not a company with good security credentials. They've already had one user database stolen, and were caught never having salted those passwords therein. And now they want to proxy arbitrary mail connections from around the planet just so they can inject their lovely iframe?

If they really wanted to "add value" to email, they should've built their own mail client and encouraged people to use it for standard email.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
You'd have to be insane to let linkedin (or anyone) proxy your email server. I'd (rightfully) get fired if I did that with my work email, as would most people.

linkedin can be handy, but they're nuts and I don't trust them.

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the new Tweetbot 3 is out.
$2.99 in the App Store. No free upgrades. Rumors are that it is flat, but the old one works fine for me. Not interested. :toot:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

eames posted:

Looks like the new Tweetbot 3 is out.
$2.99 in the App Store. No free upgrades. Rumors are that it is flat, but the old one works fine for me. Not interested. :toot:

It supports the new background refresh stuff so it was an instant buy for me.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah I called that it was going to be a new app. Oh well, already bought it, it's nice though I wish it had a dark theme, it's quite bright.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Does the new Tweetbot still include the gesture where you can swipe to see a conversation? They only showed "swipe for details" in their demo video.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Landscape mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Does the new Tweetbot still include the gesture where you can swipe to see a conversation? They only showed "swipe for details" in their demo video.

I swipe and it shows me a conversation and whose replied to that tweet just like it used to.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Landscape mode?

It doesn't appear to have one. Media appears in landscape if you rotate the device but the Twitter stream itself does nothing.

• Locked thread