Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

etalian posted:

It's mainly because Mavericks is able to make more aggressive use of CPU power saving especially for the new Haswell CPUs.

The only thing specific to Safari is that it blocks flash by default, but there's no doubt a Chrome extension which will do this. The system keeps track of what apps eat the battery anyway so you'll be able to see if Chrome is behaving. In my experience Chrome eats RAM more than it eats CPU so I wouldn't expect the battery figures to be that different between them once power hungry plugins have been disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Oh My Science posted:

I really wanted to see a new TBD. All I can hope for now is a silent refresh before the holidays.

I'm fairly surprised they went on and on about 4k on the MacTube and then didn't announce a 4k display, myself.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh My Science posted:

I really wanted to see a new TBD. All I can hope for now is a silent refresh before the holidays.

I'm sure you'll see it when the Mac Pro is officially released. Why mention it now when you can't buy it and can't buy the Mac Pro anyway.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I went with the 13" I posted about previously. 2.6ghz (upgrade from the 2.4), if the i7 upgrade was quad core I would have done that, 8gb, 256ssd. Delivery supposed to be next week. Been waiting 2 months for the haswell refresh so another week is ok.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Quick question:

Someone's offering me $675 for my mid-2011 Air 1.7GHz dual-core i5. Good deal?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

Quick question:

Plug the model # into ebay and see what people have been buying em for.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Abel Wingnut posted:

Quick question:

Yes

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Yea, seems that way from what I'm seeing. Thanks, guys.

Another question: should I spring for a refurbished rMBP or new rMBP if my main use will be Ableton partnered with a fair amount of plugins? Might get heavily into Logic too. Not sure what the updated rMBP would help with really.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Yea, seems that way from what I'm seeing. Thanks, guys.

Another question: should I spring for a refurbished rMBP or new rMBP if my main use will be Ableton partnered with a fair amount of plugins? Might get heavily into Logic too. Not sure what the updated rMBP would help with really.

Haswell is not about improved CPU performance mainly greatly improved battery life.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

etalian posted:

Haswell is not about improved CPU performance mainly greatly improved battery life.

With that in mind I think I'll pick up this bad boy: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD212LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Only shortcoming seems to be the 128gb SSD but I can make that work easily enough. Looks like it comes with Ivy Bridge, so that's cool too. Especially as I'm coming from the mid-2011 MacBook Air. PrimateLabs seems to suggest it's about 1200 points faster in 32-bit dual-core mode, so that's also cool.

Not really seeing any problems so yea, I guess this is the one.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Is the $1,499 MBP with Retina (I can get it at $1,399) a good entry point to the Mac world? Ready to ditch my Windows laptop so that everything in the house from Apple TV to iPhone will be part of one ecosystem.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Absolutely. It was already awesome now it's better.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

phosdex posted:

I went with the 13" I posted about previously. 2.6ghz (upgrade from the 2.4), if the i7 upgrade was quad core I would have done that, 8gb, 256ssd. Delivery supposed to be next week. Been waiting 2 months for the haswell refresh so another week is ok.

I wonder if we'll see Intel quad core processors in 11 and 13 inch notebooks in two or three generations. That would be nuts for on the go audio production.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

porkface posted:

Two weeks ago they told me it would be $400 to fix because I was out of warranty. When I saw the recall I scheduled a genius bar appointment and put a link to the "recall" notice in the notes field and it was pretty painless.

I should probably note that "painless" means they took it and said they would repair at no cost. However, they still don't have the drives in Portland, OR with no ETA so I'm just kind of chilling.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

porkface posted:

I should probably note that "painless" means they took it and said they would repair at no cost. However, they still don't have the drives in Portland, OR with no ETA so I'm just kind of chilling.

I'm looking at about a week until I get mine back, they're out of drives here in Phoenix too. I was told my hard drive "didn't fit the requirements" to be replaced at first, but my Genius claimed he was able to pull some strings and sneak it through. He confirmed it was a Toshiba (128 GB) though, which as far as I know is the one that's been failing.

Now I just want my MBA back so I can sell it and buy a rMBP.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

Somebody over at ars posted this:

The D500 might be custom silicone. :iiam:

bonus anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6137/the-amd-firepro-w9000-w8000-review-part-1
Closest (but still not exact match) I've been able to find is the Radeon HD 7870XT which doesn't have a FirePro equivalent, but it's based on the Tahiti core like the W8000/W9000. And it seems like Apple's are underclocked a bit in comparison going by their stated TFLOP numbers.

These appear to be the CPUs going by the specs page (with Intel's prices)
http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/
1620v2: 4 core, 3.7 - 3.9ghz, 10MB L3, $294
1620v2: 6 core, 3.5 - 3.9ghz, 12MB L3, $583
1680v2: 8 core, 3.0 - 3.9ghz, 25MB L3, $1723
2697v2: 12 core, 2.7 - 3.5ghz, 30MB L3, $2614

cloudline posted:

It's really weird and offputting that they've canned the discrete GPU in the base 15". I would think it was a strange maneuver even on a non-retina, but on a 15" rMBP that seems insane. Are there any numbers on how good Crystalwell 5200 is?
Same ballpark as the old discrete GPU I think. Integrated doesn't have to mean bad these days, just as discrete doesn't necessarily mean super good.

Caged posted:

The only thing specific to Safari is that it blocks flash by default, but there's no doubt a Chrome extension which will do this. The system keeps track of what apps eat the battery anyway so you'll be able to see if Chrome is behaving. In my experience Chrome eats RAM more than it eats CPU so I wouldn't expect the battery figures to be that different between them once power hungry plugins have been disabled.
Does Chrome work with the new power saving stuff?

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 23, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've posted this question before, and I always get answers, then something happens and I'm not able to upgrade. This time I'm super serial!

I have a 15" MacBook Pro 8,2. I want to put an SSD in it. I am still undecided if I want to replace my optical drive with my HDD, but I think I would want 256GB from the SSD regardless. What are my best options? Any specific brands/models I should be looking at?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Samsung is my default answer for SSDs these days, wait for others to chime in for sure here but I'm assuming this one should be fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

phosdex posted:

I don't know if the price will go up but expect the student discount to go down. Like right now the discount is only $50 on MBA but up to $200 on MBP. I assume once the new MBPs are released the discount will be $50.

A few pages back, but you can actually get $100 off a new MBA with a student discount. When I got my Air a month ago, I went to the store since shipping times were too delayed and my other laptop was dead. They stock a maxed out Air (i7, 8GB, 512GB) which when rung up with a student discount gave me $100 off. It surprised the salesman too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

japtor posted:

Samsung is my default answer for SSDs these days, wait for others to chime in for sure here but I'm assuming this one should be fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/

There is an SSD thread in SHSC. However the EVO is a good choice with the PRO being much better. Check to see what the price difference is, if the PRO isn't much more, go with it.

eames
May 9, 2009

The first Geekbench scores for the 15" rMBP are in the database now.
Looks like this year’s maxed out 2.6 Ghz model is a whole 5% faster than last year’s 2.8 Ghz model. All chips have the same TDP, so there should be zero improvement in heat dissipation and battery life.

Looks like I will regret waiting for the Haswell refresh, but oh well, at least I got some cheap extra SSD storage out of it. :toot:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

Looks like this year’s maxed out 2.6 Ghz model is a whole 5% faster than last year’s 2.8 Ghz model. All chips have the same TDP, so there should be zero improvement in heat dissipation and battery life.

Looks like I will regret waiting for the Haswell refresh, but oh well, at least I got some cheap extra SSD storage out of it. :toot:

It was never about getting that much more out of the CPU in performance. As it has been stated several times .. Haswell is about power savings for mobile devices.

flongofthenight
Aug 2, 2003

sup?
Anyone have any ideas when the new rMBP will be available in Mexico? Right now the Apple store says all models (except old 13") not currently available :(

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I know Apple always claims a "small number" of machines experience issues, but I would love to see how many machines are in for a SSD swap given the amount of time for the repair part to come in. It seems like it has to be significant given how long the wait is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

clockworx posted:

I know Apple always claims a "small number" of machines experience issues, but I would love to see how many machines are in for a SSD swap given the amount of time for the repair part to come in. It seems like it has to be significant given how long the wait is.

Most of the Mac forums are full of people with the issue in the last few months.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I have a 2012 11inch Air with the 128GB Toshiba SSD and LG display. Never had a single issue with either. Holy poo poo, I finally got lucky with a purchase!

*knocks on wood*

eames
May 9, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have a 2012 11inch Air with the 128GB Toshiba SSD and LG display. Never had a single issue with either. Holy poo poo, I finally got lucky with a purchase!

*knocks on wood*

I hope you keep your Time Machine backup up to date. :3:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

*knocks on wood*

I bought an open box '12 rMBP on Amazon and it had a Samsung SSD and display with zero ghosting issues. I feel like I won the lottery :buddy:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eames posted:

Haswell gets the battery life improvements mainly because the whole design was changed to focus on power savings for things such as how it reacts to how CPU high use conditions.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Finally ready to upgrade my 2010 Air.
I'm debating the 13inch rmbp or the 15inch rmpb.
Was debating going to the 15inch since I tend to read/view a couple of things at once. Not sure of the net benefit here considering the the native resolutions are equivalent.
I've noticed I like bigger text - I tend to zoom things in on the Air.
Is there a comparison of the power of Iris Pro to Iris?

I notice I get a lot of Swap Used and Page outs. In 3 days it's been about 3gb for each.
I'm considering upgrading to 16gb on this purchase -- would this be overkill?

I guess I'm glad I waited because of the battery life improvements -- I wonder if the battery life stats of the new pros factor in Mavericks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

All depends on your use but 8GB is more than enough unless you really abuse the laptop.

Also another factor is how much you actually haul the laptop on a daily basis, the 15" form factor is much more clunky and heavy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Will it spoil me posted:

gently caress, I was really excited to replace my aging 2010 MBP, but the rMBP has so many features removed that the pricepoint is unjustifiable. No disc drive or even ethernet port on a 1500 dollar machine is ridiculous. Having a disc drive when I need it is incredibly handy, and carrying around that plug-in thing is super awkward and defeats the purpose of the sleek design. Almost none of the parts like the battery, SSD, or ram replaceable which removes a large amount of control I'd have. This thing is like a Rolls Royce circa 1940 with a locked engine cover and a stated horsepower as "sufficient." Just, damnit.

This probably wont change going forward. People were against floppy drives disappearing as well back in the day. Most people just don't use them, and it's just a cost savings point from both support and the bottom line when it comes down to it. I've got four laptops between here and work, and in the past 13 years I haven't ever had to open one up to install/replace anything. I have burned some CDs and DVDs for sure, but it's not something that I would require to be built-in any longer.

The biggest thing I miss is the serial ports for plugging into switches and such, but the USB adapters these days are generally less clunky than they were 10 years ago.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

etalian posted:

Also another factor is how much you actually haul the laptop on a daily basis, the 15" form factor is much more clunky and heavy.
You speak SO MUCH truth. The 15 inch macbook pro retina is heavier than it looks.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

dino. posted:

You speak SO MUCH truth. The 15 inch macbook pro retina is heavier than it looks.

Plus, from a hardware perspective, the base 15" rMBP does not make a lot of sense.

Less storage than the 13" (too little, at least for me), same amount of RAM and it costs $200 more. Of course it is a quad core machine but I don't think that a ton of folks would realize the performance benefits...

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Just pulled the trigger on the $1,499 rMBP (got it with a $100 government discount). Hopefully I won't return it within the return period. So excited for my first Mac. :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question about Iris:

Does the speed of the CPU affect GPU performance with Iris, or is it like a set GPU on the same dye?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Are the CPU upgrades for the new 13" rMBP worth it? I'm between a 13" Air and a 13" rMBP (8gb/256gb), and leaning toward the rMBP since it's only like $60 more expensive now with the base CPU.

Blah blah blah, Adobe PS/ID/Illustrator/some Premiere CC, some dicking around with XCode, would I notice any difference between the CPU options?

Obviously, nobody's gotten to real-world test these yet but ballpark it for me based on the Ivy Bridge ones and the benchmarks that are already out. I just wanna know if the difference between a bunch of dual-core CPUs that all turbo to roughly the same place would be tangible.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Question about Iris:

Does the speed of the CPU affect GPU performance with Iris, or is it like a set GPU on the same dye?
I don't quite understand your question: are you asking if the GPU's performance is related to the CPU's energy state, or are you asking if the model of the CPU affects GPU performance?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are the CPU upgrades for the new 13" rMBP worth it? I'm between a 13" Air and a 13" rMBP (8gb/256gb), and leaning toward the rMBP since it's only like $60 more expensive now with the base CPU.

Blah blah blah, Adobe PS/ID/Illustrator/some Premiere CC, some dicking around with XCode, would I notice any difference between the CPU options?

Obviously, nobody's gotten to real-world test these yet but ballpark it for me based on the Ivy Bridge ones and the benchmarks that are already out. I just wanna know if the difference between a bunch of dual-core CPUs that all turbo to roughly the same place would be tangible.

The difference between the two i5's should be pretty similar. I went with the 2.6 upgrade because it brought the price to roughly the same as I had already planned on spending on the now-old rMBP. The i7 does have an extra MB of L3 cache, I don't know what that would actually translate to in performance.

If you're doing real PS work I would think upgrading to more ram would be better.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My feeling is that the rMBP 13" CPU upgrades are going to be trivial improvements; by the time you actually do hit a performance wall with the lower tier CPU options, that wall is going to be so high that higher tier CPU's from the same generation won't provide you with any protection from needing to upgrade.