Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

PureRok posted:

the twangy thing

:eng101: You're probably thinking of the shamisen, which incidentally also shows up in the game as a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Maleketh posted:

:eng101: You're probably thinking of the shamisen, which incidentally also shows up in the game as a weapon.

Pretty sure it's a koto. That they use for most of the twangy sounds. But they're both pretty cool.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Er, I don't think this ever got posted. There's a trailer for the next Gundam game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Vk3RA6csk

Check out that framerate being bad. :smith: But hey you can control a Big Zam and apparently Bearguy is in the game so get hype for that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sengoku Basara 4 looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p1qHiY0uOg

RESPECT THE DEER!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm...so far the missions to get the new characters in Orochi Ultimate are pretty phoned in. Like "Someone's fighting over there! It's Kasumi! Yay we joined up with her! Let's kill the bad guys!"

Do they get used effectively in new story missions later, or are they just kinda there for the rest of the game?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DW8 for PS3 will be $24.99 at GameStop on Black Friday, for those who've been waiting for it to be cheap. I'm just going to wait for DW8wXL on PS4.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

DW8 for PS3 will be $24.99 at GameStop on Black Friday, for those who've been waiting for it to be cheap. I'm just going to wait for DW8wXL on PS4.

That's what I'll be doing too, waiting for it to drop on PS4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So this news is very preliminary but information coming out of this week's issue of Famitsu is claiming that Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends will feature both Cross Play AND Cross Save, meaning you should be able to play online with PS3/Vita owners AND transfer your save data (DW8 and/or Xtreme Legends, further info needed) to the PS4 version from PS3/Vita and vice versa. Koei Warriors will probably have a translated article later today.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Policenaut posted:

So this news is very preliminary but information coming out of this week's issue of Famitsu is claiming that Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends will feature both Cross Play AND Cross Save, meaning you should be able to play online with PS3/Vita owners AND transfer your save data (DW8 and/or Xtreme Legends, further info needed) to the PS4 version from PS3/Vita and vice versa. Koei Warriors will probably have a translated article later today.

So my PS3 DW8 data will work on PS4 one? That was my biggest worry honestly, so now I know I'll get the PS4 version assuming this turns out well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hoo boy, here we go. This is getting ugly.
  • You can transfer an existing Dynasty Warriors 8 save game into Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends on either PlayStation 3 or Vita.
  • The PlayStation 3 version just takes the save from the hard drive directly.
  • The PlayStation Vita version requires you to upload your DW8 save data online and then download said save data on the Vita version, ala Hotline Miami. No idea how you'll get that DW8 save data online, maybe it will be a patched in feature?
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends cannot take a vanilla Dynasty Warriors 8 PS3 save, but there is a workaround.
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends will accept a Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends PS3/Vita save game. This means you will have to upload your save data from the vanilla game to DW8XL on PS3 and/or Vita, then make a copy of that save in DW8XL and upload said save to the cloud, and THEN you'll be able to access that data on DW8wXL on PlayStation 4. Yes, you will seriously have to own a copy of XL on PlayStation 3 and/or Vita to transfer to DW8wXL if this translation is accurate.
  • All downloadable content for the PS3 version of Dynasty Warriors 8 is compatible with Xtreme Legends on PS3. Vita will be able to access most of it but "some special store bonuses" will be excluded. PS4 DLC sharing unconfirmed.
Again, this information is just coming out and I would wait for the dedicated at Koei Warriors to do their analysis but this is looking kind of dire.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's really cheeky. I can see getting around it by buying 8/XL digitally and then using the digital upgrade (which "only" costs 500 yen more than just buying XL on PS4) or just borrowing someone else's disc, but surely they want to make it as easy as possible to make sure they actually bother on PS4?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Overall I'm more than happy to start a fresh savegame on the Vita. Will there be a separate trophy set for the Vita, for the cheevwhores?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

5er posted:

Overall I'm more than happy to start a fresh savegame on the Vita. Will there be a separate trophy set for the Vita, for the cheevwhores?

There isn't on Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate, but it is separate to the base Musou Orochi 2 one. I don't know how XL/Empires work though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just want those games to be localized.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pureauthor posted:

I just want those games to be localized.

Yeah, first things first :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

edit: I misread this, but if you're down SW2 HD has a trophy list for both Xtreme Legends and Empires.

Please localize, Koei :(

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I appreciate that they've announced like seven new suits for Shin Gundam Musou and all but two of them are SEED suits (the other two are Angelo's Geara Zulu so more Unicorn stuff, blegh, and Beargguy). I'll never understand Japanese fans' fascination with SEED, it's such a bad series.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I don't know how long I can continue to buy these games until they include Gundam Maxter.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I just want some more Victory stuff and anything from 0080 but they're not that popular over there so I may as well just be happy with what's already there.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Suben posted:

I just want some more Victory stuff and anything from 0080 but they're not that popular over there so I may as well just be happy with what's already there.

I'm sure Musha Gundam 1 and 2 are on lock down the road but I really hope they bring back Knight Gundam. He was cool as hell in 3.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

True. Sucks that I don't see the Gottrlattan on that roster any more. Fun little machine. The Victory-1 looks like it would fit well with the new game mechanics, too.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I don't think they'll be dropping any mobile suits. This is Koei after all. I think they learned their lesson after DW6.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Belzac posted:

I don't think they'll be dropping any mobile suits. This is Koei after all. I think they learned their lesson after DW6.

DWG3 dropped a couple years after DW6, and it dropped mobile suits and characters from 2. Not, you know, a lot, but it happened.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

AzraelNewtype posted:

DWG3 dropped a couple years after DW6, and it dropped mobile suits and characters from 2. Not, you know, a lot, but it happened.

I hated 2 so I guess I didn't notice they did actually dropped a little from it for 3. Looking it up it looks like they mostly dropped Char's Counterattack stuff, Johnny Ridden, and Sarah from Zeta.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I hope they bring back Johnny Ridden. Don't know why, but I like him a lot.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As long as the game immediately sends you another politely titled email from Setsuna, I'm good.

Seeing

"Subject: By the way..."
"Body: I AM GUNDAM!!!"

was the perfect introduction to the game as a whole.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I was holding off on getting DW8 until I read they returned to a not-garbage final weapon unlock system.

BUT, if I liked DW4/5 the most would WO3 or DW8 give me more of a "Fun to unlock things and grind out characters" vibe? DW7's story mode almost can't be beat, but conquest is garbage, and the ability to use a max level weapon on every single character (DLC ring blade absurdity) is a bit unbalanced and pointless.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New trailer for Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRpGsCgDq3Q

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

New trailer for Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRpGsCgDq3Q
This might be the first Xtreme Legends I buy.

Also did anyone ever tell Koei that "Xtreme Legends" is a really, really stupid name?

edit: is there an upgrade path to the PS4 version, like with a few cross-generation games in the West?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 30, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: is there an upgrade path to the PS4 version, like with a few cross-generation games in the West?

The Japanese have a next generation upgrade for the PS4 version, but I don't know if TK will do it overseas if and when they bring it stateside.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Oh, Fa Zheng's weapon is a magic carpet of death, good to know.

And Zhu Ran's blaze bow...what the hell, we're totally playing Dragon's Dogma now :getin:

Why are Koei's trailers always so low quality?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I do love Sima Yi's new EX attack. The man needs more ominous laughter.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I decided to go back and replay some Samurai Warriors 2 instead of buying a new one, and god drat. They made Dynasty Warriors 6 right after this didn't they? Did TK fire everyone even remotely involved?

I vaguely remember SW1 having a branching path in one of the missions where assassinating someone in time gets you a completely different stage path, or was it performing one of the troop formations that ended up turning the side of the battle and led to another mission? Either way I really miss that from the newer games. Did it end up being too much work to make "What if" scenarios? (And that's not counting DW4 where getting half of the items/characters/stages involved you playing a specific stage doing obscure or difficult things as a specific character.)

From what I've read 8 brought that back to some extent, but something about still allowing you to use Lu Bu's Max level weapon on every character doesn't feel right to me.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

I decided to go back and replay some Samurai Warriors 2 instead of buying a new one, and god drat. They made Dynasty Warriors 6 right after this didn't they? Did TK fire everyone even remotely involved?

I vaguely remember SW1 having a branching path in one of the missions where assassinating someone in time gets you a completely different stage path, or was it performing one of the troop formations that ended up turning the side of the battle and led to another mission? Either way I really miss that from the newer games. Did it end up being too much work to make "What if" scenarios? (And that's not counting DW4 where getting half of the items/characters/stages involved you playing a specific stage doing obscure or difficult things as a specific character.)

From what I've read 8 brought that back to some extent, but something about still allowing you to use Lu Bu's Max level weapon on every character doesn't feel right to me.

Ehh, I wouldn't say his weapon is the end-all thing. It can't (normally) be modified in terms of special effects and stuff like the lightning strikes and Slash are what makes a weapon break the game and instant kill everything. Personally I like being able to use any weapon any character. Stuff like that is what you usually see from game mods like in Resident Evil when they put melee moves on different characters, for example Wesker using Jill's Head Grab from RE5. Play your favorite character with your favorite weapon.

And the Halberd is easily outclassed by the throwing knives :smug:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I especially liked the end of that trailer where Lu Bu was like "You guys keep your hands off my daughter!"

It doesn't look like she needs your help, dad.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I especially liked the end of that trailer where Lu Bu was like "You guys keep your hands off my daughter!"

It doesn't look like she needs your help, dad.

Considering in her first battle she went up against Xiahou Dun and Yu Jin at the same time during the battle at Xiapi (in that trailer's cutscene) I think she'll need a little support.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

Considering in her first battle she went up against Xiahou Dun and Yu Jin at the same time during the battle at Xiapi (in that trailer's cutscene) I think she'll need a little support.

Historicity sure won't! :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Lunethex posted:

Oh, Fa Zheng's weapon is a magic carpet of death, good to know.

And Zhu Ran's blaze bow...what the hell, we're totally playing Dragon's Dogma now :getin:

Why are Koei's trailers always so low quality?

Because that isn't the official trailer. This is the 720p version but out by TK themselves.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Here's the HD version of the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Is that a Dynasty Warriors clock at the end???????????