Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Or your diplomat is one of those geniuses completely unable to explain how they do what they do. "Just make them like you!" is unhelpful instruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Le0 posted:

Also regarding succession laws. I'm currently running Primogeniture but was wondering if I turned it to elective can I flat out lose the vote? I mean can another person that the one I selected get voted? I guess only if my vassals are not happy with me?

The trick to elective (which is pointed out in LPs and I totally missed originally) is that every person is one vote. Even if you own almost everything you're still equal to Duke Worthless of Twocounties when it comes to your heir unless you win purely on the tiebreaker vote. It's good when you have a small realm but poo poo gets out of hand once you have many dozens of vassals. Unless you're running at a really small scale or bending over for your vassals then you're probably going to lose land.

Elective does let you work around having idiot early children followed by superbabies, but most of the time it just seems like the thing you pick because Gavelkind sucks and Primo requires high authority.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Is there a way to mod the 'Designated Heir' honorary title into non-Republic games and have it work properly in a Primogeniture succession? Or is it too tied into the Republic succession system?

e: Nevermind, looks like it's hardcoded to patricians

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Le0 posted:

Also regarding succession laws. I'm currently running Primogeniture but was wondering if I turned it to elective can I flat out lose the vote? I mean can another person that the one I selected get voted? I guess only if my vassals are not happy with me?

The key to elective is to make sure all elector titles are held by your dynasty. Every single one. When 99/100 lords of the realm are blood relatives, "losing" an election just means getting a suboptimal heir from your dynasty.

Even when I'm not using elective I make it a priority to populate as many count and duke-level holdings as possible with dynasty members. Having the same culture and the +5 "same dynasty" buff are really handy on their own.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The key to elective is to make sure all elector titles are held by your dynasty. Every single one. When 99/100 lords of the realm are blood relatives, "losing" an election just means getting a suboptimal heir from your dynasty.

Nothing like having your games succession move laterally. One day part of me wants to mod a Kingdom to be full of Republics under an Elective Monarchy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Boing posted:

Is there a way to mod the 'Designated Heir' honorary title into non-Republic games and have it work properly in a Primogeniture succession? Or is it too tied into the Republic succession system?

e: Nevermind, looks like it's hardcoded to patricians

Could you make a reasonable imitation by having the title set to use 'Born in the Purple', stripping the trait from whatever children are born with it, and using the 'Despot' honorary title that makes them count as 'Born in the Purple' (thus leap-frogging the succession)?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DStecks posted:

Maybe your kid was just a bit of a poo poo?

Seems so. He was the heir to the newly reformed Roman Empire too. Some things never change.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SkySteak posted:

Nothing like having your games succession move laterally. One day part of me wants to mod a Kingdom to be full of Republics under an Elective Monarchy.

I did that once, I replaced the Dukes of the Byzantine empire over time with republics. The result was that because republican rulers were not eligible in the feudal election, the only people eligible for election were my children and grandchildren. As an experiment I gave out the kingdom titles, and it had an interesting unintended consequence; whenever a coastal duchy-level republic revolted against their liege, they temporarily became my direct vassal (that's normal), and then because they were now a direct vassal to a feudal lord and no longer under the thumb of a higher republic, immediately became a merchant republic in their own right (not so normal), and then, because a merchant republic cannot be a vassal of another republic, at the conclusion of the war they would not integrate back into the kingdom title as a vassal, leaving me stuck with them (interesting but also very annoying).

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I'm coming back to CK2 after leaving it aside for a while. Are there any mods considered high-quality or even indispensable at this point?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Noreaus posted:

I'm coming back to CK2 after leaving it aside for a while. Are there any mods considered high-quality or even indispensable at this point?

CK2+ is still pretty good.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I had a weird thing happen to me. I built a castle in Kildare and after building it up handed it off to an unmarried distant kinsman. Apparently he died and the barony title shifted to some podunk 1-county duchy in Spain. I had to go to war to take it back. How does that happen?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Clanpot Shake posted:

I had a weird thing happen to me. I built a castle in Kildare and after building it up handed it off to an unmarried distant kinsman. Apparently he died and the barony title shifted to some podunk 1-county duchy in Spain. I had to go to war to take it back. How does that happen?

Was this distant kinsman in any way related to this Spanish count?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Clanpot Shake posted:

It'll be something obscure like he married one of his daughters to someone with a claim on the Spanish county, they then managed to press the claim and became landed. At the same time all of his other kids died before he did so his barony went to the daughter, whose kids were of the Spanish dynasty and were heirs to both that county and your barony. It's fairly common, especially with large families. Not so great when suddenly you realise that Francia owns a barony in your de jure realm though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sons of Abraham will allow Jewish rulers to restore the Kingdom of Israel.

:getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DStecks posted:

Sons of Abraham will allow Jewish rulers to restore the Kingdom of Israel.

:getin:

The Paradox forums are going to implode, aren't they?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Will there be Jewish heresies? (is that even a thing?)

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Clanpot Shake posted:

It is a thing. Known as Christianity. :getin:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

Interestingly it looks like heresies as a whole might become something like the various flavors of Orthodox, with their own leaders, holy sites, and other attributes. Which may mean that while Jewish heresies exist, they could act more like separate schools of thought rather than just a different type of Judaism that makes everyone hate you.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started a new game as Svithjod.
Within 10 years I'm King of Sweden and the only thing stopping me from being King of Norway is the cost of creating the title.
I also betrothed my son to the daughter of the Petty King of Sjaelland (she has one older brother). With any luck, they'll have a kid and I can press a claim before my current king dies.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Is there any way to find out what alliances you have, or anybody else has, without manually checking everybody's extended family to see if they're married to close relatives of landed characters?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Clanpot Shake posted:

Since the destruction of the second temple & the diaspora, Judaism has mostly been too decentralized for there to be a real notion of 'heresy', in the same way as you get with more organized religions like Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy. You might as well ask, 'are there Protestant heresies?'

There were definitely beliefs that fell well outside of the norm of Judaism, though. For example, quite a number of people claimed to be the Jewish Messiah, even well after Christ. My personal favorite, and probably the most notable, is Sabbatai Zevi, who gained wide support across all of European Jewry before he... was arrested by the Ottoman Sultan and forced to convert to Islam. Which wiped out most of his following, unsurprisingly. (Though he still has some followers, even today.)

In any case, I imagine that a 'reformed Judaism' that's reclaimed the Kingdom of Jerusalem would have enough structure & authority for there to be heresies again. (Anything not approved by the High Priest and his Sanhedrin.)

DStecks posted:

Is there any way to find out what alliances you have, or anybody else has, without manually checking everybody's extended family to see if they're married to close relatives of landed characters?

There should be an 'alliances' tab in the characters screen; far right, in the same row as 'family', 'court', 'vassals', etc.

Note that some of the 'allies' may actually be vassals, and thus unhelpful. (Check the color-coding.)

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have a question about the inheritance warning. I married my son to a duchess in France. I also gave him a county in England to govern. It gave me the warning that if he died that land would be outside my realm, as I guess it would fall to his wife, who is the vassal of the king of France. I made him a duke, thinking the title level had something to do with it, but that didn't help.

How do I deal with this? My son reports to me, but his wife has land in France and reports to the king of France.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

In any case, I imagine that a 'reformed Judaism' that's reclaimed the Kingdom of Jerusalem would have enough structure & authority for there to be heresies again. (Anything not approved by the High Priest and his Sanhedrin.)
It seems like the pagan reform mechanics would work nicely for this.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

I have a question about the inheritance warning. I married my son to a duchess in France. I also gave him a county in England to govern. It gave me the warning that if he died that land would be outside my realm, as I guess it would fall to his wife, who is the vassal of the king of France. I made him a duke, thinking the title level had something to do with it, but that didn't help.

How do I deal with this? My son reports to me, but his wife has land in France and reports to the king of France.

Make sure your son dies before his wife & also make sure that your grandson hasn't been given land by his mum.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

I hope that this expansion basically reworks Islamic dynasties from the ground up. I don't mind Decadence being a mechanic for muslims, but over time muslims as a whole have been needlessly restricted in terms of modding or personal realm laws (gender laws, etc) compared to other religions. Plus, everything I've learned about the Ottomans makes me hate Open Succession currently. The Beyliks of Anatolia basically practiced a combination of Gavelkind and "the strongest holy warrior attracts the most followers" in terms of succession, not Open Succession. In game terms, the Ottomans were the only kingdom to adopt Open Succession, and that wasn't really a thing until Mehmed II declared what's known as the Fratricide Law in the 1470s, which is 20 years after the game ends. Before that, the Ottomans just were either really lucky in having just one willing heir, or in the case of Bayezid I's inglorious end, a decade-long civil war between his four sons while Timur laughed in the background. Open Succession as it currently works isn't just chronologically inaccurate, but it historically applies to absolutely nobody outside of the Turks, and not even all the time at that.

I'm a lameo because I haven't played a Muslim ruler because I want to at least have to possibility of having a female ruler...

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm a lameo because I haven't played a Muslim ruler because I want to at least have to possibility of having a female ruler...

I like playing as a Muslim since, when I am not roleplaying, I tend to err on the side of being a nice guy with plenty of piety. That said, I don't like having to prune my family tree so aggressively as you're supposed to - so I only do those games in CK2+

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I like playing as a Muslim since, when I am not roleplaying, I tend to err on the side of being a nice guy with plenty of piety. That said, I don't like having to prune my family tree so aggressively as you're supposed to - so I only do those games in CK2+

Prune the tree? I've been trying to have as large a family as possible. When I find some 70 year old distant kinsman widower I'll marry him off to a 20-something hotness with Lustful just so he makes more people I can marry to claimants. Is this is a bad idea?

e; the moral implications of the actions this game rewards are horrible.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I just turn off the decadence mechanic and playing as a Muslim becomes pretty tolerable. Should have more options though, which this new DLC seem to be adding.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Clanpot Shake posted:

Prune the tree? I've been trying to have as large a family as possible. When I find some 70 year old distant kinsman widower I'll marry him off to a 20-something hotness with Lustful just so he makes more people I can marry to claimants. Is this is a bad idea?
If you're playing a Muslim this will eventually cause unstoppable decadence growth.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Make sure your son dies before his wife & also make sure that your grandson hasn't been given land by his mum.

This will work. More generally: his heir is probably not going to be his wife, and you can check succession order by hovering over the county coat of arms.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Will the game offer the historically accurate but ultimately too tragic tactic of "Blame the Jews" in order to raise your approval? Lets hope not.

"We are sick and have Typhus."
"Uh... Jews poisoned the well!"

"You are an illegitimate ruler!"
"Uh... sounds like something a secret Jew would say!"

"You cannot get divorced from your wife as a Christian!"
"I could not... if not for the fact shes actually a secret Jew!"

"Taxes are too high!"
"Uh... Jew! Woah, really? That worked? Sweet."

"The Muslims have declared a holy war!"
"Uh... Jew something... yeah, Jews. That is my stance."

"Turns out Jesus was not the lord and the G-d of Abraham has come down and a reckoning against those who have suffered his chosen tribe is occurring!"
"gently caress."

--------------------

On the Muslim note I have found the only correct thing to do is to kill your brothers and sisters and their children as soon as you take power since it is mostly looked upon as an alright thing to do. If one of my sisters is particularly horrible, I'll marry her off to a rial leader so they can enjoy the genetic pollution of my blind, insane, weak, and lame sister who I swear is really cool when you get to know her.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who enjoys the decadence mechanic/slaughtering brothers in vanilla CK2. It's not historical (unless you count the Ottomans centuries later, I guess) but it's just never bothered me that much. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's fun once and it would be fine to keep as an option, but it makes every single Muslim ruler play exactly the same.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ray and Shirley posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who enjoys the decadence mechanic/slaughtering brothers in vanilla CK2. It's not historical (unless you count the Ottomans centuries later, I guess) but it's just never bothered me that much. :(

I used to not care myself, but once I decided to assassinate the infant king of Jerusalem and the event basically read that a nanny snuck into his nursery and smothered him to death - the button read "this world is too cruel for children."

Not enough frowny faces in the world for what I felt like after that :(

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I once played a Umayyad game where I refused to jail family members, and instead gave them land grants. I would then console jump to my favorite relative right before every decadence invasion. It ended up being pretty fun, but now I'm pretty sick of the decadence mechanic entirely.

I kinda wish I still had that game to export. Pretty much everything west of Greece was under the control of the Umayyads by the end, though split between about 20 warring mini-states.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, it seems to me like being a Muslim hinders a large part of the game I enjoy, which is seeing where my bloodlines lead.

I think in my next game when SoA comes out, I'm going to mod in a trait like Sayyid that is given to anyone who has a parent with that trait, just to see where my bloodline ends up leading without having to comb through the family trees.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Le0 posted:

Thanks for the info guys. I've been in bad shape in my current game and while I'm owning 2/3 of Ireland and 3 county of Wales I have no one with more than 11/12 in Stewardship or Intrigue :eng99:

If you're celtic, go Tanistry for flavour + as long as you have members in your dynasty you can't lose.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Any word on if they're going to allow the Orthodox, Miaphysites, and Jews to great holy war in some respect? I find it kind of weird that they can't now, but literally every other religion can (Three of which the PLAYER can control.)

Actually, has anything about Orthodoxy and/or Miaphysitism been mentioned at all?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Even when I'm not using elective I make it a priority to populate as many count and duke-level holdings as possible with dynasty members. Having the same culture and the +5 "same dynasty" buff are really handy on their own.

Conversely, family member vassals are less happy about Elective than other vassals. Elective Succession gives you +20 relations with all of your vassals, except for family members, who instead get -5 relations. So while you still get to choose your heir (most of the time) and you eliminate the risk of losing your main title to an NPC, you also lose the stabilizing effect of the huge relations boost. I usually populate some elector titles with family members, since it's always good to have some backup compromise choices in case your chosen heir isn't popular enough to be elected (or dies or sucks or whatever), but there's no need at all to put a family member in every single possible elector seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Any word on if they're going to allow the Orthodox, Miaphysites, and Jews to great holy war in some respect? I find it kind of weird that they can't now, but literally every other religion can (Three of which the PLAYER can control.)

Actually, has anything about Orthodoxy and/or Miaphysitism been mentioned at all?

Well, it's 'Sons of Abraham' so I'd imagine there'll be changes to all forms of Christianity (of which Orthodox is obviously one), changes to all forms of Islam and the addition of Judaism.

I have a feeling that this DLC will add Jews and lots of new features for those three religions but will hold off on the playable theocracies for now, especially considering they've committed themselves to making another two years of content. They'll want to have theocracies have their own DLC I reckon, which is kind of fair enough given how much work it would take to get them working properly.

• Locked thread