Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThommyG
Nov 4, 2009
This game is basically a filler entry until the next gen Rocksteady-produced Batman comes out, will be highly derivative of Arkham City...and I'm still excited to play it and will be picking it up on day. I'm going in expecting to be underwhelmed, knowing the goofy grin that will pop on my face when I finish off my first fight with a gang of goons with a 35 string combo and a pile of broken arms all around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Hmm...based off what I'm reading of her bio, and the War Games crossover, it could be!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Human Crouton posted:

Ok then. It's nearly baseless since we only see 1/4th of a second of this scene in the trailer, and that we don't see her in the other games, but does anyone else think that the woman at 1:49 may be Leslie Thompkins?

It looks more like the female doctor that was working with Zsasz in Arkham Asylum.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I always liked the idea that Batman was actually thrown in Arkham city with the rest of the crazies, and the whole story was just his mind trying to justify it or whatever :allears:

That makes sense, especially with how snappy he becomes to Oracle during the side mission with Hush when she suggests he might've gone crazy from being drugged by Scarecrow or Mad Hatter on such a frequent basis.

Neo Rasa posted:

It looks more like the female doctor that was working with Zsasz in Arkham Asylum.

Maybe it's pre-villainy Harley Quinn?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

ThommyG posted:

This game is basically a filler entry until the next gen Rocksteady-produced Batman comes out, will be highly derivative of Arkham City...and I'm still excited to play it and will be picking it up on day. I'm going in expecting to be underwhelmed, knowing the goofy grin that will pop on my face when I finish off my first fight with a gang of goons with a 35 string combo and a pile of broken arms all around me.
This is basically me, except I'm even more cynical and I think that this has a good chance of being a bad game. That said, I've been replaying Arkham Asylum/City over the last week and I'm genuinely up for a new challenge so I'm probably going to pre-order in a moment of weakness anyway.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Not a sign of the Joker. This could go either way. He's not one of the assasins, but we know he is there. He has got to be there for something

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gorn Myson posted:

This is basically me, except I'm even more cynical and I think that this has a good chance of being a bad game. That said, I've been replaying Arkham Asylum/City over the last week and I'm genuinely up for a new challenge so I'm probably going to pre-order in a moment of weakness anyway.

I already had the moment of weakness Monday. I came so close too. I'm hoping it's more derivative of Asylum even if it takes place in Gotham City again, Asylum was a much more tight, focused game, and while City was good, its lack of focus and cohesion led to an overall weaker experience even if it had a lot more substance.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Trickjaw posted:

Not a sign of the Joker. This could go either way. He's not one of the assasins, but we know he is there. He has got to be there for something

Current rumor, from those that have been playing the game is that The Joker is somehow operating on information sent him from the future, about his death from the disease caused by the titan formula, and that he is manipulating the entire scenario in a way that young Batman will have enough experience by the end of the game to take on Bane. He then creates a situation where Batman must kill Bane, making certain that Bane cannot be experimented on in Arkham Asylum, thus never giving The Joker the opportunity to kill himself with the titan formula.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Trickjaw posted:

They even got Troy Baker, a big name voice actor, to voice him, so they wouldn't just throw away all that money to have the Joker show up for 5 minutes then disappear.

edit: ^ Holy poo poo that is insane and I genuinely hope that is what happens.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 23, 2013

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Current rumor, from those that have been playing the game is that The Joker is somehow operating on information sent him from the future, about his death from the disease caused by the titan formula, and that he is manipulating the entire scenario in a way that young Batman will have enough experience by the end of the game to take on Bane. He then creates a situation where Batman must kill Bane, making certain that Bane cannot be experimented on in Arkham Asylum, thus never giving The Joker the opportunity to kill himself with the titan formula.
You can tell that two of the writers from the Assassin's Creed games worked on this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I hope this is 100% true.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This actually made it to an early development stage before being scrapped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65IsSRMi4i0

It seems like a Victorian-era Batman would have to favor the detective aspects more heavily unless they did some steampunk-type gadgets.

A hammer horror Batman would own own own, and I hope they actually do try to make this. Although you know what? They should just use this development test as a basis for a non-Batman hammer horror style game.

They could really pump up the lighting effects of London fog.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Current rumor, from those that have been playing the game is that
Okay, I'm on board with that 100%.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Uhhhh... if he has foreknowledge of dying from Titan, why not just avoid infecting himself?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Karpaw posted:

Uhhhh... if he has foreknowledge of dying from Titan, why not just avoid infecting himself?

Or just have Bane or Dr. Young killed in any other way, really.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is not going to happen, but I want it so badly.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Karpaw posted:

Well, this is the Joker we're talking about.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Karpaw posted:

Well, where's the fun (and peripheral destruction) in that?!

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I mean The Joker has proved that he's willing to kill himself to gently caress with Batman countless times. Even in that first scene over the elevator shaft in Asylum.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One of the voices in the police station infiltration sounds to me like her. I think the one you hear over the tanoy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's one thing I've always been confused about. She was a doctor before? How is that even possible? Or did her association with the Joker make her both crazy AND dumb as a post, and she wasn't either thing before?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I forsee a backlash against this one.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's one thing I've always been confused about. She was a doctor before? How is that even possible? Or did her association with the Joker make her both crazy AND dumb as a post, and she wasn't either thing before?

I think that she was a PhD Psychologist, not an MD Psychiatrist, at least.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Her backstory had her as a psychiatrist who worked with the Joker, who eventually turned her to his side, more or less. It's not certain whether or not she was any good, but there you go.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RBX posted:

I forsee a backlash against this one.

The game? Why?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

She was a psychiatrist or something. So not a real doctor.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

great, a recton of the first two Batman arkham games, AND time travel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's something you'll probably appreciate from the Mobile game.

:toot: But I really hope it's in the console game, because I don't play mobile games.

redbackground posted:

Okay, I'm on board with that 100%.

Why? In god's name, why?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

In other medium I would say this is way too stupid to happen but then I remember comic books. :sigh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Thranguy posted:

I think that she was a PhD Psychologist, not an MD Psychiatrist, at least.
So the joke is that any crazy idiot can get a PhD in psychology, or something?

edit: also I'm pretty sure "psychiatrist" implies they have a MD as well, since they can prescribe meds and stuff. Can you imagine Harley with the power to write prescriptions for powerful brain medications, even pre-crazy?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 23, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Psychologist, Psychiatrist. Whichever is the fake one.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

She's never struck me as dumb, exactly; just really insecure & dependent on other people, mainly because Joker spends a lot of time rarefying that part of her personality though abuse. Whenever she's away from him long enough she gets better at thinking things through and taking care of herself, but she's pretty much too far gone to ever be 100% again.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also I'm pretty sure "psychiatrist" implies they have a MD as well, since they can prescribe meds and stuff. Can you imagine Harley with the power to write prescriptions for powerful brain medications, even pre-crazy?

No, there's no joke. The point is she was a capable professional who was broken by the Joker. IE, you don't gently caress with the Joker & you don't try to empathize. He's a force of nature, not a man. Harley is both a caricature of a woman in an abusive relationship where the abuser has totally cut you off from reality, and a caricature of a junkie who is ruining her life and destroying her mind while single-mindedly pursuing a destructive substance.

She's also suffering an extreme Batman universe version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybristophilia

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 23, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Aphrodite posted:

Psychologist, Psychiatrist. Whichever is the fake one.

Astrologist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It depends on the writing. The (stupid) backstory is "lol, dumb woman slept her way to the top." Even in comics they've moved away from that backstory which should highlight just how dumb it is and have gone towards a "she's smarter than she looks but has problems" backstory.

Oh, except in the Nu 52 where she's exactly The Joker only in skimpy clothing. She even fell into a vat of acid which made her skin turn while and blew up a bunch of children.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crappy Jack posted:

Her backstory had her as a psychiatrist who worked with the Joker, who eventually turned her to his side, more or less. It's not certain whether or not she was any good, but there you go.

She has some audio logs in Asylum IIRC, and I'm pretty sure in either Asylum or City you can find her degree on a wall somewhere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hanging out with Joker all the time probably leads to breathing in a lot of gasses you shouldn't. She probably just has brain damage.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Oh man, we're close. It's 7am here right now, and it's going to unlock at 2am tomorrow!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Why? In god's name, why?
Long-term terrible personal taste?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Oh man, we're close. It's 7am here right now, and it's going to unlock at 2am tomorrow!

6 PM in God's One True Time Zone! I didn't know Steam was unlocking it early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
It's been a long time since I read Mad Love, but if I remember correctly Harley actually had a degree in clinical psychology. She goes to Arkham because she wants to write a tell-all book about the super-criminals there so she's not really in it for the right reasons but begins empathizing with the Joker when he plays her with a BS backstory about his childhood.

• Locked thread