Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Stephenls posted:

I would be interested in that, yeah. I've wondered what was up with that demon's wings since I first noticed they appeared to be cardboard cutouts outlined in scribbly pencil.

Here you go! Orcus with original wings. It took me about 2 or 3 aborted color schemes to arrive on this one. No worries if the paint job is not your cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Awesome!

Hey, mind if I post that on the Reaper boards (with attribution, of course)? Folks'd be keen to see what the mini looks like, I'm sure.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

JackMann posted:

Awesome!

Hey, mind if I post that on the Reaper boards (with attribution, of course)? Folks'd be keen to see what the mini looks like, I'm sure.

Very glad you like it!

I need to double check if it's cool to post it there.

I've PM'd you and will follow-up again via PM as soon as I get an answer (from my Reaper contact). I want to make sure I'm not creating problems on the official forum with the original wings. Pretty much why I haven't chopped the image back up and posted it to the gallery there yet.

Likely all it will need is a disclaimer like "The wings will be different in the production version", but better safe than sorry in their backyard.

**edit: double check done; is all good. Thanks!

MisterG fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So did they forget about expansion #3 (the pink one) or what? We met the goal for the previous unlock on that expansion, and they added that goal to the expansion, but they haven't shown us the next goal on it, and we've had multiple updates since then. Right now, that expansion is apparently in some sort of limbo, where all we know is "there are other things that could be added at some point." Which is par for the course except they always tell us what the next goal is for each category.

Also, who's brilliant idea was Sophie? Did they not take note of how many people opted to ditch Sophie during the last kickstarter?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
At least this time she's actually useful, but still- we already have a mascot mini in. Adding a second seems a bit pointless.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Talkie Toaster posted:

At least this time she's actually useful, but still- we already have a mascot mini in. Adding a second seems a bit pointless.

Ehh, probably not: I suspect she's oversized.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The thing about last KS's Sophie was you could exchange each one for 25 dollars worth of other stuff. Frankly, I think it is insane they made that offer. With the Sophies I exchanged, I bought five more full Vampire sets instead. I think they shot themselves in the foot by putting that on the table at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'd be happy trading this one for $10 of stuff. Or $5. Or just having something interesting chosen for me instead and, you know, never even hearing about the Sophie. :what:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I'd be happy trading this one for $10 of stuff. Or $5. Or just having something interesting chosen for me instead and, you know, never even hearing about the Sophie. :what:

Its bonesium, not metal like the last one, so if they did a trade in (they won't) it would be like $2. Maaaaybe $5 if it isn't 28mm. I think we are going to be stuck trying to dump her on ebay or trading after it ships to get rid of Sophie this time.

Edit for some not-sophie-complaining content:
The cardboard-winged demon lord made an appearance in their new video, looks the same as MisterG's:

Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 23, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

:drat:

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
This close to the end I really don't like not even knowing when the later parts of the expansions will unlock. Also it seems like they are slowing way down on additions to the core set. I'm interested to see where they are going overall but I really dislike this expansion setup.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Yeah I'll be honest, I am really not excited about much of anything in this Kickstarter. Just the odd model here and there. I'd rather pay full price for them. I think I'm going to pull out. :smith: I was bouncing like an excited toddler in the first few days too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"Troll slayer sophie" shows up in the "core set extras" image on the main KS page for $2. She's not in the pledge calculator, which means either they haven't added her yet or you can't buy extras (probably the former). Also that means she's surely at normal 28mm scale, so I guess if you need a winged horned woman with her navel showing for your D&D game, there you go!

So, whoopee, we got a single $2 model as the first core set add-on that isn't cheap plastic bases since "under the sea" was added on October 16th, a week ago. And the one before that was a single model (Mr. Bones), and before that another bag of cheap plastic bases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I went through the pledge calculator and found $80 worth of bones that I wanted to trade for my core set.

Being unable to line-item stuff from the expansions is a real drag here.

These expansions packaged a lot of cool stuff with a lot of stuff I don't care about. If you could pick one free with your core, it would be a good deal. But now it's just two bundle deals I'm not exited about.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baby Sathanas posted:

Yeah I'll be honest, I am really not excited about much of anything in this Kickstarter. Just the odd model here and there. I'd rather pay full price for them. I think I'm going to pull out. :smith: I was bouncing like an excited toddler in the first few days too.
Yeah, me too. I jumped ship the other day. I don't know if it is too soon after the previous one, or the novelty of having hundreds of minis I'll never paint has worn off, but the whole thing seems boring to me this time around. Maybe it's because they blew the cool model load on the previous Bones?

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Let's be honest. Even if the value is still pretty good. I am really highly considering dropping to a 1$ pledge and getting the paints + one good looking big mini. The more they update, the less excited I get.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The Trollslayer Sophie is the first bones one, and of their standard mini scale. Extras are 2 bucks each.

They said there's more to add to the core set, but already it's a good deal if you like most of them. Which I do.

They've also noted that if somehow the expansions don't fill out, they'll do something to still make them worthwhile. You won't just get stuck with a half-unlocked set.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Baby Sathanas posted:

Same here, to be honest. There's a few things here and there I'd like to get like a couple of the big models, minotaurs, hill giants, etc., which I'd be happy to wait for retail versions and save about $150/£100+. I've got a wedding to save up for!

If there's anyone in the UK getting an order and wants to split/share stuff, let me or SpaceInvader know - I was going to place the bulk of the order and share some of the shipping costs, but if I do pull out I don't want to leave him in a lurch.

e: I may still pledge at the $100 to get some of the bigger models that are going to be like $40-70, but if there are $1 pledge openings available I may just do that...unless the shipping cost is just too much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm sticking with the core set. I counted up the minis I wanted from it as add-ons, vs. getting the core set as a single chunk. I only made it about halfway through my tally when it became cheaper to just get the core set.

As for all the other stuff...the paints are, as always, a stellar deal. And I really love a number of the add-ons, which is the lion's share of my pledge amount. The expansions, though? There's a lot of disappointment in this thread over the expansions, and I have to say I agree. The first expansion I'm in for, it's pretty cool. But the others are, quite frankly, junk right now, at least price-wise. I think they might have done okay if they'd only done one expansion at a time. Finish expansion #1 before starting #2, finish #2 before starting #3, etc. Instead, the reward tiers are heavily diluted through those simultaneous expansions, and instead of creating some sort of synergy, it's dragging the whole show down.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo, I just now noticed that on the reaper pledge manager, you can click on the items in the table and they'll expand to show the item in question. I feel like such a dope for not realizing this ages ago. :downs:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MisterG posted:

Here you go! Orcus with original wings. It took me about 2 or 3 aborted color schemes to arrive on this one. No worries if the paint job is not your cup of tea.

Jesus christ.

Any recommendations for painting tutorials? My minis look like kiddie scribbles compared to this.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reaper actually just sent out an update in the last day or two with some good info on working with bones: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones/posts/637668

But the gist of it is basically: paint them like any other mini (at least once you're past prep/priming). I don't follow it so closely these days so I don't know if you're part of it, but the mini painting megathread is a good place go to: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 23, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is the deal with the pledge calculator? I select my add-ons and then it wants me to pick my tier. I already have a tier, it's a wave 1 $1 pledge tier! If I update my pledge and lose my October shipping date I will be deeply unimpressed.

(I also bailed on my core set pledge. But funnily so did someone else, as there were 2 wave 2 slots open when I went back to the home page.)

e: That pledge calculator is not well designed. I should not be as confused as I am as to what the hell is going on. gently caress it, I will up my pledge after the KS ends and I can't get screwed out of my wave 1 spot.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 23, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just use the number it gives me and I go do it via kickstarter directly. I tried to do it through the pledge manager, but it wasn't even putting in the right number. That is, it'd say $200 or whatever on the pledge manager, I'd continue through to kickstarter, and it would only fill in the previous value, say $150. So, screw that, I'll just use it as a convenient calculator/fiddler, and I'll enter the number it gives me by hand.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

I just use the number it gives me and I go do it via kickstarter directly. I tried to do it through the pledge manager, but it wasn't even putting in the right number. That is, it'd say $200 or whatever on the pledge manager, I'd continue through to kickstarter, and it would only fill in the previous value, say $150. So, screw that, I'll just use it as a convenient calculator/fiddler, and I'll enter the number it gives me by hand.

That worked. Now I have pledged $54 after dropping my $100 Core Set pledge making it a $47 loss for Reaper today, good work guys.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

quote:

Jesus christ.

Any recommendations for painting tutorials? My minis look like kiddie scribbles compared to this.

Bad Munki has it covered. The Megapaint thread appears to be a great thread. I've only recently delved into the Megapaint thread so I'm not an authority on it. I've seen the gamut of paint jobs it has & the advice I've seen so far has been good.

My other top of the list recommendation is the Reaper forum. Several of the folks that paint for Reaper are regulars there AND the Reaper fan base ranges from beginner to professional, so there will always be someone that can help you at whatever your current skill level is.

I'd need more information to speak specifically to the skill level you want to get to. Feel free to PM me and/or perhaps it's time to go to the Megapaint thread?

Good advice I've received over the years:
  • Use the right tools for the job.
  • You will always keep improving if you keep applying yourself.
  • Good painters aren't always good teachers; these are two distinct and separate skills.
  • There are multiple ways to get to the place you are trying to go.
  • If you aren't cheating, you aren't doing it right.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I also recommend the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. Very good at describing basic techniques (ranging from drybrushing and washes to non-metal metallics). Also a pretty good value for the price. Twenty-five bucks gets you ten bottles of paint, two figures, two brushes, and the instructions. Paints alone would normally be thirty bucks.

Just make sure to be careful who you buy from. The old L2P kits had, like, three bottles of paint and the rest as samples, and a lot of retailers are just selling old stock. Reaper's the best source, since you'll definitely get the bottles, but they're transitioning from their current paint kits to Bones-based paint kits, which won't be out for a while, and they're already out of the second kit.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

JackMann posted:

I also recommend the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits.

I've never painted a goddamn thing in my life. Bought a Reaper kit a month ago:

Those are pewter. I enjoyed it so went on a spree buying a few Bones, brushes, paints, etc:

So basically if I could figure it out, anyone can.

e: now I need a 'how to photograph' tutorial.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 24, 2013

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Wow, those look great. And they give me hope that I, who also have never painted a drat thing before (well, I think I painted a Warhammer 40k zergling once at a friend's birthday party when I was a kid?) will be able to do more than make a complete mess of my bones when they arrive.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

While we wait for more news, here are some in-progress Bones I kobolds. Left to right: based fireball orange HD, washed crimson red HD, highlighted up fireball orange and pale saffron HD.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just finished painting and basing my Bathalian Primarch. It's not nearly as cool as MisterG's awesome Orcus, but it should give you an idea of the scale of these beasties and how they paint up.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Those bathalians would make pretty good mutated tyranid raveners in 40k by the looks of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
They look like something out of X-Com which is cool.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Speaking of X-Com, UFO and a bunch of greys coming up for expansion #3. That's really shaping up to be a tempting set.

edit:VVV Admit they are pretty plain

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Giant slug thing is now an add-on.

Next up is the purple things in expansion 2, in another $111k.

Then, another $113k after that, this is added to expansion 3:

The saucer has no details and the alien dudes are pretty vanilla and boring too.

I'm now certain I don't want expansion 3: there's only one more thing to add, and it won't be worth $50 on its own.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Leperflesh posted:

Giant slug thing is now an add-on.

Next up is the purple things in expansion 2, in another $111k.

Then, another $113k after that, this is added to expansion 3:

The saucer has no details and the alien dudes are pretty vanilla and boring too.

I'm now certain I don't want expansion 3: there's only one more thing to add, and it won't be worth $50 on its own.

Yeah i was pretty excited for a sci-fi themed set but now, not so much. Hopefully I can buy the shipping container and tardis by themselves later.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

If they have a grey command squad, and science squad, but no actual combat squad, it sounds like that's what will unlock last. Totally guessing though.

Also, that 2nd alien from the right on the bottom has a bangin rack.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If anyone here in Australia wants to split shipping, I'm sitting on a wave 1 early bird that shipping is making me think twice about, a Bones buddy might help keep me in the program

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

NTRabbit posted:

If anyone here in Australia wants to split shipping, I'm sitting on a wave 1 early bird that shipping is making me think twice about, a Bones buddy might help keep me in the program

Might be tempted on that. I have a wave 2 at the moment, but I'm really only looking at the Kraken at the moment. I'll let you know in the next day or so what I'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeaahhhhhh, not a fan of Greys with human proportions and muscles. Meh.

• Locked thread