Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

sbaldrick posted:

So Mazda is crazy with the pricing of the new 3 right, or is it just me?

What's the problem? It's base price is still really cheap for the features that it has and people have been begging for "premium" compact cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

That's Civic pricing, so not really, unless everyone else has gone crazy too.

(So kinda yes)

Also Focus pricing (at least when I looked at them a year or two ago).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
At the high end it's supposed to be going against the Verano, ILX etc., it's competitively priced there. You know, for that popular market niche with all those Veranos and ILXs you see driving around.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I often hear a lot about the Verano but I never really saw it as a car that stood out at me. What is it that would make it an attractive choice?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's very quiet and rides softly, the top level trim has a 2.0l turbo engine with a six speed manual. I think they look kind of dumb from the outside but apparently it's a pretty nice car for the money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

New to this thread and on my phone so I cannot search easily but has anyone read or seen anything lately on the Toyota Tacoma? rumors I've heard put a redesign due 2015. I get one as a work vehicle and my 2011 is getting old but I'm not sure if I should string it out to 2015.... I will though if its due for a redesign.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

blk posted:

Also Focus pricing (at least when I looked at them a year or two ago).

Are there any cheap cars left? Even Kias are getting pricey.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dacia! :buddy:

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Chevy Spark and Nissan Versa are $12k, I think those are the cheapest it gets in the US.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013
I've been cross-shopping a lot of C segment cars lately as my DD is coming up on 200k and I'll be looking to replace it in the next year or so. Spec out a Cruze, Focus, Golf, Sentra, Mazda3, or Elantra and you'll come surprising close to price once you match up options to one another. I bought my Sentra specv back in 2002 new for less than 18 grand, the only options available for it at the time were a sunroof and an upgraded stereo which would maybe top out at $20k. Now there are so many premium features in a small cars it's easy to reach $25k without even thinking.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goatse guy posted:

Are there any cheap cars left? Even Kias are getting pricey.

Blame a combo of increasing mandatory safety features (which certainly have upsides) and a general decline in the dollar making all prices go up

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

What's the problem? It's base price is still really cheap for the features that it has and people have been begging for "premium" compact cars.

The pricing on the 2.5 models seem pretty steep. It's a bit more expensive than a base Mazda 6 Sport, which has the same engine, is similarly equipped and is obviously a bigger car.

Then again, that might just mean that the 6 is a particularly good value.

Also IIRC the current Focus can be had way under MSRP; back when I was hopping at the beginning of the year I saw several dealers advertising SEL Titaniums for less than 20k.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 22, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So apparently Nissan is going to be showing a spiritual successor to the Silvia at the Tokyo auto show? Perhaps featuring the 1.6 turbo motor from the juke.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Augmented Dickey posted:

The pricing on the 2.5 models seem pretty steep. It's a bit more expensive than a base Mazda 6 Sport, which has the same engine, is similarly equipped and is obviously a bigger car.

Then again, that might just mean that the 6 is a particularly good value.

Also IIRC the current Focus can be had way under MSRP; back when I was hopping at the beginning of the year I saw several dealers advertising SEL Titaniums for less than 20k.

I think Mazda messed up by not offering the 2.5 Mazda3 in sport trim. It also doesn't come in manual transmission but I think they are supposed to offer it next year.

I've sat in both the 3 and 6 in Touring trim and I honestly like the 3 better. The nav screen in the 6 looks tiny in the dash compared to the 3 and it doesn't offer the HUD in any trim (unless you think it is gimmicky). The 3 also has some features in Touring trim that the 6 only gets in the Grand Touring package such as Xenons, fogs, and LED DRL's. The 6 may have a little more legroom but they only offer it in sedan so if you need more cargo room the 3 hatch is the better choice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it seems like that because cars are holding up much better, the cheapest section is now pretty much all used vehicles. My GF is looking for a car in the 10-15k range and even though most of those are 2 years old and 50k miles you often can barely tell they're used. It would be hard to imagine a new car being nice enough + cheap enough to compete.

Maybe thats been true for a while but I haven't shopped in that price range before and was surprised with the quality.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Laserface posted:

So apparently Nissan is going to be showing a spiritual successor to the Silvia at the Tokyo auto show? Perhaps featuring the 1.6 turbo motor from the juke.

Calling it now, it's gonna be FWD with optional "AWD" like they have on some of the crossovers.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Fucknag posted:

Calling it now, it's gonna be FWD with optional "AWD" like they have on some of the crossovers.

I think they specifically called out the BRZ/FRS as a competitor so hopefully it'll be a new RWD platform. I know a lot of people dislike the Juke but I don't see Nissan greenlighting another small FWD/AWD sporty Nissan since they have the Juke Nismo and Nismo RS version coming out soon. People dismiss it a lot of times because it's a CUV but it's smaller than most C segment cars and even a few B segments (in sedan form). If you've ever sat inside or driven one you'd be surprised how small it is. Weight is pretty respectable for a CUV too at about 2900lbs (FWD, MT).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xguard86 posted:

it seems like that because cars are holding up much better, the cheapest section is now pretty much all used vehicles. My GF is looking for a car in the 10-15k range and even though most of those are 2 years old and 50k miles you often can barely tell they're used. It would be hard to imagine a new car being nice enough + cheap enough to compete.

Maybe thats been true for a while but I haven't shopped in that price range before and was surprised with the quality.

A coworker of mine just got a 2014 Kia Forte for $15,200 + TT&L and if I were looking for a basic economy sedan I'd take that over almost anything with 50k miles. Modern Korean cars are very comfortable and get good fuel economy. Driving dynamics still aren't anything to write home about.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Just bought the girlfriend a 2013 Fiat 500 for about $11k with 3,000 miles on the odometer. I could have bought a brand new one for around $13,000 after minor haggling. You can snag cheap, fun, efficient cars cheaply if you don't need something huge.

(it looks hilarious parked next to my Titan)

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Consumer reports pans the Q50 and IS250AWD. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/2014-infiniti-q50-lexus-is-250-not-recommended-consumer-reports/#continued

I don't know how many luxury buyers read CR. I wouldn't want an IS250 either, especially with AWD, but I can see how it'd sell well to people who are buying the badge and mistakenly think they need AWD.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Laserface posted:

Tell me more. My 5 seconds of googling only came up with stuff from last year.

blk posted:

Consumer reports pans the Q50 and IS250AWD. http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/22/2014-infiniti-q50-lexus-is-250-not-recommended-consumer-reports/#continued

I don't know how many luxury buyers read CR. I wouldn't want an IS250 either, especially with AWD, but I can see how it'd sell well to people who are buying the badge and mistakenly think they need AWD.

If im remembering correctly the 'dull' steering of the Q50 can be completely fixed with a software update. Hooray technology.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blk posted:

Granted, FWD or RWD isn't that hard to drive in the winter if you live some place reasonably flat, but AWD is a big, big help in snowy/icy conditions. I have no idea how/why there'd be any kind of market for that in a place that doesn't see snow on a regular basis, mind you, and I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of getting an AWD car and not equipping winter tires in the winter (my Mom does this, and it drives me loving insane because it makes no sense).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PT6A posted:

Granted, FWD or RWD isn't that hard to drive in the winter if you live some place reasonably flat, but AWD is a big, big help in snowy/icy conditions. I have no idea how/why there'd be any kind of market for that in a place that doesn't see snow on a regular basis, mind you, and I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of getting an AWD car and not equipping winter tires in the winter (my Mom does this, and it drives me loving insane because it makes no sense).

AWD can be for performance reasons rather than winter.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

eyebeem posted:

Just bought the girlfriend a 2013 Fiat 500 for about $11k with 3,000 miles on the odometer. I could have bought a brand new one for around $13,000 after minor haggling. You can snag cheap, fun, efficient cars cheaply if you don't need something huge.

I was forced to park in between two massive current gen minivans which I thought I would never pull off, when I got out of my 500 I had tons of space on both sides. The car feels big but its tiny.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

KakerMix posted:

AWD can be for performance reasons rather than winter.

Unless you dont make enough power to have traction problems (is250) . Contrary to popular belief, your basic AWD system does nothing to enhance a car's turning ability.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vigo327 posted:

Tell me more. My 5 seconds of googling only came up with stuff from last year.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/nissan-plans-two-sports-car-concepts-tokyo-show/1216827

Also doing the rounds in australian newspapers auto sections.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Laserface posted:

Well that's stupid. It will suffer from the same thing the BRZ suffers from, a lack of power. Why are all these small driving oriented cars given such puny engines. If Kia can get 274 hp to a 4 door sedan I don't see why the Miata, BRZ, 240sx and this potential car have to be so weak sauce.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

At least adding a bigger turbo to an i4 that already has one and getting good power is a lot easier than adding forced induction to a car without it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vigo327 posted:

Contrary to popular belief, your basic AWD system does nothing to enhance a car's turning ability.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. AWD at the very least is very very distinctly different to steer even without turbo power to play with.

Fucknag posted:

To the Silva, literally the best RWD platform from Japan until the BRZ turned up? I cant see Nissan thinking for a second anyone is going to accept FWD or AWD as a successor to that at all. It'll be RWD or it'll not get past this show at all.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

and not equipping winter tires in the winter (my Mom does this, and it drives me loving insane because it makes no sense).

The AWD will drag you out of snowy parking lots etc where a FWD/RWD car with the same tires would be stuck. AWD with all seasons is still better than FWD with all seasons (and probably not as good as FWD with snow tires)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Coredump posted:

Well that's stupid. It will suffer from the same thing the BRZ suffers from, a lack of power. Why are all these small driving oriented cars given such puny engines. If Kia can get 274 hp to a 4 door sedan I don't see why the Miata, BRZ, and this potential car have to be so weak sauce.

In the case of the Hyundai/Kia, the turbo engines are really much better on paper than they are in real life. 0-60 is in the mid 7 second range and fuel economy is middling at best. In comparison a V6 Honda Accord with a decade old SOHC V6 is almost a second faster in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile, while getting better fuel economy, with the same hp figure on paper. For all the media hype surround them I really don't find the new Hyunda/Kias or the Ford Fusion to be very impressive at all.

Who would have thought that Honda is the marque that shows us there's no replacement for displacement. :japan:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 23, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I was forced to park in between two massive current gen minivans which I thought I would never pull off, when I got out of my 500 I had tons of space on both sides. The car feels big but its tiny.

It only feels big if you're under 6 feet tall. I'm 5'11 and barely fit in the driver's seat comfortably.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Coredump posted:

Well that's stupid. It will suffer from the same thing the BRZ suffers from, a lack of power. Why are all these small driving oriented cars given such puny engines. If Kia can get 274 hp to a 4 door sedan I don't see why the Miata, BRZ, and this potential car have to be so weak sauce.

Nissan already has a different car they will sell you if you want more power.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eyebeem posted:

Where are you finding these? Are the Fiat dealers near you having a really hard time selling them? $13,000 after minor haggling looks unbelievable, I'm seeing an invoice price with delivery of $16,458 and current incentives of $1250 if you take the biggest cash on hood offer, so $15,208. If you can negotiate deals $2200 under invoice after incentives I will hire you to buy cars for me!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Weinertron posted:

Where are you finding these? Are the Fiat dealers near you having a really hard time selling them? $13,000 after minor haggling looks unbelievable, I'm seeing an invoice price with delivery of $16,458 and current incentives of $1250 if you take the biggest cash on hood offer, so $15,208. If you can negotiate deals $2200 under invoice after incentives I will hire you to buy cars for me!

ya it must be a different market because the prices you guys are naming for new cars is what I see for used. Either that or they're putting a big markup in their advertised prices then selling for less.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cat Terrist posted:

To the Silva, literally the best RWD platform from Japan until the BRZ turned up? I cant see Nissan thinking for a second anyone is going to accept FWD or AWD as a successor to that at all. It'll be RWD or it'll not get past this show at all.

When it first became known that Nissan was working on this car, about a year ago IIRC, one of the ideas being tossed around was quite literally a lowered Juke with a sporty 2-door body on it.

I'm not saying it absolutely won't be RWD, but if you go in expecting that it has to be you're just asking to be disappointed. The fact that the phrase "spiritual successor" is being used actually leads me to think there's a good chance that's exactly what we'll get. Outside of the insular world of car enthusiast forums the statements "spiritual successor to the Silvia" and "FRS/BRZ/GT86 competitor" don't necessarily mean RWD.

I'm just saying, I'm skeptical and won't be getting my hopes up.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Weinertron posted:

I negotiated down to $13,000 after about 2 hours of phone calls and emails between 3 dealers. At the end of the day, I found the used 2013 w/ 3k miles for even less, so I opted to buy that. I buy new cars all the time, and know when/how to buy to maximize discounts. If a care isn't selling well, it's generally pretty easy to get a huge discount. Fiat is obviously giving a nice holdback on 500s right now.

*Just checked my emails, and I was quoted $12,800 + TTL for a new 2013 500 Pop

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Nissan already has a different car they will sell you if you want more power.

What the $30,000 and quickly goes up from there 370z? Still doesn't excuse these manufacturers from putting weak engines in their "sports cars". These days its so easy to make power a Miata/BRZ clone has no excuse for having less than 250hp and good torque to match. I know "moar powar" isn't the end of be of all the driving experience, but it is part of it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coredump posted:

What the $30,000 and quickly goes up from there 370z? Still doesn't excuse these manufacturers from putting weak engines in their "sports cars". These days its so easy to make power a Miata/BRZ clone has no excuse for having less than 250hp and good torque to match. I know "moar powar" isn't the end of be of all the driving experience, but it is part of it.

Have you driven the BRZ/FRS?

I have, and it was a loving blast. Power isn't everything, and 200hp in a car that weighs what the twins weigh is solid. It's a sports car, not a GT or a supercar. I classify a sports car as a lightweight, basic RWD car either 2 or 2+2 with a nice trans, great handling, and a free breathing engine. It doesn't need a v8 or a huge turbo that will light the tires up for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

To me it sounds like traditional Japanese sports car methodology. You build a quick, fun car, sell it cheaply to everyone who just wants something fun to chuck around, but you leave plenty of head room for the moar powar people to indulge themselves. (I've seen some very silly BRZ/GT86 builds already)
That way you aren't being irresponsible, the guy jamming a huge turbo and/or an inappropriate engine in it is. And when someone makes a 1000hp dyno queen out of your sensible sports car, your humble little marque becomes a valuable property.