Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Friedpundit posted:

Repo's Man's generic brand was from Ralph's, or based off of Ralph's, I don't remember.

Unless Ralph's sold cans just labeled as "FOOD" then based off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Barudak posted:

Fun fact on product placement; Beer companies are typically very uptight about being featured in a movie if a character is just pounding them to pound them or goes and does something stupid/dangerous/horrible while drunk. When the went to make Hellboy no beer company was willing to be Satan's child's beer of choice for his benders except Tecate who were just thrilled to be in a movie.

Same deal for Adam Carolla's movie The Hammer. Seems to be a thing around Tecate HQ that they just don't give a poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tecate has that hilarious promotion for boxing PPV's where if you buy a twelve pack of Tecate and show them the receipt for it plus a bill for the PPV, you get 25 dollars off. They know what side their bread is buttered on, nobody's going to think Tecate is some kind of aspirational adult beverage.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Watching Barry Lyndon for the first time in years, I noticed that when Lady Lyndon slaps Lord Bullingdon after he will not kiss Barry his reaction to me could only be construed as genuine surprise and shock. I feel when watching this scene that Kubrick did not tell the young actor the slap was coming to get that reaction. Knowing what I know about Kubrick's treatment of his actors, him terrifying Shelley Duvall to get her into a state of near nervous breakdown being the most infamous example, was this the case?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
He's also known for making dozens of takes of a shot. And I think the Shelley Duvall mistreatment idea is overblown. From watching the Shining making of documentary she seems very difficult to work with, and his attitude towards her probably stemmed from that, not some cruel calculation. This is the same movie where he didn't even tell the child actor he was working on a horror film, so he doesn't seem all that fanatical about method acting.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gweenz posted:

Watching Barry Lyndon for the first time in years, I noticed that when Lady Lyndon slaps Lord Bullingdon after he will not kiss Barry his reaction to me could only be construed as genuine surprise and shock. I feel when watching this scene that Kubrick did not tell the young actor the slap was coming to get that reaction. Knowing what I know about Kubrick's treatment of his actors, him terrifying Shelley Duvall to get her into a state of near nervous breakdown being the most infamous example, was this the case?
It's not unheard of for this to happen, not just with Kubrick. Like when Paul Sorvino smacks Ray Liotta in the face in Goodfellas (1990) it was unscripted.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
^ Or when Brando slaps Al Martino in The Godfather.

Schweinhund posted:

From watching the Shining making of documentary she seems very difficult to work with, and his attitude towards her probably stemmed from that...

I especially like when Duvall is complaining, saying "hunks of my hair are just coming out, look Stanley!" and Kubrick holds up the 2 strands of hair to the camera with this tired smirk on his face and says "...hunks of hair... ok Shelley...". This, combined with Duvall admitting that she was very jealous of the constant adulation received by Nicholson, because she "loves being the center of attention" too, does makes it seem like she was just a real pain to work with, especially over a shoot that long.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 19, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Zero Dark Thirty is there supposed to be some kind of explanation as to Maya's answer that she can't talk about why she was recruited to the CIA right out of high school?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

muscles like this? posted:

In Zero Dark Thirty is there supposed to be some kind of explanation as to Maya's answer that she can't talk about why she was recruited to the CIA right out of high school?

I assume whatever project she was working on back then was classified, or on a need-to-know basis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

He's also known for making dozens of takes of a shot. And I think the Shelley Duvall mistreatment idea is overblown. From watching the Shining making of documentary she seems very difficult to work with, and his attitude towards her probably stemmed from that, not some cruel calculation. This is the same movie where he didn't even tell the child actor he was working on a horror film, so he doesn't seem all that fanatical about method acting.

Malcolm McDowell has said that during the making of A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick treated him really well and made promises to set him up in the industry and make his career for him because he was the greatest actor he had ever seen, indulging him in whatever he wanted. Then, after the movie finished, he never took McDowell's calls or spoke to him again. McDowell said that he came to believe that Kubrick treated him that way to influence his performance.

I heard that in summary from sources I never read, so take it for what it's worth. However, it also makes me think of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut where some teenagers harass Tom Cruise by calling him gay. It makes no sense in the narrative but would obviously frustrate Tom Cruise and put him on edge at some level.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jack Gladney posted:

However, it also makes me think of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut where some teenagers harass Tom Cruise by calling him gay. It makes no sense in the narrative but would obviously frustrate Tom Cruise and put him on edge at some level.

That's actually an adaptation of a scene from the novella and makes sense in regards to Cruise's character's desire for power.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's actually an adaptation of a scene from the novella and makes sense in regards to Cruise's character's desire for power.

Isn't the scene in the original story a bunch of teenagers yelling anti-Semitic slurs at a Jewish guy though (I have not read it myself)?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Jack Gladney posted:

Malcolm McDowell has said that during the making of A Clockwork Orange, Kubrick treated him really well and made promises to set him up in the industry and make his career for him because he was the greatest actor he had ever seen, indulging him in whatever he wanted. Then, after the movie finished, he never took McDowell's calls or spoke to him again. McDowell said that he came to believe that Kubrick treated him that way to influence his performance.

I heard that in summary from sources I never read, so take it for what it's worth. However, it also makes me think of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut where some teenagers harass Tom Cruise by calling him gay. It makes no sense in the narrative but would obviously frustrate Tom Cruise and put him on edge at some level.

Well they also did genuinely fall out. McDowell talked about it at length (But I don't think he talked about the specific incident itself). They fell out and just never spoke again. McDowell said he regretted it deeply, but whatever happened between them caused a giant rift.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just realized how my earlier post sounds: I mean that it makes no narrative sense for the kids to call him gay as an insult vs anything else (old, uptight, rich guy in the wrong neighborhood)--ostensibly there's no indication of the character's orientation, but the actor has a public history of attacking anyone who calls him gay.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Jack Gladney posted:

I just realized how my earlier post sounds: I mean that it makes no narrative sense for the kids to call him gay as an insult vs anything else (old, uptight, rich guy in the wrong neighborhood)--ostensibly there's no indication of the character's orientation, but the actor has a public history of attacking anyone who calls him gay.

Cruise's character is feeling sexually inadequate and jealous. It makes perfect sense to have them "challenging his manhood" in this way. The extra-textual bit is a bonus.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Plus they're a bunch of bros and using gay as an insult is like breathing. The metatextual element to it made me laugh.

Power of Pecota posted:

Unless Ralph's sold cans just labeled as "FOOD"

According to the commentary, they did! (It was corned beef hash or some other potted meat product.) Only one or two of the generic products were created for the movie... IIRC "Beer" was the one.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Nope, 'BEER' was a real product and readily available around here back in the '80s. I had too much self-respect to ever sample it, and I was drinking Lucky goddamned Lager at the time (which I eventually had to give up because it made my piss foam like laundry detergent)

edit: nevermind, just saw the "DRINK" gif. I don't suppose that would have sold very well, even in 1985.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 21, 2013

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
What happened to Patrick Swayze's career after the early 90s? I was just checking his IMDB page, and there are very few recognizable titles after 1991. Was he not a box office draw or something?

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What happened to Patrick Swayze's career after the early 90s? I was just checking his IMDB page, and there are very few recognizable titles after 1991. Was he not a box office draw or something?

Point Break happened.

Edit: I kid, it was actually a decent movie. He kind of just lost his appeal I guess.

youknowthatoneguy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 23, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trying to figure out who says that old timey gangster line "Now look here, see?" in a nasally voice. Is it Edward G. Robinson?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yeah, he's the one.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

regulargonzalez posted:

Trying to figure out who says that old timey gangster line "Now look here, see?" in a nasally voice. Is it Edward G. Robinson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ouaPw3dno

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

What happened to Patrick Swayze's career after the early 90s?

When you star in Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing, Road House and Ghost within six years it's merely regression to the mean.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Does anyone have a suggestion for where to buy the Lord of the Ring animated films? There isn't much for cost-effectiveness on Amazon and ebay has nothing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zogo posted:

When you star in Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing, Road House and Ghost within six years it's merely regression to the mean.

Don't forget North and South 1&2.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Netflix sent me the third disc in Kieślowski's The Decalogue before the others, should I be watching these things in order or does it matter?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

Netflix sent me the third disc in Kieślowski's The Decalogue before the others, should I be watching these things in order or does it matter?

Doesn't matter.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

pomme posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to buy the Lord of the Ring animated films? There isn't much for cost-effectiveness on Amazon and ebay has nothing.

You mean the trilogy boxset they put together? They're OOP, so eBay/Amazon is kind of it, as far as I know.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone know when and why older styles of transition like dissolves / cross-fades, irises, etc fell out of favor and the direct / smash cut came more into favor? It seems like if anything, before the advent of digital technology the simpler direct cut should have been used exclusively but things like irising out into a new scene definitely feels old timey; the only time non-standard cuts are used now are generally to give a film a certain atmosphere of that era (Star Wars recalling sci-fi serials, for instance).

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.
Most feature editors I know - and maybe even moreso their assistants, myself included - hate dissolves because they are often used as a last resort, when the editor can't decide what frame to cut on, or can't figure out another way to grease the cut (music or a sound cue). Cuts are seen as precise, decisive and strong. Dissolves are for editors who can't cut, or for very specific mood evoking time transitions. Even the classical use of a dissolve to get out of one location and into another (e.g. dissolving from a lingering shot of the hero contemplating his future in a saloon, to a wide establishing shot of him riding on the prairie some days later) aren't used much because modern visual and sound techniques will grease that cut pretty well and today's audiences don't need a wipe or dissolve to understand that time has passed.

Prelapping and panning a sound cue is the easiest way to help the audience anticipate a cut from on location/time to another so that the visual discontinuity of the cut isn't too jarring.

Also FYI nobody says "smash cut". It's just "cut".

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 28, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is there a good place to start reading about film analysis that's lighter on jargon*? I really enjoy reading Terry van Feleday and SMG posts on here, since they come from a clearly knowledgeable perspective without relying on a whole new vocabulary, but any time I try to read something from a more formal scholarly perspective and :psyduck:

I'm fine with something that will ease me into the jargon, but right now I'm struggling with a learning cliff.

*I mean this in the actual "technical words used in a specialty field" sense and not the "nonsense Star Trek babble" sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nolanar posted:

Is there a good place to start reading about film analysis that's lighter on jargon*? I really enjoy reading Terry van Feleday and SMG posts on here, since they come from a clearly knowledgeable perspective without relying on a whole new vocabulary, but any time I try to read something from a more formal scholarly perspective and :psyduck:

I'm fine with something that will ease me into the jargon, but right now I'm struggling with a learning cliff.

*I mean this in the actual "technical words used in a specialty field" sense and not the "nonsense Star Trek babble" sense.

Any of Roger Ebert's "The Great Movies" books.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Also FYI nobody says "smash cut". It's just "cut".

"Smash cut" pops up in screenplays all the time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Maybe the Hulk wrote it.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Smash cut" pops up in screenplays all the time.

It is considered bad form by everyone else on the crew when screenwriters do this.

I'm gonna elaborate now that I have more than a minute - shooting scripts almost never have camera or cutting notes like that. If they do, they just look silly. Some scripts have poo poo like that in them before they get turned into a shooting script, I'd guess in order to help convey the ideas that the screenwriter has, and to make them read a certain way.

Finally, I just wanted to make a clear distinction that the alternative to a dissolve or wipe transition is NOT called a smash cut. It's just a CUT. Someone might have something specific in mind when they write SMASH CUT but since there is no universally accepted definition of the term, it's a lousy way to try to communicate that notion to an editor who has his hands on the footage months later.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 30, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

It is considered bad form by everyone else on the crew when screenwriters do this.

I'm gonna elaborate now that I have more than a minute - shooting scripts almost never have camera or cutting notes like that. If they do, they just look silly. Some scripts have poo poo like that in them before they get turned into a shooting script, I'd guess in order to help convey the ideas that the screenwriter has, and to make them read a certain way.

Finally, I just wanted to make a clear distinction that the alternative to a dissolve or wipe transition is NOT called a smash cut. It's just a CUT. Someone might have something specific in mind when they write SMASH CUT but since there is no universally accepted definition of the term, it's a lousy way to try to communicate that notion to an editor who has his hands on the footage months later.

A smash cut is when every element cuts, sound and picture.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, yes, I understand it's not useful to the work done in production and post-production phases, but screenwriters do use this when they're writing specs and when scripts are in development. They obviously don't indicate every cut in their script so when they do, and when they use terms like "smash cut", they're trying to emphasize the impact a transition should have on the audience (and to the reader of the script). Similarly, critics and people who write about film also use the term to indicate the different emotional impact of certain cuts (as scary ghost dog points out) because not all cuts have the same value and function to the audience.

I'm mainly taking issue with the "this is wrong, don't use it" attitude when there are quite a few people who do use it, and use it for a reason, especially since chances are the poster is not working in post.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
I'm watching the original Halloween on tv, and the psychiatrist and cop went into Michael Myers' old house. I either wasn't paying attention or it just wasn't shown, but they were talking about something on the floor. What was it?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Which movie should I choose to watch tonight between these 80s neo-noirs:
Thief or The Long Good Friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

friendo55 posted:

Which movie should I choose to watch tonight between these 80s neo-noirs:
Thief or The Long Good Friday?

drat, those are both really loving good. There's no wrong answer, but I'll say The Long Good Friday.

dumptruckzzz posted:

I'm watching the original Halloween on tv, and the psychiatrist and cop went into Michael Myers' old house. I either wasn't paying attention or it just wasn't shown, but they were talking about something on the floor. What was it?

A dead dog Michael ate, IIRC.