Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
It might be as simple as every not-dead see their own personal hell/heaven/afterlife and the folks that live there see an amalgamation of what the not-dead do.
But, how is Keats suppose to protect Ellen, like the spell at the beginning of the game thought was going to happen, if in the place that he has extra powers to do so he cannot interact with her or the exact folk threatening her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Keats, simply because I feel he got less answers than Ellen did in the last chapter. It'd be nice to see where hes going.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Major_JF posted:

It might be as simple as every not-dead see their own personal hell/heaven/afterlife and the folks that live there see an amalgamation of what the not-dead do.
But, how is Keats suppose to protect Ellen, like the spell at the beginning of the game thought was going to happen, if in the place that he has extra powers to do so he cannot interact with her or the exact folk threatening her?

I don't think he's meant to be protecting her from Folks - the Cloak gives her the power to fight, after all. He may be protecting her from something that only exists in the amalgamation. As for interacting with her, Livane said that they'd meet in the Netherworld. It just hasn't happened yet.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Now that I've watched all the Warcadia videos, I must say that I really liked that realm, especially the war-bots (though Dreadnaught looked pretty dumb unfortunately). Can't wait to see what Folks the game has in store next.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Nidoking posted:

I don't think he's meant to be protecting her from Folks - the Cloak gives her the power to fight, after all. ...

Then why even have the proximity caveat that creates the protectors if they don't or can't do anything to help?
I might just have to wait for the end of the game to get that answered.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Major_JF posted:

Then why even have the proximity caveat that creates the protectors if they don't or can't do anything to help?
I might just have to wait for the end of the game to get that answered.

Like I said, it hasn't happened yet. Livane says it will happen. Wait and see.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Keats needs the screentime more and also his new look is fantastic.

Sticky Fingers
Jul 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's go with Ellen. I think switching between the two regularly works pretty well and keeps everything pretty fresh.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ellen vote here, mostly because I think the chapters so far have made more sense if she went first. Looking forward to the new area!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Keats because we needs to see more of his bold fashion statements and probing journalism.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Okay, I think that's a wrap, as our winner would say - I'm pretty sure we barely managed to get enough total votes to exceed the margin of victory from some of the past votes - I guess either the readership is declining that much, or people have stopped caring whose chapter we play next. In any case, VOTING IS OVER and by my count, Keats won by two votes. I played a little bit ahead as Ellen just to confirm something before wrapping up the previous chapter, so it should be interesting to see how Keats views the upcoming events - and also, at last, the Folk he needs to finish exploring the first two chapters. Strap in, everyone - I fully believe the story will be picking up from here.

Meanwhile, just in case I don't get an update done tomorrow (which is highly unlikely), here's Keats' Chapter 2 Bestiary to tide you over until then.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's a lot of fire and destroy element Folks, you'd think that there would be more variety in elements available to the player a few chapters into the game already.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There's really not that much variety of Fire Folks yet - so far, it's just Hinky-Punk and Volcano. Here's the complete breakdown if you want to keep track:

Non-elemental: Pouke, Treant, Hawk, Bullseye, Barrager
Slash: Ogma
Destroy: Andraste, Bargest, Ga-dearg, Brummbear, Gargantua, Maximillian (DLC)
Fire: Hinky-Punk, Volcano
Earth: Poury, Quasarilli (DLC)
Shield: Killmoulis, Patriot

There's only one element left, and Keats will be finding several examples of it in chapter 3. I suspect that there was originally supposed to be a Folk of that element in the first chapter, but it was dropped later in development, and nobody thought to go back and remove the crystals. Maybe it was always intended for those two areas to be inaccessible until chapter 3.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Nidoking posted:

I guess either the readership is declining that much, or people have stopped caring whose chapter we play next.

I'm certainly watching, but only lurking in the thread - as we'll see both I'm not especially concerned about who comes first.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Nidoking posted:

There's really not that much variety of Fire Folks yet - so far, it's just Hinky-Punk and Volcano. Here's the complete breakdown if you want to keep track:

Non-elemental: Pouke, Treant, Hawk, Bullseye, Barrager
Slash: Ogma
Destroy: Andraste, Bargest, Ga-dearg, Brummbear, Gargantua, Maximillian (DLC)
Fire: Hinky-Punk, Volcano
Earth: Poury, Quasarilli (DLC)
Shield: Killmoulis, Patriot

There's only one element left, and Keats will be finding several examples of it in chapter 3. I suspect that there was originally supposed to be a Folk of that element in the first chapter, but it was dropped later in development, and nobody thought to go back and remove the crystals. Maybe it was always intended for those two areas to be inaccessible until chapter 3.

Both characters have different elements then? He's missing both Sleep (Status?) and Water.

And I thought Keats had like 3 or 4 Fire elementals by now for some reason, maybe it is the effect of him having multiples (and how similar some Destroy element folks look to Fire ones) while Ellen has none.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

TK-31 posted:

Both characters have different elements then? He's missing both Sleep (Status?) and Water.

And I thought Keats had like 3 or 4 Fire elementals by now for some reason, maybe it is the effect of him having multiples (and how similar some Destroy element folks look to Fire ones) while Ellen has none.

The only shared elements are Non-elemental, Slash, Destroy, and Shield. Every other element is specific to one character or the other. Most notably, only Ellen ever encounters any of the status effect elements. Some Folklores may use attacks of the same element on both characters (like Dreadnought's fire and thunder element attacks), but capturable Folks generally won't. I can think of one Folk (other than the downloadable Quasarilli) that has different elements for each character, but most of the time, if it's a Folk with an exclusive element, it only appears for the appropriate character.

I'm hoping to have the time to get the next video up this coming weekend, but I'm also editing the combat video for chapter 3 - particularly due to returning to areas where there were blue crystals, the raw footage for the first half is nearly an hour long, and I'm hoping to post the first combat video early because there will be an important choice to make afterward, and there's no way I can record the rest of the chapter in advance. If there's some downtime, it may give me time to submit a scarecam entry for Voidburger's thread. You might finally be able to see what I look like! (I apologize in advance.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

And we begin Chapter 3 in grand style! I'm pretty sure this chapter makes a lot more sense if you see Ellen's story first, since most of the things you learn about Keats' activities are hardly illuminating, while Ellen learns most of the important information. Still, we get some interesting clues, and the present finally starts to become relevant to the story - we're not just searching for answers to the past anymore! There is still more to the past than we've found yet, though...

Keats Chapter 3 - Investigation: Youtube

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I like how Keats travels to the Netherworld in this chapter. He's determined to get into the Netherworld one way or another.

Sticky Fingers
Jul 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keats lack of tact is wonderful. The best moments were telling Ellen that maybe she had something to do with all the crazy stuff happening, and then saying "Isn't anyone alive in this town?" to a woman whose husband had been killed like an hour ago.

I also like that things are starting to happen in the present. It injects a bit of immediacy into everything thats going on.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Too soon, Nidoking. Too soon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm sorry... there was just a perfect joke for Ellen's version of the scene that I can't do now because we've seen what happened to Dr. Lester. I had to make up for it somehow.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Captain Bravo posted:

Was not! It was in better taste than some of Keats' comments.

Also, hardcore, Keats. Jumping off a cliff into the door.

carnackiArdent
Feb 15, 2012
Is it just me, or is the game going out of its way to make Keats look as creepy and sinister as possible from Ellen's point of view? He knows things that, from her perspective, normal people should have no way of knowing - things he couldn't know unless one of them was following very closely in the other's footsteps - and yet she hasn't once actually seen him in the Netherworld (yet, anyway). He's developed a tendency to mysteriously already be at places she's going to in the real world, after the same things, but apparently by coincidence (e.g. the lighthouse, the doctor's house). And then there's the creepy chuckling, the general ominous statements, the shiny glasses, and the speech about the Netherworld not really being the afterlife, which sounds like a setup for the nihilistic villain schtick.

Why do I have this feeling that when they do cross paths in the Netherworld it's going to end in a boss fight? Except that then they can't keep the story consistent between the two (unless either only one of them fights it or the first one who goes through it can continue if they lose, I guess).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ellen knows that Keats goes into the netherworld. In chapter two, after they obviously trade mementos, they both go to the gravestone and are sucked into Warcadia. She'd have to be pretty dense to see Keats get sucked into the same portal as her, and not realize that he's traveling the netherworld too.

(I don't actually remember her reactions the first time they meet up in the netherworld, so I might be wrong, but I remember this being a good game not written by idiots so I don't think so!)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, I think it's about time we bring this speculation about Keats and Ellen meeting in the Netherworld to a close... not that it's not an interesting and relevant discussion, but wouldn't you rather see for yourselves? That's right - not only does Chapter 3 raise the stakes in the real world, but in the Netherworld, things are heating up just as much. We already know that the Faerys have made their way to the Undersea City, once again following Ellen as she blazes a trail from one Realm to the next, but the Faery Lord himself has crossed over this time as well. Not only that, but for the first time in the game, the path splits, and there are important objectives to be reached in both directions - but neither Keats nor Ellen can accomplish both. It's time for the fated pair to work together to achieve their goals - or perhaps to choose priorities. And that's not to mention the new possibilities opened with the new set of Folks. I think I'll let Keats say it for me:

Keats Chapter 3 - Combat First Half: Youtube

And the reason I posted this video early... there's a choice to be voted on! Which path should Keats take - should he go after the Folklore in the Forgotten Palace, or chase Herve into the Swamp of Oblivion? I'll need to close the vote sometime this weekend so I can record the rest of the chapter.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
Keats should go chase down Herve.

Ellen can take care of the Folklore.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
The Swamp of Oblivion? I don't like the sound of that place. Let's head to the Forgotten Palace to find the cure for everything instead.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

There's really only one right path for Keats here. He says at the end of the last video that he doesn't really care about the Folklore. Send him after Herve.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I got here with Ellen first and sent her after Herve, so this time I say we send Keats to the Swamp of Oblivion.

I used Annwn much more often than Afanc. In fact, it became my primary ranged attack for Keats once I finished unlocking its karmas. As for pronunciation, I know w is a vowel in Welsh (unless it follows a g) so based on that Annwn would be pronounced more like Anoon. Though that's not Irish, it is closely related), so I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Ellen seems to be the type to handle the Swamp of Oblivion let's have Keats go to the Forgotten Palace and wrap things up here.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
Obviously Keats should save anyone who is a fan of his magazine, Go for the Swamp.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I always liked underwater levels where you walk on the seafloor for some reason, so this is really nice for me. I just hope that the Folklore won't end up being a giant crab (it shouldn't be since that one Faery said it can "fly", but who knows).

As for who goes where, I think Keats should go save his biggest fan.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Go to the swamp

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Mehuyael posted:

I just hope that the Folklore won't end up being a giant crab (it shouldn't be since that one Faery said it can "fly", but who knows).

The tutorial Faery was talking about Exedra, the second miniboss. I believe we'll encounter the same Folks no matter which path we take, which is convenient, but we haven't heard anything about the Folklore except that it consumed/subsumed the King of the Forgotten Palace.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Keats should go to the Swamp

Cant have paying customers erase themselves from existence after all

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Let's gently caress with the Faery King, send Keats to the Palace.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DOOP posted:

Cant have paying customers erase themselves from existence after all

I don't think Herve's paid for an issue in at least 17 years.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

The tutorial Faery was talking about Exedra, the second miniboss. I believe we'll encounter the same Folks no matter which path we take, which is convenient, but we haven't heard anything about the Folklore except that it consumed/subsumed the King of the Forgotten Palace.

Now you got me worried enough that I spoiled myself on what the Folklore is.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Keats should go to the Palace to gently caress with the Faery King. I'm guessing we'll be making this choice again, so Ellen can totally go to save Herve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Logic seems to demand a Herve hunt and I'm inclined to allow it.

• Locked thread