Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I'd kinda be interested in a thread to class up crappy recipes.

Example: I have a secret love affair with tuna helper. But could this be turned into real food? Maybe a seared tuna filet with some sort of fresh noodles & peas and a cream sauce?

Love Hamburger Helper? Have someone share their ragu or bolognese or something something recipe.

Replacement for Beef pot roast with lipton's onion soup packet? How about a easy chicken taco recipe to stop people from making crock-pot salsa chicken? Real mac-n-cheese with delicious add-ins instead of Kraft dinner? Tyson frozen chicken nuggets replaced by ad hoc at home fried chicken? Pepperoni hot pocket replaced by calzone with home-made dough?

Share with easy step-by-step instructions and images that babby can follow.

I'd love to see people sharing their favorite crappy go-to (or childhood favorite) and get a forum super-star upgrade to try. Could even make it a friendly challenge, maybe, for the original contributor to try the new version.

Or perhaps an ISCA with this as a theme. (If this hasn't already been done)

(Edit: I'd be on the crappy end of this spectrum, but willing to learn!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
And we were off to such a good thing too...

Hint: Learn real recipes, use your own imagination to make things like that and keep them to yourself.
That is not what GWC is about, it's what the terrible past was about.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Geez, sorry. "Learn Real Recipes" can be daunting to someone who doesn't really know how to cook. Trying to change something bad into something good is hard when you only know how to follow existing recipes. And an abject failure or two goes a long way towards making you not want to try again.

It was just an idea.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah but it's the type of idea that got the regulars pissed off at, and created GBS style abomination food threads

e: Half those products you mentioned I've never heard of. Your 'gussying up' versions is probably the sloppy version that I know anyway if that makes sense.
Only difference is how much you spend on the ingredients to make it 'more fancy'.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 23, 2013

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I don't see why it would be an abomination - a recipe for something like the example given - a seared tuna filet with a cream sauce and a noodle/veg side - that COULD be a real recipe. It could be a restaurant quality dish if someone with the know-how put their mind to it. It sounded like a fun challenge, kinda like some of the stuff you see on Hell's Kitchen or Top Chef.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a great idea. I think GWS should be about making tasty good with minimally processed ingredients, and that kind if thing would fit the bill

And when I say minimally processed, I mean as minimally as is reasonable. You don't need to mill your own flour or make your own phyllo. That kind of thing.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Being a Minnesotan, and without anyone who's remotely adventurous about food in the circle of people that I know locally at all, some of the regulars have already helped me do just that over the yeras. A simple mushroom cream sauce to replace Cream of Mushroom soup, and use that for my grandmother's "hamburger gravy", which itself turns out to be just a midwestern version of Beaf Stroganoff, and my mom's patented "dump cream of mushroom soup on pork chops, put in the oven, have them come out shamefully delicious" recipe. I think that a lot of the crappy food is already an instant version of good stuff- hot pockets are just horrible pasties. So, yeah, I think that thread would be a great idea and I'll gladly participate.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sorry Fo3, Imma have to side with EVG. I think a bit of the FOLLOW REAL RECIPES chat is what killed GWC to begin with. Well, it's what caused whirled peas which in turn caused stuff, etc. I think that everyone is on their path to cooking glory. The regulars here just need to be aware of that. Not saying that I'm amazing or anything, but GWS was hugely instrumental to making me a better cook. (go into archives and see the stuff I was posting a few generations of the dinner thread ago, if you care) As much as cutting corners isn't ideal, it's miles better than cooking digiorno or eating jack in the box tacos.

EVG, I think maybe posting a thread per dish is a good idea. I don't know if a rags to riches trashfood makeover megathread is a good idea since it will attract a lot of newbies and will quickly turn into an ADHD fest. Maybe something like cook or die, where one dish every few weeks is "made correctly" or dressed up somehow and showcased in its own thread? This would keep the techniques and details of each recipe separate in their own threads and keep the subforum lively. An easy entry I can think of is Kraft dinner -> Modernist Mac and Cheese. The carbonara thread is another example of this formula in the past that I thought worked out pretty well. My ragu thread was another such thread.

I also want to encourage people to add recipes to the wiki. If there is something you like in a thread or whatever, add it here! There are so many posts in general questions like "I saw such and such a few months ago and I can't find it in archives now".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Well FGR uses a serrated knife for slicing tomatoes if you know what I mean.

I don't think GWC should be that if you have enough money to throw at tuna and mac and cheese, now it's sophisticated food just because of the outlay.
If anything, I like this place for the traditional classic peasant food dishes, simple, cheap, avaible to all ingredients that just needs a bit of time and practice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

EVG, I think maybe posting a thread per dish is a good idea. I don't know if a rags to riches trashfood makeover megathread is a good idea since it will attract a lot of newbies and will quickly turn into an ADHD fest. Maybe something like cook or die, where one dish every few weeks is "made correctly" or dressed up somehow and showcased in its own thread? This would keep the techniques and details of each recipe separate in their own threads and keep the subforum lively. An easy entry I can think of is Kraft dinner -> Modernist Mac and Cheese. The carbonara thread is another example of this formula in the past that I thought worked out pretty well. My ragu thread was another such thread.

I think that's a great idea. Perhaps we could have a series of threads (either competitive or no) in the style of N/ICSA or Cook or Die where a given trashfood is presented as the model, and it is up to the competitors to create a classy non-trash version of it. Kind of like the recent callout thread between Tweek and PopeCrunch, except open to all. I just don't know how we could attract those people who actually eat the trashfood to participate if their cooking ability is that limited...or how to keep them from feeling intimidated. Any suggestions?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah I'm with the group that thanks it's a fun idea. Maybe I'll do a casserole before thanksgiving and thread about classin' it up.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'd be willing to volunteer as a testee for the first thread. Using the tuna helper example, I've never made real seared tuna, (I've made sesame-crusted salmon once before, how hard can it be? :ohdear:) and would like to try again with a cream sauce - the last one I tried broke and was horribly discouraging, but gotta get back on that horse.

Or maybe something like NICSA with a small prize for the best voted variation? I'd put in :10bux: for that (and of course would exempt myself from winning). Make the prize be something like the Flavor Bible or one of those books that everyone always recommends for someone learning to cook?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
Protip: don't start a slow cooking recipe when you get home already hungry. 20:00 hours, 1,5 hours to go and I'll most probably starve to death before then!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

U mad bro?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've only ever posted one thread here in GWS but I'd like to do another. I know people had expressed interest in old time period recipes, I was also thinking it'd be neat to have a thread with people's old family recipes - things that you've personally been handed down from a previous generation. Could be a cool glimpse into people's personal pasts :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Use a mandoline you motherfucker. Only people with real cooking knowledge should be allowed to cut a tomato.

EVG posted:

I'd be willing to volunteer as a testee for the first thread. Using the tuna helper example, I've never made real seared tuna, (I've made sesame-crusted salmon once before, how hard can it be? :ohdear:) and would like to try again with a cream sauce - the last one I tried broke and was horribly discouraging, but gotta get back on that horse.

Or maybe something like NICSA with a small prize for the best voted variation? I'd put in :10bux: for that (and of course would exempt myself from winning). Make the prize be something like the Flavor Bible or one of those books that everyone always recommends for someone learning to cook?

Do you have archives? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444947 We actually kinda did this sort of thing for an ICSA once and it seemed like folks had fun with it. An NICSA version sounds awesome.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've been thinking for a while that it would be fun to have a thread where the OP posts a step-by-step of a recipe they know well, but know could be better, and then reposts their process as people suggest new techniques and variations. Seems like it could be a fun way of learning new ways to do things and get some technical advice. I have been meaning to do it but it would require a non-flaky OP and I don't know if I can live up to that. Maybe if I just update on weekends...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I use a serrated knife for tomatoes too. :colbert: I have a mandolin (well, V-slicer) and it freaks me out. I can't watch cooking shows when they use the mandolin.

Also, if people post recipes with processed ingredients like tuna helper or whatever, people can constructively suggest alternatives instead of rounding up a lynch mob.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We actually kinda did this sort of thing for an ICSA once and it seemed like folks had fun with it. An NICSA version sounds awesome.

That does sound awesome, and we haven't had an NICSA in a long time. Would anyone care to create one?

Doh004 posted:

I've only ever posted one thread here in GWS but I'd like to do another. I know people had expressed interest in old time period recipes, I was also thinking it'd be neat to have a thread with people's old family recipes - things that you've personally been handed down from a previous generation. Could be a cool glimpse into people's personal pasts :)

This is a great idea too.

therattle posted:

I have a mandolin (well, V-slicer) and it freaks me out. I can't watch cooking shows when they use the mandolin.

One day I was getting a sub sandwich made at the local Harris Teeter and the sushi chef was there using a mandolin to slice ribbons of cucumber...no finger guard, and she wasn't even looking at what she was doing. Obviously her muscle memory kept her from slicing her finger into bloody ribbons, but I think I had a little panic attack at the time.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Can we change the drat name back to Goons With Spoons? Chickencheese was funny but come on, all good things in moderation. (I even enjoy when FYAD trolls us)

Another idea. All of us regulars have some type of "signature style" or dish even. Why don't people post their bad-rear end recipes in threads again. People have already mentioned Jizzer's carbonara thread and I don't mind tooting my own sukiyaki thread horn. That poo poo is awesome to see and learn from.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

last chairman of N/ICSA was PretentiousFoods who I haven't seen on here in a bit. Does someone want to take over and maybe add some rules about hosts losing their place in line if it takes more than, say, 2 weeks to hear from them at the finish of the previous contest? Or I suppose I could if no one else wants to.

Toast was the last to host ICSA with battle: cheese. The last to NICSA host was dino. with Battle: Vegan Potluck. Next up on ICSA hosting is The Azn Sensation (ICSA 59), and I have no idea who that is.

Next to host NICSA is TaftPunk (NICSA 14).

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

The Midniter posted:

I think that's a great idea. Perhaps we could have a series of threads (either competitive or no) in the style of N/ICSA or Cook or Die where a given trashfood is presented as the model, and it is up to the competitors to create a classy non-trash version of it. Kind of like the recent callout thread between Tweek and PopeCrunch, except open to all. I just don't know how we could attract those people who actually eat the trashfood to participate if their cooking ability is that limited...or how to keep them from feeling intimidated. Any suggestions?

As a mostly-lurker, the Cook or Die threads are very appealing because it's a way for lurkers/passable home cooks like me to jump in with a single dish, while letting people participate across skill levels. We newbies get to see how we can step our game up, while trying something we may not have considered. There's also the fact that it's a limited scope, which keeps people who aren't stellar cooks focused on getting one thing right. I'm also all for bringing back N/ICSA and ICSA proper. They give people around my skill level a chance to up our game, while showing off some of the excellent cooks (and photographers) that we have here.

As far as the general forum level of activity, I think the consolidation into megathreads leads to some level of intimidation. There's a ton of good info in them, but the barrier to creating one for your specific thing is pretty high. I'm obviously not saying that we should be encouraging low effort or bad food posting, but I'd like to think there's a reasonable line to be drawn on what's acceptable. Activity encourages more activity, and things have at least looked pretty stagnant for a while.

I also miss pr0k posts and pr0k's mom posts.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Why is pr0k not posting anymore?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I miss Mrs. Gunderson.

I think it'd be great to have more specific recipe threads. If it's not great, who cares? Just let it fall off the page - with so many active megathreads, it's not like it will take long for a bad thread to sink under.

I feel guilty because that fried chicken sounds amazing and I keep MEANING to make it, but all I've managed to make is excuses. I'll redeem myself with pie, hopefully.

Mrs. Gunderson
Nov 5, 2012

EVG posted:

I miss Mrs. Gunderson.

Well I'm always here hun don't you worry about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

:3:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mrs. Gunderson posted:

:kimchi:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EVG posted:

I'd kinda be interested in a thread to class up crappy recipes.

Example: I have a secret love affair with tuna helper. But could this be turned into real food? Maybe a seared tuna filet with some sort of fresh noodles & peas and a cream sauce?

Love Hamburger Helper? Have someone share their ragu or bolognese or something something recipe.

Replacement for Beef pot roast with lipton's onion soup packet? How about a easy chicken taco recipe to stop people from making crock-pot salsa chicken? Real mac-n-cheese with delicious add-ins instead of Kraft dinner? Tyson frozen chicken nuggets replaced by ad hoc at home fried chicken? Pepperoni hot pocket replaced by calzone with home-made dough?

Share with easy step-by-step instructions and images that babby can follow.

I'd love to see people sharing their favorite crappy go-to (or childhood favorite) and get a forum super-star upgrade to try. Could even make it a friendly challenge, maybe, for the original contributor to try the new version.

Or perhaps an ISCA with this as a theme. (If this hasn't already been done)

(Edit: I'd be on the crappy end of this spectrum, but willing to learn!)
I think this is a great idea and that Fo3 is being a jerk.

Fo3 posted:

This is fine.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I was intending to post in the fried chicken COD thread, but I never did remember to bring my camera.

(That being said, the recipe comes from a wonderful lady who's husband used to service restaurant equipment. Apparently, for most jobs he was required to sign an NDA for a couple of chains, stating that he would not divulge food preparation secrets. However, he felt free to inform his wife, who sat down and started tinkering with them. Whether this is true or not, it did provide me with the best damned fried chicken in the state I've ever tasted.

The secret? Yellow mustard in the egg wash, 1 tbsp per egg, plus lots of salt and cayenne in the flour. Lightly flour the chicken, coat in egg wash, then flour again, fry as you will. Goddrat it's good.)

And you know what? gently caress it, I'm getting paid this weekend. Time to delurk and post something. If I can convince the lady of the house (pregnant, with strange aversions) to let me take over the kitchen, I'll post a thread about my chile verde. Can it go in the chili megathread? Yeah, but megathreads suck I think it's different enough to warrant it's own thread.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I kept telling myself, "Self, Thomas Keller says to use small chickens which is VITAL to the proper breading/meat ratio. So, I need to go to Whole Foods or TJ's and get a nice, happy chicken. Not one of those bloated, 8lb purdue monstrosities". I never made it over that ways so never bought my "vital" small chicken so never fried it.

I'm sadly good at these excuses. But I bet it WOULD taste better with a better chicken. Will try to make it out this weekend.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Fo3 is being a jerk.

Yeah I was.
Enjoy your Americana mid western style cuisine threads everybody.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I'm sure that every region and every country has at least one favorite crappy food!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I'm sure Thomas Keller wants you to buy a small chicken that led a happy chicken life and was picked first for chicken dodgeball and went to the Chicken Prom with the exchange student from Chicken Sweden, but for gently caress's sake it's fried loving chicken, if what you have access to is some eggs, some cornflakes, and some store brand boneless skinless chicken breasts produced in a factory where they torture the animals to death to the tune of The Best Of Air Supply, gently caress it. It's fried chicken, you can't go too wrong. Sure buying better meat is better, and factory farming is a goddamned abomination, but you can only get what you can get.

edit to add: There's really nothing good to come of making GBS threads on someone for posting a 'recipe' for tater tot hotdish or whatever. Sure, it's not exactly gourmet cuisine, but good cooks don't pop out of the womb. Cooking wasn't really a thing we did in my household growing up - if it wasn't Christmas or Thanksgiving, and it didn't come out of a can or the freezer, we didn't eat it - so I got a late start. And I started with loving tater tot hotdish and used that as a springboard to learn about different types of cuisine and why so many recipes use those weird mushroom things, and why different cuts of beef exist, etc etc. Barring 'look at this total loving shitshow of a meal' comedy threads, I sincerely doubt anyone will ever post a thread in GWS about tater tot hotdish or hamburger helper and NOT expect ideas for improvement - but being elitist about it is lovely as hell and that's what led to GWS turning into the elitist circlejerk it was a while back. It's a lot better now, but.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 24, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mang you goons like to fuckin whine about gwc a lot.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I made cheeseburger mac for the employee cafeteria yesterday. It was loving delicious. gently caress all this food snobbery, just cook some loving good food that you made and post about it.

BBQ sauce anyone?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

PopeCrunch posted:

Sure, it's not exactly gourmet cuisine, but good cooks don't pop out of the womb.

If a pregnant mother listens to Mozart, the child will be smarter. Similarly, if a pregnant mother refers to her fetus as a "bun in the oven," the child will be a master chef.

Being a bored chef-to-be, the fetus will being experimenting with the ingredients on hand while in the womb. Expect the afterbirth to be the perfect sous vide dish. You may need to add a little salt if the mother didn't consume enough for the fetus to properly season the dish.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

mediaphage posted:

Mang you goons like to fuckin whine about gwc a lot.

banning mommy dearest and tenementfunster and poo poo like that broke sa forever

gws was great unmoderated. it was never the complete impenetrable inbred circle-jerk certain people are making it out to be now. if you talked poo poo and didn't know what you were talking about (cheffy chef!) you got your rear end handed to you. if you were a newb and honest we were pretty nice. that poo poo people are spewing now are the wishful pipe dreams of lovely moderators. never happened. now you have a boring vanilla suburb where people have to argue nicely whether or not dressing up midwestern hotdish is of value. clue: yes, it is; but talking nicely about whether or not it has value? god loving no.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

PopeCrunch posted:

I'm sure Thomas Keller wants you to buy a small chicken that led a happy chicken life and was picked first for chicken dodgeball and went to the Chicken Prom with the exchange student from Chicken Sweden, but for gently caress's sake it's fried loving chicken, if what you have access to is some eggs, some cornflakes, and some store brand boneless skinless chicken breasts produced in a factory where they torture the animals to death to the tune of The Best Of Air Supply, gently caress it. It's fried chicken, you can't go too wrong. Sure buying better meat is better, and factory farming is a goddamned abomination, but you can only get what you can get.

The issue is not how fancy the chicken was raised, it is the size of the chicken. It is a hell of a lot easier to fry a small bird than a big bird becasue the cooking method. You want perfect golden crunchy crust and juicy fully cooked meat. Big birds mean big chicken parts mean lots of meat to cook through means burnt/super dark crust with slightly dry outer edge of meat by the time the center is cooked to temp. Eat whatever kind of meat you like from whatever farm or whatever, but to get great fried chicken a smaller bird works better. Don't use one of those nice petit birds for coq a vin. Use a good old stringy bird.

So in the spirit of making a dish better the right type of ingredients is also important regardless of their background.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pr0k posted:

whine whine whine

YOU HAVE BECOME WHAT YOU MOST DESPISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."