Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Should I make the obvious joke about the console being dusty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Everything he owns lives in layer of dust.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gutcruncher posted:

How bout now?

Jesus, get a swiffer duster.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I live in a dungeon and the only time I can see the dust is when I take a flash photograph of videogames to show the internet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man that poo poo is filthy. Turn off everything before you dust, lest anything with a fan choke on the ambient dirt cloud.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wow, that new Mario 3D Worlds trailer looks great. And THANK GOD it looks like they'll let me use my god drat gamepadtablet to play the game with friends. I was really, really loving mad when I realized in Mario Bros U you're not allowed to play the game proper in multiplayer with the regular gamepad, you're forced to use the Wiimote/Gamepad Pro. The tablet (sorry I don't know what else to call it) can only be used to add platforms in MP and who wants to do that? Well, I'm sure you all know this already, I haven't even had my WiiU a month yet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

beep by grandpa posted:

The tablet (sorry I don't know what else to call it) can only be used to add platforms in MP and who wants to do that?

Everyone. Dicking your friends is awesome

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, between this, my pro controller, and the two old wiimotes we have from the Wii, that means my household is fully stocked for four player hijinks.

Swear to god I will be part of the grassroots movement to promote this thing even if it kills me. Found a sweet spot in the dining directly behind the TV in the other room that'll let me play games fine, and it amazed the hell out of my Mum.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Everyone. Dicking your friends is awesome

But I was already doing that like crazy as Mario, jumping on dude's heads to get the height for 1ups on the flags. The extra lives disparity between me and my two friends going into world 5 was hilarious.

We wound up having to go back to farm lives for poor Toad :unsmith:

Is Luigi U worth it? Is it a good sized expansion? Does it require Mario Bros U as a base? Is there any reason whatsoever to get a physical copy instead of digitally?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Astro Nut posted:

Well, between this, my pro controller, and the two old wiimotes we have from the Wii, that means my household is fully stocked for four player hijinks.

It's all about Metroid Blast in Nintendoland, or Mario Chase; Mario drinks a shot if they get caught, everyone else drinks a shot if they don't catch him.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

beep by grandpa posted:

Wow, that new Mario 3D Worlds trailer looks great. And THANK GOD it looks like they'll let me use my god drat gamepadtablet to play the game with friends. I was really, really loving mad when I realized in Mario Bros U you're not allowed to play the game proper in multiplayer with the regular gamepad, you're forced to use the Wiimote/Gamepad Pro. The tablet (sorry I don't know what else to call it) can only be used to add platforms in MP and who wants to do that? Well, I'm sure you all know this already, I haven't even had my WiiU a month yet.

Iwata Asks NSMBU Devs posted:

Asuke
First, the two of us tried a number of things to see what we could do using blocks that appear by touch. What really got us excited about that was using them to block other players.

Iwata
Instead of using them to assist, you had great fun using them to block each other's play.

Asuke
Right. For example, if a Koopa Troopa's shell is scooting along, you can place a block in its path so that it deflects into another player's way.

Iwata
Or you could place a block over the head of another player that's about to jump?

Asuke
Right, right! (laughs) That kind of purposefully mean way of playing was fun. Then, we poked around with what we could do for when two people are cooperating and backing up each other as hard as they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_X-V1JYl8I

It's for pros and assholes.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 23, 2013

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

beep by grandpa posted:

Is Luigi U worth it? Is it a good sized expansion? Does it require Mario Bros U as a base? Is there any reason whatsoever to get a physical copy instead of digitally?

From what I understand, if you want to download it, then yes you need the original game first. The physical version allows you to get Luigi without Mario Bros though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

beep by grandpa posted:

You'll need NSMBU if you plan on downloading it, as it is DLC. Or you can buy the physical copy, which is a standalone game. I'd say it's worth it to grab NSMBU then getting the DLC, since the base game is great anyway. Get the physical copy of New Super Luigi U if you have no interest in getting the base game, or don't have the internet for some reason, or just want a physical copy because sure why not.

As for whether it's worth it or not, the stages are about half the length of the base game's stages, but they're also much more difficult. I love it, but your results may vary depending on whether you want that kind of more difficult platforming.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ages ago Nintendo posted a bunch of "super play" videos on Miiverse for NSMBU and a couple for NSLU and the stuff they do with boost mode is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2hOl1ZLY0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq6ik8hnbNc

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I wish I had friends with even half the amount of competence to pull this kind of stuff off...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Ages ago Nintendo posted a bunch of "super play" videos on Miiverse for NSMBU and a couple for NSLU and the stuff they do with boost mode is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2hOl1ZLY0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq6ik8hnbNc

I hope years from now Wii U emulation becomes possible simply because I want to see what kinds of amazing things you can do with this in a TAS.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
So what's the verdict on Wii Party U? I have two kids and a wife so we have no shortage of people to play it. Plus we could use a third wiimote.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

oneliquidninja posted:

So what's the verdict on Wii Party U? I have two kids and a wife so we have no shortage of people to play it. Plus we could use a third wiimote.

Very few people have it yet. Many reviewers did not like it. The review that I think shows it in the most positive light (and also in the circumstances it was intended to be played in) is this one, but I'm still not 100% sure if I will accept or reject the delivery from Amazon tomorrow. With two kids in the mix, it's probably a good bet.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Still the best reviewer on the internet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Spin The Bottle is where it's at, yo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whats the deal with Ghost Mii mode in 3D World? I saw it in the new trailer but had the sound off, is it like you download ghost data from the miiverse or what?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Jesus, dudes, ZombiU is like, really, really good. You know how horror and survival horror has been going the way of the dodo? It's all action from the Resident Evil guys, the Silent Hill games are terrible, everyone's making Slender or Amnesia clones...the sorts of old school survival horror games that are interesting mechanically and their horror is emphasised mechanically are just plain dead. But ZombiU is interesting mechanically, there's a ton of great design work going on here, plus it's old school survival horror. Inventory management, items are scarce, saving your game requires traveling to a safe place, death has a consequence. It's a really, really good game and the fact it will go down in history as a forgotten gem is just depressing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PonchAxis posted:

Whats the deal with Ghost Mii mode in 3D World? I saw it in the new trailer but had the sound off, is it like you download ghost data from the miiverse or what?
It looks like it'll be just like Rayman Legends, where you have the option of competing against ghost players' times/scores, which gives you the added benefit of seeing where some of the secret areas are or what the cool speedrun tricks are.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It looks like it'll be just like Rayman Legends, where you have the option of competing against ghost players' times/scores, which gives you the added benefit of seeing where some of the secret areas are or what the cool speedrun tricks are.

Just reminds me how some of the developer Luigi ghosts from Galaxy 2 were dicks. At least one would lead you to some remote part of the stage and then just stay there motionless if I'm recalling it correctly.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

oneliquidninja posted:

Polygon has the Famitsu numbers 9/8/8/9, 34 out of 40 points which sounds promising. But it is Famitsu, on the other hand.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Bionic posted:

Very few people have it yet. Many reviewers did not like it. The review that I think shows it in the most positive light (and also in the circumstances it was intended to be played in) is this one, but I'm still not 100% sure if I will accept or reject the delivery from Amazon tomorrow. With two kids in the mix, it's probably a good bet.

I'll probably skip it but Wii Party U is being done by the same guys that did Mario Party 9, right?

MP9 was the best Mario Party since MP1 imo. After seeing some of those mini-games it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for MP10.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ohvee posted:

Polygon has the Famitsu numbers 9/8/8/9, 34 out of 40 points which sounds promising. But it is Famitsu, on the other hand.

Look at the review right under it that got only one point less.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ohvee posted:

Does Famitsu even give bad reviews? I'm not sure I've ever seen them give something a score outside of the mid to high 30s range.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Does Famitsu even give bad reviews? I'm not sure I've ever seen them give something a score outside of the mid to high 30s range.

Their reviews have been considered jokes ever since Nintendogs got a perfect score.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

They give 20ish scores to budget looking games that couldn't pony up the cash. I think I saw a 17 once a year ago.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm trying to figure out what Santa is going to be bringing for my son this year and wanted to bounce this off the Wii U goons. Basically, I'm inclined to get a Wii U because my son is basically 90s kid 2.0 with the exception that BOTH Mario and Sonic are his favorite things ever.

I like the idea of the Wii U because:
  • It's not portable. With a 3DS he'll want to take the thing everywhere with him and we try to encourage other interests than JUST videogames (not that videogames are bad obviously)
  • The second screen on the tablet is pretty genius for the 'parents with video game kid' demographic. I like that it enables him not to not monopolize the television and he won't be off somewhere else in the house so we can hang out at least in the same room.
  • Mario and other Nintendo franchises you can't get elsewhere.

At 300 for the WWHD bundle (which honestly wouldn't be the greatest game for him, he's a bit young for it) it's expensive enough to give me pause especially when the 3DS is hundred dollars cheaper for the XL and well supported and successful.

My main reservations are the promise of ongoing support and games for the system. Would you guys consider the Wii U a wise purchase at this point within the context of what I've gone over in this post? It's giving me bad vibes and while we're well enough off I don't relish the idea of throwing hundreds of dollars at a dying soon to be offed system.

Just wanted to get a more informed take on things, thanks!

orphean fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 24, 2013

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Western games don't always review so well in famitsu but ever since Skyrim got a perfect score that's kind of out too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

orphean posted:

I'm trying to figure out what Santa is going to be bringing for my son this year and wanted to bounce this off the Wii U goons. Basically, I'm inclined to get a Wii U because my son is basically 90s kid 2.0 with the exception that BOTH Mario and Sonic are his favorite things ever.

I like the idea of the Wii U because:
[*] It's not portable. With a 3DS he'll want to take the thing everywhere with him and we try to encourage other interests than JUST videogames (not that videogames are bad obviously)
[*]The second screen on the tablet is pretty genius for the 'parents with video game kid' demographic. I like that it enables him not to not monopolize the television and he won't be off somewhere else in the house so we can hang out at least in the same room.
[*]Mario and other Nintendo franchises you can't get elsewhere.

At 300 for the WWHD bundle (which honestly wouldn't be the greatest game for him, he's a bit young for it) it's expensive enough to give me pause especially when the 3DS is hundred dollars cheaper for the XL and well supported and successful.

My main reservations are the promise of ongoing support and games for the system. Would you guys consider the Wii U a wise purchase at this choice within the context of what I've gone over in this post? It's giving me bad vibes and while we're well enough off I don't relish the idea of throwing hundreds of dollars at a dying soon to be offed system.

Just wanted to get a more informed take on things, thanks!

The WiiU's actually starting to get it's legs now rather than falling over, admittedly very slowly though, so it's worth getting one now that it has a moderately decent library of games behind it. Not to mention that between the eShop and the Wii Mode's Shop Channel, your kid'll have access to almost all the older Mario and Sonic games made in the last twenty-five years.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

orphean posted:

There's going to be another bundle out shortly that's also $300, but has NSMBU (and the Luigi DLC) instead. That game's a solid all-ages pick.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is the Zelda special edition bundle still findable or are they just gone? I'd suggest getting that if you can Orphean, just so your kid gets the cool special edition gamepad as well as a classic Legend of Zelda game to boot.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

orphean posted:

SANTA'S NOT REAL

How old is your son? A Wii U's probably a great choice for a console depending on how old he is. As an added bonus, most of the kid-friendly games (Mario, Rayman, Lego City, etc) are pretty drat fun for adults too and would be great for family time.

I doubt the Wii U's going to be "offed" for at least another year or two if at all; Nintendo are probably going to persist with it so even if you only get 1st party releases, they're the best of the bunch anyway.

On the other hand, the 3DS does have great support, and I'm sure you can just set some ground rules re: playtime if you're worried about him playing too much. With the 3DS you'll also have the advantage of keeping him busy if you're travelling.
Not having a 3DS for myself makes it hard to give a full recommendation. If you're interested in playing games with him, or playing games on your own, I'd heartily recommend the Wii U. If you're not as interested in playing games with him, I think the 3DS would be a great choice, especially if he's a fan of Pokemon or what have you.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Policenaut posted:

They give 20ish scores to budget looking games that couldn't pony up the cash. I think I saw a 17 once a year ago.

They gave Punch-Out! Wii like a 26 or something when it came out in Japan.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bionic posted:

That is probably one of the best overview of the new mini games yet.

I don't think they are even using Wii Motion Plus at all in those demos, so I am not sure why they sold a $50 version that included one...

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
There are a LOT of Mario games and Sonic games playable on the Wii U. There's the older games on the Virtual console, the Wii games and the Wii U games. This includes the classic platformers, the modern platformers, several Mario Karts, Sonic Racing, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and Smash Bros. Wii and Smash Bros. U, which both feature both characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Here is another interesting review of Wii Party U that shows off the game pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrCVactXGU

• Locked thread