Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Unless you have decent resists against that element. Once you've got some of the cursed armour your resists should rocket updwards decently fast. With only one or two of the rare pieces I had ~50% fire resist and ~30% on the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

No, I broke his fall. He fell with his back towards the ground while I was still attached to it.

Well that doesn't even make sense then. Turned out for the best though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Only now have I discovered how ridiculous Blast Arrows are. Brought Daimon's 2nd form down in about 60 seconds using them combined with the str periapts. Bitterblack weapon lvl 3 gets me a Mage Staff that I will never, ever need to use since Sorcerers do everything better than them.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

I am really impressed with this game. I have been playing Dark Arisen on the 360 for the last week and cannot get enough of it. The one class that has impressed me the most so far is the Mystic Knight. Loving that Great Cannon. It's really too bad the game was not that popular. I'd really like to see it also on PC or at least perhaps a Dragon's Dogma II some year.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Bill Zabub posted:

Dragon's Dogma II some year.

Rumors are Deep Down is going to be very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zek3eUBHlE4

Note the hints at asymmetrical multiplayer at the end.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bill Zabub posted:

I am really impressed with this game. I have been playing Dark Arisen on the 360 for the last week and cannot get enough of it. The one class that has impressed me the most so far is the Mystic Knight. Loving that Great Cannon. It's really too bad the game was not that popular. I'd really like to see it also on PC or at least perhaps a Dragon's Dogma II some year.

I freaking loved Mystic Knight, which is especially weird for me since I usually hate hybrid classes. All DPS, all the time is usually what I go for, and I generally only pure casters. I totally loved getting perfect blocks and zapping some sucker from across the map, loved Great Cannon, loved that damaging rune you stick on the ground.

I've completed every single quest (many of the multiple times), got 100% of the achievements, and I still want to play some more. I haven't, because there just isn't much appeal in killing Damon over and over again, but I really really hope that Deep Down does turn out to be similar. And if it does, I really hope the pawn system makes some sort of return because it was great: I got to make not one, but two characters and also see what other people came up with.

Plus I love those doofy bastards and all their silly dialogue.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been farming the gently caress out of lvl 2 Bitterblack weapons so I can get Magebreaker. I miss Great Cannon being unstoppable.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Rumors are Deep Down is going to be very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zek3eUBHlE4

Note the hints at asymmetrical multiplayer at the end.

I'm liking the 'randomized' dungeons but I'm not seeing nearly the expansive features that Dragon's Dogma offered and definitely nothing like the completely unique pawn system. I'm just worried that features are being sacrificed for eye candy. Deep Down kind of looks like Assassin's Creed meets old Dungeon Hack. *fingers crossed* though.

sitchelin posted:

I've been farming the gently caress out of lvl 2 Bitterblack weapons so I can get Magebreaker. I miss Great Cannon being unstoppable.

I've yet to get to Bitterblack. I know this is unrelated but I have yet to even accept that Duke quest as it warns that there is no going back from that point. I want to get as many quests done before I accept it. I assume Bitterblack is to be done after the main game or can it be attempted at any time? Level recommendation? I am currently at level 54.

Bill Zabub fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bill Zabub posted:

I'm liking the 'randomized' dungeons but I'm not seeing nearly the expansive features that Dragon's Dogma offered and definitely nothing like the completely unique pawn system. I'm just worried that features are being sacrificed for eye candy. Deep Down kind of looks like Assassin's Creed meets old Dungeon Hack. *fingers crossed* though.

I've yet to get to Bitterblack. I know this is unrelated but I have yet to even accept that Duke quest as it warns that there is no going back from that point. I want to get as many quests done before I accept it. I assume Bitterblack is to be done after the main game or can it be attempted at any time? Level recommendation? I am currently at level 54.

You'll never get shut off from Bitterblack.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, Bitterblack exists entirely outside of the scope of the game. Also, those warnings about 'not being able to go back' mean that several quests will cease to be available. If you aren't worried about occasional minor spoilers you can usually find details about which ones on the wiki.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, Bitterblack exists entirely outside of the scope of the game. Also, those warnings about 'not being able to go back' mean that several quests will cease to be available. If you aren't worried about occasional minor spoilers you can usually find details about which ones on the wiki.

Oh sweet I finished those other Wyrm Hunt quests days ago. Onward Ho!

Thanks for the advice folks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bill Zabub posted:

You can visit Bitterblack Isle at any time, but I strongly suggest putting it off until you've done some adventuring in Gransys after completing the main story. You're going to need the extra wakestones from the Everfall.

Here's a small primer. If you can successfully kill the Archydra in the Everfall then you're ready for Bitterblack Isle. Save up 2 million (yes, 2 million) gold, the merchant at Bitterblack sells some strong starter weapons. Once you begin to encounter corpse-feeder bosses, condemned gorecyclops, eliminators, and specialized drakes, things begin to get rough. If you encounter the grim reaper, drop what you're doing and RUN THE gently caress AWAY. You're not going to be able to put even the slightest dent in his health until you're in very high-end bitterblack gear, he can one-shot you and banish your pawns.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Bitterblack also completely destroys the balance of the regular game, so if you actually want to play the main part like it was meant to be played, don't go to BBI until after beating the game once. The wiki is full of people who spent time in BBI early on and are complaining how easy the game is. That's because they are 20+ levels above what the game is designed for and have weapons which do 3+ times more damage than anything you could possibly get in the normal game...

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

ChaoticGood posted:

Bitterblack also completely destroys the balance of the regular game, so if you actually want to play the main part like it was meant to be played, don't go to BBI until after beating the game once. The wiki is full of people who spent time in BBI early on and are complaining how easy the game is. That's because they are 20+ levels above what the game is designed for and have weapons which do 3+ times more damage than anything you could possibly get in the normal game...

Whoa don't be crazy. The game was super easy after the first few hours before they even added BBI.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Haha just killed my first Golem. That was a pretty fun fight. I really love the battles with big monsters in this game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Haha just killed my first Golem. That was a pretty fun fight. I really love the battles with big monsters in this game.

I always struggle with the medallion under its left foot. Wait until you fight metal golems, they're very fun to fight, but it's mandatory that you play as a strider/ranger/assassin to beat them. You'll know why when you face one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wow the fight up to Salomet is pretty bullshit. A fuckton of really hard to stun archers that fire arrows as fast as a minigun.

Salomet went down immediately though. :| Does he have really low HP or something?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, he has no hp. Salomet's gimmick is that he'll teleport away from melee attacks. So anyone with a ranged attack can kill him instantly and anyone with melee has to either kill all his skeletons or throw exploding barrels at him. It's, uh, not the best designed gimmick.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
I think he also summons a skeleton lord which might give you some trouble.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just fought Grigori. That was an awesome and fun fight (probably helps that his English VA is Kenpachi Zaraki's as well), if a bit easy. Now for post-game poo poo. :toot:

I also have no loving clue which NPC my beloved is. Don't recognize him at all. :v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you don't do all the duchess's quests and don't put any effort into increasing your opinion with anyone else, it'll almost always be the blacksmith or innkeeper because you talk to them more than anyone else. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Sindai posted:

If you don't do all the duchess's quests and don't put any effort into increasing your opinion with anyone else, it'll almost always be the blacksmith or innkeeper because you talk to them more than anyone else. :v:
I'm still not sure how you are supposed to avoid ending up with the Duchess if you do her questline. I really ought to refrain to do it but I'm an oldschool RPG player, leaving quests unresolved is like nails on a chalkboard for me :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm still not sure how you are supposed to avoid ending up with the Duchess if you do her questline. I really ought to refrain to do it but I'm an oldschool RPG player, leaving quests unresolved is like nails on a chalkboard for me :(

The wiki suggests making sure her affinity is set to zero before doing the quests, IIRC.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
i don't understand this game.

I just started and i'm fighting bandits, there's doesn't seem to be a dodge or parry button only block and hit. if i block they break my guard and kill me, if i hit they hyperarmor through my hits and kill me. i can't even seem to grab them. i feel like i'm missing some key game mechanics? sometimes my pawn will grab someone and the game will do a 300 camera thing and no matter what buttons i press nothing cool happens

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I just started and i'm fighting bandits, there's doesn't seem to be a dodge or parry button only block and hit. if i block they break my guard and kill me, if i hit they hyperarmor through my hits and kill me. i can't even seem to grab them. i feel like i'm missing some key game mechanics? sometimes my pawn will grab someone and the game will do a 300 camera thing and no matter what buttons i press nothing cool happens
Bandits are bastards in the beginning. Once you get some decent upgrades and better weapons you'll be plowing them into the ground. If you are in a hurry you could use some overleveled goon pawns to pave the way for you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bandits surprisingly are some of the nastier enemies you'll face. Your ability to dodge or block depends on your class; i.e. classes like strider or ranger get dodge moves, while fighter or mystic knight get sheilds they can block with.

You can do a sort of parry; if you block right before an enemy hits you you'll do a perfect block which will cause the enemy to stagger letting you get hits. Some classes also have abilities that trigger upon doing a perfect block.

Are you traveling the roads at night? Cause you'll encounter stronger/more enemies. Stick to traveling by day until you feel more comfortable with the combat mechanics.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Outside of the loving Bitterblack, warrior and shield bandits are possibly THE worst thing, on a level-to-first-fight basis, that you'll ever meet.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

You can grab bandits when they're either knocked down or recoiling from being hit. It's not something that people do very often but it's very effective.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

So the game is supposed to be this difficult :stare:

I couldn't even do the encounter after begrudingly setting the difficulty down to easy, ended up running away. Perfect blocking sounds cool i guess ill try that out. Wish the game would have even hinted at it's existence if it's a core game mechanic

What am I supposed to do when the game goes into slo mo cam?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Nothing, it's just showing you something that your pawns are doing because apparently they really wanted you to know. What you're actually supposed to do is go into the options and turn it off because it's dumb.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Genocyber posted:

Bandits surprisingly are some of the nastier enemies you'll face. Your ability to dodge or block depends on your class; i.e. classes like strider or ranger get dodge moves, while fighter or mystic knight get sheilds they can block with.

You can do a sort of parry; if you block right before an enemy hits you you'll do a perfect block which will cause the enemy to stagger letting you get hits. Some classes also have abilities that trigger upon doing a perfect block.
Small clarification, the dodge and blocking abilities are actually weapon based, though those are closely tied to class. Main exception is the Assassin vocation, which can dodge so long as you have Daggers equipped or can block so long as you have a shield equipped.

Assassins also get a parry/riposte skill that's like the one from the Souls games. I think it's called Easy Kill or something along those lines, and it more or less works the way you'd expect a Dark Souls parry to work, it just strings the parry and riposte together.

I couldn't even do the encounter after begrudingly setting the difficulty down to easy, ended up running away. Perfect blocking sounds cool i guess ill try that out. Wish the game would have even hinted at it's existence if it's a core game mechanic

The difficulty starts out pretty high, but it will dwindle as you level up, which is kind of unfortunate. There are some good old times when you stumble across your first dragon or wander around at night and are surrounded by the sounds of enemies grouping up around you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

tooooooo bad posted:

You can grab bandits when they're either knocked down or recoiling from being hit. It's not something that people do very often but it's very effective.

You can also throw them off a cliff for an easy kill! :eng101:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Perfect blocking sounds cool i guess ill try that out. Wish the game would have even hinted at it's existence if it's a core game mechanic

It's not, none of the cool classes use shields. Strider supremacy etc.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Have a fun image.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
A thing of beauty.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Welp just did the post-game stuff. Pretty interesting. I really like the lore in this game, just wish they could have expanded on it more.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

sitchelin posted:

You can also throw them off a cliff for an easy kill! :eng101:
No matter what level I am, if there's a cliff I will do my utmost to ensure that I get at least to toss one enemy to their doom.

I can unironically say that I've spent far more hours with this game than I will with most so called AAA titles. Which makes it even sadder since it's Capcom who owns this IP, which means that they'll probably do something retarded with it or bury it forever rather than make a sequel.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If the retarded thing they do with it is port it to PC I'd be okay with that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I just started a new character as a fighter, so another tip: use your skills often, and when you get more, test them on various enemies to figure out which ones are good. i.e. the one skill that you start with is really useful since it will send smaller enemies flying back, leaving them vulnerable to attack or just taking them out of the fight for a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Genocyber posted:

I just started a new character as a fighter, so another tip: use your skills often, and when you get more, test them on various enemies to figure out which ones are good. i.e. the one skill that you start with is really useful since it will send smaller enemies flying back, leaving them vulnerable to attack or just taking them out of the fight for a few seconds.

I gave up.

Maybe the combat gets fun later but i'm at level 20 with a dagger guy and STILL have no defensive abilities (switched to dagger when someone described it as having a dark souls parry), so combat is just "mash square" and "get healed by pawn" which isn't really fun for me. in the meanwhile the quests/story/running back and forth aren't fun/polished enough to keep me wanting to play more

• Locked thread