Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So speaking of AVP 2010...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/aliens-vs-predator/

On sale, steam key (naturally), $3.74

Darkhold posted:

Yeah there's a pretty big gulf between 'hey this old lovely game is worth a playthrough for 5 bucks' and 'I've re-evaluated this game and it's actually great!'

AvP was just mediocre for the time but it's aged ok and worth it if you have nothing else to blow a few bucks on. I played through the Marine/Alien parts of it and just quit when I reached the predator part. For 5 bucks? I had some fun. Had I gotten it full price a few years ago? I'd have been pissed.

Kokoro Wish posted:

All I know is that this game was so lovely that it gave everyone a whole new appreciation for the aggressively mediocre Alien Vs. Predator 2011. It takes a really, really bad game to make you appreciate that middling ones can still be fun, even if they're not spectacular.

DrProsek posted:

Also, patches can make a difference. On launch, AvP2010 had long load times especially under DX11, no dedicated servers, was very unstable and buggy, and multiplayer needed rebalancing. The patches certainly didn't fix the fundamental flaws and the game's overall quality is still fairly unchanged, but little things like crashes and long load times can really drag down a game even harder, so I can understand someone playing it today for cheap and having a much higher opinion of it than someone who paid full price and played unpatched.

ChickenHeart posted:

It also didn't hurt that it was possible to actually get a group of goons to invade a server and mob aliens to death with pistol-whipping marines:

For what it's worth, AVP 2010 couldn't possibly hold a candle to Monolith's classic, AVP2. But the game has just enough of its own quirks and gameplay differences to make it a separate beast from the other games in the franchise, making it a worthwhile sideshow to check out whenever it goes on sale over Steam.

omg chael crash posted:

Those nights running around with pistols was the only good thing we got out of this damned mess.

SirDrone posted:

It's amazing how angry Predator players or clans can get if you pistolwhip/gunbash them to death.

SBJ posted:

At least the graphics were pretty decent.

Compared to A:CM of course...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of want this thread to be goldmined because the arc from "Holy poo poo a new Aliens game?! :fap:" to "Well, the reviews are bad but I'm buying it anyways, I'm sure the lamestream media just doesn't 'get' it" to "holy poo poo, worst game ever! DO NOT BUY" over the course of about 20 pages is loving amazing. It's even better when you see the few people who cancelled their preorders or preached caution only to be shat upon by the true believers who hadn't even played the game themselves yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

So speaking of AVP 2010...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/aliens-vs-predator/

On sale, steam key (naturally), $3.74

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

AVP 2010 was and still is lovely, it's just not quite as lovely as this.

Please be mindful that before Colonial Marines, AvP 2010 was the huge disappointment, and Colonial Marines coming out has not made it better.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The Marine campaign is kind of fun, and at $3.74, you're literally only paying a dollar per hour of gameplay :v:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I also thought the alien campaign was pretty cool. Predator's gunplay wasn't as good as the marine's, the melee not as good as the aliens but still better than A:CM.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Please be mindful that before Colonial Marines, AvP 2010 was the huge disappointment, and Colonial Marines coming out has not made it better.

Yeah, I agree. Colonial Marines is bad, but I still loving hate AvP 2010. What you really want to spend money on is AVP 2000.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

In an alternate dimension somewhere, this was canceled instead of Obsidian's game.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I love hate dredging up a thread that should, by all means, remain dead, but an interesting bit of news has cropped up concerning Sega's next game:

quote:

“The next video game in the world of Aliens will star the daughter of superstar space officer Ellen Ripley, according to a Kotaku source. The game is called Alien: Isolation, and we hear it will be on both current- and next-gen consoles next year.”

“The protagonist of Alien: Isolation is Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, (…) You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There’s only one alien for “most” of the game, our source said; you’ll mostly be shooting through “clones and soldiers.” Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.“

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2013/10/21/20th-century-fox-trademarks-alien-isolation/

Aside from the utterly-bizarre choice to tie Ripley's daughter into all of this, the premise sounds...interesting? Maybe? I could really use that "cycle of hype/disappointment for Sonic games" image right about now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... what.

I was almost with it. "Okay, an Alien game with a single Alien you have to outsmart and avo... oh no you just shoot a bunch of humans and clones instead." And of course Ripley's daughter is the story because we gotta have a fuckin' Ripley.

Betcha she rescues a clone of Newt. She was cloned because of... uh... they recovered a sample of her from Fury and she was the first one with an alien inside her. Also Hicks is there because he's alive and due to cold sleep time travel he hasn't aged.

There we go. hire me, I'll write your lovely Alien game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 23, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
This is still my favorite quote:

quote:

Amanda, who is mentioned in the special edition of Aliens as having died while Ellen was frozen in space, has not yet been the focus of any books, movies, or games in the Alien extended universe.

Gee I wonder why! :v: I want to go back to a time where the worst thing I knew about the Aliens series was the fourth movie.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

you’ll mostly be shooting through “clones and soldiers.

It can always get worse. Always.

Then again we might just hold out hope that's just marketing talk to rope the FPS crowd in on a tense survival horror game, right SEGA? :allears:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
So they learned all the wrong lessons from ACM?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

quote:

Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said

Wait guys there's hope: if SEGA just makes this Condemned 3 with an Aliens makeover, we're solid. After growing up living from orphanage to orphanage, Amanda Ripley is a homeless, alcoholic mess who is recruited by the government to save everyone from the big bad, but then it turns out everyone is working for/trying to become that big bad. Also there's serial killers or something.

BOOM! Plotline done, now you can spend your writers budget on coke and hookers. It's not like spending it anywhere else would have resulted in a well made game anyway.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's a really cool idea, but they done hosed up from the outset if you carry a gun for more than 10% of the game.

Also Amanda Ripley loving kill me now and end this hideous charade :suicide:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Pimpmust posted:

you’ll mostly be shooting through “clones and soldiers.

It can always get worse. Always.

Then again we might just hold out hope that's just marketing talk to rope the FPS crowd in on a tense survival horror game, right SEGA? :allears:

At least they're straight up about that. v:shobon:v

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sega, can you please please just pay Obsidian to finish their game?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Yeah...reading that description of the game just went and made me kinda nauseous. No, I don't want to play as Ripley's daughter because that sounds stupid and I don't care. No, I don't want to fight me way through wave after wave of faceless fodder enemies. The idea of being hunted down by one alien in a space station is actually a really cool idea, though! But I've just got no faith whatsoever that they'll actually be able to use that in a way that it should be used.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

It's oddly satisfying that this time they are just up and saying "In this game, the aliens are barely there, it's all about the faceless mooks". This time we don't even need the initial period where we think the game could be good, maybe like a Amnesia: Aliens Edition, they're just letting us know they have one of the most iconic horror movie villains in their toolbox but they'd rather just make a generic FPS (oh but wait we have vents, lockers, and melee weapons guys!).

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Who the gently caress is a game like that even supposed to be appealing too :psyduck:?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Playing Aliens: Colonial Marines and seeing some of this new information makes me appreciate Alien 3 a lot more than I used to. And I liked Alien 3 quite a bit.

Holy hell, is a lot of this stuff fanfiction poo poo simply because they can't let certain characters go.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

blackguy32 posted:

Playing Aliens: Colonial Marines and seeing some of this new information makes me appreciate Alien 3 a lot more than I used to. And I liked Alien 3 quite a bit.

Holy hell, is a lot of this stuff fanfiction poo poo simply because they can't let certain characters go.

I especially enjoyed the part in the DLC campaign where Hicks and what's-his-face-colonist-dude somehow manage to drive an engineering skiff to Fury 161 with just enough time to be around to watch Ripley swan-dive into that vat of molten steel. It's made even better by the fact that the developers never got around to implementing complex facial animations for the characters so the dramatic shot of Hicks' head panning to follow Ripley's fall ends up looking like he's watching someone drop a pizza on the floor.

In somewhat-less lovely news, the entire soundtrack to the game got posted on Soundcloud. There were many, many things wrong with this game, but Kevin Riepl absolutely nailed the music. Without the game itself, you can actually notice the use of tracks from Aliens and Alien 3 throughout the entire thing.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ChickenHeart posted:

I especially enjoyed the part in the DLC campaign where Hicks and what's-his-face-colonist-dude somehow manage to drive an engineering skiff to Fury 161 with just enough time to be around to watch Ripley swan-dive into that vat of molten steel. It's made even better by the fact that the developers never got around to implementing complex facial animations for the characters so the dramatic shot of Hicks' head panning to follow Ripley's fall ends up looking like he's watching someone drop a pizza on the floor.

In somewhat-less lovely news, the entire soundtrack to the game got posted on Soundcloud. There were many, many things wrong with this game, but Kevin Riepl absolutely nailed the music. Without the game itself, you can actually notice the use of tracks from Aliens and Alien 3 throughout the entire thing.

I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm definitely going to make sure I see that DLC.

It was a lead works, not steel :spergin: - do they call it steel in the game?

blackguy32 posted:

I really liked Alien 3. Hated the idea of it at the time because ALIENS and MARINES and FLAMETHROWER-TAPED-TO-RIFLE, but it might be my favorite Alien story.

Amanda Ripley is a terrible idea, especially as it's going to have to retcon her death somehow (I can't think of a way to get her in a room with an alien that isn't terrible, but however they do it W-Y will almost definitely end up murdering her with "cancer" to keep her quiet, right).

I know people were upset with the amount of Dead Folks We Loved in Alien 3, but come on, guys, surely it's time to stuff all those corpses back in their boxes; poo poo's stinking bad enough here without digging up another.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

IrvingWashington posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but now I'm definitely going to make sure I see that DLC.

It was a lead works, not steel :spergin: - do they call it steel in the game?

I really liked Alien 3. Hated the idea of it at the time because ALIENS and MARINES and FLAMETHROWER-TAPED-TO-RIFLE, but it might be my favorite Alien story.

Amanda Ripley is a terrible idea, especially as it's going to have to retcon her death somehow (I can't think of a way to get her in a room with an alien that isn't terrible, but however they do it W-Y will almost definitely end up murdering her with "cancer" to keep her quiet, right).

I know people were upset with the amount of Dead Folks We Loved in Alien 3, but come on, guys, surely it's time to stuff all those corpses back in their boxes; poo poo's stinking bad enough here without digging up another.

Burke lied in Aliens when he said she had died, or that she was a grandma. What really happened: She went looking for Ripley against Company orders after receiving evidence that the Nostromo crew had been set up. She gets a group of mercenary prospectors (the only people who will listen because they think they'll make a big score if they visit this alien planet) to go, on the condition that they bring her along, to Ripley's last known whereabouts. There is a saucy ethnic merc, a dumb merc, a badass merc, a competent but unprepared captain merc, an unethical merc, a sexually non-threatening girl merc, a love interest merc, and some redshirts. Hijinks ensue.

There, I just ground my heel into the face of your favorite IP.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Who the gently caress is a game like that even supposed to be appealing too :psyduck:?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476559&userid=88755

That synopsis is an amazing thing to read. Why, for god's sake, would you focus on Ripley's daughter? That's insane. And beautiful. But mostly insane.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You don't need to retcon her death, assuming the player succeeds Amanda lives and at some point in the future dies of old age.

Other things you don't need to do: make this game.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Aliens are carcinogenic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Make a game focused on Amanda but instead of being a shooter with aliens and mercenaries and junk, it's a life simulation as you go through her routine throughout the years until she dies an old woman of cancer.

And then we see what she sees in the afterlife and GOD IS AN ALIEN

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

There, I just ground my heel into the face of your favorite IP.

You have a surprisingly appropriate user name, Mr. Whedon.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Alien 3 is a legit entertaining movie and that's good enough for me. As for this new game I can't wait to see what kind of a shitshow it turns out to be.

:allears:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Yodzilla posted:

Alien 3 is a legit entertaining movie and that's good enough for me. As for this new game I can't wait to see what kind of a shitshow it turns out to be.

Calling it now, 99.9% of the game will be a lovely CoD clone where you fight human dudes, and the lone alien mentioned is killed in a QTE after a sprinting / chase set piece that lasts about a minute and a half. :haw:

I am curious about what developer would step in though. Gearbox were caught taking money out of Sega's piggybank to put into Borderlands, so I can't imagine even on a corporate level they'd be stupid enough to give them any cash for anything ever.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Haha Amanda Ripley, jesus. Is that really a more interesting premise than other missions of the mercenaries before they got to the military ship with the frozen colonists in Resurrection? Give me more hooting Ron Perlman over this bullshit.

Yodzilla posted:

:allears:

The sequence at the end where they lure it into the lead forge thing with convict bait made me nautious in the theater. That walleye vision going in 360 degree rotation :barf:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I can't understood the rationale behind shoehorning Ripley (and now, her formerly elderly progeny) into the property again. Honestly, the character doesn't have a lot beyond 'she is good at surviving alien encounters but suffers PTSD' and 'she lost her daughter and subsequently saved and adopted a little girl her age from said monsters.' Her character is incredibly thin, and really the impact owes more to Sigourney Weaver's acting and the smart writing and direction of Scott and Cameron than anything truly interesting in the character herself.

Alien 3 survived, again, on Weaver's fantastic portrayal of an unhinged, delirious and suicidal take on the character and Fincher's hamstrung and nihilistic take. Alien Resurrection would have been better without Weaver whatsoever, if only so we could have had more goofy mercenaries shooting at xenomorphs with coffee cup guns.

Edit: this is, of course, discounting the weight the character holds as one of the archetypical examples of 'strong leading lady in a horror/action film.' And this is doubly true since it's incredibly rare to have a female lead that's both equally or more capable than the male leads while being almost completely nonsexual, especially in a series charged with highly sexual themes. But since this is a Sega game we're talking about and the last two 'strong' female characters we got in an Alien game from them were one-liner-spitting damsels in distress who either had their sternums perforated or were frozen shortly before said perforation, I'm not really holding out much hope that we'll see a worthy successor in Amanda.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 25, 2013

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wild T posted:

I can't understood the rationale behind shoehorning Ripley (and now, her formerly elderly progeny) into the property again. Honestly, the character doesn't have a lot beyond 'she is good at surviving alien encounters but suffers PTSD' and 'she lost her daughter and subsequently saved and adopted a little girl her age from said monsters.' Her character is incredibly thin, and really the impact owes more to Sigourney Weaver's acting and the smart writing and direction of Scott and Cameron than anything truly interesting in the character herself.

Because for some reason Higher Up's don't think any Alien franchise can survive/make money without Riply or one of the marines. You, me, and every one in this forums knows the solution: Aliens + Marines + Motion Tracker + Guns. (Okay, MAYBE some synthetics and Mercs, but just as a breather break). Just make some up some random mooks, make the gameplay like Alien Vs Predator 2, and call it a day. Sadly this would require people that really cared instead of some one looking for a quick buck.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This posting history perfectly summarises the whole Colonial Marines arc :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

This posting history perfectly summarises the whole Colonial Marines arc :allears:

Called that poo poo almost a whole year before it came out :smuggo:

:smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Oh hey it's another Colonial Marines fire sale, $5 on Amazon right?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009K6YJTS?tag=deals4dowcom-20

To match Steam's $5 Halloween sale?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49540/

But! According to the Deals4Downloads page (and nowhere else)...

http://www.deals4downloads.com/games/detail/1jmx/buy-aliens-colonial-marines-5-credit-pc-download/rg6x?utm_source=feedly

...you get $5 credit just for buying it. So Amazon are basically paying you a penny in store credit to buy Aliens.

Yes, we are at the point where stores are willing to PAY YOU FOR IT

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 30, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Still not worth the effort.

IrvingWashington posted:

After seeing the movie a lot, not liking it all that much myself but absolutely loving that work print of it released on the more recent anthologies, I think it's great. One thing I noticed in retrospect though, especially in the version released in theaters, audience evaluation was that it stunk because Newt/Hicks die so early, but the real reason this is so noticeable is because the two most developed guys in the prison, Brian Glover's Warden Andrews and Charles Dance's Dr. Clemens, get killed off so early and in rapid succession. I love Alien 3 but after that point the theatrical version really is just a bunch of bald dudes running around in the dark.

The work print is amazing though, I think it's great and miraculously well realized given what the film's original creators had to deal with.

Amanda Ripley, truly amazing. On the one hand that's stupid for all the reasons already discussed here. On the other hand I guess they figure after the embarrassment of Colonial Marines what have they got to lose? What I don't understand though is there's a trillion horrible Dark Horse comics about Aliens in various settings and time periods, why don't they just rip off or license one of those stories? You'd have new characters but all the cliche Aliens stuff is there anyway. There have been so many Alien video games throughout history, I've played them all, and all the best ones are the ones that focus on getting the Aliens right and having a focused atmosphere, it doesn't matter who the characters are and, at this point in time, I doubt anyone who is on the fence about this new game is going to suddenly buy it because you get to play as Ripley's daughter.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Neo Rasa posted:

I love Alien 3 but after that point the theatrical version really is just a bunch of bald dudes running around in the dark.

Yeah but one of those bald dudes is Pete Postlethwaite. :colbert:

I just realized I still have a couple of unused DLC(?) codes that a friend gave me when the game shipped.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I shamefully bought Stasis Interrupted on sale because I hate myself and have a morbid curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Yodzilla posted:

I shamefully bought Stasis Interrupted on sale because I hate myself and have a morbid curiosity.

If anyone grabs the Bughunt DLC I'll be happy to play a few rounds with them :unsmigghh:

Edit: Looking at my profile, it turns out the rarest achievement I've got comes from the DLC campaign:

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 30, 2013

• Locked thread