Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

I seem to remember a blog post by Rothfuss saying something to the effect of "well I had an outline written, and a lot of the early stuff written, but I've had to do lots of rewrites and fleshing out since the original draft was from my college days"

Basically 'I had it all written' wasn't a lie, just an exaggeration.

There are blog posts that state what you just said, and there are blog posts that say the story was 95% done and only minor editing was needed.

What probably happened was that he had a complete first draft done for the whole thing, but let the success of the first book go to his head and decided to rewrite everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The motive of all Ruh. A good story. If he cannot tell a good story then it is no story at all. I would not exactly say 'untrustworthy'.

It is also just a crafted point of view. Imagine the story told from Denna's perspective (shudder).

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Sogol posted:

The motive of all Ruh. A good story. If he cannot tell a good story then it is no story at all. I would not exactly say 'untrustworthy'.

It is also just a crafted point of view. Imagine the story told from Denna's perspective (shudder).
I think the Ruh also care very much for the truth. There are already a billion legends flying around about Kvothe, and he helped create a lot of them if only by not correcting the exaggerations others made. And at first he doesn't want to tell Chronicler anything, so that kind of works against the idea that he's looking for a platform to spin a good yarn.

Chronicler convinces him to tell the truth of his story by pointing out that this is the only chance he will ever have to have the truth of his life recorded before he dies, and he does believe his death is imminent. If Kvothe is a liar then the framing story has a lot of nonsensical and unexplainable elements.

The unreliable narrator theory keeps coming up but I don't really think there's anything in the text that supports the idea.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I don't think he is lying. In fact I think he believes he is clearing up the record. I also think he is telling a story and to him that means something more than a merely 'factual' account.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Above Our Own posted:

The unreliable narrator theory keeps coming up but I don't really think there's anything in the text that supports the idea.

One thing that supports this is when Denna brings up a kind of magic where writing things down makes them happen. Kvothe dismisses it at the time, but there is some speculation he is using the Chronicler to weave a spell that will change his past or destiny. Personally, it feels more like a straightforward story-within-a-story.

I don't think Rothfuss loves Kvothe as much as Kvothe loves Kvothe but I don't think he'd have him lie about the entire narrative either.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't see anything to support the unreliable narrator. I'm pretty sure that's just a thing from the handful of people going on about how it's so bad and so Mary Sue that the only way it could POSSIBLY be good is if Kvothe was lying about everything.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
At the beginning of the first book, Kvothe introduces himself in typically humble fashion, and one of the descriptors he gives himself is destroyer of some town. That ends up being the town the draccus went on his drugged up bender through. Given that Kvothe's actions were closer to saving the town, his first description was pretty inaccurate.

I think this gives a good picture of the way Kvothe is an unreliable narrator. He's not making up everything wholesale, but he is very much telling a story. Some things are exaggerated. Everything is colored by his opinions. Take Denna. He goes on about her like a lovesick schoolboy, but absolutely no one else in the story views there relationship positively.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I'd say Kvothe is unreliable narrator in that post-modern (sorry for using this word, I hate pretentious words too) sense that everyone's unreliable narrator, but I don't think it's very important. Sure, the whole frame of story builds on difference between common stories (which have been proven to be quite inaccurate/exaggerated) vs. "the truth" but Kvothe's version is as close to truth as we're going to get (since we don't live in Four Corners and/or are Pat Rothfuss), so there's no real point in trying to undermine it aswell..

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

mallamp posted:

I'd say Kvothe is unreliable narrator in that post-modern (sorry for using this word, I hate pretentious words too) sense that everyone's unreliable narrator, but I don't think it's very important. Sure, the whole frame of story builds on difference between common stories (which have been proven to be quite inaccurate/exaggerated) vs. "the truth" but Kvothe's version is as close to truth as we're going to get (since we don't live in Four Corners and/or are Pat Rothfuss), so there's no real point in trying to undermine it aswell..
Every POV narrator is expected to color the story a little bit but that is not what unreliable narrator as a literary device means. People want the story to be more clever than it is and this idea seems to accomplish that. The problem is that the device takes a lot of setup to be executed well and is gimmicky at best, and that setup is just not present at all in the books. There are no gradual hints that indicate even the least part Kvothe's story isn't true, so if it's unreliable narrator it's one of the worst examples of the technique I've ever seen.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wittgen posted:

At the beginning of the first book, Kvothe introduces himself in typically humble fashion, and one of the descriptors he gives himself is destroyer of some town. That ends up being the town the draccus went on his drugged up bender through. Given that Kvothe's actions were closer to saving the town, his first description was pretty inaccurate.

Yeah, but Kvothe was the one who fed the draccus the gently caress-off huge ball of drugs that sent the dragon on the bender, making him indirectly responsible for it. He saved the city from the consequences of something he did.

If I sic a dog on you and call it back once you're mauled up a bit, you're probably not going to describe it as that one time I saved your life.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I never meant to suggest 'unreliable'. He is a particular type of narrator in the tradition of his Father who spent years crafting a song and died for it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

See, the pirate/shipwreck story being entirely skipped over is, in my mind, kind of important. Like, if he'd told that story, there would be a concrete tale of Kvothe being genuinely heroic and making good decisions on the record and Kote has been spinning this long story of how Kvothe, the World Famous Hero, is actually a bumbling poo poo who gets everything memorable just handed to him on a platter. It's not quite subtle OR overt enough to make this theory really work though, and I know I'm just throwing random ideas to the wind in the hopes that book 3 will be fantastic. I just don't want two of the books I've enjoyed reading most in the last ten years to be as awkward/embarrassing as the overarching message/story seems to be building to so I'll justify it with anything until I can read The Doors of Stone and eat my drat words.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Whalley posted:

See, the pirate/shipwreck story being entirely skipped over is, in my mind, kind of important. Like, if he'd told that story, there would be a concrete tale of Kvothe being genuinely heroic and making good decisions on the record and Kote has been spinning this long story of how Kvothe, the World Famous Hero, is actually a bumbling poo poo who gets everything memorable just handed to him on a platter. It's not quite subtle OR overt enough to make this theory really work though, and I know I'm just throwing random ideas to the wind in the hopes that book 3 will be fantastic. I just don't want two of the books I've enjoyed reading most in the last ten years to be as awkward/embarrassing as the overarching message/story seems to be building to so I'll justify it with anything until I can read The Doors of Stone and eat my drat words.
It was almost definitely cut out wholesale for editing reasons. It shouldn't have even been mentioned.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I've read that not narrating the pirate story was Rothfuss showing off that his book was different; turning the stereotype of an action sequence on its head and effectively saying "the quiet bits of this book are the important bits/ develop the story". If it is, I reckon that's a crap reason for skipping an interesting bit of story in favour of narrating 200-300+ pages of tedium, especially given he breaks that theme to chuck in a couple of totally disconnected short stories at the end about fairy sex and sex village.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 23, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

The Supreme Court posted:

I've read that not narrating the pirate story was Rothfuss showing off that his book was different; turning the stereotype of an action sequence on its head. If it is, I reckon that's a crap reason for skipping an interesting bit of story in favour of narrating 200-300+ pages of tedium.
If Rothfuss said that then he is self-deluded and full of poo poo as usual.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like that reasoning would be sound if the section in question wasn't preceded by a few hundred pages of Kvothe having money troubles again and not learning anything meaningful about the Chandrian again.

Like, if the book opened up with a quick note about how his research went nowhere and how the pirate adventures that happened while traveling didn't drastically change his life or anything, then that would have been perfectly fine.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Supreme Court posted:

I've read that not narrating the pirate story was Rothfuss showing off that his book was different; turning the stereotype of an action sequence on its head and effectively saying "the quiet bits of this book are the important bits/ develop the story". If it is, I reckon that's a crap reason for skipping an interesting bit of story in favour of narrating 200-300+ pages of tedium, especially given he breaks that theme to chuck in a couple of totally disconnected short stories at the end about fairy sex and sex village.

It would have worked well - and I enjoyed the idea that we were only getting the parts of the Kvothe story in detail that Kvothe thought were important/interesting - if the Felurian story had been a lot shorter and focused more on the Tree of Doom.

e;f,b (slightly different emphasis, but ok).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I want someone to combine his books into a single 1,000 page volume. There's so much fat they seem really primed for a re-working a la The Phantom Edit.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Or, if he just out and out did the Steven Brust thing and unabashedly emulated the Dickens and Dumas model where they were paid by the word for installments. I should be clear, structural considerations about story and such aside, I really like Rothfuss.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't figure out whether I should keep these books on my Amazon wishlist. The way you guys describe them make them sound terrible but you love them at the same time?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but Kvothe was the one who fed the draccus the gently caress-off huge ball of drugs that sent the dragon on the bender, making him indirectly responsible for it. He saved the city from the consequences of something he did.

If I sic a dog on you and call it back once you're mauled up a bit, you're probably not going to describe it as that one time I saved your life.

The draccus was already high and already close enough to the village that it could have seen the festival bonfires. I could totally be remembering wrong, but I thought the wad'o'drugs was an attempt to kill the draccus before it started going through withdrawal and attacking people. I really don't think it's fair to say he sicced the draccus on the town. I don't think you'd describe him as the savior of the town, but calling him the destroyer of the town is even more of a stretch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't figure out whether I should keep these books on my Amazon wishlist. The way you guys describe them make them sound terrible but you love them at the same time?

I can't speak for everyone here but personally the way I see it is that Rothfuss does have talent as a writer but he gets caught up in dumb neckbeardy stuff like nice guy-isms and sex fairy goddesses. He has good prose and does a fine job at worldbuilding without feeling like you're reading a D&D manual like most fantasy tends to do, but on the other hand the protagonist is one heck of a self-insert character.

It's probably why the thread is so big. There's a lot to like about the books! But there's also a lot to hate! It really leaves me feeling rather conflicted about the series. No doubt a lot of people are also feeling conflicted about it, and that's the sort of thing that can really get discussion going.

Srice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's a love-hate relationship because Rothfuss clearly spent the lion's share of his formative years on the internet and has a few hundred pages in Book 2 that should've been cut. Also, I think he decided to get while the gettin's good and is angling to stretch this out into as many volumes as he manage.

Edit: If you ever saw that episode of Deep Space 9 where Garek discusses the highest form of Cardassian literature, the repetitive-epic, and it sounded like a good idea, then you'll like reading about Kvothe's troubles with money and a girl named Denna.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 24, 2013

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TOOT BOOT posted:

I love the first book. I wish more plot and less stupid poo poo happened in the second book, but I've read it a couple of times and enjoyed it. So get the first book and see what you think. Personally, I love pages like this:

quote:

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

The books are a C+/B- story told by an A+ writer. He doesn't have the best plot or the best characters. He doesn't even come close to it. What is he does have, though, is the most beautifully flowing and readable prose in the genre. I picked the first book up at 7pm and the next thing I knew the sun was coming up. Sure, the books have problems, the characters have problems, and he seems like a Nice Guy to the bone, but I didn't notice ANY of that crap while I was actually reading the book.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They are fun, with some annoying parts. But even the annoying parts (like the recurrent oh-noes-how-did-i-paid-for-hogwarts?!) are fun to read, because his prose is lively and entertaining. Definitely worth the couple of bucks they cost.

Also, I kind of liked that they skipped the whole pirate thing. Finally, someone in a book managed to transport themselves from a to b without ten chapters of travelogue. It's like the anti-gurm.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Khizan posted:

The books are a C+/B- story told by an A+ writer. He doesn't have the best plot or the best characters. He doesn't even come close to it. What is he does have, though, is the most beautifully flowing and readable prose in the genre. I picked the first book up at 7pm and the next thing I knew the sun was coming up. Sure, the books have problems, the characters have problems, and he seems like a Nice Guy to the bone, but I didn't notice ANY of that crap while I was actually reading the book.

I can't agree with this more. Kvothe's story is pretty good and has a very unique framing device, but it's Rothfuss's prose that brings me back. It seems sometimes the main story is the least interesting part about these books. He spends alot of time spinning his wheels and repeating certain themes ( I have no money! I like flute!Denna pretty! ) but at the same time you don't really care because it's so well written. Itls exciting to think where he might be and what he might write 20 years from now.

The worldbuilding is also very intriguing, the Chadrian and the Amyr especially. If you can get past the "Holden Caufield goes to Hogwarts" premise and look deeper into the books you can find some really interesting stuff. I wonder if Abenthy wiol come back or play any bigger part in the series.

Just don't read his blog or articles about him. He has some...interesting views on women.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

TOOT BOOT posted:

The good is really good but the bad is really bad. If you're on the fence, definitely read the first book.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I enjoyed reading them. I don't consider them the pinnacle of fiction, but I don't regret the time spent reading and look forward to reading the last book. I also enjoy reading some of the chapters over again because his prose is really great at times.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Khizan posted:

Yeah I'll back this. His writing makes it easy to lose track of time and read for hours, but hopefully he pulls a Sanderson and works on his weaker areas book by book.

Sometimes the second book feels like a RPG where you do so many sidequests you lose track of the main plotline at times and forget what the central story is about.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sometimes the second book feels like a RPG where you do so many sidequests you lose track of the main plotline at times and forget what the central story is about.
Oh, oh, holy poo poo, this guy could write an amaaazing RPG. All of the problems I have with his writing, he's perfectly suited to it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Accretionist posted:

Oh, oh, holy poo poo, this guy could write an amaaazing RPG. All of the problems I have with his writing, he's perfectly suited to it.
Well he's doing some writing for Torment: Tides of Numenara so there you go I guess.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I think the dream in this thread is Neil Gaiman writes the outline, Patrick Rothfuss writes the book.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think the dream in this thread is that Rothfuss's editor gives instructions more detailed than "you are perfect, write more of that solid gold, you tremendous person you."

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Khizan posted:

This is the best way they have ever been described.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I totally agree that Rothfuss is an A+ writer with a C+ story going on. I hope when he's done with Book 3, he sits down with some of Brandon Sanderson's lectures on giving up on the idea you've wanted to make for ten years and just starting something from scratch with the intention of writing something new. Rothfuss has said in many interviews how he wishes he had Sanderson's work ethic, so maybe being told to give up on his precious child bullshit and start something from scratch will bring his story up to more of a B+/A- level.

Accretionist posted:

Outside of Torment, he briefly had a youtube series of chatting with people about writing. He did an episode about storytelling in videogames where the less-crazy Penny Arcade guy sent him off with a huge list of things to check out, and Rothfuss essentially said "well, poo poo, so when I finish book 3 I'm probably just going to do IF from now on y'all."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do we still not have any idea whether the appearance of the Cthaeh on the first book's cover is a red herring, or an actual clue to the ending?

If it turns out to be the former, I'm going to be pissed at Rothfuss for allowing that kind of head-fake (and also for ending the series in a way not compatible with the Cthaeh).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Cthaeh at the start of a story means it's going to be a tragedy, going by what Bast said.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Khizan posted:

The Cthaeh at the start of a story means it's going to be a tragedy, going by what Bast said.
Unless he breaks that motherfuckin tree. Because his name means broken tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Above Our Own posted:

Unless he breaks that motherfuckin tree. Because his name means broken tree.

Probably when he goes back to get its flower that cures anything to cure whatever happened to Denna. I always imagined that as the what would happen after the story. He picks himself up and heads off to unfuck his biggest fuckup.

• Locked thread