Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

o muerte posted:

edit: Can you just ghost-suit gank the head ethereal and end the mission, or do you have to kill everything in the room?

You sure can, I just won in a similar way. I had a sniper behind the half-cover in the room before, single moved my assault volunteer (with psi armor and mind shield so they couldn't manage to MC her even if poo poo went wrong) into the room to get LOS, then double-tapped the boss ethereal in the face with my plasma sniper rifle. Easy victory, even if I didn't smash it in two hits from the sniper I had a run and gun + double-shot alloy cannon (or PSI Rift) pointed at the guy!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I kinda like how they made it so you'll just have random soldiers in that mission. It's neat.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

BenRGamer posted:

I kinda like how they made it so you'll just have random soldiers in that mission. It's neat.

You're statistically more likely to have a high ranked guy who's psi capable than any given rookie - especially if you went for Iron Will and took high ranked soldiers as mission rewards.

But yeah, if you squad wipe too many times leading up to that fight you're gonna be stuck with the grab bag psi pick.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just want some loving railguns. If plasma weaponry can be man-portable and practical then throwing a pellet of soft metal at Mach 5 should be too.

At least MECs get flamethrowers, because I am going to abuse use those for every door breach I can.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

I just want some loving railguns. If plasma weaponry can be man-portable and practical then throwing a pellet of soft metal at Mach 5 should be too.

At least MECs get flamethrowers, because I am going to abuse use those for every door breach I can.

MECs get railguns, they're the MEC laser equivalent.

With ending mission chat for the guy having trouble, if his volunteer can get into Rift range won't a single Rift kill the Ethereal? I usually just snipe/blasterbomb him; I've never actually bothered engaging the rest of the enemies in that room.

chami fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 24, 2013

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

chami posted:

MECs get railguns, they're the MEC laser equivalent.

With ending mission chat for the guy having trouble, if his volunteer can get into Rift range won't a single Rift kill the Etherial? I usually just snipe/blasterbomb him; I've never actually bothered engaging the rest of the enemies in that room.

I'm pretty sure Rift damage depends on the difference in will of the target & caster, so that won't be much help. Plus, even with a 200 will volunteer it only does 8~ damage per tick so it'd take a while to kill him with that alone.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Darox posted:

I'm pretty sure Rift damage depends on the difference in will of the target & caster, so that won't be much help. Plus, even with a 200 will volunteer it only does 8~ damage per tick so it'd take a while to kill him with that alone.

Ah, I stand corrected then. I've always just used Rift to utterly destroy the two Sectopods in the room before the final boss so I assumed it would do comparable amounts of damage.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

chami posted:

Ah, I stand corrected then. I've always just used Rift to utterly destroy the two Sectopods in the room before the final boss so I assumed it would do comparable amounts of damage.

Maybe it was your Heavy with HEAT ammo that did it? HEAT ammo applies to Rift too so you get to one-shot those Sectopods if you used your Heavy.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The last time I played this, my HEAT heavy did 40 damage against the sectopods. Easiest double sectopod fight ever.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

ChronoReverse posted:

Maybe it was your Heavy with HEAT ammo that did it? HEAT ammo applies to Rift too so you get to one-shot those Sectopods if you used your Heavy.

Sectopods and mechanical units have 0 will, so rift will do massive damage to them anyways, even without heat ammo. ~24 damage depending on will if I remember my last run right.

With heat ammo, rift will just instagib the sectopods.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gently caress me, 26 enemies in late May, at least two Cyberdisks among them, at least three Mechtoids, you don't get to pick your squad, and you have to clog the meat grinder with the bones of so many redshirts that four fatalities is evaluated as "Good"?

Screw that, I'm going back to playing on Normal.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Oh yeah, I asked Ananda on Twitter and he confirmed you can't give out medals posthumously.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Mr Dog posted:

gently caress me, 26 enemies in late May, at least two Cyberdisks among them, at least three Mechtoids, you don't get to pick your squad, and you have to clog the meat grinder with the bones of so many redshirts that four fatalities is evaluated as "Good"?

Wait, what's this about not getting to pick your squad?

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

The Rat posted:

Only for the base assault mission.

Based on that video, you seem to get a mix of your soldiers (it probably draws from the pool randomly, so if you have a large number of rookies versus leveled guys, you'll get weaker guys on average)* and some generic X-COM security personnel (who seem to be functionally equivalent to rookies)*.

*complete speculation

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Rat posted:

Based on the video, there wasn't an opportunity to pick which squadmembers were the ones you initially controlled. It also seemed like your other squadmembers would come in later with some redshirt backup. It might have been by rank, which kind of sucks if that mission comes when your B-team is the one carrying all the laser guns while your higher level guys have ballistic stuff and no armor.

edit: Also completely speculative, so I'm probably wrong on a lot of it. You did seem to get a lot of extra rookies though, so its probably good that it comes early before you can get too geared out, so then it doesn't really matter. (And losing 4 guys still gets you a "good" rating, so yeah)

vvvvvv eh, I'd rather not. When I'm training up a B-team, I try to use them for all easier missions while mixing in higher-level people as needed for risks. That doesn't mean my B-team is necessarily only used when the A-team is in the hospital. Which is why that "clear all equipped items" button is going to be a godsend. vvvv

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 24, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Ravenfood posted:

Based on the video, there wasn't an opportunity to pick which squadmembers were the ones you initially controlled. It also seemed like your other squadmembers would come in later with some redshirt backup. It might have been by rank, which kind of sucks if that mission comes when your B-team is the one carrying all the laser guns while your higher level guys have ballistic stuff and no armor.

I really wish there was a way to designate soldiers as "primary" or something so when they get out of the hospital the B-team automatically turns all the fancy stuff back over.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm just happy that there will (apparently) be a button to quickly unload a soldier's inventory and return everything they had back to the equipment pool.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Do you think they'll backport the quality-of-life UI improvements to the base game after EW is released?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Do you think they'll backport the quality-of-life UI improvements to the base game after EW is released?

I think they mentioned in some interview that they'll update original as well.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mr Dog posted:

Judging by the dialogue at the end of that Gamespot video and the fact that a Sectoid Commander shows up in that last wave I would guess the base assault isn't in a set date but rather it happens at some point soon after the alien base assault mission.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

From watching the TotalBiscuit video, I think it's hilarious that they added an option just to stop Vahlen from complaining about explosions at the start of the game. :v:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

From watching the TotalBiscuit video, I think it's hilarious that they added an option just to stop Vahlen from complaining about explosions at the start of the game. :v:

It is pretty hilarious, I love that. I love that they used that particular example for telling you what the option does.

I'm very excited for Enemy Within, I've been hungry for a real, real expansion for a game like this. Only Firaxis really do expansions like that anymore -- even if I'm sure others does it, they're the one that really comes to mind.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FutonForensic posted:

Enough people bitched so they put it in. Yes, hilarious, but also shows that Firaxis listens.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm just happy that there will (apparently) be a button to quickly unload a soldier's inventory and return everything they had back to the equipment pool.

I just hope that whenever you have guys in the gene/psionic labs for augments/testing that it automatically dumps their gear first. Or if you go to make a MEC trooper whatever gear the soldier had gets returned to the pool and not eaten. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dug out a load of terrain for my base expansion and decided I'd shut down the game for five days while the workers did their thing. Free2Play version of XCOM confirmed? :v:

Also, what's the trigger for the first UFO sighting anyway? Normally I can get away with about four/five missions or so, but in this campaign I only had two missions before I had to shoot down my first one. It took me by complete surprise.

vvvv - Oh right. Thought it was after a set few missions, rather than a first month thing.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 24, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

Also, what's the trigger for the first UFO sighting anyway?

Is it the first month Y/N?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Is it the first month Y/N?

You get one around two weeks in, yeah. It's a great way to get the cash for satellites.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

This makes me so sad, no Golden Dong of Valor :smith:

.. at least, no posthumous Golden Dong of Valor.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 24, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Insert name here posted:

Judging by the dialogue at the end of that Gamespot video and the fact that a Sectoid Commander shows up in that last wave I would guess the base assault isn't in a set date but rather it happens at some point soon after the alien base assault mission.

"Attack our base, eh? Well how do you like this?"

Some things I didn't know about in that video:
MECs regen HP somehow.
MECs have a Jetboot ability letting them climb stuff.
MECs have some form of advanced overwatch, probably removing the aim penalty.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The regen health/Jetboot was covered in the Total Biscuit video. They're both upgrade paths. The health thing was something like 2HP a turn to a max of 6HP per mission.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It's a shame the mec troopers without a suit can't do much of anything. They really ought to have had something like this matchup going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8-Z5kOpDc

Light humanoid cyborg vs cyborg mech. :allears:

Still, at least the biologically enhanced troops kind of do what I'd want a cyborg without a mec suit to be capable of doing.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Alkydere posted:

You could also put off the final temple ship indefinitely if you wanted depending on how global panic is going.

Again, only if I was prepared and knew what the mission actually entailed. Now that I'm in it, on Ironman, I've got no choice but to try and do it with this gimped squad.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

MEC's seem really overpowered. I think I'll run primarily gene modded troops and keep one or two MEC's around at the most.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The offset to mecs is probably the suit repair times. (Having multiple suits built for this reason might wind up being a thing.) It will probably be best to have the lion's share of your troops as gene modded grunts ready for anything.

Though you will want to rotate people through getting their gene mods so you don't get caught with a touch fight without any A or B-listers ready to roll, as TB pointed out.

Also - I'm wondering how well all this synergizes with SHIVs, and with psychic powers. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of SHIVs and mec troops synergizing their capabilities. From a roleplay point, I would be pretending as though the SHIV is controlled by the mec pilot almost like a secondary remote controlled extension of their cybernetic abilities, and probably be trying to play and pick upgrades in a way where the SHIV and the mec pilot work together really well as a 2-person unit. (The way I built 2-person units to work together by their upgrades and class choices in the non-expansion game. My favorite setup was a highly accurate rifle assault class build with a suppressing holo targeting heavy, who would work in conjunction with one another as the 'containers.')

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 24, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Demiurge4 posted:

MEC's seem really overpowered. I think I'll run primarily gene modded troops and keep one or two MEC's around at the most.

Supposedly one or two MECs is how many most players will be able to afford in the first place.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

Supposedly one or two MECs is how many most players will be able to afford in the first place.

It seems less like an interesting strategic decision and more of a "just get as many MECs as you can afford and make the rest of your squad gene modded" thing. That's honestly pretty boring.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

From what it looks like, mecs seem vulnerable to mind control powers compared to resistant gene modded and psychic troops. Against tougher mind control enemies, they could be a liability. A huge one, given how strong they are.

It does look though, as if the mec suit repair downtime will be their primary drawback.

Oh, and there are a lot of different abilities that the mecs don't have access to, and other troop types can synergize well with them. A support tossing an invisibility grenade on them, for example.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 24, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

If money does end up being a huge concern, I am sure the three satellite starting month plan will end up being even more important than normal. Gotta get that early UFO mission in order to be able to afford the satellites though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Filthy Monkey posted:

If money does end up being a huge concern, I am sure the three satellite starting month plan will end up being even more important than normal. Gotta get that early UFO mission in order to be able to afford the satellites though.

It also means a lot more if you lose a mec suit or a mec pilot, it seems.

Though the same can be said of gene modded folks, the gene modded guys have special abilities that prevent their deaths and also get them back into action in shorter downtime between missions.

I actually was kind of hoping for a reason to not gene modify some of your troops though. The main reason to not do it seems mainly that you don't want your A and B listers all going through gene therapy upgrade downtime at once when you are under attack.

Then again, not doing it and 'getting the most out of your troops' by not overlapping gene mod powers with class abilities or items that cause redundancy would be more of a 'allocating your resources intelligently' thing. Oh and there's also the whole 'you stand to lose more if this guy dies' thing.

In any case, I will be interested in seeing how much mileage I can get out of deciding when NOT to use my mec troops and instead send in the gene therapy goons with maybe a support SHIV.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkhold posted:

The regen health/Jetboot was covered in the Total Biscuit video. They're both upgrade paths. The health thing was something like 2HP a turn to a max of 6HP per mission.

Oh, I didn't watch TB yet. A 6 HP cap seems a bit weak, did they mention if the Regen bone marrow genemod has the same limit?

• Locked thread