Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Migishu posted:

I tested this; setting it with "Run as admin". Still failed.

If it bothers you still try the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit which can do some voodoo magic with regards to getting applications to play nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Someone should write a program that would run an app that is asking for some kind of admin permissions in a sandbox and watch for any denied disk or registry calls (like regmon or procmon, but filtered for that particular thread), prompt the administrator as to who will be using the application, and then automatically set permissions for that user or group based on what it detected.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This ticket scored only middling on the "Mangled english meter" as far as our usual track record goes, but it was a favorite of ones I happened to glance at on the helpdesk today:

"I had my window password change like all the others windows"

Category submitted under: Nothing at all to do with passwords.

One of our folks just responded with "OK thank you!"

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Cross posting the poo poo out of this:

:frogsiren:BOTTLE OPENER ORDER FORM:frogsiren:

We can't split orders between sizes, and everyone OVERWHELMINGLY chose 32g, so we're going with that. Price would be $23.45 plus shipping if we got at least 25, to $18.45 plus shipping if we got over 100.

Timeline:
Close out form for orders Nov 1st
Collect payments by Nov 7
Create final order and submit by Nov 11

If all goes well, you should get it in the mail in the first two weeks of December (Domestic). I will work with international recipients.

PM with questions.

BTW: We can only pick one design, so this is a vote. Winning one will be ordered.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 23, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A webex came in... and the Irish technical presenter had this in his search bar the entire time.

It had to have been a joke, but he never even mentioned it. No one else did, either.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Cross posting the poo poo out of this:

:frogsiren:BOTTLE OPENER ORDER FORM:frogsiren:

We can't split orders between sizes, and everyone OVERWHELMINGLY chose 32g, so we're going with that. Price would be $23.45 plus shipping if we got at least 25, to $18.45 plus shipping if we got over 100.

Timeline:
Close out form for orders Nov 1st
Collect payments by Nov 7
Create final order and submit by Nov 11

If all goes well, you should get it in the mail in the first two weeks of December (Domestic). I will work with international recipients.

PM with questions.

BTW: We can only pick one design, so this is a vote. Winning one will be ordered.

Do we have a picture of what these look like minus design? I was trying to find the original post with the info, but no luck.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Come on grenade!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Casting a vote in for grenade. That way if people ask what it stands for I can be all smug :smug:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
... poo poo, I'm one of them, a user. I think I hosed up and skipped one of the fields on the form :saddowns:

Should I just fill it out a second time? (I think I forgot to fill out the entire address).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

We're up to 45 confirmed units. If we get 100 on one for the price break, I can do two orders and get the 25 or 50 price break for the other. Nothing says we can't do multiple orders.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

... poo poo, I'm one of them, a user. I think I hosed up and skipped one of the fields on the form :saddowns:

Should I just fill it out a second time? (I think I forgot to fill out the entire address).

yeah just go ahead and fill out again, if i'm confused by anything like multiple entries ill email.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Gwaihir posted:

Fill it out 7 to 23 more times with a different mistake each time then call everyone and their boss's mobiles while they should be eating or sleeping and ask them to fix it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 24, 2013

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Some metrics came in!

...aaaaand my resume's updated. I'm jumping ship at the first indication that it's going into our review.

Luckily my supervisor is vocally against it, and if I can convince my director to add certain numbers to said metrics it'll prove to management that the new processes to make things better are just making everything worse. (Who am I kidding?)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
A awesome ticket came in, Cryptolocker. Spotted the symptoms of it on the FS, but was delayed like 1.5 hrs going through "processes"

Call comes in
:newlol:"yeah can't open files on \\X\Y\Z.xlsx" Says X is corrupt or not the original file type.
:v: "lemme get remoted in here and see what is going on
I see about 40 files changed each modified by $user$ within seconds of each other, basically I realize the user has something on their computer causing this, no one could have done that fast.
:v: Okay I need to check something server side can I stay connected and just give you a ring back in 5 minutes.

Hey Bossman I think X has something up with their server, mind checking me on my thoughts here?
:geno: Oh okay.
:v: -Semi-long-yet-quick rant explaining why I think it is malicous software-
:geno: Uhh we can't jump to that, can you open the file or others?
:v: Like I said in $rant$ no
:geno: Oh let's go through a 35-45 minute long process while cryptolocker infects it.
:v: but I really feel we should look at the pc of $username$?
:geno: Dilbert do you even hear what you are saying? You are basically saying that the malicious software bypassed Microsofts Office 365 security settings, I could see on their domain with their old poo poo but this is the cloud. Just do what I say there is no use for us to remote in for 2 hours hunting down something it may not be!
:bang: I-... Okay I'll do the process
:geno: well nothing I said worked, remote to the users PC and see if files you upload are encrypted
:v: finally!
-remote in-
:geno: See no crypto-
:v: Look the user just tried to hide it I told you this was malicious software! It's Cryptolocker!
:geno: How'd you know so fast? We didn't go through my the process.
Apparently O365 migrations mean everything wrong with Permissions and such are instantly fixed and nothing bad happens! Some people need to take some security classes and understand Windows Filesystems

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 24, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

We're up to 45 confirmed units. If we get 100 on one for the price break, I can do two orders and get the 25 or 50 price break for the other. Nothing says we can't do multiple orders.

I'm in for 3, gogo price break! :v: It's a decent price for a 32gb, in addition. I'm fine with either design, but shouldn't it be in case of emergency please do the needful?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I started my managed it job a few weeks ago. When I showed up they introduced me to my brand new machine.
16 gig ram, terabyte sata drive, quad core, and jabra headset. Our office has a 33 mb/s connection shared between 7 users.
It has been an absolute dream to work with.

It makes me sad when I remote into ten year old machines with 1 gig ram and 20 gig hard drives sharing a t1 line shared between twenty people with heavy internet usage.

That client is upgrading to office 2010 and the tickets keep pouring in every day with cascading issues. To top it off, their work is too important to let us get any work done during office hours despite numerous problems with integrations between office and other mission critical software preventing them from doing their jobs.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm in for 3, gogo price break! :v: It's a decent price for a 32gb, in addition. I'm fine with either design, but shouldn't it be in case of emergency please do the needful?

yeah that poo poo was typo'd. Please will be in there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

A awesome ticket came in, Cryptolocker. Spotted the symptoms of it on the FS, but was delayed like 1.5 hrs going through "processes"

Call comes in
:newlol:"yeah can't open files on \\X\Y\Z.xlsx" Says X is corrupt or not the original file type.
:v: "lemme get remoted in here and see what is going on
I see about 40 files changed each modified by $user$ within seconds of each other, basically I realize the user has something on their computer causing this, no one could have done that fast.
:v: Okay I need to check something server side can I stay connected and just give you a ring back in 5 minutes.

Hey Bossman I think X has something up with their server, mind checking me on my thoughts here?
:geno: Oh okay.
:v: -Semi-long-yet-quick rant explaining why I think it is malicous software-
:geno: Uhh we can't jump to that, can you open the file or others?
:v: Like I said in $rant$ no
:geno: Oh let's go through a 35-45 minute long process while cryptolocker infects it.
:v: but I really feel we should look at the pc of $username$?
:geno: Dilbert do you even hear what you are saying? You are basically saying that the malicious software bypassed Microsofts Office 365 security settings, I could see on their domain with their old poo poo but this is the cloud. Just do what I say there is no use for us to remote in for 2 hours hunting down something it may not be!
:bang: I-... Okay I'll do the process
:geno: well nothing I said worked, remote to the users PC and see if files you upload are encrypted
:v: finally!
-remote in-
:geno: See no crypto-
:v: Look the user just tried to hide it I told you this was malicious software! It's Cryptolocker!
:geno: How'd you know so fast? We didn't go through my the process.
Apparently O365 migrations mean everything wrong with Permissions and such are instantly fixed and nothing bad happens! Some people need to take some security classes and understand Windows Filesystems

I'm no fan of reddit, but this is really the best consolidated resource for Cryptolocker stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

Just had 2 customers today that got hit by cryptolocker. In both cases it was the head honchos who ran the attachment.

There were others who ran it too, but believe it or not, AVG averted additional disasters where MSSE and Symantec Endpoint(no surprise here) failed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Anyone know if Kaspersky is any good at stopping it yet?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm no fan of reddit, but this is really the best consolidated resource for Cryptolocker stuff.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/1mizfx/proper_care_feeding_of_your_cryptolocker/

I like this source, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507240/crypto-locker-malware-removed-files-still-encrypted/

They may be assholes on that forum but drat their poo poo works well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Anyone know if Kaspersky is any good at stopping it yet?
Not yet, but I can't wait to find out :shepface:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I like this source, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507240/crypto-locker-malware-removed-files-still-encrypted/

They may be assholes on that forum but drat their poo poo works well.

The information is much more spread out at bleepingcomputer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So does paying the 300 dollars or nominal fee work?

I suggested it as Cost*Tech_hours=< 300; but yeah the PC got completely wiped before the powers that be go "oh could we have done that?"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So does paying the 300 dollars or nominal fee work?

I suggested it as Cost*Tech_hours=< 300; but yeah the PC got completely wiped before the powers that be go "oh could we have done that?"

By all reports, yes it works. It can take a while; they process the payments manually.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cryptolocker is basically Reamde from the book of the same name by Neil Stephenson. Straight out of science fiction.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde
I forgot to mention - the email this Cryptolocker variant came in was particularly convincing.

It appears to have started with someone in the company getting malware that dumps their Outlook contact list and then uses a botnet to send to send to all the addreses on the list. It was disguised to look like a Unity voicemail message that was forwarded internally because it was supposedly left on the wrong department's voicemail. It comes complete with a message body filled with legit email addresses(also from the contact list) of the people the email was "originally sent to".

goddamn evil

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

baquerd posted:

Cryptolocker is basically Reamde from the book of the same name by Neil Stephenson. Straight out of science fiction.

So you have to go into an MMO to find the key?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

So you have to go into an MMO to find the key?

No, but you still want to be really careful about getting the virus when you have the files of Russian mobsters on your PC.

Splashy Gravy
Dec 21, 2004

I HAVE FURY!
Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

By all reports, yes it works. It can take a while; they process the payments manually.

I thought I saw some reports of some variants having hard-coded phone-home servers that have been taken down.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

A few hours into it, here's the horrifyingly high contrast orders so far:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
NEED-FUL! NEED-FUL! NEED-FUL!

I put in for two, one for me and one for my BIL who is also a goon but feels like RF engineer rants aren't really best for A Ticket Came In...

Steve, if you're here anyway, you'd better drop some hints as to what you want for Christmas other than a bottle opener thumb drive

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ahh GoDaddy, don't ever change.

Don't stop doing poo poo so stupidly that people come running to me with problems ranging from "Hey, how can I do this?" to "gently caress this poo poo. What's a good host?"

My wallet appreciates it sincerely.

Honestly, only GoDaddy could gently caress something up so horribly like they have with their WordPress auto install script. The first time my friend tried to use it (she bought the domain and hosting before consulting me), she ended up with HTTP500 errors everywhere. So I removed it, then went into the file manager and removed the stuff that the install put there but the uninstaller didn't/couldn't remove.

Ran it again just to see where the issue was, and it's still going after 15 minutes. A full 5 minutes to create the database.

Only GoDaddy could take WordPress's "Famous 5 minute install" and turn it into such a shitfest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Soooooooo MY GIRLFRIEND snagged a Dell U2711 she found in her dad's storage unit. I came home and saw it running at 2048x1152.

This. Could. Not. Stand. Not in my house.

Unlocked the OSD, changed it to DisplayPort, gave her a DP cable and stared in awe at the 1440p greatness. It's pretty hilarious seeing how the laptop screen is 1366x768 attached to a 2560x1440 monitor.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Swink fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 24, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A few hours into it, here's the horrifyingly high contrast orders so far:

:(

I really want a grenade.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Don't see why we can't have the Grenade with the needful on it. That would make more sense to me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

couldcareless posted:

Do we have a picture of what these look like minus design? I was trying to find the original post with the info, but no luck.

http://www.flashbay.com/products/pop-flash-drive

Aluminium casing, retractable USB plug. Solid, slim design for cracking open a beer.

I voted 'nade, partly because I think it's more subtle. Most people wouldn't think too much of it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, surprisingly enough, the GoDaddy install script for WordPress worked. It only took 6 hours to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
On-call phone rang at 10:18 last night during the world series game. I work for a Boston-area company, so whomever is calling me right now is a dick.

The same person who called me on my last on-call shift is having problems with her phone, again. Can't send or receive emails, no error messages.

After about 10 minutes she realized she left airplane mode turned on. Okay, all set, good night.

Pressed end call and immediately started bitching to my wife. "This goddamn woman, yadda yadda." Turned and looked at the phone, saw the call was still open. It terminated a few seconds later.

Whoops.

• Locked thread