Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I certainly wasn't implying The Gang aren't potential DT candidates. I was just pointing out that you have to be really going for it with your alocholism to get to that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The intros this season have all been great. That was fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
...I want this cheese...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm going to assume that this isn't actual intelligence pills.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Charlie Day needs to play geniuses more often. This is fantastic.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

stupid science bitch couldn't make I smarter

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So was he making up his own chess rules too? I could see that but on the other hand he did start talking a lot more intelligently for real.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fast Luck posted:

So was he making up his own chess rules too? I could see that but on the other hand he did start talking a lot more intelligently for real.

If you analyze what he was actually saying versus how many words he was employing to convey said concepts, you could easily see that he was engaging in what is a time-honored tradition among faux-intellectuals given an environment that gives them an opportunity to showcase their supposed intellect, ie, using many words and synonyms to obfuscate the fact that he is in fact trying to say something extremely simple.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you analyze what he was actually saying versus how many words he was employing to convey said concepts, you could easily see that he was engaging in what is a time-honored tradition among faux-intellectuals given an environment that gives them an opportunity to showcase their supposed intellect, ie, using many words and synonyms to obfuscate the fact that he is in fact trying to say something extremely simple.

Is that you Charlie

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Does anybody know what the classical piano theme was that they played at the beginning of the Charlie scenes? It's really famous and it's bugging me I can't remember the piece/composer.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

h_double posted:

Does anybody know what the classical piano theme was that they played at the beginning of the Charlie scenes? It's really famous and it's bugging me I can't remember the piece/composer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0Hzy4LMmE

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Also utilized for the "classy" parts of CharDeeMacDennis if memory serves me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't know what I just watched but it was amazing and I want more!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Maybe it was the longer, lighter, hair, but Waitress looked... a bit different in the face.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I knew there was a reason why I couldn't understand a word of Mandarin Charlie was trying to say.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I'm pretty sure he's moving a pawn diagonally in his check mate move, not even into check. On second watching, the Chinese dude is a huge dick.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Thanks! And yeah I'm pretty sure I remember it from CharDee MacDennis too.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I imagine that people not familiar with Algernon will have no idea what the episode title means or how it relates to the story. First one they've done like that I think.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

ChesterJT posted:

I imagine that people not familiar with Algernon will have no idea what the episode title means or how it relates to the story. First one they've done like that I think.

Hundred Dollar Baby comes to mind. I knew of the movie but having not seen it the ending came totally out of left field.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Charlie Day's career trajectory continues to draw in fantastic guest stars. The British scientist was in Pacific Rim as Scientist-Charlie's super serious counterpart.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's like The Gang Broke Dee all over again, except Charlie doesn't give a gently caress.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I lost it at the reveal of Charlie's invention.
Cat talking with Spydar

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.

shinymodem posted:

I'm pretty sure he's moving a pawn diagonally in his check mate move, not even into check. On second watching, the Chinese dude is a huge dick.

Also, I'm pretty sure Charlie said "Checkmate" twice. Great episode. I hadn't heard the theme from "Police Academy" in years and for some reason it put the biggest smile on my face.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

neckbeard posted:

Maybe it was the longer, lighter, hair, but Waitress looked... a bit different in the face.

I noticed that, I wonder if part of it was intentional to make her look more ditzy.

Sefal posted:

Cat talking with Spydar

This episode did the same thing as The Gang Breaks Dee, where it made me think that they had actually produced bad fan fic and made Charlie smart, so I loved that reveal.

The only bad thing about the episode was that it seemed to borrow quite a few Simpsons/Futurama jokes,

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

entropy posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Charlie said "Checkmate" twice.

To be fair, they were playing two games simultaneously.

I also thought it was a nice touch he had a chess clock set up on the chemistry bench in the previous scene.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

entropy posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Charlie said "Checkmate" twice.

He was playing two games of chess.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
9+9= box, which is where the cat goes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That gas smelling scene had me cracking up. Holy poo poo.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

gret posted:

I knew there was a reason why I couldn't understand a word of Mandarin Charlie was trying to say.

Did you understand the other guy? It might be funny to see if he was actually saying something in Mandarin or if he was also speaking gibberish.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Weird, this ep was written by the Game of Thrones writers. I think they did a pretty good job.

JgPz
Oct 21, 2008
I died when Charlie told the waitress to have some beaujolais and "take that uninviting edge off".

jazzhandzzz
Feb 3, 2011
Keep in mind It's Always Sunny is like a Seinfeld situation where all the main guys rewrite every episode like 12 times. The plot was definitely still out there even for Sunny standards. Still great i thought though.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Finally my friends, at long last, the day has come! We have the means, the understanding, the technology! ... To allow spydars to talk with cats!

*meow*

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
The "technology" of which is of course, a corded telephone taped to a box containing each of them. Do they use the phones like people do?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
As great as all of Charlie's stuff was, the gang huffing gas and spending two days unconscious on the floor of the bar was my favorite part of the episode. What a perfect way to write them out of Charlie's plot.

"Deandre, are you holding onto the trap?"
"Oh. I don't.. I don't know." :feelsgood:

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 24, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I love how "Smart" Charlie was right in that the gang could in no way actually kill that rat.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ehhhhh, while this season has been great, I thought this episode felt a little weak and forced. Maybe that'll change with another viewing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think they've broke everyone in the gang this season. Well not really Charlie since he got to complete his invention.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sefal posted:

Cat talking with Spydar

Me too. I knew something ridiculous was going to be under the sheet, and I burst out laughing when his "invention" was revealed. Charlie's illiteracy and insanity is always good for a chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

bbf2 posted:

Did you understand the other guy? It might be funny to see if he was actually saying something in Mandarin or if he was also speaking gibberish.

Yes the Chinese research assistant was actually speaking Mandarin.