Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Plus it was for Rider hotdogs. That's.....weird. Especially for a fruit samurai to sell fish dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I really want a fish dog.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Kamen Rider Gaim: Too Juicy To Handle

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He isn't earning the money by being an entertainer really. He's getting the money through the invess game not dancing. And while it isn't (even in universe)equal to dealing drugs it is like some sort of fightclub and i could see someone be against profiting from that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Boxing, MMA, wrestling etc. aren't entertainment then? What's the difference? He's being paid to fight for the entertainment of the crowd too after all. There's rules, there's rewards, there's specific areas to fight in. Doesn't seem any different to me.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
You're right we should start paying money for every street brawl.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
She wants him to get a real job and work for his money and grow the gently caress up and stop running around with a gang street-dancing for territory and taking the easy way out by using his superpowers to crush fights. Holy poo poo why is this a multi-page argument?

It's literally the "great power, great responsibility" speech except that her point is that everyone has responsibility regardless of whether or not they turn into an orange.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Elfgames posted:

You're right we should start paying money for every street brawl.

I'm just saying that cockfighting is a legitimate business enterprise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Invess battles (armored rider or not) are more than just street brawls. They're televised entertainment in this setting.

Nobody is arguing that Kouta shouldn't have some responsibility, we're (or at least I am) arguing that based on the universe presented to us, being a member of Team Gaim is legitimate gainful employment and is not deserving of the scorn that his sister puts on it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I'm pretty sure everyone admits that his attitude certainly needs to change and that he's being rather arrogant at the very least. Some of us just don't think getting paid to entertain people by fighting, regardless of how transient it might be, is something that deserves to be thrown in your face and treated like it makes you less than.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And others agree with the point, to a point, just not the way it was given.

I really wish the episodes would, as odd as this is to say, slow the gently caress down and show us how the world actually works. We know very little about any of this, and there's no real status quo to speak of. Why is he getting paid? Who is paying him? Does this pay extend to other battles? What are the actual state of the games, such as they are?

We don't know, and honestly the series has really mixed up a lot of its metaphors and ideas to the point of being incomprehensible at a glance and incoherent at a gaze.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rei_ posted:

I'm just saying that cockfighting is a legitimate business enterprise.

It's like cockfighting except the other guy lets his chicken out and then you get in the ring and just shoot it in the face.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The best comparison I've seen was someone up thread mentioned pro video gamers. It's certainly a non-traditional way of making money, and like a lot of sports-type careers you probably will only get a few good years out of it before the money dries up (for contact sports you get older and slower and injured, for e-sports you lose your reflexes and the fad of a given game dies out), but if you can make it work for you, hey go for it.

That's why Kouta is doing; he has a talent (ability to use the belt and lock seeds) and he's making it work for him.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Pro video gaming is an awful job, take it from someone who has actually worked as a games journalist.

It's bad.

If someone tells you to grow up and get a real job, and your job is -playing video games-, they are giving you serious and heartfelt advice. "It makes money" is not a reason that a job is a good or bad thing, we're talking about a show that is about growing up and being mature and responsible and your comparison is Pewdiepie?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hence why I thought it was a better analogy for Gaim's dancing/battles rather than the more professional entertainment industry jobs like basketball or WWE, since both obviously make money but one is not gonna have people tell you to get a real job. Nothing in Gaim so far has shown the dance crews to be anywhere near being associated with the entertainment business or professional competitive dance, so more likely they're a televised hobby like professional video-gaming and viewed negatively in the same way by society. It's still unclear whether it's even an endorsed televised culture, or whether it's all just an underground indie movement streamed over the web that got popular.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Am I the only one who thought there wasn't actually any prize money and he was just selling all the Lockseeds he won?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Where his sister's coming from makes all the more sense when you consider the history of this street competition stuff; not so long ago it was all dancing, then the Inves Game started and how well you dance stopped being important, and then Kouta got his belt and started curbstomping all the other teams' Inves and that made the skills those guys had depended on no good. The world's he's found himself depending on is very mercurial and he could lose all this money at any time if the next big thing comes along - perhaps something like another Armoured Rider showing up and providing legitimate competition to him?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Volcano Style posted:

Am I the only one who thought there wasn't actually any prize money and he was just selling all the Lockseeds he won?

I don't think they established Kouta as someone to spin a line of complete BS like that though, especially to his sister.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Where his sister's coming from makes all the more sense when you consider the history of this street competition stuff; not so long ago it was all dancing, then the Inves Game started and how well you dance stopped being important, and then Kouta got his belt and started curbstomping all the other teams' Inves and that made the skills those guys had depended on no good. The world's he's found himself depending on is very mercurial and he could lose all this money at any time if the next big thing comes along - perhaps something like another Armoured Rider showing up and providing legitimate competition to him?

I think this actually highlights my favorite part of the episode. Kouta looked legitimately scared of Baron. His stance after he transformed was so incredibly low, like he was trying to make himself shrink.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, there's a lot of fantastic writing with a really, really talented cast. It seems to bump up a lot against the suit design and any direction that involves actual motion though, which is a shame.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Plus it was for Rider hotdogs. That's.....weird. Especially for a fruit samurai to sell fish dogs

So there's a long, long tradition in Japan of superhero shows, especially Toei's, having their branding slapped on packages of fish sausages. I was watching SASUKE one time and a guy from some older Sentai was on it, and the announcers immediately cracked a joke about "the man who sold all those sausages."

I won't lie, I watched the stream with the Aesir guys and begged for the fish sausage ad to go into the raw. I love Japanese superhero fish sausage commercials because they're always completely batshit in some way. I try to track down and watch the fish sausage commercials for each Sentai/Rider/etc if I can find them.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As of episode 3, I'm still enjoying the show, but the problem is Kouta is an awesome character... and no one else is. Kouta's actor is wonderful at character acting from how he displays his emotions to delivering his lines. His reaction when Kaito transforms was very well done with Kouta shrinking and realizing what he's done. The rest of the cast falls flat for me. Kaito is a one-note shallow character who represents an ideal and that's it. There's nothing else to him. I'm going to keep enjoying Gaim for Kouta alone, I'm sure, but they really need to build up the others characters.

While I get it's supposed to be a takeoff of Spider-Man, the whole scene with Kouta's sister was very awkward and bizarre in its execution. There was no power and warning behind it like Uncle Ben's classic words. I don't really get why they went for the whole "stop playing games" angle when it should've been more direct about how Kouta needs to become a man. It's a strange message in a kids show about dudes in fruit samurai suits. Like Urobuchi and the other staff are trying to be clever? But it just comes off as borderline incoherent. I have issue with his sister talking about helping others in the workforce too, but that's just standard Japan moralizing that I'm used to in their entertainment media by now.

If anything, Kouta "selfishly" working to help his friends and family, and not other people he doesn't know, is what the hugely vast majority of people do when making a living. Of course Kouta is going about it entirely the wrong way and this is a TV series about him becoming a hero. That's the whole point.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 24, 2013

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gaim has generated more discussion than any Rider series in years and I'm okay with this.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

>and his name is meant to be a contraction of Seed.

...I feel bad that I never noticed this.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Rei_ posted:

...we're talking about a show that is about growing up and being mature and responsible and your comparison is Pewdiepie?

Yes, he was absolutely comparing him to Pewdiepie. Because massive professional communities for StarCraft 2, MOBAs like LoL/DOTA2, and even loving TF2 that provide income for elite players on a competitive scene don't exist.

Come on. I even get the point she's trying to make and that was the most disingenuous comment in this entire argument.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 26, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Yeah, putting aside some of the actual discussion about it, just bringing this kind of stuff up makes it stand out a lot compared to other entries.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Did they do one for episode one? They talk like they did but it doesn't seem to be on the website.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Fezz posted:

Did they do one for episode one? They talk like they did but it doesn't seem to be on the website.

Magenta did a really long Twitter string of complaints with TV-N's Gaim 1, but I don't have it immediately on hand.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I like their take on it saying that Akira's position isn't one you're necessarily meant to agree with, and was presented as a lecture on purpose even if the point she was making had merit.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Monathin posted:

Magenta did a really long Twitter string of complaints with TV-N's Gaim 1, but I don't have it immediately on hand.

They've all made their way to the Onore TVN Tumblr by now anyway. All the Gaim 1 caps were from that string.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Gaim 04 just hit. I always did love grapes!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I've only seen the Raw so far but it was a REALLY good episode, lots of stuff is starting to happen.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That was an incredible episode. I really like where this is going. Did we know that Micchy was Melon's (can't remember his name) brother before this? I may have overlooked it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Darksaber posted:

That was an incredible episode. I really like where this is going. Did we know that Micchy was Melon's (can't remember his name) brother before this? I may have overlooked it.

I'm pretty sure we knew that Ryugen and Zangetsu were related, but it was pretty commonly overlooked, and I don't think went into finer details.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm pretty sure that was only told explicitly in magazines and press stuff.

edit: But yeah, this was a fantastic episode. There's definitely a lot of things escalating, with Kaito basically buying out his competition by doing like maybe the most sensible thing you could do with a forest full of Lock Seeds, and Kouta very quickly realizing just how dangerous everything has gotten, and idk, it seems like a pretty realistic decision he makes at that EXACT MOMENT considering what had just happened to him. Micchi Sort of comes out of nowhere in this episode, as he's largely a background character until now, and asserts himself with a pretty strong and clear motivation. We get some good characterization out of him, too.

What's interesting with Kouta is we now have five characters pulling him in five different directions, and we're seeing how he responds to each one. Mai is showering him with a level of praise and recognition that I don't know if he entirely deserves. Micchi clearly idolizes him in a similar way, but is willing to take on his burden. Kaito sees him as not taking full advantage of his power, and clearly wants him out of the way entirely. Akira somewhat rudely judges him, but she makes some good points about how he's still very immature in how he sees the world and uses what he has at his disposal. Whereas Takatora just sees him as pathetic, possessing the belt as something he's not at all capable of. Takatora lets him live, but it's unsure if he sees Kouta as just not worth killing, or wants to see if he grows into a suitable competitor.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 29, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The dancing was terrible in this episode. Just dreadful. I'm this close to dropping the show for good.

Seriously, though, it's great watching a new Rider series that actually has a plot. I think we can consider Urobuchi's trap officially sprung at this point. The scene with Kouta in his room had his fingerprints all over it.

Fred is on fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 29, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really want one of Baron's fruit-themed playing card decks...was it created as a prop for the show? Or does anyone know where I could buy one?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rei_ posted:

I'm pretty sure that was only told explicitly in magazines and press stuff.

edit: But yeah, this was a fantastic episode. There's definitely a lot of things escalating, with Kaito basically buying out his competition by doing like maybe the most sensible thing you could do with a forest full of Lock Seeds, and Kouta very quickly realizing just how dangerous everything has gotten, and idk, it seems like a pretty realistic decision he makes at that EXACT MOMENT considering what had just happened to him. Micchi Sort of comes out of nowhere in this episode, as he's largely a background character until now, and asserts himself with a pretty strong and clear motivation. We get some good characterization out of him, too.

The only thing I really have to add to this is that there was some pretty fantastic acting from both Kouta and Micchy's actors this episode, between Kouta freaking out in his room about the fact that he could actually die and how quickly things had escalated beyond anything he'd expected and Micchy getting Sid on his side. I think Micchy might be my favorite character at the moment, and I'm really interested to see where they go with him at the very least now given that the next episode preview suggests Gaim showing up to fight for friendship, presumably with him, but we know that he ends up becoming Zangetsu/his brother's aide, while he still seems to have a lot of respect for Kouta as things stand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 29, 2013

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

tsob posted:

I think Micchy might be my favorite character at the moment, and I'm really interested to see where they go with him at the very least now given that the next episode preview suggests Gaim showing up to fight for friendship, presumably with him, but we know that he ends up becoming Zangetsu/his brother's aide, while he still seems to have a lot of respect for Kouta as things stand.

Do we know the last part of that spoilered bit for sure? Discussion about that last bit:

I know that at the beginning of the first episode we saw him beside Zangetsu, but I always took that as something that happened in the past. Some of the upcoming stuff on Jefusion still lists him as working with Gaim, but it's entirely possible that there's a big twist coming up, especially with what we've already seen. It's entirely possible that it's been mentioned in media but I missed it entirely, just like I missed the brotherly connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Darksaber posted:

Do we know the last part of that spoilered bit for sure? Discussion about that last bit:

I know that at the beginning of the first episode we saw him beside Zangetsu, but I always took that as something that happened in the past. Some of the upcoming stuff on Jefusion still lists him as working with Gaim, but it's entirely possible that there's a big twist coming up, especially with what we've already seen. It's entirely possible that it's been mentioned in media but I missed it entirely, just like I missed the brotherly connection.

I believe Urobuchi discussed this in an interview somewhere: The beginning scene is something like a possible future or something to that effect. So there's still a chance Micchy could ultimately side with Kouta. Though I think that Micchy has a thing for Mai, what with his sort of sad face when the team called Mai and Kouta a good couple and his watching videos of her, and this will strain his relationship with Kouta in the future.

Also concerning some new scans, so mega spoilers: Apparently that Hideyasu guy from Invitto is going to be Gridon and it confuses me because Urobuchi said that Gridon was someone that adults would identify with/find interesting. To me, though, he just feels like an evil, somewhat smarter, JK, what with his weird fashion sense. I'm hoping he'll impress later though.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 29, 2013

• Locked thread