Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

cowofwar posted:

IPads aren't macbooks. I doubt there will be a pro model because pros create, they don't consume. IPads are for consumption, macbooks and macs are for production.

Somehow I think apple marketing will disagree with your characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Would I be able to walk into an Apple store on Manhattan on Nov 1 and pick up a new ipad without sleeping in a queue? I have never been to New York so I don't know how many they get on the release date and how mental the Apple fanboys are there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I had no problem walking into Best Buy and buying my iPad 3 and an Apple TV 3 in the late afternoon (~4 PM I think) of day one; and that was a third-party retailer which usually receives far less stock.

You'll probably be fine, but if they have in-store pickup as an option you might as well check stock before you go in.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Xabi posted:

Would I be able to walk into an Apple store on Manhattan on Nov 1 and pick up a new ipad without sleeping in a queue? I have never been to New York so I don't know how many they get on the release date and how mental the Apple fanboys are there.

Probably depends on which Apple store in Manhattan, and I'd guess probably not on release day. The flagship 5th Ave store is definitely out, and from what I saw with the last release, the UWS side is a no go as well. I haven't gone by the other locations on a release day but I'd be hesitant about the Soho and Chelsea stores as well (will probably be swarmed by NYU kids with no Friday classes). You could try Grand Central (have no clue what kind of traffic they get) but I'd bet on a Best Buy, or other electronic store to improve my odds. I live in a standard high rise apartment, and every iPad release day there have been 25+ preorders waiting in the lobby, so Manhattan demand is quite a bit higher than previous crowds would indicate. How many of those people preordering actually show up to a store on release day - I can't say.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MrBond posted:

Somehow I think apple marketing will disagree with your characterization.
Mac pro
Macbook pro

These computers are for pros and marketed to pros. Pros are for professionals. Professionals work on their computers to create something new. A production iPad doesn't really make any sense because they are more marketed as an interaction device for mobile people (watch the video from the iPad event).

The airs are marketed as being light and has nothing to do with the pro lines. The existence of one has no bearing on the other.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Mac pro
Macbook pro

These computers are for pros and marketed to pros. Pros are for professionals.
Well, except the for 13" Pro which is their best-selling laptop and the most popular with students, sure.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks a lot, sexy parrot and tyrant! Is it the same kind of craziness with mac or are chances better there? I'd try to buy online if I could, but you can't use foreign credit cards on the US Apple Store - at least you couldn't before.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

cowofwar posted:

Mac pro
Macbook pro

These computers are for pros and marketed to pros. Pros are for professionals. Professionals work on their computers to create something new. A production iPad doesn't really make any sense because they are more marketed as an interaction device for mobile people (watch the video from the iPad event).

The airs are marketed as being light and has nothing to do with the pro lines. The existence of one has no bearing on the other.

I see iPads being used by doctors. Are doctors not professionals? Semantics are hilarious.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well, except the for 13" Pro which is their best-selling laptop and the most popular with students, sure.

http://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/features-retina/

quote:

MacBook Pro
Clearly our most advanced notebook ever.
A groundbreaking Retina display. All-flash architecture. The latest Intel processors. Remarkably thin and light 13‑inch and 15‑inch designs. Together, these features take the notebook to a place it’s never been. And they’ll do the same for everything you create with it.
If you think they'll make an iPad Pro then that's great but in my opinion tablets are primarily for media consumption and mobile interaction with apps for professionals which differ from the pro line computers which are primarily for content creation. I'm sure there are exceptions and tablet usage will change over time but I think this is currently the industry dogma and why you wont see an iPad Pro.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You're trying to apply some really strict market segmentation to products that overlap several segments. I'm not sure why that's so important to you and I don't think it'll dictate what products Apple brings to market, but whatever.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

cowofwar posted:

If you think they'll make an iPad Pro then that's great but in my opinion tablets are primarily for media consumption and mobile interaction with apps for professionals which differ from the pro line computers which are primarily for content creation. I'm sure there are exceptions and tablet usage will change over time but I think this is currently the industry dogma and why you wont see an iPad Pro.
I'm sure you'll see one because it's hard to be smug when all these sleek hybrids outperform yours. There might not be a need for an iPad Pro but I'm certain there will be a demand for it.

The additional horsepower might just enable some killer apps that take advantage of it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

You're trying to apply some really strict market segmentation to products that overlap several segments. I'm not sure why that's so important to you and I don't think it'll dictate what products Apple brings to market, but whatever.

Apple knows that every time a pedant opines about content creation vs consumption, one of their cash registers rings somewhere.

Not that they have cash registers, but the point stands I guess.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

cowofwar posted:

Well, that's just your opinion, man.

I think the only people spouting "tablets are only for consumption" line are from people that look down on tablets. Or buy the MS marketing wholeheartedly.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Somebody should probably let Apple know that iPads are only for consumption so they can stop wasting their time giving away iWork and iLife.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Unless you need to do serious corrections or adjustments (which is fine, I do too, sometimes), I've been pretty impressed with the RAW editing apps available on iOS.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
drat, t-mobile is playing hard ball. Apparently they're going to be offering the iPads on their no-contract contracts. Buy the iPad, get a free 200 megs, the option to buy unlimited week passes for vacation, and spread the cost out over 2 years with 0 interest. I was on the fence about it, but it looks like a 32 gig lte is in my future. Now just to decide on air versus mini.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I had no problem walking into Best Buy and buying my iPad 3 and an Apple TV 3 in the late afternoon (~4 PM I think) of day one; and that was a third-party retailer which usually receives far less stock.

You'll probably be fine, but if they have in-store pickup as an option you might as well check stock before you go in.

Whereabouts do you live? I've found in SF and the Bay Area lines were enough to deplete the first day's stock of iThings, and the following days were a wash.

Certainly not calling you false, but I think it's area dependent.

I live in Seattle now and maybe things'll be better?

University Village Apple Store had lines for the 5S but they didn't look heinous. Then again it was already later in the day so maybe the bad lines were over...

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Is anyone else seriously considering going from the full sized iPad to the Mini? I was seriously considering it before but now knowing that Tmobile is giving away data for free and fit only costs 30 more than the same equipped 32gb wifi model...I'm having some difficulty choosing!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is anyone else seriously considering going from the full sized iPad to the Mini? I was seriously considering it before but now knowing that Tmobile is giving away data for free and fit only costs 30 more than the same equipped 32gb wifi model...I'm having some difficulty choosing!

It really comes down to whether you want a bigger screen or not. Personally I would do the Mini, but if i didn't have a computer i would more strongly consider the Air.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Whereabouts do you live? I've found in SF and the Bay Area lines were enough to deplete the first day's stock of iThings, and the following days were a wash.

Certainly not calling you false, but I think it's area dependent.
Orange County, CA. Probably the only place rivaling the Bay Area for iDevices per capita. Our stores down here get tons of stock.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

drat, t-mobile is playing hard ball. Apparently they're going to be offering the iPads on their no-contract contracts. Buy the iPad, get a free 200 megs, the option to buy unlimited week passes for vacation, and spread the cost out over 2 years with 0 interest. I was on the fence about it, but it looks like a 32 gig lte is in my future. Now just to decide on air versus mini.

Yep going to do the same - was going to get a wifi - but no point in not getting in on that free sweet LTE.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

suddenlyissoon posted:

I love the Mini and am definitely selling it for the retina version. The 11" air is my primary computer, so I'm ok with small devices.

If the retina mini and new air were the same price, I would probably still get the mini.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 24, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

What's the deal with Apple's order page for the iPads proclaiming that they will only work for the provider you select, when you hit the cellular options?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

mediaphage posted:

What's the deal with Apple's order page for the iPads proclaiming that they will only work for the provider you select, when you hit the cellular options?

I think it always says that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

I think it always says that.

Ah, good to know. I've always just picked an iPad up in store.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm having the same difficulty. With the price increase, the mini with LTE is just $100 less than the full-size ipad with the same storage. With the full-size being just as thin as the mini, and with it weighing just a pound, it makes the decision tough.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Gnomedolf posted:

I'm having the same difficulty. With the price increase, the mini with LTE is just $100 less than the full-size ipad with the same storage. With the full-size being just as thin as the mini, and with it weighing just a pound, it makes the decision tough.

I honestly think the only deal breaker for me would be if the mini had less ram.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I do wonder if the Mini is clocked to the same level as the iPad.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wengy posted:

No one who's used the 3 on iOS 7 for any length of time would write this. Come on.

I have a 3 and have no complaints about iOS 7 on it

I'm probably upgrading just because of the weight

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wanted to replace my 3 with the Air, but the lack of Touch ID nixed that idea. Sucks because I'd love to move off the 30-pin connector for my 2 devices. Maybe next year.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wanted to replace my 3 with the Air, but the lack of Touch ID nixed that idea. Sucks because I'd love to move off the 30-pin connector for my 2 devices. Maybe next year.
Why is TouchID a must have? I could see it being a nice bonus, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool. Enjoy your new iPad.

It was a deal-breaker for me though. I think it's extremely useful. I hate typing my PIN in every time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Cool. Enjoy your new iPad.

It was a deal-breaker for me though. I think it's extremely useful. I hate typing my PIN in every time.
Yeah I'm extremely spoiled by Touch ID on my 5S and was considering upgrading my iPad 4 if the new model had Touch ID. Thankfully Apple made the decision for me and I'll just wait until next year.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have the New iPad 3 and was totally going to get a mini if they introduced Retina and TouchID. Well, I'm another person who is spoiled by touchID. I actually try just about every time to unlock my iPad that way and get frustrated when it doesn't have it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Theres nothing to suggest the mini will be gimped hardware-wise against the air, since they are both identical, specwise. Not sure why anyone is claiming they are going to be different clock speeds or RAM capacities.

Definitely upgrading from my ipad2, but not sure which way to go. Probably 64GB mini at this rate since they both seem identical outside of the physical size. The ipad2 is a good size screen, its just the added weight of the larger device is annoying. Even if the new one is lighter, its still not as light as the mini, which feels great to hold in both size and weight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I'm not claiming anything. I'm just wondering. When the iPad was still using iPhone processors, Apple often clocked it higher than the iPhone. I wonder if the Mini will be clocked to the same freq. as the iPhone or the iPad Air, or if they'll all be the same.

Either way it's still going to be a completely worthy upgrade.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been fighting my urges to get an iPad for a long time, but I think I'm finally at the point where I wouldn't just be getting one for the "ooh, neat gadget" factor. My laptop is getting older, and the less travelling and schlepping it around in a backpack I do with it, the longer it will live (not that I abuse it or anything, but that sort of thing naturally shakes it up a bit), and with the sort of work I'm getting into, it might actually fit what I would want out of a traveling tech device better than my phone and my laptop.

So I know I want one. The question now is, which one? I like light (I have a MacBook Air 13" currently, and I love love love it), so I'm leaning toward the Mini, I honestly don't think the screen space is worth the extra $100, particularly because I'm already gonna spring for the cellular model. Luckily, my current phone plan is split with my family (not just my parents, but my sister, aunt/uncle, and grandparents as well), so the only question is if we can fit another device on the plan; if we can, there's no way I wouldn't go for that, because it really wouldn't be a huge data boost (I don't plan on doing much video watching/music listening, because I have a TV/iPhone for those things, it would just take over net browsing from my iPhone and maybe some games and work/writing stuff, the latter of which don't really involve much data).

Now the only real question I have is, how much space should I think of getting? I don't plan on keeping much on there in the way of music/videos, unless they're videos I record. It would mostly be apps and documents, and I don't think I'd need bigger than the 16 for those. Is there anything else I should think of? Accessory-wise, I know I'd want a case/cover and an Apple wireless keyboard, but again, not really sure what else I'd need.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Yoshifan823 posted:

So I know I want one. The question now is, which one?

I have a 3rd generation and was set on the Mini unless the big iPad was significantly lighter. Since it is it's worth the extra $100 to me for the extra screen space. Plus I think the Mini is going to be difficult to find for a while. I have a 16GB and have never come close to running out of space. I have a few large games and mostly stream my music. Photos take up most of the space. I'm going with the 16GB air.

Could we also rename this thread to The iPad Thread - The Air Up There?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I haven't had a chance to go to an Apple Store, but have any of them put iPad Air cases on display yet? I'm curious to know if the cases for the Air still have that rock-hard and sharp edge to their smartcovers/cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I've been fighting my urges to get an iPad for a long time, but I think I'm finally at the point where I wouldn't just be getting one for the "ooh, neat gadget" factor. My laptop is getting older, and the less travelling and schlepping it around in a backpack I do with it, the longer it will live (not that I abuse it or anything, but that sort of thing naturally shakes it up a bit), and with the sort of work I'm getting into, it might actually fit what I would want out of a traveling tech device better than my phone and my laptop.

So I know I want one. The question now is, which one? I like light (I have a MacBook Air 13" currently, and I love love love it), so I'm leaning toward the Mini, I honestly don't think the screen space is worth the extra $100, particularly because I'm already gonna spring for the cellular model. Luckily, my current phone plan is split with my family (not just my parents, but my sister, aunt/uncle, and grandparents as well), so the only question is if we can fit another device on the plan; if we can, there's no way I wouldn't go for that, because it really wouldn't be a huge data boost (I don't plan on doing much video watching/music listening, because I have a TV/iPhone for those things, it would just take over net browsing from my iPhone and maybe some games and work/writing stuff, the latter of which don't really involve much data).

Now the only real question I have is, how much space should I think of getting? I don't plan on keeping much on there in the way of music/videos, unless they're videos I record. It would mostly be apps and documents, and I don't think I'd need bigger than the 16 for those. Is there anything else I should think of? Accessory-wise, I know I'd want a case/cover and an Apple wireless keyboard, but again, not really sure what else I'd need.
Main plusses for me with the bigger screen are touch typing and viewing fixed format pages/small text, like PDFs or textbooks (and I guess comics, not much personal experience with those). Main minus vs the mini is the footprint, it's shaved down but still around 50% larger. The weight is down to around 40% heavier, vs double the weight before, it'll be interesting to see how that feels in hand.

I'm still leaning towards the mini cause the footprint, and the retina display will make PDFs at least technically legible from a resolution/detail standpoint, albeit still more difficult cause the size. And part of my plan is eventually getting a retina MacBook, hopefully the 12" rumor comes true next year.

As for space, I'm using a 16GB mini and 32GB older iPad (3rd gen) from before and it's been ok after starting from scratch and just keeping away from excess apps and media I never use/view. I'm still getting 32 next time just cause it's less to worry about with anything, like it's getting to the point where I'm thinking about sizes of downloads more often now.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 24, 2013