Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brock would summon a tornado to catch him in mid-air and safely go back home to Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Big E. in the past six months has went from a featured part of one of the top acts in the company to disappearing from television for months for no discernible reason and being treated like a random midcard dude upon his return.

Big E is part of the second-biggest storyline in the company right now (Heyman) and will probably be picking up the IC title Sunday. Midcard, yeah, but fresh off a face turn and he's solidly in the upper midcard with a good chance of being pressed into the main event in the near future. Also a former NXT champ, whatever that's worth.

quote:

CM Punk defeated Big E Langston. After the match Paul Heyman, along with Curtis Axel and Ryback, walked out and cut a promo on Punk while also dissing Big E. Heyman said that at Hell in a Cell Punk will be facing better competition than who he faced tonight. Punk called Ryback an animal, but at Hell in a Cell he will be a caged animal that will finally be put to sleep. Punk promises to put Heyman and Ryback through hell, but Heyman simply replies that Hell isn't a bad place to be. Axel and Ryback were sent down to brawl with Punk and they had the advantage until Big E turned face and fought them off for Punk.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Big E is part of the second-biggest storyline in the company right now (Heyman) and will probably be picking up the IC title Sunday. Midcard, yeah, but fresh off a face turn and he's solidly in the upper midcard with a good chance of being pressed into the main event in the near future. Also a former NXT champ, whatever that's worth.

Kofi was in the second biggest storyline in the company for awhile too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRafTer posted:

While they have buried Mark Henry, they have pushed him beyond the bounds of rationality several times. If there was a major anti-black sentiment in the company, he would not have gotten so many chances.

I actually don't think there's a major anti-black sentiment at all, just an old white dude who stereotypes everyone and has weird and narrow definitions of what he wants his face stars to be.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Hirams Bitch posted:

Is the void you are speaking of "black guy"?

Well, babyface, dancing black guy with an animal theme. That's a niche that doesn't get filled everyday.

Seriously, though: Koko was just good-natured exuberance and fun. On top of which he was a good worker.

Of course this was at a time where everybody that was a minority or foreigner had a "hard head" gimmick and Piper was running around in blackface over half of his body.

Never ceases to amaze me what flew back then. Also, thanks for the answers!

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 23, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember a Randy Savage vs Koko match on Superstars back in the day that sounded like it could have been fun on paper, but Savage just kind of crushed him flat in about a minute. Oh well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Castomira posted:

I honestly don't know if I can think of a more hilarious way for two men to plunge to their deaths.

Pretty sure there is .gif evidence of Brock being a super saiyan so he would just leave a giant crater and walk/fly away

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I'm watching this Vince Russo shoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_DHYPKdUdM

I can't understand why he is so against Booker T having the belt. I used to watch WCW at this time and I remember Booker being way over.
I won't even watch/listen to any interviews with Russo, because I know that I'll waste literally hours debunking all the bullshit flowing out of his mouth.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Two questions:

Are shoot interviews only performed by guys who are out of work/doing the indy thing? I mean it makes sense, and I doubt any WWE guys would ever be allowed to do them, but are there any shoot interviews by guys who are still in vogue, say like Mick Foley or Goldust?

What is the general opinion on Big Show? Is he still portrayed as a big monster who can't be stopped occasionally or has he settled for lovable (or angry, depending on his turn) giant? I feel he still gets portrayed as "oh poo poo it's the Big Show" even though he's been constantly jobbed out for close to 15 years now and is a fat 40 year old.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He's currently portrayed as a loveable giant who usually takes something like five finishers to drop and can kill anyone with a punch if he gets an opening.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I think Mick Foley did an ROH Straight Shootin' many years ago, plus of course he's been on Observer Radio a half-dozen times or so. Dustin has done shoots with pretty much the usual suspects like RF and Highspots.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

To put it another way, I think the last match Big Show had before being 'fired' was the one versus Bryan, and as strongly as Bryan is usually booked (pretty much better than anyone in a straight fight), that match was played as 'Look at how plucky Bryan is, but Big Show is still going to kill him'. Big Show is generally treated as a force of nature that keeps being derailed by plot shenanigans.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

Two questions:

Are shoot interviews only performed by guys who are out of work/doing the indy thing? I mean it makes sense, and I doubt any WWE guys would ever be allowed to do them, but are there any shoot interviews by guys who are still in vogue, say like Mick Foley or Goldust?

What is the general opinion on Big Show? Is he still portrayed as a big monster who can't be stopped occasionally or has he settled for lovable (or angry, depending on his turn) giant? I feel he still gets portrayed as "oh poo poo it's the Big Show" even though he's been constantly jobbed out for close to 15 years now and is a fat 40 year old.

Pretty much everyone does shoot interviews when they aren't under WWE contract, HBK, Hart, Flair, Foley, Nash and anyone you can think of outside of Hogan, Austin and the Rock have done at least one.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

flashy_mcflash posted:

He's a great worker and absolutely turns it on in the ring when he has to,

Are we thinking about the same guy or what

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tato posted:

A particularly infamous plane ride at the end of a European tour in 2002. To summarize:

-Curt Hennig and Brock Lesnar got into a wrestling match in the aisle of the plane and one of them ended up slamming into the emergency exit door
-Dustin Runnels got piss drunk and started serenading Terri (his ex at that point) over the intercom
-Michael Hayes got piss drunk, passed out, and other wrestlers cut off some of his hair
-Scott Hall was part of no trouble on this trip, mainly because he was passed out on painkillers and whacked out of his gourd.

Numerous people got in trouble or fired because of the behavior on the trip. You can read more about it at http://prowrestling.wikia.com/wiki/The_Plane_Ride_From_Hell

Don't forget Michael Hayes being so intoxicated he nearly pissed on Linda McMahon thinking he was in the plane's bathroom.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Pretty much everyone does shoot interviews when they aren't under WWE contract, HBK, Hart, Flair, Foley, Nash and anyone you can think of outside of Hogan, Austin and the Rock have done at least one.

I wonder why Hogan has never done a shoot interview. He needs money and I'd imagine he could make a good paycheck for one. Of course it would be horrible and you wouldn't be able to believe a word he says in it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I wonder why Hogan has never done a shoot interview. He needs money and I'd imagine he could make a good paycheck for one. Of course it would be horrible and you wouldn't be able to believe a word he says in it.

He probably would be worried about being second guessed. He might also want more money than Highspots or RF can offer.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SamuraiFoochs posted:

In what universe has HHH been doing that since turning heel? He's an rear end in a top hat suit, not a badass when push comes to shove.

His whole character since 2005 has been that of a nearly invincible superman who never loses and always gets the last laugh in promos, and I don't expect that to change when he inevitably gets back in the ring to face whoever's unlucky enough to get over in that company.

As for overestimating himself, he was clearly searching for fan sympathy during the feud with Lesnar and got none, which made me laugh.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

While they have buried Mark Henry, they have pushed him beyond the bounds of rationality several times. If there was a major anti-black sentiment in the company, he would not have gotten so many chances.

Counter-point: Michael Hayes and potential lawsuit.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

MassRafTer posted:

Didn't Henry get signed to a very long term contract for his first contract? Like ten years? Which is about seven years longer than normal.

I don't necessarily see the racism in WWE, definitely not with Henry, but the repeated chances they took on him were maybe due to the contract they were forced to honor.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

His whole character since 2005 has been that of a nearly invincible superman who never loses and always gets the last laugh in promos, and I don't expect that to change when he inevitably gets back in the ring to face whoever's unlucky enough to get over in that company.

As for overestimating himself, he was clearly searching for fan sympathy during the feud with Lesnar and got none, which made me laugh.

What if he faces HBK, though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Counter-point: Michael Hayes and potential lawsuit.

Michael Hayes said stupid poo poo about 5 failed pushes into Mark Henry's run.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CombineThresher posted:

One of the funniest moments in wrestling in the last few years. Dude was probably seething.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
I've been meaning to watch NJPW's G1 CLIMAX 23 thing, but it's a lot of stuff to watch and I don't know where to begin. Any particular days or matches I should be sure to watch? I've already seen a good chunk of day 2 and Shibata vs Ishii, and that's pretty much it.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Seems like if hogan wanted to do a shoot he'd make and sell it himself. Probably will once he feels he has no chance getting back to wwe, brother

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Nick_326 posted:

I've been meaning to watch NJPW's G1 CLIMAX 23 thing, but it's a lot of stuff to watch and I don't know where to begin. Any particular days or matches I should be sure to watch? I've already seen a good chunk of day 2 and Shibata vs Ishii, and that's pretty much it.

2, 4, 7, 8 if memory serves correct. 7 & 8 are last two days yeah? If not then the last two days

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Definitely watch 4 all the way through (the one with Shibata vs Ishii). Fantastic show in front of an incredible crowd.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
speaking of Shoots, I did finally watch Matt Strikers one, the dude is humble as all hell and is still pretty loyal to the WWE inspite of being let go. He just comes across as a very nice person to be around.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Was Randy Savage considered a great technical wrestler? I know CM Punk idolizes him, though I guess when you mark for someone as a kid it doesn't necessarily have to be because they're good. The MMA challenge Punk issued to Chris Brown shortly after he brutalized Rihanna is weird to me in this context, given Savage's notoriety as a wife beater.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Savage was considered by some to be fantastic and others to be incredibly mediocre, mostly because he laid all his matches out ahead of time completely instead of calling it in the ring.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Savage was considered by some to be fantastic and others to be incredibly mediocre, mostly because he laid all his matches out ahead of time completely instead of calling it in the ring.

Please do not forget that Randy stopped the rapture a couple years ago.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Basic Chunnel posted:

Was Randy Savage considered a great technical wrestler? I know CM Punk idolizes him, though I guess when you mark for someone as a kid it doesn't necessarily have to be because they're good. The MMA challenge Punk issued to Chris Brown shortly after he brutalized Rihanna is weird to me in this context, given Savage's notoriety as a wife beater.

So Punk appreciates Savage for his wrestling abilities, but not for his spousal abuse? I'm not really sure why that's weird.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

Savage was typically considered a great wrestler at his peak (if you ignore criticism of his preference to plan matches out in detail in advance). The late 80s WWF style didn't lend itself to getting a lot of stars from Meltzer's ratings, but Savage still managed to drag ***+ matches out of the likes of Jim Neidhart, Honky Tonk Man, Brutus Beefcake and Jim Duggan. He also had one of the most successful and memorable personas to ever exist in wrestling, in my opinion.

And it's pretty easy to separate someone's professional production from the awfulness of their personal life.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Was the ultimate warrior ever a heel? Coz I think he was a face in his entire WWF and WCW runs.

The same goes for Ted Dibiase. Was he ever a face? Coz I know he was a top heel pre-WWF. And I can't ever remember him being a face. (Him coming back as Ted jr.'s dad, and nostalgia pops don't count)

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

Michael Hayes said stupid poo poo about 5 failed pushes into Mark Henry's run.

But Henry was only pushed as a serious main-eventer beginning in 2006, which was after the most egregious Michael Hayes episode.

Yeah, he was given numerous minor pushes beforehand, but I don't think bearhugging Jerry Lawler, impregnating Mae Young, or being built up as Goldberg fodder of the week compares to being instantly being shot into a Royal Rumble main event title match against Kurt Angle.

Also, I think Warrior was a heel when he debuted as "Dingo Warrior", and as for DiBiase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iptcmECk-f8

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 24, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did Big Dave ever release a Tributes 3 book (I own 1 and 2) and did he do a obit of Benoit?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Bigass Moth posted:

Did Big Dave ever release a Tributes 3 book (I own 1 and 2) and did he do a obit of Benoit?

No Tributes 3. I have no idea if he did a Benoit obituary, however.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

But Henry was only pushed as a serious main-eventer beginning in 2006, which was after the most egregious Michael Hayes episode.

Yeah, he was given numerous minor pushes beforehand, but I don't think bearhugging Jerry Lawler, impregnating Mae Young, or being built up as Goldberg fodder of the week compares to being instantly being shot into a Royal Rumble main event title match against Kurt Angle.

He was also really bad before then and I don't think became worthy of a push until his ECW run or maybe even his post-MarkVP Hall of Pain heel turn (he is now the best, obviously).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Don't forget Michael Hayes being so intoxicated he nearly pissed on Linda McMahon thinking he was in the plane's bathroom.
And Ric Flair trotting around with his dick hanging out of his robe.

Rodney the Piper posted:

Savage was typically considered a great wrestler at his peak (if you ignore criticism of his preference to plan matches out in detail in advance). The late 80s WWF style didn't lend itself to getting a lot of stars from Meltzer's ratings, but Savage still managed to drag ***+ matches out of the likes of Jim Neidhart, Honky Tonk Man, Brutus Beefcake and Jim Duggan. He also had one of the most successful and memorable personas to ever exist in wrestling, in my opinion.
This, plus it's stupid to ding a guy for achieving great matches by planning when his fellow workers have gone on record saying that his way of doing things made it easy on them and gave them some of their best matches of all time. It's not a straight-across comparison to DDP, who probably needed the planning because he started wrestling older and at a higher level, and who got some complaints from his colleagues because of it.

quote:

And it's pretty easy to separate someone's professional production from the awfulness of their personal life.
In terms of his wrestling ability, definitely. In terms of his persona, not so in Randy's case--you're probably not going to hear Punk acknowledge Randy's personal failings because he and Elizabeth were an onscreen couple, and there are some really uncomfortable questions regarding what other people in the company knew about but ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is there a well-written compilation of all the stories from that plane ride?

There must be a few shoot interviews, recollections, and second-hand interviews that a good writer summarized.