Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dastardly posted:

Pretty funny that Abra's and Bisharp's gladly sex it up but god forbid a Swinub and Piloswine hooking up.
Yeah, egg groups are fuckin' weird, but that just means you can pretend like your Pokemon are in the middle of a whirlwind telenovela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
Why do some passerby take on the appearance of Gym leaders? Also, where's the preferred place for grinding. I've got a pupitar I want to turn into GODZILLA

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

noirstronaut posted:

I think this is something that I'm just having a difficult time coming to grips with. I honestly grew up and lived my life thinking Blastoise was the pinnacle of water-type Pokemon.

I played netbattle a LOT back in Gen 3. I learned Blastoise wasn't very good, much to my own shock, through learning about every single Pokemon and what tier's they were in. He had very few good moves, mediocre abilities, average stats, and so on.

Then I picked Squirtle last week because I seemed to remember him being a really awesome and tanky, and those cannons are just so god drat cool. Nostalgia is too powerful :3:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Big Whoop posted:

Why do some passerby take on the appearance of Gym leaders? Also, where's the preferred place for grinding. I've got a pupitar I want to turn into GODZILLA

There's a button in the PSS thing that brings up all the options like GTS, Wonder trade. The next page has a Profile tab. You can actually change your profile picture, it doesn't need to look like what you're wearing.

That said now that I have the Pancham hat wearing high style only sunglasses and the high style only boys perm I want the world to know how fabulous I am

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Wait a second could you always have spikes and stealth rock out at the same time? A forretress in the battle tower just doubled them up and it hurt me twice.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Wait a second could you always have spikes and stealth rock out at the same time? A forretress in the battle tower just doubled them up and it hurt me twice.

Yes. You can also have Toxic Spikes out with both.

This was core to a lot of stall in Gen IV, not so much in V. Laying down multiple layers of spikes and Stealth Rocks and continuous roaring after T-Tar or Hippowdon set up Sandstorm.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zore posted:

Yes. You can also have Toxic Spikes out with both.

This is commonly called the "I am an rear end in a top hat" strat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LAY-ZX posted:

This is commonly called the "I am an rear end in a top hat" strat.

I like to call it "gently caress you Volcarona"

75% damage on the switch and toxic poison. I think Bug/Fire is the only type combo that gets nailed that badly by them right now, though a theoretical Bug/Ice or Fire/Ice would also be screwed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Boomstick Quaid posted:

You can have 3 layers of spikes, stealth rock, 2 layers of toxic spikes, and now Sticky Web all up at the same time yes. Rapid Spin gets rid of all of them at once, otherwise you take like 50% damage and get poisoned and slowed on every guy you send out.

Flying types are only hit by Stealth Rock, but because they're weak to rock it does a full 1/4th of their HP. If you have something like Charizard which is Fire/Flying (both weak to rock), he loses 50% of MAX HP every time he switches in. This is why Stealth Rock is so strong.

Toxic Spikes are "absorbed" if you send out a poison type.

Levitating pokemon only get hit by the rocks.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

The Big Whoop posted:

I always thought those just were the gym leaders inserted in for flavor, but maybe I'm wrong. As far as grinding, a friend safari with Audino is a good option, but consistently the best for me has been grinding the elite four with an Amulet Coined Mewtwo and 5 stragglers leeching the XP.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Lhet posted:

I always thought those just were the gym leaders inserted in for flavor, but maybe I'm wrong. As far as grinding, a friend safari with Audino is a good option, but consistently the best for me has been grinding the elite four with an Amulet Coined Mewtwo and 5 stragglers leeching the XP.

you can change what icon you show up as in the PSS profile options

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What was the thing to look for when there's an egg? When the dude is facing the road?

e: And a Destiny Knot transfers the same five IVs down to the baby?

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 24, 2013

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just found a shiny Chingling while searching for a Dedenne! Too bad I hate Chingling and Chimecho and it has the absolute worst nature!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, egg groups are fuckin' weird, but that just means you can pretend like your Pokemon are in the middle of a whirlwind telenovela.

I imagine something extremely melodramatic happens to justify Gardevior mating with a pile of gas or goo instead of any humanoids.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Geostomp posted:

I imagine something extremely melodramatic happens to justify Gardevior mating with a pile of gas or goo instead of any humanoids.

They say if you try to peek under its dress, your soul is forfeit.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

What was the thing to look for when there's an egg? When the dude is facing the road?

e: And a Destiny Knot transfers the same five IVs down to the baby?

Yeah, when he's facing the road. And not the same five--a random five from between the two parents.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Yeah, when he's facing the road. And not the same five--a random five from between the two parents.

Ah. So it's a toss up between which of the five out of ten?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Ah. So it's a toss up between which of the five out of ten?

Six stats each. 12 IVs total.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think that's how breeding normally works, but with a destiny knot it makes sure the IVs come from that parent no?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think that's how breeding normally works, but with a destiny knot it makes sure the IVs come from that parent no?

No, normally its three derived randomly from the parents and the other three random. With Destiny Knots it makes five derived from the parents and one completely random.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zore posted:

No, normally its three derived randomly from the parents and the other three random. With Destiny Knots it makes five derived from the parents and one completely random.

Aw there goes my fantasy of getting a perfect IV ditto and making perfect clones of everything I own

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A perfect IV ditto still helps a lot, though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a little sad because I started taking breeding seriously in Gen V and managed to make some Jolly Gibles with perfect Speed and Attack. But with Friend Safari and Destiny Knot and the new breeding mechanics, by the time I can bring them over in December they'll basically be worthless compared to everything with 5 or 6 perfect stats.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I got a lvl 17 Alakzam named Tom Green from Wonder Trade and I kinda just... I dunno. I don't like how I feel right now.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Countblanc posted:

People don't actually hate Stealth Rocks, it's just that it seems really bad because it makes Charizard worse (he'd still be awful pre-gen 6 even if it weren't for SR) and people loving love Charizard. SR is, if anything, a positive force on the meta since it speeds the game up without completely destroying stall tactics, checks bulky dragons, provides another hazard for stall teams to stack, and plenty of other things.

The problem with stealth rock is that there's no stealth ice and stealth steel or whatever to 'spread out the pain'. So it's just if you're weak to rock, you're not playable.

If there were various types and they canceled each other out it'd be much less terrible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Keiya posted:

The problem with stealth rock is that there's no stealth ice and stealth steel or whatever to 'spread out the pain'. So it's just if you're weak to rock, you're not playable.

If there were various types and they canceled each other out it'd be much less terrible.

I'd be satisfied if the hazards weren't permanent. If they disappeared after X-turns/switches or they went the Toxic Spikes route and let certain types absorb them, they'd be less dominate.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Is it just me, or is Mega Evolution stupidly overpowered? Like, why does it cost nothing to trigger, and why wouldn't I use it when it means I'm one-shotting every trainer battle now?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Max22 posted:

Is it just me, or is Mega Evolution stupidly overpowered? Like, why does it cost nothing to trigger, and why wouldn't I use it when it means I'm one-shotting every trainer battle now?

Its really not that overpowered... assuming you're fighting postgame stuff or other people. Megastones have enough drawbacks over regular hold items, like Life Orbs, Choice Items, Leftovers, that they're really not that bad to play against.

Against the in game trainers though they're pretty good. Though, honestly, half the pokemon you can catch before the first gym can snap the game over their knee and most of the rest can almost do the same. It takes using really bad pokemon to make the game challenging.

Also the EXP share is by far the bigger offender in this game. That is basically the easy mode switch for the game and trivializes it unless you're constantly switching a roster of 18 or so pokemon in and out. At minimum it triples the amount of EXP the game is giving you, for free, and levels mean almost everything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'm still 700 posts behind, but can someone explain why Subsitute is a good move? Right now it just seems like a Protect that costs a fourth of your life.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Max22 posted:

The game is easy thanks to exp share accidentally turning everything you own into an overpowered monster mostly. Also they give out a free Mega Blaziken which is already really strong, and then it gets the EXP bonus from being traded. XY is way easier than BW was.

Postgame stuff like the battle tower or player vs. player battles bring your level down to 50 with everyone else so you don't feel it as much.

Mega evolution isn't that broken because a lot of pokemon can already kill things in a hit with other items, it's just you won't see them in a normal playthrough usually. Choice Band makes the user hit REALLY hard but be unable to swap moves, and it's not unusual to see a choice band user kill 2 or 3 things in a row without getting hit back. Life Orb makes all of your moves do 30% more damage but you take a bit of extra recoil, and that 30% boost is already more than a lot of the mega evos get. Mega Evos can only be used on one team member and a lot of them aren't any better than equipping some of the better items.

TalonDemonKing posted:

I'm still 700 posts behind, but can someone explain why Subsitute is a good move? Right now it just seems like a Protect that costs a fourth of your life.

It blocks statuses for free and stays up. So if you substitute and they use Toxic, they just wasted a turn. Now even if they attack you next turn they're wasting another turn just to kill your sub.

Let's say you swap in Gengar. You switch him in do Substitute. The other user switches to a counter for Gengar. The counter could have killed Gengar in one hit, but since there's a sub you set up on your safe turn he'll have to hit him twice. Gengar is really fast and hits really hard so he can kill a lot of things in 2 turns before they get through to him.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 24, 2013

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Aw there goes my fantasy of getting a perfect IV ditto and making perfect clones of everything I own

Now if you can get two perfect IV Ditto...

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I need some guidance with breeding at the moment.

I'm trying to breed a perfect Scyther, and the best I can consistently do is HP / Attack / Defence / SpA / Speed. I'm trying to get HP / A / D / SpD / Speed. One of my breeding pairs, female, has HP / Attack / Defence / SpA / Speed, but the males with SpD often miss other stats like attack or HP, and also have SpA.

What do I do? Hope to get lucky?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Prior to X and Y, Substitute basically gave you some room for error. It's not effective if you're attacked on the same turn you put up a Substitute, but if you use it when your opponent switches out, which people try to bait them to do by sending in a Pokemon that horribly crushes the one they're currently using, you basically get a free turn to do whatever you want without any worry, like using a status or setup move or whatever. Or it gives you a free turn to take down the Pokemon they sent in to crush yours. Of course now that Infiltrator and sound moves can bypass it, you'll have to be a bit more careful with it.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 24, 2013

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I breed my first perfect mon and I get all the tools and viruses ready to EV train the bugger to find out it is raining in all of the places there are to train! Agh!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

So I breed my first perfect mon and I get all the tools and viruses ready to EV train the bugger to find out it is raining in all of the places there are to train! Agh!

Just do super training and buy some vitamins. It'll take twenty minutes, half hour.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

So thanks to grinding that 3 star restaurant for exp I'm also now a poke millionaire. Is there anything I should be spending my riches on? I think I went to every pokecenter and bought all the TMs and I've got all the clothes I could ever need at this point.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Has anyone figured out why the playtime counter is glitched?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Max22 posted:

Has anyone figured out why the playtime counter is glitched?

If I had to guess, the 3DS counts the time you had the game on but the system closed, but the game doesn't.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

LAY-ZX posted:

If I had to guess, the 3DS counts the time you had the game on but the system closed, but the game doesn't.

Nah, I leave it StreetPassing in my backpack all day, so it would be up a few dozen hours if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, my initial Bulbasaur was female. :toot:

I immediately made a beeline for the daycare, and pumped out enough babies that both it and the Oddish had it breed with are now Level 25. Through a combination of Wonder Trade and GTS, I am now in possession of the following:

Brazilian Ditto
Japanese Tyrunt
American Squirtle named Pre-Soup
American Charmander
American Fennekin
American, Timid Froakie

I think I did pretty good for only having one badge. :getin:

• Locked thread