Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irisi posted:

Folk getting their knickers in a twist about Ruby and insinuating she's only got to the final by fluttering her eyelashes at Hollywood (conveniently ignoring the fact that Mary Berrys' opinions have equal weight in the judging). This explains it pretty well: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2013/oct/20/great-british-bake-off-ruby-tandoh

She's too whiny/negative/manipulative/pretty/annoying/flirty, according to The Internet. The comments section on the article itself is pretty hair-raising too.

Poor lass; she's just got terrible low self-esteem, that's all.

That seems unfair I think she's good enough to be in the final, just not win it - unless they ignore previous weeks and she plays a blinder tonight.

But I do find her attitude extremely annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Has anyone got James' book from GBBO 2012. I fancy getting a book on baking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't really see the point when all the recipes are available online one way or another. I suppose it might be a nice thing to flick through for inspiration.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

That seems unfair I think she's good enough to be in the final, just not win it - unless they ignore previous weeks and she plays a blinder tonight.

But I do find her attitude extremely annoying.

The only thing about her that bugs the poo poo out of me is she is so messy! She looks like a toddler when she finishes cooking, covered from head to toe in raw cake mix and flour. Don't get me started on the state of her work top!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

I don't really see the point when all the recipes are available online one way or another. I suppose it might be a nice thing to flick through for inspiration.

Id just like a book on baking I dont take a laptop into the kitchen when Im baking

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taff posted:

Id just like a book on baking I dont take a laptop into the kitchen when Im baking

You should get an iPad they're really handy for that sort of thing.

Though, tbf, you should probably leave off the baked goods full stop.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taking your Kindle or iPad into the kitchen isn't a very good idea either. My mam broke hers with hot caramel syrup (you can peel boiling sugar off books once its' cooled down enough, but it will utterly kill a Kindle screen)

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Sheer madness no doubt but I reckon from that shot of them waiting to find out, Frances has done it!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
My mam's got one of these for her iPad and it works a treat. A clear plastic bag would probably work too

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is it just me or whenever you watch anything on 4 or demand at the moment you get the same loving advert 2-3 times in a row? I hate the halifax bank enough already with being reminded of it.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Someody needs to tell Kimberley that calling her bake "Pig Pie" and colouring her pastry green does not make it sound or look particularly yummy.

Also, that poor Ruby lass is actively self-sabotaging tonight. She made the most beautiful pie and but is still wailing pitiful distress in the bemused judges faces.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I may have missed fancying-sue-chat, but yeeep. Since Supersizers.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Pleased with the winner tbh

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Team Frances for the epic win. Suck it Pissflaps.

Love the bake off

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Less contentious than last year at least.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Fazana posted:

Sheer madness no doubt but I reckon from that shot of them waiting to find out, Frances has done it!

Team Frances :toot:

It was pretty clear as soon as the six (!) hours were up, the presentation on the other two were so far behind it would have needed the insides of her creation to taste like pissflaps suggested earlier this afternoon for her not to win.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bless her ickle heart, she looked so surprised and pleased. I'm surprised and pleased too, both the judges were very hard on her, all the way through the series.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Kimberly really let herself down there. Can't argue with the result of that.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pissflaps posted:

Kimberly really let herself down there. Can't argue with the result of that.

I felt so bad for Ruby when she was sobbing because of her lovely wedding cake, she was doing so well up to that point :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
well poo poo, the final series of Misfits starts tonight. That seemed to have been kept quiet....

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Smiley Face posted:

I felt so bad for Ruby when she was sobbing because of her lovely wedding cake, she was doing so well up to that point :(

I didn't feel bad for her. Hers and Kim's efforts were appalling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rondette posted:

well poo poo, the final series of Misfits starts tonight. That seemed to have been kept quiet....

Are any of the original characters still in it? I stopped watching during season 3 I think

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Pissflaps posted:

They weren't well finished but they did look tasty, especially Kimberly's. A wedding cake is the perfect medium for a style over substance baker to excel in (though Francis' did look like it was tasty too). Going in I was expecting Kimberly to win with Francis a close second, but after the wet pig pie and the lumpy pretzels she was really coming from behind, and I think the judges made a good call.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Fatkraken posted:

They weren't well finished but they did look tasty, especially Kimberly's. A wedding cake is the perfect medium for a style over substance baker to excel in (though Francis' did look like it was tasty too). Going in I was expecting Kimberly to win with Francis a close second, but after the wet pig pie and the lumpy pretzels she was really coming from behind, and I think the judges made a good call.

That's the thing: they didn't look tasty. They looked amateurish and poo poo.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I don't think either Kimberly's or Ruby's cake was good enough to win in an earlier round, let alone the show stopper round of the final. And I can totally see Francis opening a cake decorating business on the back of this.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
My girlfriend thought Rubys wedding cake was dogshit and kept saying she could have done better myself. Her constant whining and crying wound her up no end too.

It was a bit of a shocker for a showstopper in the final. Kimberley using a press with the word love sounded good, but when she did it she ended up going all skewiff and over the place.

If I was on the production team I would have scrapped it and come up with a new final challenge as all 3 cakes were a bit iffy

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That stamp just made her cake look grubby. Like old newspaper.

Ruby's whining and crying wound up my wife good and proper too - and we've not been paying any attention to newspaper/twitter criticism.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Taff posted:

My girlfriend thought Rubys wedding cake was dogshit and kept saying she could have done better myself. Her constant whining and crying wound her up no end too.

It was a bit of a shocker for a showstopper in the final. Kimberley using a press with the word love sounded good, but when she did it she ended up going all skewiff and over the place.

If I was on the production team I would have scrapped it and come up with a new final challenge as all 3 cakes were a bit iffy

Totally agree, I thought all 3 cakes were pretty poo poo. Although at least Kimberly's seemed like it would be pretty delicious, and the checkerboarding was cool. The right cake-baking lady won though.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pissflaps posted:

That's true, both of those cakes belonged in the bin IMO

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Well I enjoyed the Ambassadors, especially Robert Webb.

It is kind of nice to see them in something that isn't silly sketches.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Smiley Face posted:

That's true, both of those cakes belonged in the bin IMO

Mods! Wait...

Will have to check out that Ambassadors thing, sounds pretty good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Geokinesis posted:

It is kind of nice to see them in something that isn't silly sketches.

Have you heard of a thing called Peep Show

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
I thought Misfits was pretty great, with some hilarious lines, though rape being the solution to the problem of the week made me seriously uncomfortable even if it was played for laughs.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Yeah I've been told Ambassadors was alright so I'm watching it tonight. Did they write it?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Magic Mango posted:

I thought Misfits was pretty great, with some hilarious lines, though rape being the solution to the problem of the week made me seriously uncomfortable even if it was played for laughs.

Uhhh loving hell, I thought you must be exaggerating but I just read the episode guide on wikipedia:

Following the conclusion of Season 4, Barman Alex recovers in hospital after a lung transplant. Alex is confronted by a woman who informs him that, as his new lung comes from a super powered individual, he now has the ability to remove the powers of others through sexual intercourse. The woman wishes for Alex to have sex with her, as the storm has made her unnaturally accident prone. Finn is attacked by a group of scouts who turn out to be agents of Satan and, after killing the scout leader the next day, he himself is possessed. Finn manages to possess Abbey, both Rudys and finally Jess. Alex manages to knock out Finn and then engages in anal sex with him, his new power removing the Satanic presence from Finn and the others.

:stare:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I think that's the worst plot device I've ever seen on scripted tv. What the hell :gonk:

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Also the episode established it had to be unprotected sex.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everyone needs to shut the hell up and appreciate that last night's Misfits involved a Satanist Scout troupe :stare:

e: And then that happened :gonk:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 24, 2013

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Rarity posted:

Everyone needs to shut the hell up and appreciate that last night's Misfits involved a Satanist Scout troupe :stare:

And a woman who can knit the future, which seems like a rather delayed take on Heroes' Isaac, complete with the same special effect for the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

thehustler posted:

Yeah I've been told Ambassadors was alright so I'm watching it tonight. Did they write it?

I don't think they wrote it, no. It's worth a watch, but it isn't very funny.