Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tomn posted:

Wait, what? Do you have a link?

If he's talking about the tests I think he's talking about, the guy testing was fighting his own rebels to test - and your own rebels use your own stats so it appeared all the stats he was changing made no difference. I don't really follow the EUIV forum though, so perhaps he means another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ArchangeI posted:

Judging by the screenshot, it was for the better. I can't even begin to imagine trying to play HoI3 with a controller.

Press the shoulder buttons to scroll through the different tabs, press A to set them to AI control. Analog stick points to a province, X sets it as a Theater-AI objective and you should be good to go!

Seriously though, the Steam Controller made such a good show of controlling Civ 5 that I can't wait to try it with EU4 or Victoria 2.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

I certain was completely taken by surprise that a console version of Hearts of Iron exists. The interface doesn't seem to be very optimized for console play to say the least.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

A_Spec posted:

I certain was completely taken by surprise that a console version of Hearts of Iron exists. The interface doesn't seem to be very optimized for console play to say the least.

A DS version of EU2 existed but was cancelled at some point.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

DStecks posted:

That's basically what I mean. I understand that bastard dynasties are a thing in the game, but is there any way for branches to split off into their own dynasties?

No, there is no way to create cadet branches, but to be fair that's not really what happened to the Karlings anyway. The whole dynasty was really, really bad at having kids, especially sons. By 1066 (i.e. the original start date for CK2), the only male-line descendent of Charles Martel still alive was the Count of Vermandois. His male line died out shortly thereafter.

Basically everyone ended up being descended from Charlemagne anyway, but it was all through women at some point, which in CK2 terms means that they're not part of the dynasty (matrilineal marriages excepted). For example, the Capets were descended in the male line from the Robertians, a different Frankish noble family. Robert I of France, however, married Beatrice of Vermandois, who was a Karling, and thus all the later Capetian kings were also descendants of Charlemagne and Charles Martel.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Viscardus posted:

No, there is no way to create cadet branches, but to be fair that's not really what happened to the Karlings anyway. The whole dynasty was really, really bad at having kids, especially sons. By 1066 (i.e. the original start date for CK2), the only male-line descendent of Charles Martel still alive was the Count of Vermandois. His male line died out shortly thereafter.

Basically everyone ended up being descended from Charlemagne anyway, but it was all through women at some point, which in CK2 terms means that they're not part of the dynasty (matrilineal marriages excepted). For example, the Capets were descended in the male line from the Robertians, a different Frankish noble family. Robert I of France, however, married Beatrice of Vermandois, who was a Karling, and thus all the later Capetian kings were also descendants of Charlemagne and Charles Martel.

So what you're saying is that we need a mod that radically drops Karling fertility?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Viscardus posted:

It would be interesting if there was a possible event for a cadet branch being created if somebody is, say, a different culture than their dynasty's founder, and attains a title of duke level or higher. It would probably need to have more checks than that, but cadet branches seem to be a pretty major omission from the dynasty system.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

DStecks posted:

It would be interesting if there was a possible event for a cadet branch being created if somebody is, say, a different culture than their dynasty's founder, and attains a title of duke level or higher. It would probably need to have more checks than that, but cadet branches seem to be a pretty major omission from the dynasty system.

Unfortunately, cadet branches create some problems with the way dynasties work in CK2. Take a prominent cadet branch that exists in the 1066 start, the de Bourgognes. If Philip I of France and his brother both die without sons, France will go to their uncle Robert de Bourgogne or his descendents. That's a game over if you're a player, which is a bit silly. Ideally you could have a secondary cadet dynasty in addition to your main dynasty.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darkrenown posted:

If he's talking about the tests I think he's talking about, the guy testing was fighting his own rebels to test - and your own rebels use your own stats so it appeared all the stats he was changing made no difference. I don't really follow the EUIV forum though, so perhaps he means another one.

Having trouble finding the link again, but that could be it. I remember it was a guy spawning halberdiers in Mali, if that helps?

e: found it. Looks like it's confusing design, rather than a bug per se... which kind of ends up supporting my original point?

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 22, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

PleasingFungus posted:

Having trouble finding the link again, but that could be it. I remember it was a guy spawning halberdiers in Mali, if that helps?
e: found it. Looks like it's confusing design, rather than a bug per se... which kind of ends up supporting my original point?

The problem with the current system, if I've understood it right, is that the damage multiplier never changes when you're fighting equal tech armies, but tactics/defense increases, and that's why late game battles take forever. This may also render combat ability bonuses useless, but I don't know if that's confirmed. Combat is supposed to be redesigned for 1.3, so hopefully that includes some deobfuscation.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

In Darkest Hour, how do I stop the AI from bullshit annexing stuff? I'm playing Kaiserreich as Mongolia and trying to take Shaingquing Tenguo or whatever that nation between Mongolia and Qing is called. Qing declared war on them separately after I won several battles and as soon as I take the single victory point province, Qing annexes them without having done poo poo in the war.

Qing has events that allow it to unite most of China peacefully.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I am shocked that no one has yet noted the new Crusader Kings 2 DLC: JEWISH RAMPAGE

(looks like it'll be fun even without the inevitable Kingdom of Judea imports into Vicky 2 to whip the Prussians)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 23, 2013

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Paradox loves putting in Papal controller mechanics in their games, but is there a historical basis for this? I know during the EUIV era France and Spain had considerable influence over the Pope, but could they impel his holiness condemn say, the king of Brittany and make his peasants more likely to revolt and reduce his tax revenue? The Pope could and did excommunicate rulers but after the Reformation it seems this lost a lot of its threat.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Contingency Plan posted:

Paradox loves putting in Papal controller mechanics in their games, but is there a historical basis for this? I know during the EUIV era France and Spain had considerable influence over the Pope, but could they impel his holiness condemn say, the king of Brittany and make his peasants more likely to revolt and reduce his tax revenue? The Pope could and did excommunicate rulers but after the Reformation it seems this lost a lot of its threat.

Frankly, with the way things work at the moment, nobody can compel the pope to excommunicate anyone anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Any idea how well the updated 13" MacBook Pro might run EUIV and near-future Paradox titles? I currently play mostly on a 2012 MacBook Air which is just fast enough to make EUIV playable, though it bogs down late-game. The Air has a processor slower than the the system requirements and HD 4000 graphics with shared memory, but the Pro I was looking at is the midrange 13" model, with a 2.6 GHz Haswell processor, SSD, and vaguely-described "Iris" graphics. Here's some numbers I guess? Probably the processor and disk are the big bottlenecks, I'm inclined to go for it.

A_Spec
Nov 2, 2012

Intel Onboard graphics are notoriously bad for doing anything but draining your batteries, though I haven't had time to evaluate the new Haswell cores. Let me run that by QA.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Viscardus posted:

By that criterion, half the posters in this thread are probably Karlings.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Probably the best posters in the thread.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phlegmish posted:

Goons do have trouble reproducing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Phlegmish posted:

Way more than half, Viscardus isn't kidding about basically everyone being descended from Charlemagne, if you are European or have a European anywhere in your family ancestry in the last 200 years, you will almost certainly be descended from Charlemagne in some tenuous sense.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Reveilled posted:

Way more than half, Viscardus isn't kidding about basically everyone being descended from Charlemagne, if you are European or have a European anywhere in your family ancestry in the last 200 years, you will almost certainly be descended from Charlemagne in some tenuous sense.

So basically, we are all Karling-Genghis bastards?

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, this. Distant ancestry is one of those areas where the human mind is not really equipped to understand things intuitively. If you go 40 generations back (which is probably on the low side of what you'd need to get back to Charlemagne), you have over one trillion ancestors at that generation alone. Obviously those are not all different people, but it gives you some idea of how many ancestors everyone has.

If you go back far enough in history, you get to the point where any given person is either the ancestor of everyone or the ancestor of no one (geographical isolation aside). This is why, for example, the "twist" at the end of The Da Vinci Code is so stupid - if Jesus does have any living descendants, then he would be the ancestor of almost everyone in the world. We know this is true of Muhammad, for instance, and he lived hundreds of years more recently.

Disco Infiva posted:

So basically, we are all Karling-Genghis bastards?

Yes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Wasn't there an episode of QI where a question was "who here is descended from Charlemagne" and the answer was "everyone"?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Reveilled posted:

Brb pressing claim to throne of France Italy and Germany

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A_Spec posted:

Intel Onboard graphics are notoriously bad for doing anything but draining your batteries, though I haven't had time to evaluate the new Haswell cores. Let me run that by QA.

Intel's integrated graphics have been more than fine for paradox games since Ivybridge and possibly before. The ones in the macbook air will handle paradox games very very easily.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Wasn't there an episode of QI where a question was "who here is descended from Charlemagne" and the answer was "everyone"?

Yup.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Omelette du Fromage posted:

Intel's integrated graphics have been more than fine for paradox games since Ivybridge and possibly before. The ones in the macbook air will handle paradox games very very easily.

Yeah the HD 4000 chip in particular is powerful enough to compete with the GPU in the AMD A6 CPUs. Any laptop from the last 2 years or so should be solid for Paradox games in the GPU department, I'd be more worried about the game being a CPU hog, especially late game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DrProsek posted:

Yeah the HD 4000 chip in particular is powerful enough to compete with the GPU in the AMD A6 CPUs. Any laptop from the last 2 years or so should be solid for Paradox games in the GPU department, I'd be more worried about the game being a CPU hog, especially late game.

I have Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics on my laptop, and due to some dumbness with nVidia drivers, I once played CK 2 with my integrated card unknowingly :v: . It ran OK, but a little choppy (don't go in terrain mode at highest speed and it will be fine).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Paradox is doing AMA over at reddit. Most important part:

quote:

Svea Rike is not forgotten, that's all I have to say right now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kainser posted:

Nope most important part is to expect EU:Rome 2, Vicky 3, and HoI4 before 2020

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Rumda posted:

Nope most important part is to expect EU:Rome 2, Vicky 3, and HoI4 before 2020

And CKIII after 2020. :v:

(Too long... too long...)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Viscardus posted:

We know this is true of Muhammad, for instance, and he lived hundreds of years more recently.

Absolutely (barring perhaps some near-genetic isolate groups in New Guinea or the Amazon or such). There's a reason why you need to be a male-line descendant of one of Muhammad's two grandsons (Hassan and Hussein) to be a true Sharif or Sayyid...if they didn't just count male-line descendants, pretty much everyone would be one. Queen Elizabeth II, for example, can trace her ancestry right back to Muhammad, but obviously there are some women in the mix so she's not a male-line descendant.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

And CKIII after 2020. :v:

(Too long... too long...)

What's wrong with CKII that we need a new one?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

What's wrong with CKII that we need a new one?

Nothing! But if CKIII is as much of an improvement over II as II was over I... well, I'd rather play III. :p

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fintilgin posted:

Nothing! But if CKIII is as much of an improvement over II as II was over I... well, I'd rather play III. :p

What if CKIII is as much of an improvement over II as HOI3 was over HOI2? :v:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Kainser posted:

Also apparently Johan has 500+ days /played in World of Warcraft. I guess raiding is in their blood.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PleasingFungus posted:

What if CKIII is as much of an improvement over II as HOI3 was over HOI2? :v:

Now you've jinxed it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Patter Song posted:

Queen Elizabeth II, for example, can trace her ancestry right back to Muhammad, but obviously there are some women in the mix so she's not a male-line descendant.

Can you talk some more about this? I feel it would be an awesome thing to be able to throw out in 'drat islamics are ruining our country' discussion

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kersch posted:

Also apparently Johan has 500+ days /played in World of Warcraft. I guess raiding is in their blood.

Terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Buttery Pastry posted:

making Sweden proper the functional island it was during the EU4 period

Re this, should I be putting an impassable boundary between Osterbotten and Vasterbotten?

That would mean the only way to get into Sweden from the east without getting on a transport ship would be across the Aland straits.

EDIT: Gameplay-wise, I'm not sure Sweden needs it. The Scands always seem to have Russia whipped.

Though, that may not hold once I'm done rebalancing manpower and such.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2013

• Locked thread