Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Zaphod42 posted:

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them. I love beat em ups, but most are NOT what you described remotely. There's no strategy.

Most beat em ups are move right, mash buttons to kill dudes, try not to get ganged up on. That's it. Lots of them only have a single move other than punch for combat depth; a move which does more damage but hurts you, so is entirely worthless. Even my all time favorite beat em ups like TMNT IV: Turtles in Time do that. Some of them let you pick up lots of items to beat people with, but that's as close to variety as you can get. Oh, and in addition to your normal punch, there's a jump kick. Whooo. Later Streets of Rage games added like a Street Fighter dragon uppercut, but that was the single combo you could do. Most don't even have that much.

How you describe is how they should work, but very few do in practice. I'd love to play more that work that way if you know some.

someone never played Violent Storm or Armored Warriors, which are arguably the two best beat-em-ups from that time period. Infact, it's a good idea to play both of these atleast once, as there is more depth to them than nearly the whole genre's combined efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them.

You need to play this now. And then graduate to the Dungeons & Dragons brawlers (on Steam), and then to Guardian Heroes on XBLA. You're missing out.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oenis posted:

A lot of popular MP3 player brands support the custom firmware Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/), which also runs Doom. I have a Sansa Sandisk something with a barebones 2-colour display, and have run Doom on that, albeit badly. It's fun for the novelty, though.

Fake edit: there's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVV_0xKmhw
I have a Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip and I have tried Doom on it and an older Sansa Clip (the 2 colour display one). The Zip is full colour so it looks good, whereas on the old Clip it's kind of hard to tell what's what.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Colon Semicolon posted:

someone never played Violent Storm or Armored Warriors, which are arguably the two best beat-em-ups from that time period. Infact, it's a good idea to play both of these atleast once, as there is more depth to them than nearly the whole genre's combined efforts.

Nope, haven't played either of those. Thanks, they're on the list now.

Dominic White posted:

You need to play this now. And then graduate to the Dungeons & Dragons brawlers (on Steam), and then to Guardian Heroes on XBLA. You're missing out.

I've played Shadows of Mystarra and the other D&D one, they're okay but each character only gets a couple moves, and even for all the cool D&D style level up and inventory mechanics, you really don't have many more tactical options. Levelling is a passive upgrade that just makes you all-around better, and happens naturally over time. A few items are useful, but that's it. Class variety is cool though, gives it replayability, but during a single run through you don't have many more options than you would in like a Turtles game. Beat guys, and try not to get hit, but you can't really control that so well. Gimme some dodge moves! Gimme some combos! Magic is cool, but Golden Axe had that way back in the day, its just a special "bomb". That is at least something tactical though, you can save them for when you really need them.

Guardian Heroes is like the one major exception, I meant to say that in my last post and forgot. But I didn't own a Dreamcast. Cool its on XBLA though, that game rocks hard.

You know what did play like a beat em up, but had combos, powers, interesting mechanics, and more?
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles. I loving love that game. I want more games like that. :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 23, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Guardian Heroes is like the one major exception, I meant to say that in my last post and forgot. But I didn't own a Dreamcast.

Aw you sumbitch. You just got my hopes up, thinking there was a DC port I'd somehow never heard of.

quote:

You know what did play like a beat em up, but had combos, powers, interesting mechanics, and more?
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles. I loving love that game. I want more games like that. :smith:

Word. Power Battles was janky as all hell but it was super fun anyways.

(also if you haven't played God Hand, do it)

Now, in actual Early FPS news, apparently somehow I'd never heard that Batman Doom got an Update for ZDoom last year, and now I'm happier than a pig in poo poo reliving my childhood. Guys, anyone got a simulator for waiting anxiously for Ghostbusters Doom???

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them. I love beat em ups, but most are NOT what you described remotely. There's no strategy.

Armored Warriors, Battle Circuit, Alien vs Predator, and then the god-tier Sengoku 3...

EDIT: Oh, and Vendetta, Splatterhouse 3, and Final Fight 3.

These should get you started. :)

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 23, 2013

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

abagofcheetos posted:

http://www.techdigest.tv/2013/10/10_gadgets_that.html

article owns, doom owns, hail satan

(the smart watch one looks kind of bullshit though, since he is moving around flat shaded corridors with no other indication it is Doom)

Ooh, that reminds me I wanted to try playing games with my USB keyboard piano.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

abagofcheetos posted:

(the smart watch one looks kind of bullshit though, since he is moving around flat shaded corridors with no other indication it is Doom)

I'm pretty sure the VIC-20 one is also a bullshit one.. it looks like the version where the guy put together an admittedly impressive for the system pseudo-2.5d shooter engine and then halfassed copies of the first few Doom 1 levels.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Seeing Doom running on a TI-nspire almost makes me wish I had one of the ones with a color screen (and that I was still in college so I'd actually have a reason to own a graphing calculator besides playing Doom :v:)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LvK posted:

Aw you sumbitch. You just got my hopes up, thinking there was a DC port I'd somehow never heard of.

gently caress, saturn. Sorry. I always mix up the Sega consoles. :smith:

Playing God Hand right now, actually! :) Missed it back in the day. Its also kinda janky like power battles, but I like the silliness.

TerminusEst13 posted:

Armored Warriors, Battle Circuit, Alien vs Predator, and then the god-tier Sengoku 3...

EDIT: Oh, and Vendetta, Splatterhouse 3, and Final Fight 3.

These should get you started. :)

I don't remember Alien v Predator or Splatterhouse having combos. Does Splatterhouse 3?

I've played poo poo tons of beat em ups you guys, I love em. I just haven't played many with real combos, that's what I was asking for.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
the VIC-20 one I'll let pass. Sure, it's more like a Wolf-like engine with Doom-ish assets, but holy poo poo you got an FPS running on a VIC-20.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

LvK posted:

Now, in actual Early FPS news, apparently somehow I'd never heard that Batman Doom got an Update for ZDoom last year, and now I'm happier than a pig in poo poo reliving my childhood. Guys, anyone got a simulator for waiting anxiously for Ghostbusters Doom???

There's some cool stuff with the plus version, but it also makes Batman not three feet tall, so you have to crouch to get through some doors or up some stairs sometimes. Still cool though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

I've played Shadows of Mystarra and the other D&D one, they're okay but each character only gets a couple moves, and even for all the cool D&D style level up and inventory mechanics, you really don't have many more tactical options. Levelling is a passive upgrade that just makes you all-around better, and happens naturally over time. A few items are useful, but that's it. Class variety is cool though, gives it replayability, but during a single run through you don't have many more options than you would in like a Turtles game. Beat guys, and try not to get hit, but you can't really control that so well. Gimme some dodge moves! Gimme some combos! Magic is cool, but Golden Axe had that way back in the day, its just a special "bomb". That is at least something tactical though, you can save them for when you really need them.

Uh, every class in the game gets a Dodge, Crouch, and a Slide. Any class with a shield also gets a Block and a Counter. Everyone has a bunch of different attacks and movement options and combos too. Here's a partial list that's missing a few things but is a good example: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/arcade/ddsom/basics.shtml

Also those moves that hurt you to do are absolutely the opposite of useless, they're pretty insanely important in every good beat em up. They require some knowledge of how the game mechanics work to know how to use though. In some games you can use them even if your life is empty so you can really abuse them when your life is low. In some other games they work as breakers, you can escape from taking a large amount of damage from an enemy combo by using them and only eating a small amount of damage. In most of them, they are at least totally invincible, so you can use them to avoid certain attacks while maintaining offense. Making ideal use of them can also require some knowledge of the stages though, if you know a Chicken is coming up you can afford to blow some life because you'll just get it back anyway. Sometimes it's worth it to power through a tough screen full of Andores.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

the VIC-20 one I'll let pass. Sure, it's more like a Wolf-like engine with Doom-ish assets, but holy poo poo you got an FPS running on a VIC-20.

Actually, it has non perpendicular walls, so it really is more of a doom-engine than a wolf-engine. Wolf used raycasting on a 2D grid, where Doom had to support BSPs. Mind you its running at butt x rear end resolution (inside of a terrible id id id boarder), but holy drat that really is a doom-like running on a VIC-20 :wtc:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Uh, every class in the game gets a Dodge, Crouch, and a Slide. Any class with a shield also gets a Block and a Counter. Everyone has a bunch of different attacks and movement options and combos too. Here's a partial list that's missing a few things but is a good example: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/arcade/ddsom/basics.shtml

Well snap. :eng99: I did not know that. Gotta play those through again.

Hell now I'm wondering if games like Knights of the Round or Turtles don't have some more depth to them than I figured, but I'm pretty sure I've done all you can do in those games. Throwing foot clan at the camera is fun, but only useful in 1 fight.

Yeah, I guess there are some cases where you can use the moves that hurt you to slight advantage, but you gotta admit its not very satisfying. Being able to do dragon punches or combos is way better. I always feel like I'm doing it wrong when I hurt myself. Bad game feel.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like you need to play those games again. There are dodge moves, various attacks for every situation, special moves for each character, about a billion different spells and items with all sorts of different uses (way more than just "bombs") and all sorts of crazy stuff you can do if you play in coop. Granted the controls could be a little awkward due to the way they tried to cram them all into so few buttons (I almost never used the block/counter due to how awkward it was to execute, for example), but there's plenty there if you look for it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Well snap. :eng99: I did not know that. Gotta play those through again.

That series is full of strange and mysterious things and it doesn't really go out of it's way to explain them to you. I didn't even know until just now there are two different versions of each character. :I

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't remember Alien v Predator or Splatterhouse having combos. Does Splatterhouse 3?

I've played poo poo tons of beat em ups you guys, I love em. I just haven't played many with real combos, that's what I was asking for.

Splatterhouse 1 and 2, no. Alien vs Predator and Splatterhouse 3, yes. Splatterhouse 3's combos are quite limited, but playing Lynn and Hunter in AvP really is pretty much combo city--a whole lot of their moves, guns, and special moves link into each other in various interesting ways.

If you really want lengthy, in-depth, intricate combos, though, then Sengoku 3 is pretty much the way to go. It only used two buttons for its combos, too--punch and sword, so it'd be pretty easy to do along with the fire/alt-fire in Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atSD0GkhTU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Keiya posted:

See also: MOOD ( do you see? ) for the C64.

I might do an effortport on the attempts at Doom-but-on-the-Amiga. There's a lot of technically interesting but crap to play stuff there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I'm looking for more weird old fps games to play and rant about. I'm reaaally struggling with KISS because I keep getting stuck in the loving scenery. Anyone got any recommendations?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

How about Gore: Ultimate soldier? There's the SA review of it already, but it's bizarre enough you might get some fun out of it. One of the enemies is a fat guy holding a beer can who punches you, and when you kill him he complains that he spilled his beer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm looking for more weird old fps games to play and rant about. I'm reaaally struggling with KISS because I keep getting stuck in the loving scenery. Anyone got any recommendations?

How about the terminator ones?
Redneck Rampage?
Maybe something like Deer Avenger 3D?

I love reading your writeups. I don't know if good games or horrible games would be more entertaining. I'm thinking horrible ones would be better for us, and worse for you. :cheeky:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
There's that Mac OS FPS game where you play as the president.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zaphod42 posted:

Redneck Rampage?

I'd like to read a write-up about Redneck Rampage. I love the game despite all its flaws, so it's not like anything negative you may have to say about the game will be new to me. I've already praised all the positives of the game enough, I believe, either in this thread or the GOG.com thread.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Play Skynet. I want to know if that game is actually good or if it is massive rose tinting on my part.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Prenton posted:

See also: MOOD ( do you see? ) for the C64.

I might do an effortport on the attempts at Doom-but-on-the-Amiga. There's a lot of technically interesting but crap to play stuff there.

It was honestly quite weird just how unsuited to creating similar engines the Amiga's hardware was. Doubly so, because it's not like the Mac or PC had been built with 2.5D engine creation in mind.

I seem to remember that the system only got something similar once Doom itself had the source code release and someone straight up ported it to the highest end Amiga systems.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hell now I'm wondering if games like Knights of the Round or Turtles don't have some more depth to them than I figured, but I'm pretty sure I've done all you can do in those games. Throwing foot clan at the camera is fun, but only useful in 1 fight.

Knights of the Round has a block/parry system but I don't think much else in terms of cool poo poo

catlord posted:

There's some cool stuff with the plus version, but it also makes Batman not three feet tall, so you have to crouch to get through some doors or up some stairs sometimes. Still cool though.

Yeah, that's the version I'm playing with. It can get a little hilarious/frustrating in some fights, having to duck walk action roll through doorways and over small obstacles in the middle of a fight.

It is still hella insane just how impressive Batman Doom is, man. Especially for its age.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Actually, it has non perpendicular walls, so it really is more of a doom-engine than a wolf-engine. Wolf used raycasting on a 2D grid, where Doom had to support BSPs. Mind you its running at butt x rear end resolution (inside of a terrible id id id boarder), but holy drat that really is a doom-like running on a VIC-20 :wtc:

Hunh, really? I hadn't noticd any, cool.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Prenton posted:

How about the Duke3D Amiga sourceport?

http://users.neoscientists.org/~dante/

Granted, it's not quite as impressive considering it needs AGA and AmigaOS 3.9, but it's there :v:

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

How about some of the Old Build games like TekWar or Witchaven.

At least TekWar seems pretty bad. No idea how to get them nowadays though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still sad I never got Prime Target working on my Mac... cursed technology!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

I keep wanting to do a website on this subject (poo poo that Doom can run on), but I kept getting worn out by having to write articles for X amount of systems. :( Maybe I'll just make it a Tumblr or something.

Prenton posted:

Please do! I played some a while back, they were pretty rear end!

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

The Kins posted:

I keep wanting to do a website on this subject (poo poo that Doom can run on), but I kept getting worn out by having to write articles for X amount of systems. :( Maybe I'll just make it a Tumblr or something.

I'm pretty sure there was a site dedicated to things that could run Doom (I think it was ItPlaysDoom.com or something like that?).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

nekoxid posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a site dedicated to things that could run Doom (I think it was ItPlaysDoom.com or something like that?).

Yep. Newest version on wayback.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Eulisker posted:

I think I remember seeing a free release of Witchaven by one of the developers a while back. I can't seem to find it now though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zero Population Count :getin:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Doom Talk.

I've been having a fun time with Saturn X with ironman HMP and pistol start, until I got to Map 19 on the latest beta: Bingo Pool Halls of Blood. It's a wide-open "city" map with a spider demon and about 5-6 archviles hidden around. I must've tried it about 30 times before giving up.

Really great WAD aside from that though.

Also, just found this shirt: http://shirtoid.com/62192/iddqd-god-mode/

Tempted to get it, but I don't want people to think I'm a dirty cheater. I promise I'll wear it to first dates.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The 68000 is more advanced but has some weird limitations in its instruction set and architecture that x86 doesn't have to deal with. The 68000 doesn't have hardware support for string manipulation or BCD arithmetic and 32-bit words have to start on even memory addresses for example (if I remember right, haven't done 68000 in a while). I don't know exactly what makes Doom difficult on a 68030/AGA compared to 80486/VGA though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Eulisker posted:

Yes. Please do TekWar, that game is definitely amusing if lovely. Also it's objectively far better than Witchaven by virtue of having digitized William Shatner angrily berating you for shooting civilians.

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

The 68000 is more advanced but has some weird limitations in its instruction set and architecture that x86 doesn't have to deal with. The 68000 doesn't have hardware support for string manipulation or BCD arithmetic and 32-bit words have to start on even memory addresses for example (if I remember right, haven't done 68000 in a while). I don't know exactly what makes Doom difficult on a 68030/AGA compared to 80486/VGA though.

Primarily, the Amiga's video hardware devotes a lot to acceleration of sprite type displays while the VGA (and EGA and CGA) were more about making it easy to dump out bits to the buffer. That's why you need to have basically the top end 68k Amigas with the better video chipset to bruteforce your way to a reliable full screen renderer. Additionally, developers seeking to do it on the Amiga didn't have access to iD's implementation until the 1998 source code release, so they had the additional burden of not knowing how DOOM was pulling off its tricks to get it to run on the more advantageous hardware of PCs and Macs.

SNES and 32x DOOM solved similar problems by the way that both of them relied on chunking in coprocessors to take the rendering brunt that the base consoles couldn't handle (The Super FX 2 on the SNES, the whole 32x itself to the Genesis). This wasn't available for the Amiga as a general rule, although you could eventually get expensive add-on boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Install Windows posted:

SNES and 32x DOOM solved similar problems by the way that both of them relied on chunking in coprocessors to take the rendering brunt that the base consoles couldn't handle (The Super FX 2 on the SNES, the whole 32x itself to the Genesis). This wasn't available for the Amiga as a general rule, although you could eventually get expensive add-on boards.

It should be noted that the SNES version of Doom doesn't actually use the Doom engine, instead using one written in-house at Sculptured Software by Randy Linden (called the Rage/Reality Engine), who was also the dude behind the Playstation emulator Bleem! The 32X version was a port of the Jaguar version, which itself was actually ported by id software. The 32X version, which was ported by Sega Technical Institute (I think) was an absolute rushjob though and visibly suffered as a result. :eng101:

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 24, 2013