Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VDay posted:

Fantastic episode, although I really, really hope that they do something with the fact that Lance got to talk to, be around, and at various points stand directly next to Ollie without apparently recognizing him. I'm fine with it if it was just for this episode or if it turns out that Lance realized it was Ollie long ago, but having Lance not recognize him while being around him for that long would just be too drat silly. We'll see what happens I guess.

Lance knew it was Ollie since the start, but was never able to prove it. Now that he respects Ollie and Arrow he does not care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VDay posted:

Fantastic episode, although I really, really hope that they do something with the fact that Lance got to talk to, be around, and at various points stand directly next to Ollie without apparently recognizing him. I'm fine with it if it was just for this episode or if it turns out that Lance realized it was Ollie long ago, but having Lance not recognize him while being around him for that long would just be too drat silly. We'll see what happens I guess.

His hood flew back when he wrestling with Bronze Tiger, fully exposing his face in the light, and BT didn't recognize him. I think we just need to accept that green eyeshadow makes you unrecognizable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Nolan Ra's is the correct way, as far as Arabic is concerned. I know O'Neill intended Raysh, but he was wrong.

Neon Knight posted:

Channel 52, The Amazo. Little inconsequential name drops in geeky shows must be fun for the writers. Of more consequence, I am still disappointed that Ombudsman Blood is not Jason Blood.

Good episode, though I hope this female vigilante can prove to be a better actress than the Huntress.

You missed Black Canary hanging out with a girl named Sin.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I still can't believe that both Ollie and Slade ran across a field with shells dropping on it. I mean, what exactly did they think they were going to accomplish? Ollie wasn't thinking, but what's Slade's excuse?

Because for all of Slade's talks about not having attachments he's shown he cares for Ollie.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

UberAaron posted:

Yeah, it's League of Shadows official gear.

Getting on board the :tviv: bandwagon.

Well that explains the "we must destroy it to cleanse it" theme for the Glades.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ded posted:

Well that explains the "we must destroy it to cleanse it" theme for the Glades.

Yeah, this. Also, this show is so loving good. God drat :stare:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

The Nolan Ra's is the correct way, as far as Arabic is concerned. I know O'Neill intended Raysh, but he was wrong.

You missed Black Canary hanging out with a girl named Sin.

And their hideout being in a clocktower.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Can they actually cast an actor for Ra's Al Ghul? He's a Batman movie character and I thought that was off the table. Batman characters have always had weird rules for who can appear where with the different cartoon shows and movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

pentyne posted:

Can they actually cast an actor for Ra's Al Ghul? He's a Batman movie character and I thought that was off the table. Batman characters have always had weird rules for who can appear where with the different cartoon shows and movies.

They should hire Liam Neeson because gently caress continuity. He'd be awesome in this show.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Can someone remind me where the "Amazo" reference was? I either missed it or forgot.

teagone posted:

They should hire Liam Neeson because gently caress continuity. He'd be awesome in this show.

Do you really think Liam Neeson would agree to appear on The CW?

What would be kind of cool and funny is if they cast Ken Watanabe and actually gave him a real shot at playing the character

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also, the chemical company was "Metamorpho Chemicals" or something equally as awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bbf2 posted:

Haha. Of course I do.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

bbf2 posted:

Can someone remind me where the "Amazo" reference was? I either missed it or forgot.
The tanker that the new bad guys apparently came to the island on is named The Amazo.

quote:

It'd be a step up from Taken 2.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

pentyne posted:

I so, so hope.

Oded Fehr as Ras. Haifa Wehne or Jenna Dewan as Talia.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I don't understand how this keeps getting better. They are really hitting it out of the loving park, my god. Sooo happy at the quick resolution to the "blame arrow for Tommy" plot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This episode had one of the most badass intros and then just kept doing that for the rest of the hour.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Officer Lance throws his amazing hot dog that he paid for with his own money away to pursue a suspect and then gets called off the chase? The Starling PD has gone too far this time.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Pwnstar posted:

Officer Lance throws his amazing hot dog that he paid for with his own money away to pursue a suspect and then gets called off the chase? The Starling PD has gone too far this time.

That scene made me so loving hungry.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The Starling PD is so hilariously inept it makes Gotham's PD look like geniuses. They don't have any manpower to protect truckloads of opiates but have 30 SWAT guys to try to bust the one dude taking down criminals in the city. I'd like Detective Lance more if Starling PD wasn't so utterly hosed. Him parroting the party line on pretty much everything in Season 1 was super-annoying.

Also, I guess we figured out where Oliver got some of his burns from.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was loving outstanding. So much nerdgasm...

I don't even care that it doesn't seem to follow the comics, name dropping up the wazoo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats The Amazo a reference to? I know it's a reference. Also, who is Sin's character , I don't recall her from the comics.

Green Arrow's disguise is fine you know why? Because this is how people describe him when his hood comes off " What did he look like " , " I don't know I went swimming in his beautiful blue eyes".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Amazo is an android who can't replicate powers from people he comes into contact with, he's been a Justice League bad guy for some time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shakugan posted:

I can't be the only one who has never, does not, and will not ever care about Ollie's island adventures. It's such a drag for the rest of the show. Every time I see the start of an island scene I think "great, there goes a minute of screen time for the actual show".

You are not, I think the island plot is boring. Now that it seems as if they are finally leaving the island, perhaps I will give a poo poo. Also, I don't care for Slade. The "present time" plot is fantastic on the other hand.

And seconding people not being able to recall his face because they are blinded by his beautiful blue eyes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not Arrow related, but check the Spartacus thread for a Liam MacIntyre add, that has an awesome Batman reference #BringerOfWayne

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well goddamn. That was some good TV.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think what really caught me off guard is that I just expected this to be a generic villain of the week episode. Some random dude who will be all smug and then get Arrow'd while a bunch of soapy stuff happens in the background. I did not expect this week's villain to be as creepy and have as dominating a presence as he did. Was not expecting a lot of great character moments between Ollie and Lance, fast tracking Laurel's arc quickly rather than drawing it out over a season and I drat sure wasn't execting this many :tviv: moments.

This episode and this show should not kick as much rear end as it does.

At this rate I can't wait for what they do with The Flash.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So let me get this straight...

In one 40 minute episode they accomplished:

-Resolving the Laurel/Arrow conflict after three episodes in the best way possible where she comes to terms with her grief and realizes it clouded her judgment instead of letting it play out over the season like any other show would do.

-Establishing him as The Arrow.

-Introducing and establishing Black Canary and Sin.

-Having a creepy and really well done villain of the week.

-Getting Oliver off the island in the flashbacks.

-Establishing the League of Assassins and Ra's Al Ghul.

And that's on top of all the great little things in the episode such as the Officer Lance/Arrow team up scenes.

Also I didn't see anyone mention it but the way the recap went right into the beginning of the episode with no cut whatsoever was awesome.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
-Felicity stepping up to claim her place as a full member of the team
-The death penalty coming up as a possibility for Moira Queen and her acceptance of her role in mass murder
-The police department just covering up poo poo rather then solving it
-Any number of criminals having escaped from jail in the quake
-Ollie being the vigilante who stops other vigilantes

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Also, the chemical company was "Metamorpho Chemicals" or something equally as awesome.

loved that name drop

The lawyer 'Tony Daniel' reminded me that DC has a Batman/Superman artist named Tony Daniels.

The actress playing Sin was last seen in The Killing, season 3 [another BC, Canada production] & did a hell of a job in that previous role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The detective that was working the murder case is one of the bad guys on Continuum, another Vancouver show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollis posted:

Whats The Amazo a reference to? I know it's a reference. Also, who is Sin's character , I don't recall her from the comics.

Green Arrow's disguise is fine you know why? Because this is how people describe him when his hood comes off " What did he look like " , " I don't know I went swimming in his beautiful blue eyes".

Sin is a little girl that was raised as an assassin, similar to Cassandra Cain. Black Canary saves and adopts her.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Dead Snoopy posted:

loved that name drop

The lawyer 'Tony Daniel' reminded me that DC has a Batman/Superman artist named Tony Daniels.

The actress playing Sin was last seen in The Killing, season 3 [another BC, Canada production] & did a hell of a job in that previous role.

Yeah, Tony Daniel rebooted Dollmaker in the New52.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally don't fangirl out about this stuff - but I'd poo poo my pants in glee if Cassandra Cain gets a reference.

DC's best new character in years, and her absence in the New 52 is yet another "Jesus Christ, does anyone know what they're doing over there?" moment.

But the crazy thing is that someone like Cassandra Cain would work well with Arrow's styling of the DC universe.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

CeeJee posted:

-Felicity stepping up to claim her place as a full member of the team
-The death penalty coming up as a possibility for Moira Queen and her acceptance of her role in mass murder
-The police department just covering up poo poo rather then solving it
-Any number of criminals having escaped from jail in the quake
-Ollie being the vigilante who stops other vigilantes

Felicity became a full fledged member of the team in season one. If you discount her role as the tech guru, weapons designer, and what shes done to update the arrow cave (quiver) and are basing her 'full member' status on putting herself in harms way she's done that too.

Moira has never denied her role in what happened in the glades. She's been telling everyone she deserves to be punished for her role in it. The death penalty was a new wrinkle but she didn't seem terribly upset about it.

The police were trying to solve/capture the dollmaker. They explained that they were just withholding information from the public because they were short staffed and didn't want to cause a panic or let people know just how badly understaffed they were (yet they have an anti-hood task force set up).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Well looks like you are right. B:TAS why did you lie to me :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

When people bring up "the terrible Birds of Prey" are they referring to the comics or the short lived series or both?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

When people bring up "the terrible Birds of Prey" are they referring to the comics or the short lived series or both?

The show.

I'm sure there were bad runs of Birds of Prey, but I think it's mostly well regarded.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Aphrodite posted:

The show.

I'm sure there were bad runs of Birds of Prey, but I think it's mostly well regarded.

drat, always had an interest in checking out the show just because it has a live action Harley Quinn.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

frgildan posted:

Because for all of Slade's talks about not having attachments he's shown he cares for Ollie.
Oliver had also just saved his bacon a few minutes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Perhaps a shallow question, but I was the only one to hear "Nice rear end" rather than "Nice Mask" after Black Canary saved Ollie at the start of the episode?

• Locked thread