Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The best thing about watching TAS is when you are watching it is you think you are in some sort of fever dream and on something, but its just the show. Just watching the loving thing is an experience in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

bobkatt013 posted:

The best thing about watching TAS is when you are watching it is you think you are in some sort of fever dream and on something, but its just the show. Just watching the loving thing is an experience in itself.

I really need to get around to that sometime.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really wish Star Trek: The Experience was still a thing. I was lucky enough to go when I was about 15-16, and right to the gift shop at right about the time when VHS was getting phased out for DVD and all the VHS tapes were on sale, so I managed to snag a lot of TNG episodes on VHS, like "All Good Things", "Elementary Dear Data", "Yesterday's Enterprise", etc. Sadly Best of Both Worlds and Measure of a Man were sold out, but nowadays I have those on DVD anyway and Netflix is now a thing.

I saw some Klingon actors and I was like "Yes! Today is a good day to die!" and they were like "K'pla! This young human knows honor!" pounded their chests and the lead one firmly put his hand on my shoulder. It was cool and fun and it's sad it's gone forever. :(

I heard there's some prince out in Qatar or something who wants to make a 1:1 scale refit Enterprise, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My understanding of this stuff is that DelRey is just publishing the books, it's LucasBooks who actually devises the storylines and manages the EU.

Having Palpatine create the Empire to fight the Vong is, like, okay, I guess. The timeframe was close enough that, okay, again, I guess that's okay as like an aside in a "no one destroys the Republic but the Sith!" way. But Revan? The actual books establish the Vong as having first started scouting the galaxy only around the time Anakin was a kid, Revan was what, ten thousand years earlier? :mad:

The Star Wars Expanded Universe is so pants on head stupid, I really don't even like thinking about it anymore as it makes my head hurt.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Apple Jax posted:

Yeah, the menu did suck and the food was lovely. I remember sitting at a booth there and it had one of those borg circular light jazz things hanging next to it and it kinda just looked slapped on--what the hell is this thing doing in Quark's bar? Also, I went 11 years ago and was underaged at the time so I couldn't even order a drink :mad:

It was basically an Applebee's, but all the kitsch hanging on the wall is Star Trek-themed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

One giant reason to never read Star Wars EU - the douchebag that helped ruin Dune has done a bunch of work in it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 24, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

One giant reason to never read Star Trek EU - the douchebag that helped ruin Dune has done a bunch of work in it.

Oh poo poo, Kevin J. Anderson is making lovely Trek books too? I thought he just took giant smelly dumps on Star Wars and Dune from time to time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh poo poo, Kevin J. Anderson is making lovely Trek books too? I thought he just took giant smelly dumps on Star Wars and Dune from time to time.

poo poo I meant Star War. He has not written any Trek to my knowledge.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 24, 2013

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

bobkatt013 posted:

TAS really starts driving you nuts after you've seen that same running animation reused for the 20th time or heard one of the 3 music tracks they have set on repeat. But, you can't stop watching because under all of it there's an actual well written (for the most part) story. Except when it's a loving crazy story like the Devil in the center of the universe one, holy poo poo.

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 24, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh, he also took a huge poo poo all over the entire body of Jules Verne's work. He wrote and published, no poo poo, Captain Nemo fanfiction in which every Jules Verne book was actually about Captain Nemo having adventures.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

If its been translated into Chinese, give him a copy of the Lost in Space movie. If not, just shine a strobe light in his eyes while making "pew pew" sounds.

Chinese people watch movies with subtitles, never dubbed, so I don't know what you mean by translate. What brand/speed of strobe light should I get?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TAS has the awful, awful cheap-rear end animation you would expect from a 1970's Hanna-Barbera cartoon (in fact, it's below Scooby-Doo quality, it's like He-Man levels of bad) but the actual actors reprized their roles, its often written by the same people who wrote for TOS like D.C. Fontana and even Larry Niven of Ringworld fame.

For a kid's show in the 1970's, while it will have its dumb moments, it's often surprisingly well-written and adult. In one episode, they encounter Orion pirates that would rather commit suicide than be captured. I can't believe that actually got past the censors! Plus, there's an episode (that's honestly pretty bad) where they go to the center of the universe, wind up in Salem, Massachusetts and BEFRIEND SATAN. How the hell did they get away with that?

I think TAS is worth watching, for if nothing else, it's very short (only has about 22 or so episodes) and each episode is only about 20 minutes long. After watching TOS, I didn't feel like I had enough, and TAS is good for that.

As said before, Star Trek Continues \ Phase II \ whatever tend to have very good sets, costumes and production values, and that one episode of Star Trek Continues really does feel like a TOS era script and would totally work within that show, the actors always just leave a lot to be desired in those fan films.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, he also took a huge poo poo all over the entire body of Jules Verne's work. He wrote and published, no poo poo, Captain Nemo fanfiction in which every Jules Verne book was actually about Captain Nemo having adventures.

Oh Jesus loving Christ.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair, Firefly did the shaky cam and snap zoom, and did them well.

Well IDK if I'd say Firefly did them well (in that I honestly don't remember it being used much outside their cgi shots), but overall those things don't bother me. I just would rather they not become the default since it's lazy and works in certain stories better than other- e.g. nobody is going to shoot a rom-com like that aside from the Duplass brothers I guess?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

DFu4ever posted:

Then again, I thought the movie was great and doesn't have nearly the number of issues people claim it has. And I typically line up with this thread's general tastes in Trek, so...

Yeah, that's great! It's the legion of people who shoot down critical discussion that gets me.

My way of looking at it is, fantastic Great Job if you've enjoyed the movies, just don't expect me to also love it simply because you do.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Apple Jax posted:

TAS really starts driving you nuts after you've seen that same running animation reused for the 20th time or heard one of the 3 music tracks they have set on repeat. But, you can't stop watching because under all of it there's an actual well written (for the most part) story. Except when it's a loving crazy story like the Devil in the center of the universe one, holy poo poo.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

rypakal posted:

I really wish people would stop saying this. Nobody kills animals. They replicate meat.

I know this is from awhile back, and I'm probably :spergin: hard by mentioning this, but... what about gagh? The Enterprise is shown to be capable of producing it on several occasions, and it's usually eaten live. In this particular case, they're not just replicating meat, they're replicating an entire living creature. That they then kill. By eating.

I really wish they had pursued the whole "replicating a living, breathing creature" thing, because that could have produced some interesting episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Apple Jax posted:

That episode is amazing as it is so batshit insane and has to be seen to believe.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Someone do a TAS writeup and I'll put it in the OP

Bonus points if you use the KIRK IS A JERK gif

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Azurrat posted:

I know this is from awhile back, and I'm probably :spergin: hard by mentioning this, but... what about gagh? The Enterprise is shown to be capable of producing it on several occasions, and it's usually eaten live. In this particular case, they're not just replicating meat, they're replicating an entire living creature. That they then kill. By eating.

I really wish they had pursued the whole "replicating a living, breathing creature" thing, because that could have produced some interesting episodes.

I don't think they were ever able to produce it live. Just dead gagh.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

As said before, Star Trek Continues \ Phase II \ whatever tend to have very good sets, costumes and production values, and that one episode of Star Trek Continues really does feel like a TOS era script and would totally work within that show, the actors always just leave a lot to be desired in those fan films.

The problem with a lot of the fan films is indeed the acting. Especially on the TOS era ones. They meticulously recreate the 60s sets, do the special effects as good or better (which is amazing considering how much it must've cost to produce the show back in the 60s), and often get actual pro writers from Star Trek. But the actors aren't great, and even when OK they usually fail to capture the characters well when they imitate Kirk and the rest. Granted, there's a bit more of a precedence for recasting the original characters since JJTrek, but the best option for the fanfilms would just be to do episodes with a different ship of the same era. Starship Exeter tried that and was decent, but they couldn't get more than one complete episode off the ground.

That's another issue though, the pacing. It takes so long to do the episodes they have to often go through a revolving door of cast because people move, lose interest, drop out, etc. Phase II has had like 6 Spocks and every single character has been played by more than one actor. Even the guy who runs it, who plays Kirk stepped down. And while he looked nothing like Shatner, he at least had the Shattitude...whereas the new guy looks eerily like Shatner, but is wooden as hell and the voice is off. Not to mention they get so far ahead of themselves they have something like 5 episodes in various stages of filming, production, and planning but haven't turned out a complete episode in around 2 years ("Still working on polishing the effects for the third act! We'll have it out sometime in the next month or so!")

I mean, I guess I shouldn't bitch too much, as the episodes are free to us, cost these guys a lot personally to make and the studio is looking the other way big time. But they'll never be any sort of "replacement" for televised Star Trek anytime soon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Astroman posted:

The problem with a lot of the fan films is indeed the acting. Especially on the TOS era ones. They meticulously recreate the 60s sets, do the special effects as good or better (which is amazing considering how much it must've cost to produce the show back in the 60s), and often get actual pro writers from Star Trek. But the actors aren't great, and even when OK they usually fail to capture the characters well when they imitate Kirk and the rest. Granted, there's a bit more of a precedence for recasting the original characters since JJTrek, but the best option for the fanfilms would just be to do episodes with a different ship of the same era. Starship Exeter tried that and was decent, but they couldn't get more than one complete episode off the ground.

That's another issue though, the pacing. It takes so long to do the episodes they have to often go through a revolving door of cast because people move, lose interest, drop out, etc. Phase II has had like 6 Spocks and every single character has been played by more than one actor. Even the guy who runs it, who plays Kirk stepped down. And while he looked nothing like Shatner, he at least had the Shattitude...whereas the new guy looks eerily like Shatner, but is wooden as hell and the voice is off. Not to mention they get so far ahead of themselves they have something like 5 episodes in various stages of filming, production, and planning but haven't turned out a complete episode in around 2 years ("Still working on polishing the effects for the third act! We'll have it out sometime in the next month or so!")

I mean, I guess I shouldn't bitch too much, as the episodes are free to us, cost these guys a lot personally to make and the studio is looking the other way big time. But they'll never be any sort of "replacement" for televised Star Trek anytime soon.

I watched a couple of episodes of Phase II and yeah, while the acting is fairly cringeworthy, they also aren't completely terrible. I've definitely seen worse (there was this one fan series I remember seeing back in like 2002 that consisted solely of the "actors" sitting in front of the camera in poorly-made costumes against a green screen that would show whatever setting they were supposed to be in (bridge, ready room, engineering, whatever). I'm trying to remember the name of it.

Edit: found it. Give the first episode or three a watch just to see some of the world's worst acting (especially the commander dude): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Hidden_Frontier

Anyway re: Phase II, the main guy behind it apparently ran into JJ Abrams on Paramount's lot one day during production of Trek 09 and was immortalized as an extra:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 24, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hyperriker posted:

Someone do a TAS writeup and I'll put it in the OP

Bonus points if you use the KIRK IS A JERK gif

This still makes me laugh

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hyperriker posted:

Yeah, that's great! It's the legion of people who shoot down critical discussion that gets me.

My way of looking at it is, fantastic Great Job if you've enjoyed the movies, just don't expect me to also love it simply because you do.

When discussing a movie, I don't really care if the other person likes it because everyone has different tastes and whatnot. The problem lies with the fact that, especially with this movie, people seemed to love pointing out things they disliked about the plot as objective flaws, when there was nothing objective about them at all. The movie actually does a good job of avoiding actual plot holes.

And it isn't just the people arguing in favor of the movie that shoot down critical discussion. I stopped trying to show how the film actually justifies a lot of the plot elements that people bitched about after being completely ignored four or five times. It's not worth arguing about after a certain point.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
That's it "it's not worth arguing about after a certain point", but try taking that into the CD thread, my god

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

TAS has the awful, awful cheap-rear end animation you would expect from a 1970's Hanna-Barbera cartoon (in fact, it's below Scooby-Doo quality, it's like He-Man levels of bad)

Pretty sure TAS and He-Man were done by the same animation company, Filmation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Astroman posted:

They meticulously recreate the 60s sets, do the special effects as good or better (which is amazing considering how much it must've cost to produce the show back in the 60s)...
Yeah, an entire 50¢.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hyperriker posted:

That's it "it's not worth arguing about after a certain point", but try taking that into the CD thread, my god

Yeah, that thread got really, really bad. Once the "Why is Khan white?" and "OMG a bra!" arguments got started, that thread became nearly gas chamber worthy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Yeah, an entire 50¢.

Star Trek actually hired something like five different effects houses in order to get their special effects done on time, and it was probably the best work that could be done short of a major feature film production.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I think the thing about JJTrek is that it directly condemns on many aspects of the original franchise. If that upsets you because you like (those aspects of) the original franchise, obviously you're not going to like the movie.

For reference, I think SMG explains what JJTrek 09 condemns extremely well: specifically, the aesthetics and viewpoints of the later TNG movies, like Nemesis. The movie opts instead for a kind of hopefulness and bright aesthetic and the over-coming of no-win scenarios.

SMG hints towards *some* of what Into Darkness deals with, but I'm not sure he's on the mark and some of his posts in the CD thread seem a bit scattered. But where I think he's on the mark is the way Into Darkness deals with the time or continuity between "now" (2013, or the 1960s when Star Trek first came out) and 2250 or whatever when we first meet (the first) Kirk. I think the movie is condemning the utopianism without the solution. Like, you can't just say, "yeah sure, we built a utopia and everything's great and we don't need money. Oh, yeah, we had those eugenics wars and stuff, but, like, we got over it... Somehow." Into Darkness deals with all those things: Khan's problem with the Federation is partly legitimate, because the Federation itself isn't totally perfect, and even Kirk has to learn some humility. Yes, we should embrace what the original series did well (e.g. hopefulness towards a better future, a Russian and a black woman on the bridge in a 1960s tv show) but the attitude of "ah yes, and now everything is perfect! No more problems! Nope! No sir!" is gonna lead you into trouble. You have to go "into darkness," and deal with those troubling aspects, while still maintaining the hopeful aesthetic and trying to overcome those problems (as opposed to devolving into nihilism and darkness for the sake of darkness). This is why, for example, Kirk survives (also: duh), and why the movie ends with the beginning of their 5 year mission or whatever. It's also why I like the ongoing theme of Kirk's (and Bones's) interactions with women revealing him to constantly be a leering creepo, and he constantly gets "dressed down," whether literally (in ST09), or in other ways, as when Carol Marcus calls him out on his gaze and Kirk looks like an idiot*, and then in the very next scene when Bones acts like a creepo with corny lines, everyone rolls his eyes at him doing so and tells him to stop, and Carol is the only one able to accomplish anything.

* I think condemning that scene for e.g. the "Male Gaze" misses the mark. The male gaze is very much about about pleasure in voyeurism (as well as fetishism and narcissism), i.e. repressing the fact that you, the movie viewer, are the creepy observer. The active male character stands in for you, watching the passive female object so you can pretend "Oh I'm not looking at her, Active Male Character is!" In the scene, Carol is clearly the active one, and she draws attention to Kirk's leering gaze, telling him to loving stop already. That said, the way to improve the scene would be for her to break the 4th wall or something, like somehow draw attention to the audience's own leering gaze. (But that would be a bit out of place unless done quite subtly, so I dunno.)

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 24, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bobkatt013 posted:

This still makes me laugh

There is also this one

also

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

DirtyRobot posted:

I think the thing about JJTrek is that it directly condemns on many aspects of the original franchise. If that upsets you because you like (those aspects of) the original franchise, obviously you're not going to like the movie.

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm too much of a stick in the mud to enjoy JJTrek because it really shits all over TOS.

But, what truly bugs me the most about the new films is talking with non-trekkies about them. I've had friends tell me they're 'woah so excited for the new trek movies' because Bennedict Cumberbunch and Zachary Quinto and What's His Name are sooooo dreamy and how they love the new movies because "the actors in the original weren't as hot and were really terrible actors". And my fragile little heart simply can't take hearing that.

Edit: To end this post on a lighter note, here's a trek cake, enjoy:

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 24, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What the gently caress Shatner was a total dreamboat in TOS ask my mom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apple Jax posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that I'm too much of a stick in the mud to enjoy JJTrek because it really shits all over TOS.

But, what truly bugs me the most about the new films is talking with non-trekkies about them. I've had friends tell me they're 'woah so excited for the new trek movies' because Bennedict Cumberbunch and Zachary Quinto and What's His Name are sooooo dreamy and how they love the new movies because "the actors in the original weren't as hot and were really terrible actors". And my fragile little heart simply can't take hearing that.
In their time, which to be fair is coming on fifty years ago, they WERE the hot guys. Cumberpatch prays, I'm sure, that he'll remain as handsome as Patrick Stewart :armfold: But really that is kind of an interesting phenomenon.

As for the quality, the main shift was that those guys were closer to the theater, I think - but then, most people were.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What the gently caress Shatner was a total dreamboat in TOS ask my mom.

Nessus posted:

In their time, which to be fair is coming on fifty years ago, they WERE the hot guys. Cumberpatch prays, I'm sure, that he'll remain as handsome as Patrick Stewart :armfold: But really that is kind of an interesting phenomenon.
poo poo, you guys don't have to tell me that. Weird baby-face Quinto, boring Cucumberbrunch and that other guy wish they were anywhere close to young Nimoy or Shanter's level.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Apple Jax posted:

poo poo, you guys don't have to tell me that. Weird baby-face Quinto, boring Cucumberbrunch and that other guy wish they were anywhere close to young Nimoy or Shanter's level.

You take that back about Quinto. :mad:

No arguments on Cumberbatch though, the guy is like a human weasel. Seriously, what the hell is going on with his face? It's too blocky and thin, like it's kinda compressed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Circutron posted:

You take that back about Quinto. :mad:

No arguments on Cumberbatch though, the guy is like a human weasel. Seriously, what the hell is going on with his face? It's too blocky and thin, like it's kinda compressed.
I think it's because he's really good at seeming like a smouldering, barely-suppressed ball of incipent murder, which gets a certain slice of the audience super hot. I didn't mind him, except in so far as I felt he was kind of a waste of the character, until he did his loving Grinch Grin on the bridge of the USS Doomship.

I am OK with Quinto. In some ways I actually liked Pine's version of Kirk, at least after the first film, than movie-era Shat. More of a human, less of a Shatner.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Pine is dreamy. Quinto has a weird nose. Cumberbatch is weird as a whole but has a badass voice.

Dudechat.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I didn't like Simon Peg as Scotty. He was too manic.

I loved Karl Urban as Bones, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Pine is dreamy. Quinto has a weird nose. Cumberbatch is weird as a whole but has a badass voice.

Dudechat.
They should make a 13 episode series with Peter Weller in which Admiral Marcus and a goony crew of PMC employees attempt to locate all this poo poo from previous episodes, and they finally settle on Khan because most of the other godlike beings think they are chumps. (The Ferengi con them three times)

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Lowen SoDium posted:

I loved Karl Urban as Bones, though.

If there's only one thing I like about the new movies it's Karl Urban. The only better fit for the role would have been DeForest himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Cumberbatch's voice is the big draw. The only real problem I have with the JJTrek actors is that Pine is incapable of Shatner's smug confidence, and Quinto plays Spock too stiffly. Someone said it in an earlier thread, but the thing about Spock is that he's incredibly chill.

• Locked thread