Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I tried starting a game as a Byzantine Count because I wanted to ascend to Basileus and reform the Roman Empire. But seriously, gently caress being a vassal in a kingdom/empire with medium+ crown authority because you just can't get poo poo done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Sheep posted:

Vinland.

Yesssssss

Hell just give us the world, but make colonization impossibly difficult

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boing posted:

I tried starting a game as a Byzantine Count because I wanted to ascend to Basileus and reform the Roman Empire. But seriously, gently caress being a vassal in a kingdom/empire with medium+ crown authority because you just can't get poo poo done

Starting as a count always sounds exciting but you realize quickly how it's just sitting on your thumbs for a century or two before actually getting to play the game. Unless it's a place with nothing but counts (e.g. Ireland) I usually start at least as a Duke.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

If there's going to be Zoroastrian fixes can they get rid of dynasty name countries and change the names of my religious vassals so they aren't called Counts/Dukes/Kings? Seems like an oversight.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

I tried this with more than one duke and they always always always go to war with their vassals and seize the other counties. I've got dukes with 4+ counties and 1-2 count level vassals and I'm afraid it's going to be a shitshow when my well-loved king finally bites it.

Of course they do. You gotta keep on top of that stuff with revoke county plots, fabricating claims (on your own vassals), creative assassination, provoking them to rebel and straight up taking their poo poo and eating the malaise. I usually do this by being really asperger about keeping dejure ducal borders intact.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 24, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

lenoon posted:

Yesssssss

Hell just give us the world, but make colonization impossibly difficult

Feudal Muslims and Vikings isn't wrong enough?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Starting as a count always sounds exciting but you realize quickly how it's just sitting on your thumbs for a century or two before actually getting to play the game. Unless it's a place with nothing but counts (e.g. Ireland) I usually start at least as a Duke.

One fun game I've got going began as a custom character count, mostly because I'm playing to spread my dynasty more than to do anything awesome myself. My Innsbruck-originated family currently holds the Duchy of Tyrol (me), the Duchy of Tuscany (a relative), and formerly held the Duchy of Sicily before the Byzantine Emperor confiscated the title; and I'm only at 959 from the Old Gods start. My strategy is mostly to get matrilineal marriages with sons low in the succession, and every so often luck into one whose older siblings died before they could inherit.

Also, my relative who was the Duke of Sicily holds a weak claim on the Byzantine Empire, and was at one point involved in a faction to put him on the throne. :stare:

EDIT: Also, the current Emperor of Francia (which holds all of France, Germany and Italy except for Calabria and Lotharingia :confused:) is a descendent of my starting count, but isn't of my dynasty.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
HELL loving YES Jews, imma rep my people, yes to overhauls to vanilla-rear end Christianity, although I pity the poor bastard who's been doing the tutorial LP for Catholics...

...wait, that's me, isn't it. MONKEY'S PAAAAAAAAAAW :argh:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

DStecks posted:

Feudal Muslims and Vikings isn't wrong enough?

When the aztecs land on the shores of my europe, I want the chance to send more than just a disease back at them.

That 35k retinue stack does nothing any more but hunt down rebellions from Scotland to Constantinople, time to take it to Mexico.

edit: VVV That is a cool idea. And I have EUIV as well, anyway. It'd just be cool to watch say a greenland colony wither and die every summer so you have to constantly send boats over there

lenoon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 24, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The folks wanting colonization and exploring the rest of the world really should just play EUIV. That's what the game is about!!

The last time the thought about "your ideal DLC" came up, I mentioned that it would be really cool to have an improved Intrigue DLC. So you could add a whole new "Spy Network" tab to your councilor screen. The effectiveness of your spy network would be dependent on your Spymaster, of course, and the skills of the paid informants and spies that you have in the courts of whoever you want to be spying on. It'd be really fun, I think, to pay off some courtier in a neighboring king's court, and find out things about the local politics, the plots they're hatching, and whether or not that king plans to invade you. Or you could have spies and saboteurs, trained by your spymaster, and send them off to help increase the chances of assassinations and other things. An intrigue DLC could also increase the number of plots available -- the CK2+'s "kidnap" and "accuse of heresy" plots were a great start.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I want an expanded diplomacy system. Alliances that are not based on marriage for example. Of course alliances are one of the major benefits of a strategic marriage, so you would have to limit these other pacts in some way. So you could perhaps sign an alliance with somebody of your culture to defend your lands against other people. Every time character of another culture declares war on you or your ally, they can call the other party in for help. But it would not work on the offense.

Perhaps a system of strategic alliances: Let us attack this guy who holds lands in both our de-jure kingdoms, when we win I get one of the counties that should be mine, you get one that should be yours.

Perhaps an agreement with a neighboring nation: You help me press my claim on this kingdom (that I am currently a vassal of), and for that you get the lands of your de-jure kingdom that my nation currently holds.

Some kind of casus belli where you can help people of your culture. Suppose you are an Italian guy and get a special CB to attack this French king that has Italian vassals. If he looses then all his Italian vassals become independent.

An expanded economic system would be nice as well. And money sinks in the late game for those absurdly rich people. Let me spend 10,000 gold to build a big cathedral named after me that would give my character +0.5 piety/month for the rest of the game, or something like that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

I want an expanded diplomacy system...
Would be nice, but not historic. All those agreements sorta presuppose at least a basic concept of nationalism.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Expand the map to India :getin:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
An expanded diplomacy system could do things like allow for conditional diplomatic offers. Like there's someone in another court who wants to be a chancellor and I want to make him my chancellor, but because he's at only at 60 opinion with me he won't leave his liege who he dislikes in order to come and work for me. 'No reason to move' my rear end, I want to make you a loving chancellor

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Any progamers pulled off the Erik the Heathen start? I tried it now and misfired the first time, and then the second time I randomly converted to catholicism when I was blasting through Finland. Can I avoid the conversion event? I know in the earlier starts you can just imprison the priest, but I think if I am a vassal I don't get a choice if my liege's court chaplain converts me.

Start in September 1066 instead. I don't remember the exact date but Uppland becomes independent between the normal date and September. You won't be at war with the Stenkils or anything, just independent and thus not vulnerable to conversion.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

After realizing I'd never really played as a vassal to anyone I started up a game as the Duke of Flanders in 867. I somehow managed to gain independence after 900AD or so (my first guy lived to be 74 and my drat sons started dying of old age before I did) and I'm barely hanging on. The best part is that all of the Karling bullshit is helping me more than anything else; whenever my liege tries to attack me one of the other 4 Karlings waltzes in and destroys them for me. This is by far the most fun I've had in this game and I might even finish a game for once!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

While there's a lot of aspects in CK2 that I'd love to see expanded (interactive battles, Imperial communes and cities in general, more options for cadet sons, etc.) if the sales dry out and Johan's plan needs shrinking, I'd quite frankly be happy to just buy an indefinite amount of event packs. If Paradox can afford to sell a set of sprites for 2€ and Legacy of Rome for 5€, how many random events and event chains can they script up for a DLC in that price range? A few hundred?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really want the ability to negotiate with people before I press their claims for them. That way you could know for sure ahead of time whether they'd become your vassal instead of trying to figure out the confusing and arcane rules that govern that now.

Or you could ask for other stuff, like gold or an alliance marriage between your kids.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Really I'd just an expac which was basically a shitton more events for stuff like child raising, families, intrigue etc. CK2 has a diverse range of events already but adding in more variety would be lovely.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I suppose it would be neat if you could reach settlements like Henry V did after Agincourt where the current King remains in place during his life, but either I or my heirs inherit thereafter. Which would probably leave (as it did in real life) a pissed off disinherited heir kicking around.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I've said this before, but starting as a landless character could be sooo fantastic if done right. You could have your personal retinue represented as a bunch of upgradable 'buildings' - Like a republican palace, but mobile. They would only (slowly) reinforce free of charge while settled down in a province for long enough, otherwise it'd cost you money (but be quicker).

You could be an adventurer or mercenary for hire, or simply an opportunistic twat. Great fun!

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Gimmick Account posted:

I've said this before, but starting as a landless character could be sooo fantastic if done right. You could have your personal retinue represented as a bunch of upgradable 'buildings' - Like a republican palace, but mobile. They would only (slowly) reinforce free of charge while settled down in a province for long enough, otherwise it'd cost you money (but be quicker).

You could be an adventurer or mercenary for hire, or simply an opportunistic twat. Great fun!

Have you played Mount & Blade? It's pretty much exactly that.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Sindai posted:

I really want the ability to negotiate with people before I press their claims for them. That way you could know for sure ahead of time whether they'd become your vassal instead of trying to figure out the confusing and arcane rules that govern that now.

If you mouse over the CB in the Declare War menu, it specifically tells you "X WILL become your vassal" or "X WILL NOT become your vassal".

(Or maybe that's only a CK2+ thing? It's been a long time since I've played vanilla...)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

FiddlersThree posted:

If you mouse over the CB in the Declare War menu, it specifically tells you "X WILL become your vassal" or "X WILL NOT become your vassal".

(Or maybe that's only a CK2+ thing? It's been a long time since I've played vanilla...)

That's only in CK2+, as I learned to my chagrin when I tried a vanilla game.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

Have you played Mount & Blade? It's pretty much exactly that.

I have over 500 hours of logged Steam playtime for Mount & Blade: Warband. Does it show that much? :shobon:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gimmick Account posted:

I feel like ultimately it'd just be a step down from being a count. Eventually, you're gonna want land.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gimmick Account posted:

What would happen if you died? Or would you have your entire family accompany you as you roamed the lands of Europe, West Asia and the Middle East?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Rincewind posted:

That's only in CK2+, as I learned to my chagrin when I tried a vanilla game.

Vanilla does show you the conditions under which the claimant would become your vassal if you mouse over the claim in the Declare War menu. You're left on your own to figure out whether they meet those conditions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

What would happen if you died? Or would you have your entire family accompany you as you roamed the lands of Europe, West Asia and the Middle East?

Your kid would inherit and you'd play as them, and the exact outcome could depend on circumstance. If you lead a merc band and your son is in the band he might become the leader, while if your son is a non-martial courtier he might just inherit the wealth and not the title. That could give a degree of urgency to the matter, if dying is something of a reset button, you'll be driven to get some land anywhere before you kick the bucket to avoid getting caught in a cycle of permanant landlessness.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ROTK... X? Did have a pretty nice system like that, where you could travel around and chill in any city while all the big lords fought.

You'd chat with any other character that came wandering by, take odd jobs and quests to get money (and retinue troops) and eventually you could crash the door of a lord of your chosing and be like "Yo, I hear you need a general. I'm your man(or woman)!" and start building a career as a henchman of sorts, until you could usurp the lord or be granted a fief of your own and so on.

A bit repetitive for sure, but you could get into awesome PHILOSOPHER DUELS as well as the ordinary halberd kind.

The CK2 engine could proooobably not handle all that though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

I don't know about starting as one, but it would be cool if after losing your last title, instead of game over, you could throw together a Host and burn through whatever gold, piety, prestige and good will you have left to you to assemble as large a force as you could to have one last shot at keeping your throne.

Maybe different things you could do to get more people on your side. Like if there's nasty tax laws maybe you can encourage the peasants to rise up and fight for you in exchange for making things easier for them once you're in power. On the bright side you'd get a load of soldiers to help you, but having the new King beholden to a bunch of filthy peasants isn't going to make the nobility happy.

quote:

The CK2 engine could proooobably not handle all that though.
It already does, though. There are events that give money and honorary titles that provide salaries. Everyone with a title has henchmen in the form of their Council and army generals. A barebones system for this is already in place. After all, the AI does it to me all the time. "oh this guy has high intrigue and we like each other, he can be my spymaster" "oh I have this extra county, well my spymaster has a 100 opinion of me so I guess he can have it" "oh gently caress my spymaster joined the independence faction and where are all these knives coming from oh poo poo arg". Etc.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 24, 2013

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like ultimately it'd just be a step down from being a count. Eventually, you're gonna want land.

That goes without saying. I just don't see this as a problem? Most people like to start out as lowly counts anyway, with the eventual goal of becoming King/Emperor. It would be the same thing, just taken to its logical conclusion.

DrSunshine posted:

Well, I suppose a dashing adventurer could have affairs with young noble women while he was in the same province as them, had an attractive personality, and enough campaigns under his belt to impress them. Obviously, daddy will not approve of his daughter mingling with a landless lowbirth, but that's what you have hilarious event chains for!

Anyway, the bastard children of those unions (or really the children of any union, even with a similarly lowborn camp follower) could take over your mantle when you die, provided they can get enough support from the band.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The landless adventurer proposal would work much better for a nomadic or migratory tribe, since it would fix a long-time omission. Your realm is your army and various tribute-payers, with a mechanic for settling down for non-Mongols.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Apologies if this has been brought up (on a phone right now), but I'm interested to see if SoA implements the fact that Judaism passes matrilineally. So if you marry a gentile woman your son has to go through an event chain where he has to study the Torah so that he can convert.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I doubt it. I get the impression that it's not a rule that would be taken seriously, anyway, for anyone of real importance.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Start in September 1066 instead. I don't remember the exact date but Uppland becomes independent between the normal date and September. You won't be at war with the Stenkils or anything, just independent and thus not vulnerable to conversion.

You're either under Sweden's vassalage or at war with them.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Bishop Rodan posted:

Apologies if this has been brought up (on a phone right now), but I'm interested to see if SoA implements the fact that Judaism passes matrilineally. So if you marry a gentile woman your son has to go through an event chain where he has to study the Torah so that he can convert.

Strudel Man posted:

I doubt it. I get the impression that it's not a rule that would be taken seriously, anyway, for anyone of real importance.

Its a rule that conservative Jews follow to this day, though I'm not sure when it started. If I'm correct my friend, a Jew dating a horrid gentile who must convert, told me that it started because of infidelity and because you can make sure someone's parent is Jewish by virtue of you always know the mother of a child.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Rapdawg posted:

Its a rule that conservative Jews follow to this day, though I'm not sure when it started. If I'm correct my friend, a Jew dating a horrid gentile who must convert, told me that it started because of infidelity and because you can make sure someone's parent is Jewish by virtue of you always know the mother of a child.
That's all well and good, but I don't think anyone was telling the Khazar Jewish kings that their sons aren't really Jewish if they happened to marry someone from one of the other million faiths in the region.

It's a pretty silly thing to begin with, since if the kid is raised in the Jewish religious tradition, what the hell else is their faith going to be? Has less to do with their actual religion and more to do with acceptance by an established church, to the extent that it's even something to worry about.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

It's a pretty silly thing to begin with, since if the kid is raised in the Jewish religious tradition, what the hell else is their faith going to be? Has less to do with their actual religion and more to do with acceptance by an established church, to the extent that it's even something to worry about.
It's very silly, but it seriously is a real thing even to this day. Israel will hassle the everloving gently caress out of you if you want to immigrate but your mom wasn't Jewish.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

It's very silly, but it seriously is a real thing even to this day. Israel will hassle the everloving gently caress out of you if you want to immigrate but your mom wasn't Jewish.
That's very true, but it's not 1200 AD, and my dad isn't the duke of Austria, so I don't think it's particularly pertinent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

CapnAndy posted:

HELL loving YES Jews, imma rep my people, yes to overhauls to vanilla-rear end Christianity, although I pity the poor bastard who's been doing the tutorial LP for Catholics...

...wait, that's me, isn't it. MONKEY'S PAAAAAAAAAAW :argh:

Make it an AAR on the Paradox forums and make sure you take over all Balkan countries and any other crazy nationalists on that forum to make them really, really mad please.

• Locked thread