Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Enzer posted:

No you are correct, that is for 1.7, that was posted a little before the first 1.7 snapshot.

On their main blog post for 1.7.1 it states "It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update".

1.7 has beat the poo poo out of the code. Let us ignore that a good part of the lighting and rendering engine was rewritten from scratch, but the netcode (now using Netty) and the sound engine (what little of one there was, hey now they have actual sound events!) being completely rewritten from scratch, a huge deal of the game was tinkered around with in what the devs heavily pushed as "prep work for API integration", a lot of this also had the side benefit of making command blocks loving insane in what they are able to pull off.

So yeah, 1.7 might just be the largest hurdle modders will have had to get over, however the game so very much needed these improvements, clean ups and rewrites.

I got a strong feeling that a lot of mods that were on the verge of being in the graveyard are going to be firmly put into the ground if they haven't updated by now.

Yeah, this will be the largest mod culling yet. RIP old mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Yeah, this will be the largest mod culling yet. RIP old mods.

Hey, maybe people will finally accept that RP2 is gone. :v:

VVVV
You jest (I think..), but I still know people who literally refuse to upgrade MC b/c they do not want to lose RP2 despite the fact that there are such better alternatives.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 24, 2013

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Enzer posted:

Hey, maybe people will finally accept that RP2 is gone. :v:

SHUT THE gently caress UP 1.3.2 FOREVER

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I've managed to get a server up and running smoothly, but I still have one major issue. There is a distinct lack of ore in the world. As in we're averaging 4 or 5 iron ore per iron pickaxe used in branch mining at y=11. Between 3 players, we've only found 5 diamonds total, absolutely no lapiz, less than 20 gold total, less than 2 stacks of redstone, and less than 3 stacks of coal. We've found some TC tin and copper as well, but less than half a stack of each.

I'm using Millenaire, Treecapitator, Artifice, Biomes'O'Plenty, Ender Storage, Iron Chests, Natura, Tinker's Construct, and Twilight Forest. I suspect it's Biomes'O'Plenty or Tinker's Construct, but I don't see any config options for either that would affect vanilla spawn rates, and except for enabling the new biomes to spawn in the default world type and turning off Millenaire village generation, I've left all of the configs for every mod untouched. Anyone have any ideas?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I'm still a little bummed that Tekkit & BigDig don't have industrialcraft scaffolding anymore. That was pretty much the only part of that mod I used. Anyone know of a good alternative?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'm still a little bummed that Tekkit & BigDig don't have industrialcraft scaffolding anymore. That was pretty much the only part of that mod I used. Anyone know of a good alternative?

Shukaro's mod, Artifice, adds scaffolds. I'm fairly certain it's in BigDig by default, but I'm not totally sure.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Enzer posted:

You jest (I think..), but I still know people who literally refuse to upgrade MC b/c they do not want to lose RP2 despite the fact that there are such better alternatives.
There are?

I remember building a giant machine that would strip rows of wheat from fields, sort and then replant the seeds. Or a one that would breed cows and poo poo the little tykes out with a piston. Or a machine that would replant trees, bonemeal them and then buzzsaw them down with a mechanical arm.

I know there are mods that autofarm and stuff, but it was never about getting more wheat, cows, or even wood. It was about loving around with a virtual Meccano set and seeing what stupid poo poo you could come up with. It's the frames that made it, flawed though they were.

I'm not sure there's anything quite like that presently, if there is I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: Computercraft maybe.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 24, 2013

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
1.7 is the on that changes air from a null block to an actual entity right? and mods don't have to gently caress around with overlapping block ID's?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Enzer posted:

No you are correct, that is for 1.7, that was posted a little before the first 1.7 snapshot.

On their main blog post for 1.7.1 it states "It feels like we’ve been working on this for a year now, with more than half a million lines of code changed over 1,104 commits we’ve been working extremely hard on this update".

1.7 has beat the poo poo out of the code. Let us ignore that a good part of the lighting and rendering engine was rewritten from scratch, but the netcode (now using Netty) and the sound engine (what little of one there was, hey now they have actual sound events!) being completely rewritten from scratch, a huge deal of the game was tinkered around with in what the devs heavily pushed as "prep work for API integration", a lot of this also had the side benefit of making command blocks loving insane in what they are able to pull off.

So yeah, 1.7 might just be the largest hurdle modders will have had to get over, however the game so very much needed these improvements, clean ups and rewrites.

I got a strong feeling that a lot of mods that were on the verge of being in the graveyard are going to be firmly put into the ground if they haven't updated by now.

Figure I should respond to this, just so we're clear about TE specifically. (I'm aware you didn't call me out or anything, I'd just like to derail this train early.) What happened this summer is that TE was in the middle of a huge rewrite when 1.6 decided to drop, and then life flipped upside down. We'll be releasing for 1.6, and then porting to 1.7. In regard to the one "huge" commit, that was them internally refactoring the "Tile" class to the "Block" class - something MCP has done for a long time already. They may have renamed "TileEntity" to "BlockEntity" as well. These change tremendous amounts of code, but have relatively little impact.

Basically, I wouldn't expect this to be as horrible as 1.2.5 was. Give mods a month after Forge updates. 1.6 was also likewise some fairly minor changes; some of us just got caught off guard with the timing.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

1.7 is the on that changes air from a null block to an actual entity right? and mods don't have to gently caress around with overlapping block ID's?

Yes, and from my eyes this is a huge thing; I can't tell you how many times I've had to negotiate block id conflicts when trying to put together a modpack. It pretty much shut me down for a couple of weeks in the past.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
On an unrelated note, has anyone who's downloaded my new TFC pack had any crash errors? Someone I know said it crashed every time on launch and someone in the comments was having trouble as well. I've double checked and redownloaded the pack and everything looks fine on my end.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It feels like there have been one or two waves of modders that have dropped off the scene due to various things and updates to Minecraft. I guess my view is that while we might lose some at 1.7, we'd probably end up gaining new ones as well. It seems a little ridiculous how people sometimes scream that a single update will be "the death of Minecraft modding" or the such. Not that much of the community can really be defined by their great wisdom and rational thought.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

HiKaizer posted:

It feels like there have been one or two waves of modders that have dropped off the scene due to various things and updates to Minecraft. I guess my view is that while we might lose some at 1.7, we'd probably end up gaining new ones as well. It seems a little ridiculous how people sometimes scream that a single update will be "the death of Minecraft modding" or the such. Not that much of the community can really be defined by their great wisdom and rational thought.

I really like these updates because it culls the mods that need to be cut and forces the community to move forward. The community kicking and screaming while it's dragged toward progress is one of my favorite things :getin:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to say though, even if it results in some mods dying off, it sounds like all the big changes were desperately needed. Better performance throughout, better lighting speed and fewer bugs, vastly improved netcode, and easier mod ID resolution? That's some incredible progress.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Then again I don't know how much you can read into that "X many files changed..." comment, cos I'm fairly sure one of the changes involved changing "Tile" to "Block" in the code which changes a LOT of files... but that wouldn't make much difference after it's been through the obfuscator. Stuff will have moved around for sure, and the null block thing is a big one, but I'm guessing that amount of files changed doesn't imply anything huge structurally has changed with the code. So I wouldn't be surprised if mods rebound a bit easier off this one than people are thinking.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HauntedRobot posted:

Then again I don't know how much you can read into that "X many files changed..." comment, cos I'm fairly sure one of the changes involved changing "Tile" to "Block" in the code which changes a LOT of files... but that wouldn't make much difference after it's been through the obfuscator. Stuff will have moved around for sure, and the null block thing is a big one, but I'm guessing that amount of files changed doesn't imply anything huge structurally has changed with the code. So I wouldn't be surprised if mods rebound a bit easier off this one than people are thinking.

Yeah the whole "x files changed" isn't what makes the update big. It's the removal of block id's, rewriting of the netcode, renderer improvements, and on the non-technobabble side, big biome improvements.

Puppyblood
Dec 19, 2007

Is there a list of which mods are required at world creation?

I want to start a new server once 1.7 is out .. which of the big mods are required to be run at creation. Or can they all be added later on as they will become updated/available for 1.7?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Puppyblood posted:

I want to start a new server once 1.7 is out .. which of the big mods are required to be run at creation. Or can they all be added later on as they will become updated/available for 1.7?

Anything that adds its own ores/biomes/worldgen structures and doesn't have the option to retroactively generate is what you'd want to have in at initial worldgen.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

KingLemming posted:

Figure I should respond to this, just so we're clear about TE specifically. (I'm aware you didn't call me out or anything, I'd just like to derail this train early.) What happened this summer is that TE was in the middle of a huge rewrite when 1.6 decided to drop, and then life flipped upside down. We'll be releasing for 1.6, and then porting to 1.7. In regard to the one "huge" commit, that was them internally refactoring the "Tile" class to the "Block" class - something MCP has done for a long time already. They may have renamed "TileEntity" to "BlockEntity" as well. These change tremendous amounts of code, but have relatively little impact.

Basically, I wouldn't expect this to be as horrible as 1.2.5 was. Give mods a month after Forge updates. 1.6 was also likewise some fairly minor changes; some of us just got caught off guard with the timing.

See, this is what I was suspecting, there has just been a few, very loud, modders who have been making 1.7 out to be the end of the world for modding. Then there is the second group, like yourself, who down play it a lot more and say that the patch is more or less reasonable to deal with and that a lot of the changes are welcome. Hard to get a good feel on an update since I myself do not mod MC, good to hear this from one of the more level headed and professional types in the community.

Honestly, one of the things I am most excited for is that they are moving away from static IDs, I know they are technically still there in 1.7 (you can call Minecraft:Stone or ID 1:0 and both will be accepted in 1.7), purely to give modders time to prepare for this change, but goddamn did this need to be done a long time ago.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Puppyblood posted:

If you want to play 1.7, you'll have to skip most mods for quite a while. A few small/fast ones will update within a few days, but most will take at least a couple weeks, and a large portion could take a month or more.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Enzer posted:

but the netcode (now using Netty)

What is netty because any improvement to the netcode can only be good.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

wargames posted:

What is netty because any improvement to the netcode can only be good.

They explain it better than I would:
This is their webpage, this is their Github.

Their core dev is Norman Maurer, who helped the MC dev team.

Netty is a very good choice, Spiggot (the more or less server performance oriented version of bukkit) uses Netty.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wylker posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP 1.3.2 FOREVER

1.2.5 is clearly the superior classic modded Minecraft version. Somnia, EE2, Greestone Wire, RP2, Thaumcraft 2 (liquid Vis!) far fewer nerfs.... I think Somnia is the real clincher; I makes for an entirely different single player base building game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rutibex posted:

1.2.5 is clearly the superior classic modded Minecraft version. Somnia, EE2, Greestone Wire, RP2, Thaumcraft 2 (liquid Vis!) far fewer nerfs.... I think Somnia is the real clincher; I makes for an entirely different single player base building game.

I haven't played much of it, but does Thaumcraft 4 not have any liquid that needs to be piped around? One of my fondest things about TC2 was running glowing pipe networks all over the place.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
No pipes, but you distil it in a pretty great way, by boiling materials in an arcane furnace and using alembics to distil it with a slow, steady drip into arcane jars.

As a lover of Thaumcraft 2, its a nice thing to have. :unsmith:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1938500-164forgesmp-somnia-simulating-the-world-while-you-sleep/
Somnia is in 1.6.4!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dare I ask what the purpose of that mod is, aside from making things even easier?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Serifina posted:

Dare I ask what the purpose of that mod is, aside from making things even easier?

Lets you reduce wait time via simulating the world at a higher speed. Which seems to me could have it usages.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:aaa: Sweet! I now have a reson to stop playing 1.5.2.

Edit: He's backported it to 1.5.2, it remains the best version of Minecraft :v:

Serifina posted:

If you prefer to play single player then it allows you to simulate the experience of a multiplayer game where your machines keep running all day.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 26, 2013

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ok, I have a problem with my custom modpack and server.

It have been running nicely for quite a while, until we started a new map.
Added extra biomes, carpenter blocks and Reliquary, then just removed the old world.

Now, the server is slowly heading for 100% CPU and RAM usage, and tonight, it plainly refused to restart.

Server is hosted through fragnet, and their "Uncrash my server" thing managed to kill it. But I can't seem to restart it and join it.

Tried copying the world over to my computer to test it in single player, but it just goes back to main menu, and if I try to enter it again (single player), it crashes after a brief "Shutting down internal server".

This is the forge modloader log file from my computer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11401347/Minecraft/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

Modpack:
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/dunno-pack.72081

Can you please help me revive this?
Thanks!

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm using Luddite 4 (thanks to whoever shared that pack) and it is also my first experience with Biomes O' Plenty... that poo poo is crazy! :stare:

Anyone have good, wacky seeds for BOP? Something that has a spawn area ripe for colonizing but also close proximity to crazy biomes. Bonus points if there is a village nearby.

Also, using Luddite 4, what is the typical progression for a new game? This is my first time using most of the mods in the pack but I've been reading up on them and now I think I'm suffering from information overload. Can I utilize any of the mods for making the early-game any easier? I noticed Barley can grow in the wild as another source for wheat, so that is pretty cool.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

TheDK posted:

I'm using Luddite 4 (thanks to whoever shared that pack) and it is also my first experience with Biomes O' Plenty... that poo poo is crazy! :stare:

Anyone have good, wacky seeds for BOP? Something that has a spawn area ripe for colonizing but also close proximity to crazy biomes. Bonus points if there is a village nearby.

Also, using Luddite 4, what is the typical progression for a new game? This is my first time using most of the mods in the pack but I've been reading up on them and now I think I'm suffering from information overload. Can I utilize any of the mods for making the early-game any easier? I noticed Barley can grow in the wild as another source for wheat, so that is pretty cool.

I'd say spend a bit gathering basic resources and shitloads of ink and paper, then make a thaumometer and scan things for a couple days, way pointing nodes for future use at the same time. After that you're good to hole up and play the research mini game until you can't stand it anymore at which point you can make an internal furnace for ore processing and maybe an infusion altar and whatever other thaumcraft goodies you want and begin looking at the other mods in the pack.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDK posted:

Luddite is pretty simple, go get a shovel and get a stack of clay, sand, gravel, make yourself some grout, and turn that into seared brick. While that's plunking away, start mining out 36 iron. When you get back, make yourself a toolforge. then use 27 cobble to make a stone hammer and rub a diamond in it with the tool forge. Now you can mine quick as balls. After that use your left over brick to make a smeltery, and start to mine up aluminum, iron, obsidian, and copper. Make some casts, and brew up an Alumnite hammer, now take that fabulous pink hammer you can use that for general mining, then go into thaumcraft.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'd say spend a bit gathering basic resources and shitloads of ink and paper, then make a thaumometer and scan things for a couple days, way pointing nodes for future use at the same time. After that you're good to hole up and play the research mini game until you can't stand it anymore at which point you can make an internal furnace for ore processing and maybe an infusion altar and whatever other thaumcraft goodies you want and begin looking at the other mods in the pack.

Turtlicious posted:

Luddite is pretty simple, go get a shovel and get a stack of clay, sand, gravel, make yourself some grout, and turn that into seared brick. While that's plunking away, start mining out 36 iron. When you get back, make yourself a toolforge. then use 27 cobble to make a stone hammer and rub a diamond in it with the tool forge. Now you can mine quick as balls. After that use your left over brick to make a smeltery, and start to mine up aluminum, iron, obsidian, and copper. Make some casts, and brew up an Alumnite hammer, now take that fabulous pink hammer you can use that for general mining, then go into thaumcraft.
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks to you both.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TheDK posted:

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks to you both.

When you get settled in, read this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post420704091

Might help you over any speedbumps with thuamcraft 4

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shadowmorn posted:

When you get settled in, read this:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561897&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=37#post420704091

Might help you over any speedbumps with thuamcraft 4

That doesn't go very far into researching. Here are some important tips:
1. The path is one-way. You need to start at the first dot and go to each other one in turn. You can't split the beam.
2. The path cuts corners to connect to symbols rather than dots. To avoid this, put inert symbols in the way of the shortest path.
3. If you count all the unique symbols, you can often tell which ones will activate and which ones are red herrings. Then you can move symbols into position before spending rare research points, and avoid having to spend points toggling them.
4. Don't be afraid to try shoving obviously unrelated aspects in that you have a lot of. Removing red herrings is useful too.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Preem Palver posted:

I've managed to get a server up and running smoothly, but I still have one major issue. There is a distinct lack of ore in the world. As in we're averaging 4 or 5 iron ore per iron pickaxe used in branch mining at y=11. Between 3 players, we've only found 5 diamonds total, absolutely no lapiz, less than 20 gold total, less than 2 stacks of redstone, and less than 3 stacks of coal. We've found some TC tin and copper as well, but less than half a stack of each.

I'm using Millenaire, Treecapitator, Artifice, Biomes'O'Plenty, Ender Storage, Iron Chests, Natura, Tinker's Construct, and Twilight Forest. I suspect it's Biomes'O'Plenty or Tinker's Construct, but I don't see any config options for either that would affect vanilla spawn rates, and except for enabling the new biomes to spawn in the default world type and turning off Millenaire village generation, I've left all of the configs for every mod untouched. Anyone have any ideas?

Probably overlooked due to the 1.7 announcement, but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I'm just too used to Big Dig, but less than half a stack of iron, a stack of redstone, and a single cluster of diamond ore per double chest of branch mining output seems a little low. We still have yet to find a single piece of lapis ore, and at this point I've redone the entire modpack (same mods, but the first time it was essentially a modified Luddite 4 [thanks/sorry fondue!]), adding each mod one at a time, combing over the config, and have started an entirely new map. The largest difference is that my new map is running with world=BIOMEOP type instead of world=default with Biomes'O'Plenty biomes enabled. Mod configs are completely default, except for turning off default millenaire village generation and turning off treecapitator's "take longer to chop down a tree than chopping each block individually" setting. I wouldn't even really care, except that we can't even find enough ore to get tinker's construct started. It seems pretty ridiculous that after several hours of branch mining between 4 players that we don't want to use enough iron to construct a tool forge. Even if we made metal tools through Tinker's Construct, we don't have any lapis or enough redstone to actually make the investment worth it. I don't want it to feel too easy, but surely after several hours of mining you should have enough diamonds/iron to at least craft some armor?

VVVVVV
We're not finding anything with any method of mining. Regular spelunking yields a bit more iron and copper ore than simply branch mining at Y=11, but we literally cannot find enough ore to regularly use anything other than vanilla stone tools. I honestly have no idea what's causing it; 5 diamonds and no lapis in several hours of spelunking between 4 players (2 branch miners and two cave explorers) is just ridiculous, especially when nothing should be affecting vanilla ore spawn rates.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 26, 2013

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Preem Palver posted:

Probably overlooked due to the 1.7 announcement, but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I'm just too used to Big Dig, but less than half a stack of iron, a stack of redstone, and a single cluster of diamond ore per double chest of branch mining output seems a little low. We still have yet to find a single piece of lapis ore, and at this point I've redone the entire modpack (same mods, but the first time it was essentially a modified Luddite 4 [thanks/sorry fondue!]), adding each mod one at a time, combing over the config, and have started an entirely new map. The largest difference is that my new map is running with world=BIOMEOP type instead of world=default with Biomes'O'Plenty biomes enabled. Mod configs are completely default, except for turning off default millenaire village generation and turning off treecapitator's "take longer to chop down a tree than chopping each block individually" setting. I wouldn't even really care, except that we can't even find enough ore to get tinker's construct started. It seems pretty ridiculous that after several hours of branch mining between 4 players that we don't want to use enough iron to construct a tool forge. Even if we made metal tools through Tinker's Construct, we don't have any lapis or enough redstone to actually make the investment worth it. I don't want it to feel too easy, but surely after several hours of mining you should have enough diamonds/iron to at least craft some armor?

Why are you branch mining? Find some caves, you see new block faces much faster that way, and thus can find ore faster. Granted, that doesn't work as well for diamonds, as at the depth they spawn the caves start to get filled with lava.

massecurr
Dec 15, 2012
anyone know why I cant add OMP-A to the technic launcher and if theirs no way to, a good alternative modpack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

massecurr posted:

anyone know why I cant add OMP-A to the technic launcher and if theirs no way to, a good alternative modpack?

OMP-A is on indefinite hiatus and the server the pack was coming from had to be taken down due to traffic and cost. Hexxit is good to play with.

• Locked thread