Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

If it is necessary or recommended, what should I use?
Only if your IT department requires it, otherwise no. I believe Java remains the biggest exploit opportunity on OS X, especially now that Flash is sandboxed in Safari 7. I don't have Java installed on my Macs, but if you need to use it just be sure to double-check any time something Java related wants to interact with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only if your IT department requires it, otherwise no. I believe Java remains the biggest exploit opportunity on OS X, especially now that Flash is sandboxed in Safari 7. I don't have Java installed on my Macs, but if you need to use it just be sure to double-check any time something Java related wants to interact with you.

That reminds me that I'm infuriated by Adobe CS5 requiring Java.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Turnquiet posted:

This may be the stupidest of newbie questions, but is antimalware on the mac recommended? I just realized that the two macs I used at work had mcafee as part of the standard image, but my imac at home is without.

If it is necessary or recommended, what should I use?

Are you in a PCI environment? Do you touch PCI data? It's required.

If not, you're mostly ok without or with just ClamXAV.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Does anyone use Numbers? I tried it for a bit last night and it is nowhere close to Excel. I was hoping to save money by not buying Office 2011 but ended up forking over the dough to Microsoft. I'm going to give it another good try and see if I can convert myself for personal use and maybe avoid buying Office 2014.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Nah, work stuff is work stuff on work macs with GPOs and the works and my imac is at home. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving myself totally open to vulnerabilities.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

vty posted:

That makes the image an attachment, though. I want it inline (as in mixed with the text).

Previously I would click "Picture" and it would open Finder and let me pick an image. Now it opens this iPhoto thing and the "iPhoto Preview" that pops up doesn't show any of my images that have been moved into iPhoto (which I don't want to ever have to do anyway).

Fake Edit: All of a sudden my "Photo from File" is no longer greyed out. I should've mentioned that, the second option when I click "Picture" was Photo from File which was grey yesterday.

So I'm golden now. This Photo Browser thing still doesn't populate my images, but I'll never click that button again.

There's literally no difference between an image dropped in from the image browser brought up by that photo button, and and image dropped in from Finder or iPhoto (or anywhere else). You want it inline with text, drop it inline with the text. The only time Mail will force them to the bottom of the email is if you have explicitly enabled "Always insert attachments at end of message" (Edit > Attachments). On that note, inline images ARE attachments. There's no reason attachments have to come at the end of the email, except to satisfy some ancient inflexible email clients.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. Here's a better link and explanation. So I guess it's time to retire Mail completely now and stick to the web version.

So I've disabled Mail (removed my Gmail account) and now I'm back to using the web interface. It's not great because my contacts are in iCloud but it'll do for now until the .1 release and hopefully Mail is improved somehow. Anyway, I just got an email (in the Gmail site) with an email link. I'd expect that clicking on it, since I'm within the Gmail website, would open a window for me to email that person. But instead it just opens Mail and asks me to add an account. Is there a way to make it so clicking email links (at least within Gmail itself) will let me compose an email in Gmail?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dzarc posted:

Does anyone use Numbers? I tried it for a bit last night and it is nowhere close to Excel. I was hoping to save money by not buying Office 2011 but ended up forking over the dough to Microsoft. I'm going to give it another good try and see if I can convert myself for personal use and maybe avoid buying Office 2014.

It kind of depends what you need to use Excel for. Any kind of programming related stuff is probably not going to be available, but it looks like there are a fair number of functions built in for simple stuff.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

dzarc posted:

I think it depends on what you are using it for. I use excel for finance, so numbers and even Mac excel are out of the question, I have to bootcamp into windows and use that excel, which can be annoying. I just wish that both versions of excel were identical.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Is there any way to get the 2D style Dock on the bottom? You used to be able to edit the .plist but that doesn't work anymore and I don't like the shiny 3D shelf style.

e: in Mavericks, I mean.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Magic Mango posted:

Is there any way to get the 2D style Dock on the bottom? You used to be able to edit the .plist but that doesn't work anymore and I don't like the shiny 3D shelf style.

e: in Mavericks, I mean.

Move it to the left and watch it blow your mind as it becomes white

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I've disabled Mail (removed my Gmail account) and now I'm back to using the web interface. It's not great because my contacts are in iCloud but it'll do for now until the .1 release and hopefully Mail is improved somehow. Anyway, I just got an email (in the Gmail site) with an email link. I'd expect that clicking on it, since I'm within the Gmail website, would open a window for me to email that person. But instead it just opens Mail and asks me to add an account. Is there a way to make it so clicking email links (at least within Gmail itself) will let me compose an email in Gmail?

There are browser extensions for every browser that directs mail to links to Gmail if you want.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the newest iWork and iLife are apparently all free to previous owners (and sort of owners). I think this is a great move because Apple wants people to adopt their iCloud enabled apps and encourage buying devices in their ecosystem (so iPads instead of other tablets).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The system is a bit broken right now and also handing out free MAS versions of Aperture to anyone who still has their hands on the trial .dmg. It hasn't been on Apple's website in ages, but I'm sure it's still floating around.

Oops.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sort of feel like the beginning of Tron Legacy became reality.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 24, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The system is a bit broken right now and also handing out free MAS versions of Aperture to anyone who still has their hands on the trial .dmg. It hasn't been on Apple's website in ages, but I'm sure it's still floating around.

Oops.

I figure that the reason it took so long to migrate people from pre MAS software to the equivalent MAS versions was because they never could figure out a solution to the piracy problem. Now they just don't give a crap. :v:

Someone from Apple? posted:

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.

Speaking of MAS Updates, iMovie absolutely refuses to stop trying to update / install itself over and over and over again. I even deleted both the old and new versions from my computer and it still is trying to download it again.

<edit>

God dammit now Pages, Keynote, and iPhoto are all trying to download again. Is the App Store / Software Update completely hosed for anyone else?

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 24, 2013

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Bob Morales posted:

Side-Dock is unnatural and makes me feel like the icons might slide off at any time. I just want that same look at the bottom. :saddowns:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Magic Mango posted:

Side-Dock is unnatural and makes me feel like the icons might slide off at any time. I just want that same look at the bottom. :saddowns:

Ever since 16:10 I have been a fan of side-dock. 16:9 makes it a requirement.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So do I need to update my development machine from the original golden master to the new, improved goldener master?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Last Chance posted:

So do I need to update my development machine from the original golden master to the new, improved goldener master?
Yes. Go back a few pages for instructions if you can't get it to download from the MAS, otherwise move the installer over from another machine or use USB installation media.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Two (kinda nit-picky) things:

1. The background on folders that pop out of the side dock have the old dock background, which does the double-duty of not matching the new white dock and taunting those of us who preferred the old look.

2. The new Safari doesn't seem to want to reload previously navigated pages when I swipe back to them. I like to browse new posts on SA from the UserCP, and it used to be the case that the "go to new posts" links on the UserCP would be updated every time I swiped back to it, but now no-dice. I have to command-R to get updated "new post" counts. It's no big deal, I just click the "User Control Panel" link at the bottom of the threads now, but swiping back to the UserCP was a little more convenient.

Bob Morales posted:

I don't have a secondary monitor anymore, but if I did, can the dock location be placed independently on each monitor? Obviously you can't (or shouldn't) be able to place it on the transition edge, but it would stand to reason if the docks can be placed on opposite sides, correct?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

I've been right side-dock since 800x600 on the first iBook made the bottom impossible. Back then you had to change the plist yourself to move it. :v:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Arrowsmith posted:

I don't have a secondary monitor anymore, but if I did, can the dock location be placed independently on each monitor?
Doesn't look like it to me.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Bob Morales posted:

Rabble rabble new white 2d dock sucks rabble rabble

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 24, 2013

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Woops, double post.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Oneiros posted:

I figure that the reason it took so long to migrate people from pre MAS software to the equivalent MAS versions was because they never could figure out a solution to the piracy problem. Now they just don't give a crap. :v:

Speaking of MAS Updates, iMovie absolutely refuses to stop trying to update / install itself over and over and over again. I even deleted both the old and new versions from my computer and it still is trying to download it again.

<edit>

God dammit now Pages, Keynote, and iPhoto are all trying to download again. Is the App Store / Software Update completely hosed for anyone else?

I'm having the same problem. Annoying as hell ain't it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

jeeves posted:

Rabble rabble new white 2d dock sucks rabble rabble

Yeah, I really don't get that choice… surely they must have noticed the awful contrast this creates. :confused:
I suppose that some mechanism for changing it will develop that doesn't rely on byte-hacking system files, but come on! It shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tippis posted:

Yeah, I really don't get that choice… surely they must have noticed the awful contrast this creates. :confused:
I suppose that some mechanism for changing it will develop that doesn't rely on byte-hacking system files, but come on! It shouldn't have been an issue to begin with.

I keep getting bugged by it in the corner of my screen all day at work, and I am sure something will come up to fix it, but yeah it is pretty terrible especially with the blue folder icon color schemes.

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple posted:

It’s no coincidence that Apple’s support site doesn’t have downloads for the new Aperture, iWork, and iLife updates. They aren’t in our Software Update system either – and there’s a good reason for that. With Mavericks, we have changed the way we distribute updates for legacy versions of our apps

Rather than maintain separate updates for these in addition to the Mac App Store versions of each app, Apple has decided to eliminate their legacy software update system for apps entirely. Instead, when Mavericks discovers legacy apps installed on your Mac, it provisions them as a Mac App Store purchase using your Apple ID. It saves us a lot of time, effort, and bandwidth. After the provision is complete, it will appear in your Mac App Store history as though you have purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

While we are aware that this enables piracy of our apps for unethical users, Apple has never taken a strong stance or action against piracy in the past. We like to believe that our users are honest, even if that belief is in vain.
source

TLDR; happy :filez:, Apple does not care.

e:fb. sorry, I missed the posting above.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I remember when the dock was changed in 10.5 people used a hack to change the background image of the dock to get the old one back. Has anyone poked around to see if this is possible on 10.9 with the side dock?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Are all these crappy peripheral apps that Adobe sprinkles over your applications folder safe to delete? I want to simply trash them and leave just the photoshop and illustrator folders, because those are what I actually told the installer to install, dammit adobe!

Same goes for office 2011 I guess, with microsoft communicator and all that...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Are all these crappy peripheral apps that Adobe sprinkles over your applications folder safe to delete? I want to simply trash them and leave just the photoshop and illustrator folders, because those are what I actually told the installer to install, dammit adobe!

I deleted a lot of the Office junk no problem. There were a lot more scattered preference files than there should have been, so using something like AppZapper might be a good idea.

You can always roll back with Time Machine if something breaks. (if you're using TM, obviously.)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Most of them can be nuked pretty safely. The installers it dumps in the Utilities folder are probably best left alone, though, since you might need those to make CreativeCloud behave properly again if it begins flaking out.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

vikingstrike posted:

I remember when the dock was changed in 10.5 people used a hack to change the background image of the dock to get the old one back. Has anyone poked around to see if this is possible on 10.9 with the side dock?

This whole dock thing will be a non-issue if something like Docker gets updated for Mavericks. It was great under ML.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I noticed in Pages, I used to be able to just CMD-B and proceed to type, now I have to type and then bold it after the fact. Maybe it will be fixed. I also feel they made bullets work less good in my view.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dragging images out of Chrome and onto the Desktop now opens up the Desktop as a folder in Finder now. Whyyyy!?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Craptacular! posted:

Dragging images out of Chrome and onto the Desktop now opens up the Desktop as a folder in Finder now. Whyyyy!?
It's only Chrome, works fine in Safari. It's possible something just needs to be updated in Chrome as they might've been using a weird API for that stuff.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Craptacular! posted:

Doesn't do this for me. But I upgraded from Mountain Lion so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm having a weird bug since I upgraded to Maverick. Sometimes when I wake up my computer some windows appear stuck to the top. When I try to move them they return to the top of the same screen, even if I drag them to other screen. Anyone else seen this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mercurius posted:

It's only Chrome, works fine in Safari. It's possible something just needs to be updated in Chrome as they might've been using a weird API for that stuff.

Fixed, sort of. Chrome 31 (beta channel) doesn't do this.