Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I haven't been getting the Hex updates in my email, which is odd since it's not like I used a different kickstarter account and I double checked I actually have my DC tier.

Has me a little concerned I might miss my invite when it finally comes time. Is there a good email to ask through about it?

edit: After more searching, I paypal'd for my DC tier instead of going through the kickstarter which would explain why I'm not getting the KS updates I guess. Though odd they're forgetting to keep the paypal sponsors updated.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I'd make sure they're not going to your spam folder. At one point, GMail just decided that all the e-mails I was getting from Twitch were spam, and I didn't realize for a while. Also, go to your Kickstarter settings and make sure you're set to recieve e-mail updates from them.

As for the actual alpha invite, it will be from Cryptozoic themselves rather than Kickstarter, so it shouldn't be an issue, unless it also gets intercepted by your spam filter. Just keep an eye on news. I'm certain there'll be a fair bit of activity in this thread once the second invite wave goes out.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:siren:BIG NEWS:siren: http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

Actually not all that big? tl;dr they're partnering with a couple online publishing/distribution houses to help deal w/ the backend infrastructure & going global. Unclear if this means one of the two will handle the US distribution/hosting, or if Crypto is still doing that but just doesn't have to handle all the overseas traffic now. (I may also just have skimmed it too fast.)

Oh, I guess "we're letting in the $250 tier people starting today" is kinda big if you're in that bracket v:shobon:v

it's ok, I have Hearthstone to tide me over until Kings get in...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

^--also, the regions will be kind of seperated.

quote:

Some markets will have different pricing and offer some region specific PVE content to appeal to local tastes or adhere to local standards.
[...]
So, yes, you will be able to play with your friend in Vietnam and your cousin in Germany on the tournament server.

Outside of these tournament servers, each walled garden will be a separate reality. They will each have their own economy, in-game items and accounts. All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Interesting stuff, here. Not HOLY poo poo NEWS as we were lead to believe, but this has good implications for stability. Maybe I'll try out for that Hex apprentice thing. I'm sure my job will be safe for the 3 months I'll be gone if I get in. :v:

That said, time to play some goddamn Hex alpha test!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Adar posted:

They were thinking they'd get 300K as a last ditch funding bridge and got 2M+, then had to adjust their business requirements to match the stretch goals, hire more people, and plan for a rollout to tens of thousands instead of dozens, all of which pushed back the timeframes. Check my old posts ITT - I'm honestly impressed they made October with anything and would've bet December before it came out.

I'm not angry or anything.

What I'm saying is they speculated a BETA would start in Sept. We got a REALLY rough Alpha in October.

My only point is it's not even close to Beta quality yet and their estimates were significantly off, not just a little bit. In any case, I'm glad they have committed to taking a longer time to move to the beta stage, and I'm confident that they can get the game into a state where it is fun to play.

4 of my last 5 games couldn't complete, due to I'm not sure what, but probably pass priority bugs? Once my opponent [AI] got stuck at his discard phase with 8 cards in hand. Anyways, what I am surprised at is that they ever thought that would be at beta quality as early as September. Seems that was a serious misjudgment of the actual amount of work they had left to accomplish.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitprophet posted:

:siren:BIG NEWS:siren: http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

Actually not all that big? tl;dr they're partnering with a couple online publishing/distribution houses to help deal w/ the backend infrastructure & going global. Unclear if this means one of the two will handle the US distribution/hosting, or if Crypto is still doing that but just doesn't have to handle all the overseas traffic now. (I may also just have skimmed it too fast.)

Oh, I guess "we're letting in the $250 tier people starting today" is kinda big if you're in that bracket v:shobon:v

it's ok, I have Hearthstone to tide me over until Kings get in...

Getting Alan Comer on board is pretty big. He worked on MODO for four years, and he was responsible for several tier 1 constructed decks back in the day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Got my invite to the Alpha as a $250 backer, so check your emails if you haven't seen it yet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

And with perfect timing:

Hex Twitter posted:

Servers will be coming down in 10 minutes (12:30 Pacific) for a hardware upgrade. The servers should be down for no longer than 1 hr.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Got my invite to the Alpha as a $250 backer, so check your emails if you haven't seen it yet.

Just got mine 2 minutes ago, also as a 250. Dammit I'm supposed to work on my Halloween costume tonight!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is this the part where we old-timers get to haze all the new entrants?

Use the "Construction Plans: War Hulk" card and the "Crash of Beasts" together in the same deck to unlock the Secret Combo!

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea, I know some people have suggested that extra invites for people who multi-pledged will still be able to be rolled together when we hit Beta but I'm paranoid not to believe it - I'll just keep these extra 3 invites in the back pocket for now...

"All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers" gently caress though, that's not something I'm looking forward to - if I wanna trade with the cool kids then I have to lock myself into wacky tournament timezones?

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, other than the pro-player tournament it'll probably never come up again anyway due to me being a bad player!

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Just got my invite, but the region locking has pretty much killed my excitement for the game.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It sounds like at least part of the reason for the different regional servers is that the Chinese government (for example) starts dribbling and frothing at the mouth at the depiction of bones, so different regions will sometimes need different card art. Since each card is its own object, this could cause legitimate issues with trading things between territories. Tournament timezones shouldn't be too much of an issue, though:

quote:

The Global tournaments are available to everyone in every territory and will have tournaments day-and-night. Global tournaments will offer a robust set of formats, everything you would see on the regional tournaments servers, and those global tournaments offering the same prizing globally, including our premier eSports events. So, yes, you will be able to play with your friend in Vietnam and your cousin in Germany on the tournament server.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nion posted:

Just got my invite, but the region locking has pretty much killed my excitement for the game.

.. Why? All international games do this to some extent or another. Only one I can thnk of that doesn't is Eve.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

.. Why? All international games do this to some extent or another. Only one I can thnk of that doesn't is Eve.

Most games I can just join the same server as my friends and deal with a bit of lag. Different pricing in different regions generally signals that they won't allow people to play on other servers.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Got my invite, made my deck I had designed already and immediately got challenged by a streamer (Casterly Rock). I beat him. :cool:

I am choppy if anyone wants to play.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm in, and got my first priority bug in my second and third games. Alphas.

Name is Disappointment in game.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Jedit posted:

Getting Alan Comer on board is pretty big. He worked on MODO for four years, and he was responsible for several tier 1 constructed decks back in the day.

As long as he had absolutely nothing to do with the MODO UI...

Got my Pro Player invite, but am stuck at work for another couple of hours. Sigh.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Got my invite (Dungeon Crawler tier). Downloader seems pretty snappy - I was worried after the initial horror stories that it would be an all night sort of download.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Got my invite, stuck at the Create Champion screen :v:

e: figured out this meant my brilliant keep name of "Hogwarts" was taken. Now in as xxx of Unseen University.

Adar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 24, 2013

nerox
May 20, 2001
So yeah this deck is fun:

Raptor Party
4x Pack Raptor
4x High Tomb Lord
4x Moon'ariu Sensei
4x Necessary Sacrifice
4x Pact of Pain
4x Murder
4x Extintion
4x Life Siphon
2x Pact of Life
2x Demented Demolisher
12x Wild Shard
12x Blood Shard

60 cards

Basically you are trying to draw out as many raptors as possible and stay at a high number of cards in hand so you can discard excess mana or other redundant cards (pacts) to pump up number of cards in the graveyard.

If they extinct your raptors, it just makes your high tomb lords better. Necessary Sacrifice on a moon'ariu sensei owns, but I will use it on a raptor after attack round as well.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tried playing against the AI for a bit, but the priority bug hit every game.

the UI is great - my only real complaint is that setting a timer on my stops also applies to main phases. If I could turn the timer on/off for a given phase, it would be perfect.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

pumpinglemma posted:

It sounds like at least part of the reason for the different regional servers is that the Chinese government (for example) starts dribbling and frothing at the mouth at the depiction of bones, so different regions will sometimes need different card art. Since each card is its own object, this could cause legitimate issues with trading things between territories. Tournament timezones shouldn't be too much of an issue, though:

I live in Taiwan. They're ok with bones :(

Please don't make me see lovely art because of the mainland :(

Hopefully it'll be possible just to play on the US server (I note Australia was not mentioned anywhere in the graphic).

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I imagine that we will get to CHOOSE which server we connect to and then we will be stuck there, I mean at least I hope so

Edit: even if that's not the case I can always VPN that poo poo so whatev

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

tijag posted:

I'm not angry or anything.

What I'm saying is they speculated a BETA would start in Sept. We got a REALLY rough Alpha in October.

My only point is it's not even close to Beta quality yet and their estimates were significantly off, not just a little bit. In any case, I'm glad they have committed to taking a longer time to move to the beta stage, and I'm confident that they can get the game into a state where it is fun to play.

4 of my last 5 games couldn't complete, due to I'm not sure what, but probably pass priority bugs? Once my opponent [AI] got stuck at his discard phase with 8 cards in hand. Anyways, what I am surprised at is that they ever thought that would be at beta quality as early as September. Seems that was a serious misjudgment of the actual amount of work they had left to accomplish.

I think their optimism was not atypical of a company that had not previously done software getting into software. The most encouraging thing I've seen was that when faced with reality in the first alpha wave they slowed things down instead of just trying to rush ahead into wave 2. Hopefully they will continue to adjust their process.

I wish they'd use some kind of real bug database / issue tracker instead of frickin' forums. The bug button in the client just loading the alpha bug report forum instead of offering to send a logfile somewhere was a little underwhelming...

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Huh. I didn't think to check my email until now.

:unsmith:

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I managed to play two games with the AI before the vs AI died. I'm not sure why. I was never able to play a custom deck vs the AI, the only time I got it to work was with pregens.

The times I got to play though were super fun. It helped me realize how incredibly bad I am at this game. I didn't even know you could kill an attacking troop with a blocking troop.

For reference, how does it decide whether your troop kills an attacking troop? Does it match the blocking troop's attack with the attacking troop's defense?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Got everything set up, in as A Blazing Zero. I doubt I'll be playing a whole lot until we see all of set one in the game. I will play a few games this weekend for sure though. :buddy:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Afgad posted:

I managed to play two games with the AI before the vs AI died. I'm not sure why. I was never able to play a custom deck vs the AI, the only time I got it to work was with pregens.

The times I got to play though were super fun. It helped me realize how incredibly bad I am at this game. I didn't even know you could kill an attacking troop with a blocking troop.

For reference, how does it decide whether your troop kills an attacking troop? Does it match the blocking troop's attack with the attacking troop's defense?

The two troops deal damage equal to their power to the other. If the damage meets or exceeds the creature's toughness, it dies.

You might want to go look up a M:tG tutorial or something. 95% of the information will be applicable to Hex.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Afgad posted:

Thats right, both troops hit eachother at the same time - though there are abilities like Swiftstrike which change who strikes first / etc

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Thanks guys.

Yeah... I'll go look for a tutorial somewhere. I also have trouble with all the jargon. I had no idea swiftstrike meant that until you just said it. The list I saw on the Hex website is also incomplete (unless they updated it).

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This page has a bunch of maybe useful information about the different Keywords: http://hextcg.gamepedia.com/Category:Keywords

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Afgad posted:

Thanks guys.

Yeah... I'll go look for a tutorial somewhere. I also have trouble with all the jargon. I had no idea swiftstrike meant that until you just said it. The list I saw on the Hex website is also incomplete (unless they updated it).

If you zoom in on the card in an actual game (mousewheel with the pointer over the card) there'll be a tooltip on the right side of the zoomed-in card that explains all the keywords the card has.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Great, looks like I'll be stuck playing on the Philippines server. Wonderful. Now I can look forward to no support, excessive down time and all the other fun stuff that comes with regional servers over here.

But hey, at least they got my pledge before they announced this.

:negative:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Great, looks like I'll be stuck playing on the Philippines server. Wonderful. Now I can look forward to no support, excessive down time and all the other fun stuff that comes with regional servers over here.

But hey, at least they got my pledge before they announced this.

:negative:
Now this here is pretty hosed. Never heard anything good from regional game services for any game. Proseibien sat7 or what ever it's called is the most recent example of botched handling for planetside 2. Then again, SOE is screwing over it's half as well. :v:

China is one thing seeing as it's the government that forces crap like this but wow. What a terrible idea.

edit: first post of this thread page is Cory saying he will refund this guy who's been burnt by gameforge previously. Jester, see if you can request a refund and come back after the game has been live for a while. Glad to see Cory's willing to do that, though.

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 25, 2013

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Corey has said there won't be anything stopping a person from joining the US/EU server even if you're not in those locations. Of course that will mean any events happening might be at odd times of the day for you so there is that downside. I'm really not sure how it will all play out.

For anyone trying to play it looks like a game server is down right now. I couldn't start any games against the AI or other players.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Protip posted:

Corey has said there won't be anything stopping a person from joining the US/EU server even if you're not in those locations. Of course that will mean any events happening might be at odd times of the day for you so there is that downside. I'm really not sure how it will all play out.

For anyone trying to play it looks like a game server is down right now. I couldn't start any games against the AI or other players.

If I can play on the US server, great. I don't see that happening though, because part of the reason they're setting up regional servers is to balance load. If people can play on the US server, they will, as it'll generally get patches first, have better support and in many cases be flat out cheaper than playing on your regional server(Dollar to Euro 1 to 1 conversion as an example).

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

If I can play on the US server, great. I don't see that happening though, because part of the reason they're setting up regional servers is to balance load. If people can play on the US server, they will, as it'll generally get patches first, have better support and in many cases be flat out cheaper than playing on your regional server(Dollar to Euro 1 to 1 conversion as an example).

Right. I was about to post just this. Why would they bother to pay for other companies to host regional servers if you can just join the US one which will get better service. (player perception) It would be fantastic if it worked out like that, but it doesn't add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Blazing Zero posted:

Right. I was about to post just this. Why would they bother to pay for other companies to host regional servers if you can just join the US one which will get better service. (player perception) It would be fantastic if it worked out like that, but it doesn't add up.

Plenty of people will still play on their local servers. Better ping (which admittedly isn't as important in this kind of game, but with as many pass priority buttons as you have to hit, a 500 ms ping could add up really fast over a 3-game match), events timed for when they can actually play, support that speaks their language, other people who speak their language, etc etc etc.

• Locked thread