Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Slamhound posted:

Cumberbatch's voice is the big draw. The only real problem I have with the JJTrek actors is that Pine is incapable of Shatner's smug confidence, and Quinto plays Spock too stiffly. Someone said it in an earlier thread, but the thing about Spock is that he's incredibly chill.

Yeah but in JJTrek we see Spock like 7-8 years younger than in TOS. That's not a lot but enough to mellow out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah but in JJTrek we see Spock like 7-8 years younger than in TOS. That's not a lot but enough to mellow out a bit.

You also have the fact that chill Spock's planet wasn't destroyed when he was younger. That probably harshes one's mellow pretty effectively.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The next movie should have him stuck on Omicron Ceti III and high on spores the entire time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Star Trek III: The "Search" for Spock.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Fair enough. I still think you kids should get off my space lawn.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just can't deal with Chris Pine's loving eyebrows.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Circutron posted:

You take that back about Quinto. :mad:

Sorry, he definitely has a weird baby face. Once you admit it to yourself, you'll feel much better.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Mogomra posted:

Sorry, he definitely has a weird baby face. Once you admit it to yourself, you'll feel much better.

Seriously. Nimoy has a really thin angular face. Quinto's is also sorta thin but every feature in his face is pudgy and he looks like a ball of clay mushed into a face.

Not to mention, as far as Spocks go, Quinto-spock's ears are way tiny. Did he get caught in a mechanical rice picker or something?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apple Jax posted:

Seriously. Nimoy has a really thin angular face. Quinto's is also sorta thin but every feature in his face is pudgy and he looks like a ball of clay mushed into a face.

Not to mention, as far as Spocks go, Quinto-spock's ears are way tiny. Did he get caught in a mechanical rice picker or something?
He's clearly two years shy of "the angling," wherein a Vulcan's ears double in size and their face becomes memorably craggy and vaguely Satanic.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nessus posted:

He's clearly two years shy of "the angling," wherein a Vulcan's ears double in size and their face becomes memorably craggy and vaguely Satanic.

In our universe Spock actually beheaded those bullies at the Science Academy to steal their angling. Quinto Spock didn't.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Quinto's Spock was definitely shafted because while he does have a super hot model girlfriend, TOS Spock was clearly getting laid all the loving time and having no problems finding partners.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

1st AD posted:

I think Quinto's Spock was definitely shafted because while he does have a super hot model girlfriend, TOS Spock was clearly getting laid all the loving time and having no problems finding partners.

Anybody who watched The Cloud Minders knows this.

During the time of TOS, Nimoy was getting all kinds of fan mail and was a hit with the women even back then.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Well, he gay so I doubt he cares.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really don't like JJ Spock, because he's an uptight, whiny jerk. He's almost like the total opposite of Prime Spock. Uhura was a lot more into Kirk in TOS too, although in JJTrek, Kirk is a little bit of a creep so it's understandable why she isn't. It was Nurse Chapel who badly wanted to jump on Spock's green space wang and much to her dismay, Spock wanted nothing to do with this and whenever he had some emotional phase, he instead bumped uglies with pretty much everyone else except for Nurse Chapel. This is both heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

I really don't like JJ Spock, because he's an uptight, whiny jerk. He's almost like the total opposite of Prime Spock. Uhura was a lot more into Kirk in TOS too, although in JJTrek, Kirk is a little bit of a creep so it's understandable why she isn't. It was Nurse Chapel who badly wanted to jump on Spock's green space wang and much to her dismay, Spock wanted nothing to do with this and whenever he had some emotional phase, he instead bumped uglies with pretty much everyone else except for Nurse Chapel. This is both heartbreaking and hilarious at the same time.

Uhura did teaze Spock some in the original series. I could see how it could be taken as flirting.

But so did Dr. McCoy.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
This may seem like trek 101 but were TOS Spock and Kirk at the academy at the same time?

I remember in TWoK Spock mentions Kirks solution to the test but I can't remember any references in TOS.

I can imagine that earlier exposure to smugness (without daddy issues pulling it down) would've hardened Spock more by the age he is in JJTrek.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, it's really a missed opportunity and just terribly sad that even in the alternate timeline Nurse Chapel doesn't get with Spock.

Apple Jax fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 24, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Karl Urban is a great Bones. Into Darkness did one thing right, which involved having more of him than the first one. Karl Urban :swoon:

I liked how they found something for Chekov to actually do, as well, it's just too bad they had to remove Scotty from the ship entirely to accomplish it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Thwomp posted:

This may seem like trek 101 but were TOS Spock and Kirk at the academy at the same time?

I remember in TWoK Spock mentions Kirks solution to the test but I can't remember any references in TOS.

I can imagine that earlier exposure to smugness (without daddy issues pulling it down) would've hardened Spock more by the age he is in JJTrek.

I think so? Or at least, I always assumed that.

One of the biggest problems with the 2009 movie is it wanted to be both the old aborted "Kirk in the Academy" movie they wanted to do for years, and also the movie where Kirk gets the Enterprise and Star Trek as we know it begins. That just totally doesn't loving work because you have an academy student becoming Captain of the Federation's flagship. Kirk might have been very young for a Starfleet Captain, but he had to have been in the service for at least a decade before getting his own ship.

Star Trek 2009 would have been a lot more coherent if they had chosen between "Kirk and Spock in the academy" or "Kirk becomes Captain of the Enterprise." instead of doing both. Much like how Into Darkness would have been a lot better if they had chosen between "Oh no, it's Khan again!" or "Admiral Robocop tries to start a war with the Klingons."

I think the JJ Movies have good effects and good direction, but the scripts are just stinkers. I mean, what do you expect, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are the same guys who write the Transformers movies. Their scripts just suck. They have a list of things that they want in their movies, and they jam them all together, whether or not it makes sense.

"Okay, I want this movie to have Khan, Carol Marcus, an evil Starfleet Admiral, a big bad enemy ship, a scene where they fight Klingons..." and so on.

JJTrek is very much Star Trek, but it's like Star Trek fanfiction written by a 12 year old. Into Darkness is like what you would do with your Star Trek action figures as a kid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Apple Jax posted:

Yeah, it's really a missed opportunity and just terribly sad that even in the alternate timeline Nurse Chapel doesn't get with Spock.

Nurse Chapel is like for reals crazy and I'm not surprised Spock refused to hit that even when not doing so would kill him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Prime Spock would have banged Uhura, but once she was rebooted she no longer had any interest in him.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm going to say something...insane here, but follow me for a minute.

I did not like much about STID, but I was impressed by the ending. First of all, because there were about four of them in a half-hour period. (Yay the Enterprise is out of danger movie's over!...wait the villain's ship has crashed into Starfleet Academy and killed about a thousand people movie's over!...wait now they're running around in San Francisco and Spock's gonna beat Khan to death movie's over...wait Kirk's alive and everything's super movie's over!) It's something I've never seen before in a major motion picture.

Secondly, that final ending, where Starfleet mourns its dead, Kirk returns to life and gets his five year mission, and Khan and the augments are slapped right back into stasis, reminds me, believe it or not, of Taxi Driver. In the climactic scene of that movie, Travis Bickle goes on his bloody rampage through a brothel to rescue teen prostitute Jodie Foster, slaughtering everyone he comes across save her and ending up seemingly mortally wounded. However, in the final scenes, Travis has recuperated from his injuries, he's lauded by the press as a hero, and he's back in his cab trawling the streets, all his craziness still bubbling away. There's been arguments for years about whether Travis actually survives his rampage, and while Scorcese and writer Paul Schrader discounted the dream hypothesis (though Schrader did argue that it represented Travis' return to his initial state), there's enough in the movie to support either reading.

I think something similar happens in Into Darkness. The final ending can be read two ways: either as literal, or as the utopic dying dream of Kirk. Funny thing is, no matter which interpretation you endorse, there is no way the movie ends with a positive ending. If you assume everything happens as-is, then yes, Kirk gets his mission of exploration, but all the stuff we saw in the movie, Starfleet's drive for conspiracy and militarism, its use of war criminals in military research and desire for pre-emptive strikes against its enemies, all of that is still there. It hasn't been brought to light or combated; like Khan, it's been repressed out of sight and out of mind, and that fact that it is still there means that we will never be able to trust Starfleet (or Kirk, as Starfleet's representative, who doesn't ask any questions at the film's end) ever again. If you accept the dream interpretation, then Star Trek Into Darkness ends with Kirk dead, the Starfleet admirality crushed beneath the Vengeance...and with Spock having taken "listening to his emotions" to its ultimate conclusion by crushing a man's skull into meat with his bare hands.

I think J. J. Abrams may have done the impossible. I think he may have killed Star Trek.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hello thread. I started watching Star Trek after having never seen a single episode my whole life about a year ago because, no joke, I was interacting with Leonard Nimoy and that seemed like the final sign that I should stop being in a cultural black hole about this thing. So here are my Star Trek opinions, I hope that you enjoy:

I am watching by airdate, and so far I have seen all of TOS and its movies, TAS, TNG and the first TNG movie. I am currently going back and forth between DS9 and yes, Voyager. I have not seen any Enterprise yet or the newfangled movies.

TOS is fun in a Twilight Zone kind of way in that the bad episodes are still fun to watch for their pure campy madness. I did not care for the movies, even Wrath of Khan because they are all like a very long episode of TOS and even many episodoes of that could have been a half hour. The fourth movie was okay because it was like a parody of itself but Galaxy Quest was better at doing that.

My favorite thing about TAS is that I believe Shatner's acting actually got better when he only had to talk into a microphone, also that it felt like being on drugs and like fun drugs, not the bad ones.

TNG is a little like someone took a freshman philosophy course on ethics textbook and in all the examples about positing scenarios, they crossed out words and wrote "android" or "space" in, which makes its bad episodes really embarrassing and its good episodes quite enjoyable. I enjoy that every episode Worf says "CAPTAIN, I RECOMMEND FIRING TORPEDOES." and then Data says "That might be seen as hostile. Instead, let us examine how I don't have human emotions and that makes me sad, possibly with a B plot about the ship evading explosion because Geordi can't fix something" and the Captain agrees, then Riker steps over a chair and Deanna looks uncomfortable in the stupid outfit they have her wearing. The show had a very good finale and some good episodes, like that one where Picard lives a whole different life or he saw some number of lights or realized the alien was talking in story-metaphor-language.

DS9 is my favorite so far but I am just at the end of the first season with Worf. I like the early episode where Odo kept a log and it was kind of Chandleresque.

Voyager is a bad show but I enjoy the Doctor. Also in one episode Michael McKean played a crazy monster clown in a computer and it was a bad episode but I still enjoyed it because it seemed like Mr. Green from Clue was having a lot of fun being a computer clownmonster. I think maybe the show should have been about the Doctor and Mr. Greenclown traveling the holoverse and playing pranks on Lt. Broccoli.

So those are my opinions, thank you for listening. Maybe I will update my opinionlist when I have watched Enterprise, which I understand is also bad, or the newmovies, which are bad depending on whose side you are on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

By this reasoning though, Star Trek died during that first season TNG episode? I mean, broadly the same thing happened, albeit with an alien parasite rather than a whitewashed goblin-king. If not then, certainly when Section 31 started doing poo poo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Hello thread. I started watching Star Trek after having never seen a single episode my whole life about a year ago because, no joke, I was interacting with Leonard Nimoy and that seemed like the final sign that I should stop being in a cultural black hole about this thing. So here are my Star Trek opinions, I hope that you enjoy:

I am watching by airdate, and so far I have seen all of TOS and its movies, TAS, TNG and the first TNG movie. I am currently going back and forth between DS9 and yes, Voyager. I have not seen any Enterprise yet or the newfangled movies.

TOS is fun in a Twilight Zone kind of way in that the bad episodes are still fun to watch for their pure campy madness. I did not care for the movies, even Wrath of Khan because they are all like a very long episode of TOS and even many episodoes of that could have been a half hour. The fourth movie was okay because it was like a parody of itself but Galaxy Quest was better at doing that.

My favorite thing about TAS is that I believe Shatner's acting actually got better when he only had to talk into a microphone, also that it felt like being on drugs and like fun drugs, not the bad ones.

TNG is a little like someone took a freshman philosophy course on ethics textbook and in all the examples about positing scenarios, they crossed out words and wrote "android" or "space" in, which makes its bad episodes really embarrassing and its good episodes quite enjoyable. I enjoy that every episode Worf says "CAPTAIN, I RECOMMEND FIRING TORPEDOES." and then Data says "That might be seen as hostile. Instead, let us examine how I don't have human emotions and that makes me sad, possibly with a B plot about the ship evading explosion because Geordi can't fix something" and the Captain agrees, then Riker steps over a chair and Deanna looks uncomfortable in the stupid outfit they have her wearing. The show had a very good finale and some good episodes, like that one where Picard lives a whole different life or he saw some number of lights or realized the alien was talking in story-metaphor-language.

DS9 is my favorite so far but I am just at the end of the first season with Worf. I like the early episode where Odo kept a log and it was kind of Chandleresque.

Voyager is a bad show but I enjoy the Doctor. Also in one episode Michael McKean played a crazy monster clown in a computer and it was a bad episode but I still enjoyed it because it seemed like Mr. Green from Clue was having a lot of fun being a computer clownmonster. I think maybe the show should have been about the Doctor and Mr. Greenclown traveling the holoverse and playing pranks on Lt. Broccoli.

So those are my opinions, thank you for listening. Maybe I will update my opinionlist when I have watched Enterprise, which I understand is also bad, or the newmovies, which are bad depending on whose side you are on.

Actually you have probably my favorite opinions out of anybody in this thread so congratulations.

Yolocaust Denier
Oct 23, 2013

by Pipski
DS9 loses out to TNG due to Avery Brooks awful performance. Having a shiny head obviously did not help him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

One of the biggest problems with the 2009 movie is it wanted to be both the old aborted "Kirk in the Academy" movie they wanted to do for years, and also the movie where Kirk gets the Enterprise and Star Trek as we know it begins. That just totally doesn't loving work because you have an academy student becoming Captain of the Federation's flagship. Kirk might have been very young for a Starfleet Captain, but he had to have been in the service for at least a decade before getting his own ship.

I'm not going to bother looking it up to get the specifics but I'm pretty sure that in TOS Kirk was the "youngest Star Fleet captain ever" at 30 years old or something.

Everyone looking like a supermodel (except Urban and Pegg) is a really weird perceptual problem for me in JJ Trek. Even if I was willing to accept that Kirk could go from Ensign to Captain in a matter of days, he still doesn't look like anyone I can accept as being in the military, and neither do a lot of the other characters. I mean, I know not every single person in the military looks like Edward James Olmos but every main character you see are just pretty to the point of being distracting. Urban looking like he does is probably a big reason why he was the only main character I really liked from the first JJ Trek (besides acting like an actual adult).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bicyclops posted:

That's really weird, I've always felt like Shatner was dull, flat, and uninspired when he was doing voiceover work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thwomp posted:

I never thought they were. I always figured Spock knew about Kirk's solution because they had been friends for long enough that Kirk had told that story.

For all their banter over TOS I find it hard to believe there'd never be a mention of "I've known this guy since the Academy" or "I think you've lightened up some since then" or something like that. Turns out people can make friends after college the Academy???

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I never thought they were. I always figured Spock knew about Kirk's solution because they had been friends for long enough that Kirk had told that story.

For all their banter over TOS I find it hard to believe there'd never be a mention of "I've known this guy since the Academy" or "I think you've lightened up some since then" or something like that. Turns out people can make friends after college the Academy???
I agree with you; in the series bible they weren't. Remember, Vulcans age slower than humans.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Yolocaust Denier posted:

DS9 loses out to TNG due to Avery Brooks awful performance. Having a shiny head obviously did not help him.

I think you need to re-think your opinions of The Sisko.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Karl Urban got paid to do two movies' worth of a really good impression of Deforest Kelley as Bones.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

By this reasoning though, Star Trek died during that first season TNG episode? I mean, broadly the same thing happened, albeit with an alien parasite rather than a whitewashed goblin-king. If not then, certainly when Section 31 started doing poo poo.

Section 31 is annoying because dipshit authoritarians glom onto it as some sort of reassurance that unaccountable renegade spy agencies are actually necessary to protect western civilization and that it's okay to be uncritical Tom Clancy fans.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yolocaust Denier posted:

DS9 loses out to TNG due to Avery Brooks awful performance.

If you were any other man...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I agree with most of that except for one thing - I love the TOS movies. A lot. They are like, my favorite part of Trek. Of course, this is probably because they're how I was introduced to Star Trek as a kid and I watched all 6 on VHS multiple times growing up so nostalgia is a huge factor. Star Trek V is the only one I don't enjoy watching. gently caress, I even like The Motionless Picture and Search for Spock a lot.

Yolocaust Denier
Oct 23, 2013

by Pipski

Thom12255 posted:

I think you need to re-think your opinions of The Sisko.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If you were any other man...

Sorry, if DS9 didnt have other good characters and actors then DS9 would be talked about like Voyager. Avery Brooks is a fine actor but his constant shouty/quiet voice drove me nuts. Most of the time he seemed to be channelling Jack Palance out of Batman. RIP Jack, your finding peoples lucky decks in heaven :xcom:
Maybe Jack is a wormhole alien.................................

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Phy posted:

Karl Urban got paid to do two movies' worth of a really good impression of Deforest Kelley as Bones.

And it was worth every single penny.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Bicyclops posted:

I am currently going back and forth between DS9 and yes, Voyager.

Why would you ruin DS9 by alternating it with Voyager episodes. Yuck.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Section 31 is annoying because dipshit authoritarians glom onto it as some sort of reassurance that unaccountable renegade spy agencies are actually necessary to protect western civilization and that it's okay to be uncritical Tom Clancy fans.

The Federation is an authoritarian military dictatorship anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Damo posted:

Why would you ruin DS9 by alternating it with Voyager episodes. Yuck.

This is how we had to do it in the 90's.

• Locked thread