Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Prices for 993's make me think they're classics already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Not sure. I don't right this minute, but I suspect the whole "last of the air-cooled" thing will give them some cachet in the future. I think they're just not old or uncommon enough to be considered classics yet. Go back another fifteen years, and yes, I do. Late-eighties Turbos are the image I always have in my mind as to what a 911 is, because those were the hot poo poo when I was a kid.

I asked because I didn't know what it was from the image, I'm not so hot on Porkers.

993's are more valuable where I live than 996's. Take that as you will, I think they're already considered classics by a lot of people.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think that's the case everywhere, because 996s are considered near-garbage as far as 911s go. The random and very expensive catastrophic engine failures probably contribute to that. Even the '78-'89 SC and Carreras go for more than a non-turbo 996.

Photo unrelated.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You call that torque? THIS is torque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7yDsy96Fw

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BoostCreep posted:

He got super lucky there weren't any cars next to him.
He knew there weren't any cars next to him because as a German car owner he has superior situational awareness.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

InitialDave posted:

Is this guy driving a classic 911?

Video of this:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=17a_1382454285

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Was that on the Autobahn?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Autoroute, more like. They're speaking French.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

Not sure. I don't right this minute, but I suspect the whole "last of the air-cooled" thing will give them some cachet in the future. I think they're just not old or uncommon enough to be considered classics yet. Go back another fifteen years, and yes, I do. Late-eighties Turbos are the image I always have in my mind as to what a 911 is, because those were the hot poo poo when I was a kid.

I asked because I didn't know what it was from the image, I'm not so hot on Porkers.

Spend some time on Pistonheads, you'll see the 993 is definitely on the way back up, price-wise. They were also the last 911 to built like a brick shithouse (ie before Wiedeking realized you could make 911s cheaply but charge lots for them and therefore make a lot of money), plus the greybeards love aircooled engines.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 25, 2013

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

I saw a pristine first gen Honda Prelude yesterday. And I mean pristine. The little bits of discoloration on the paint are just pollen or dirt. Not a scratch on this thing. Even the wheels were perfect. I was going to get a picture of the immaculate interior but people started staring at me for drooling over a ~35 year old japanese car.

That's amazing, I still want to own a 1st gen Prelude some day. I've only ever seen one locally and despite being dirty was actually in pretty good shape.

My favorite part of your photoshoot was that passerbys probably thought you were nuts for being more interested in a faded old Honda than the shiny new Porsche right behind it. Probably the same reaction people had to me going nuts over the 1st gen Lude Eva Mendes drove in The Place Beyond the Pines when it was intended to be a lovely old budget car.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

piss boner posted:

He's here all night, folks. Try the veal and remember to tip your waitress. :rimshot:

I see your STI Police car and raise you a STI Police wagon.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

SuperDucky posted:

I will never understand why people call any generation of WRX hatchback a wagon.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Here is a big dump of pictures from my iPhone from the past few months:

At the Manhattan car club for the Jalopnik film fest pre-party

Absolutely mint 80's Celica

1 block down, an even minter first gen accord! I love the "5 Speed" badging.

Stealth Twin Turbo, never see these anymore!

Genuine Porsche 356, show quality parked at a sandwhich shop on long island.

Rolls

F430

Old Chevy Truck

Nice. Not sure about those pink camo decals though...

Bone stock mint FD manual I spotted in downtown Minneapolis

First RS5 I've seen in the wild

Incredible 1936 Oldsmobile, the best part is the camry next to it is almost the exact same color.

Daimler I spotted in NYC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

DropShadow posted:

I will never understand why people call any generation of WRX hatchback a wagon.

Wagon :holy:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

This isn't actually a police car ("Eureka" was a TV Series on Sci-Fi).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

A super lovely tv show.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

They're pretty catholic in their selections:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

It's also a WRX and not an STI.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But does it become a STI if you keep pigs in it?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

DropShadow posted:

To the average American, hatchbacks have 2 doors and wagons have 4. The same way people think a coupe must have 2 doors and a sedan must have 4.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BoostCreep posted:

To the average American, hatchbacks have 2 doors and wagons have 4. The same way people think a coupe must have 2 doors and a sedan must have 4.

This is 100% correct. At least, that's what all that meant when I was a kid 20-30 years ago.
Probably why a lot of manufacturers just call them "5-ddors".

e: typos.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The previous generation 5 door is a sportwagon, not a hatchback, the rear overhang is too long.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

So a 5-door Golf is a wagon?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

So a 5-door Golf is a wagon?

To the average American? Sure. But there are always exceptions to a rule. The lack of a window behind the rear doors would probably push that into hatchback territory, but the WRX hatch would without a doubt be considered a wagon.

Mar 25, 2004

InitialDave posted:

How about a 1985 Euro-spec 930 with 36k miles? Yes, I know, the 80's chick posters are old and maybe tacky, but you know, 80's. It looks bone stock but I've done quite a bit of performance-related upgrading making sure to keep everything as original as possible.

Air cooled Porsches for life!

Edit: sorry for the poor-quality picture.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

655321 posted:

How about a 1985 Euro-spec 930 with 36k miles? Yes, I know, the 80's chick posters are old and maybe tacky, but you know, 80's. It looks bone stock but I've done quite a bit of performance-related upgrading making sure to keep everything as original as possible.

Where can you get those 80s style posters? IMO a garage isn't a proper garage unless it's got an old calendar full of big-haired women in oddly-shaped swimwear.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BoostCreep posted:

Wagons have to have four doors because if they don't then they're shooting brakes :v:

But seriously, stop saying what the average American does and doesn't know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

655321 posted:

I just jizzed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some dumbass at a party once called my 2 door GTI a 'minivan'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For the longest time I have hated how they refer to a hatch as a door. It's not a door, people are not supposed to come out of there unless they were shagging!

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

front wing flexing posted:

Wagons have to have four doors because if they don't then they're shooting brakes :v:

But seriously, stop saying what the average American does and doesn't know.

Why? After almost 33 years of living here I think I have a pretty firm grasp on it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

655321 posted:

Gorgeous and perfect, I'd love to see more pictures.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

655321 posted:

36k!

Holy moley, that's absolutely lovely.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BoostCreep posted:

Why? After almost 33 years of living here I think I have a pretty firm grasp on it.

Well, for one thing, wagons do have four doors. The two door wagon thing stopped in the 70s.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Wrong thread lol sorry everyone.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Walking around Shanghai, I came across a Porsche Carrera Cup safety car outside a fancy hotel.

Mar 25, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where can you get those 80s style posters? IMO a garage isn't a proper garage unless it's got an old calendar full of big-haired women in oddly-shaped swimwear.

I know lots of the tool manufacturers have them still but they're going to be current. I don't know where to get the 80's style stuff. These posters were my dad's and I put them up in my garage as kind of an homage with the added benefit of making the 930 feel comfortable. Actually, if you want the old-school posters you should probably check a repair shop or a machine shop that's been around for a long time and see if they'd hook you up with some of the older posters. My machine shop is loaded with them and I don't think anyone has ever taken one down since we opened the building.

It's perfect turbo weather in Phoenix so I will take it out for a spin and grab some more pictures. To be honest, though, hearing it is really about the best way to experience this thing aside from driving it. I'll see about making a little recording.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You need to post more about that 930.

I got a ride in one once - one of my dad's friends had a white 930 (complete with white leather interior and white Fuchs) here in Phoenix as well. This was probably 15 years ago but when he brought it home, he came to show it off and took each of us on a quick ride around the block.

To this day I still remember that thing kicking like a mule once the turbos spooled up.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

655321 posted:

Oh my goodness, I like your car a lot. Someday I want to own a post 77 but not watercooled one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mar 25, 2004

Thanks, guys! I certainly like it a lot but I really didn't expect others to get excited about it. I will take some proper pictures this week and post some of the details. This car's story is kind of cool so it will probably be interesting.

Iowncalculus: was the one you got a ride in that white 930 with the twin turbo setup? If so, I am pretty sure I know the car you're talking about having seen only a couple of them locally. I think Patrick Motorsports built one of them and I'm not sure about the other. When the SR-51 was first opening years and years ago the AZ Porsche owners' club somehow convinced the local authorities to let us have the whole empty freeway for a day and we had a kind of impromptu 930 shootout which was just insanely fun. That will for sure never happen again... perfect timing I suppose. Mine has the supple tan leather inside with black carpet and accents. It has never been rained upon other than the day I picked it up at the port in Houston, never had any food in it, and I've never allowed anyone to wear perfume in it so it literally smells and feels like a new car.

I have kept mine in the stock configuration (no TT conversion) but I've upgraded the forced induction system, had custom headers and exhaust (BB 935 headers and exhaust), added a monster intercooler, and a micro-fueler. Luckily I registetred it as a classic so I don't have to go through emissions anymore because although it looks stock, as soon as it starts you know that it doesn't belong on the street.

I will say for sure that I have driven a lot of powerful and amazing cars but this thing is just different. Like you said, when the turbo hits... there's no feeling in the world like it. You can hear the turbo from a mile away. The exhaust and turbo upgrades have really reduced the lag; when I first got it it was definitely noticeable but any more its pretty smooth up until the point where it just blows your brains out. There's just something about driving a car that you know is trying to kill you.