Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pokemon that had their egg bred moves deleted by the stupid Day Care can relearn them for a heart scale. Is this a new or old mechanic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Alright, guys, when's a good time to evolve my Pumpkaboo...Duoblade...and Helioptile?

Duoblade learns Sacred Sword at level 51, though I prefer to run iron head instead. Helioptile should be fine as soon as it learns parabolic charge. A good set would be rain dance/surf/parabolic charge/thunder, so all of his other moves he can get through TMs.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

horriblePencilist posted:

Duoblade learns Sacred Sword at level 51, though I prefer to run iron head instead.

Notably, Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak give it unresisted STAB if you're into that kind of thing. Iron Head does more damage, but Sacred Sword hits more things super effectively.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I love passerby's that spam me for battles when I'm currently breeding then goes offline once I've switched to my actual team.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dastardly posted:

I love passerby's that spam me for battles when I'm currently breeding then goes offline once I've switched to my actual team.

Put your A team in your battle box.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

JollyPubJerk posted:

Pokemon that had their egg bred moves deleted by the stupid Day Care can relearn them for a heart scale. Is this a new or old mechanic?

Yeah, it's a new mechanic. It's quite convenient.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Duoblade learns Sacred Sword at level 51, though I prefer to run iron head instead. Helioptile should be fine as soon as it learns parabolic charge. A good set would be rain dance/surf/parabolic charge/thunder, so all of his other moves he can get through TMs.

Actually just checking it, the only move Helioptile learns by level-up after Parabolic Charge that you can't teach with a TM is Electrify, which I can't imagine you really want anyway. So not only can you teach it a good set with just TMs, you can teach it any set it could naturally learn as long as you get Parabolic Charge before evolving.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Who makes a good HM slave?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Elderbean posted:

Bibarel, Lapras, Greninja.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cuckoo posted:

Bibarel, Lapras, Greninja.

Assuming you have something in your party to use Surf (since it's actually a good attack), Hawlucha can Fly/Strength/Cut, and also Rock Smash and False Swipe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Or Surf/Dark Pulse/ Thunderbolt/Focus Blast for basically perfect coverage. Not to mention all TM/HM.

Unlike most electric types, Heliolisk has a really really good and wide movepool and doesn't need to double up on anything like poor Jolteon/Manectric/Luxray etc.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zore posted:

Or Surf/Dark Pulse/ Thunderbolt/Focus Blast for basically perfect coverage. Not to mention all TM/HM.

Unlike most electric types, Heliolisk has a really really good and wide movepool and doesn't need to double up on anything like poor Jolteon/Manectric/Luxray etc.

That's always been the blessing of Normal types, they always get absurdly wide movepools.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Is Shadow Ball a postgame TM?

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Is Shadow Ball a postgame TM?

You get it in Terminus Cave, which is after either the 6th or 7th Gym.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Diggersby, if you have it. Surf/Cut/Rock Smash, I know work.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
After seeing how rad Mega Banette looks, I really want one. What do you think of

Banette @ Banettite
Jolly/252 HP 252 Att 4 Spe
Taunt
Thunder Wave/Swagger/Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Claw
Torment/Thunderbolt/Substitute

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

After seeing how rad Mega Banette looks, I really want one. What do you think of

Banette @ Banettite
Jolly/252 HP 252 Att 4 Spe
Taunt
Thunder Wave/Swagger/Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Claw
Torment/Thunderbolt/Substitute

How can you run a thing with Prankster that can Destiny Bond without using Destiny Bond?! D:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

How can you run a thing with Prankster that can Destiny Bond without using Destiny Bond?! D:

Maybe it has Cursed Body.

E: Oh right, Mega-Banette. Carry on then.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Countblanc posted:

So I'd use Destiny Bond more of a deterrent than a suicide attack?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just threw a bunch of Tyrunts I'd bred with Ice Fang and Poison Fang into the Wonder Trade to see what I'd get out of it.

Spoils of the day were:
  • French Hippopotas
  • French Scatterbug
  • Nidoran(M)
  • Pansear
  • Japanese Pidgey
  • Italian Lickitung
  • French Eevee
  • Pancham
  • a male Combee
  • Italian Scatterbug
  • Gastly
  • Charmander
  • another Pansear
  • Croagunk
  • French Noibat
  • French Tyrunt
  • Froakie
  • Farfetch'd
  • Pidgey
  • Japanese Honedge
  • Adamant Charmander with Flare Blitz
  • Gourgeist (not a Pumpkaboo, an already evolved Gourgeist)
  • French Charmander holding a Power Lens
  • Goomy
  • a Bunnelby named "you suck"
  • and a Mawile

Not a bad haul, overall. I think the Power Lens was a mistake, so I caught something to trade it back to the guy with. He ended up with a female Combee, and I got another Charmander from him, this one with Pokerus I am dumb, I misunderstood something on the trade screen. :downs: Though now I'm wondering if I should've just traded him back his original Charmander. :ohdear:

Regardless, really digging the whole Wonder Trade feature. It's fun tossing out stuff into the aether and seeing what comes back. Sometimes I get something good, sometimes I get junk, but either way I like to imagine someone out there was happy with what they got from me. :shobon:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 24, 2013

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

technolizard posted:

Diggersby, if you have it. Surf/Cut/Rock Smash, I know work.

My Diggersby has Strength as well.

Bred a box full of Larvitars today with an Italian Pupitar and a Ditto trying for a shiny. No luck, but I've got loads of Wonder Trade fodder now.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 24, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

So I'd use Destiny Bond more of a deterrent than a suicide attack?

No, use it to suicide. And use Shadow Sneak to pick stuff off.

Mega Banette is never going to be sweeping so using him to revenge kill really potent stuff, or sweepers who set up on you, with Shadow Sneak and Destiny Bond and using WoW and Taunt to cripple others will probably get you the most mileage.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
One day I'm gonna go rogue.
I'll breed a million Bidoofs and call them all "Try again". They'll all go through Wonder Trade.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Elderbean posted:

I use Linoone (Surf, Rock Smash, Strength). Doesn't get cut but it has pickup while not being as terrible looking as Diggersby. Also it gets Covet, which is nice for farming heart scales.

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

The Leper Colon V posted:

I like Umbreon! Best Foul Play user in the game, yo.

This is from like 80 pages ago but can someone enlighten me as to why?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pyrocat posted:

He's super specially bulky and can use curse to boost foul play I guess?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

JollyPubJerk posted:

It's new; the relearner existed in previous generations, but wouldn't teach egg moves.

Countblanc posted:

Assuming you have something in your party to use Surf (since it's actually a good attack), Hawlucha can Fly/Strength/Cut, and also Rock Smash and False Swipe.

Charizard can also run Fly/Strength/Cut/Rock Smash.

Pyrocat posted:

It's got enough bulk to take hits, and its low attacking stats don't matter since Foul Play runs off its target's Attack.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Elderbean posted:

Scruff the Linoone runs rock smash, cut, strength and surf, as well as being level 90 and giving me so much goddamn good poo poo from pickup

Not beaten the e4 yet :getin:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

He's super specially bulky and can use curse to boost foul play I guess?

Foul Play runs off your opponent's attack stat.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

Foul Play runs off your opponent's attack stat.

I thought it used the boosts from both pokemon, but that might just be the way Huge Power works

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ruggington posted:

I thought it used the boosts from both pokemon, but that might just be the way Huge Power works

Huge Power is special, yeah.

quote:

Foul Play inflicts damage. It uses the target's Attack stat to calculate damage, as opposed to the user's Attack stat. The target's stat boosts (anything that changes the stat stage, such as Swords Dance or Growl) are incorporated into the damage calculations. Any remaining boosts (such as Huge Power or Guts) are calculated with the user of Foul Play's items, Abilities, and status.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have taken photos of all the Battle Chatelaines!
http://imgur.com/a/OJuTX

Only after I've done all this did I see that there was a much higher-quality image set of them on tumblr :negative:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A fun trick with Prankster Destiny Bond is that the "take them with you" effect lingers until your next attack, so you could Destiny Bond on one turn and then, since you're slow as balls, Shadow Claw or whatever next turn and go second. This means they have to not kill you for two turns if they don't want to get dragged down to hell, and you might just get a free Shadow Claw kill out of it if they try to act cute and switch or something.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I have taken photos of all the Battle Chatelaines!
http://imgur.com/a/OJuTX

Only after I've done all this did I see that there was a much higher-quality image set of them on tumblr :negative:

I can't figure out what the second one is doing with her mouth.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

So, I was trying to catch a Nidoran male with hustle and was having difficulty getting the hordes to come. I was then informed that sweet scent attracts hordes only, and I knew because of my mawile that it could learn sweet scent. I went to a friend safari, to catch another mawile (didn't have a heart scale). Low and behold, a shiny mawile. I catch it immediately, name it, then look at it's nature.

Adamant.

I have a new mawile now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nita is a jerk who nearly ended my run on Singles with a Hypnosis-happy Purugly. How that thing is faster than a loving Mega Gengar, I will never know.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is there any benefit to medalling all the Super Trainings?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Bibarel is still the best HM end game slave. Unlike the other common normal HM slave fodder, he learns Waterfall in addition to Surf/Strength/Cut. Rock Smash is only a TM so you can always use it when apropros on one of your "real" Pokemon and re-use whatever TM is relevant again for that move slot.

Unfortunately, no pickup.

I used a Diggersby until I got waterfall then used Bibarel for the rest of the game. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I ended up training three separate Dragonites. Caught a Dragonair, bred it, raised the baby into a big doofy dragon. Stuck some HMs on the Dragonair, decided I wanted Fly as well, evolved that one too. Then I had another Dratini I Super Trained specifically to be good at the Secret Training. Turns out Dragonair has a lovely shot type. So, Dragonite number three. It's a good thing it's so easy to level critters up this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Dragonite is actually the best HM Slave because he also learns Fly. There are a few others that learn Fly/Surf/Strength/Waterfall, but he's one of the few that isn't a legendary.

• Locked thread