Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
poste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Any advice for a somewhat beginner player getting back into the game after a few years off? I was ~13k KGS and played even games with an ~11k AGA, but I haven't played a serious game in about 3 years. The nearest Go club is about an hour's drive away - should I just start grinding out games on KGS or something?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Yes. Join the internet server, play the games, read the books (have the books?)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Flying-PCP posted:

Are goons still hanging out on nova.gs? I made an account as 'adius' if someone wants to add me to the group. Hardly ever see activity on ITGO lately.

I'll add you when I get on in a bit, but you need to request access to the group :)

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 17, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Just logged in to Nova and they've doubled their userbase overnight by merging with OGS! OGS is now Nova and vice versa, bodes well for the future....

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Just logged in to Nova and they've doubled their userbase overnight by merging with OGS! OGS is now Nova and vice versa, bodes well for the future....

Yep, a boost in playerbase is just what Nova needed.

Digitsu
Aug 1, 2013
"Go google Zeitgeist and 'resource based economy'."

:smug:

Garfie posted:

I personally expect Go to be solved by impossible bots within our lifetime. Computing power is one of the main items holding it back. Once Chess is mastered by AI, people will turn their sights to Go for a challenge in computing.

I think a lot have, but still it eludes a 'solution' that can even get close to 1-3kyu human player. The issue I think is because Go isn't a problem that can be easily solved by exhaustively enumerating the possible positions of the board, due to the sheer number of possible moves.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Digitsu posted:

I think a lot have, but still it eludes a 'solution' that can even get close to 1-3kyu human player. The issue I think is because Go isn't a problem that can be easily solved by exhaustively enumerating the possible positions of the board, due to the sheer number of possible moves.

This might have been true 5 or 6 years ago but newer methods have produced bots that can take on 5d amateurs in blitz games.

The Monte Carlo method uses the sheer number of moves against human players in that even strong amateurs leave so much potential on the board that a super broad search isn't as necessary as you'd think. The issue with facing top pros is that they do walk a pretty narrow 'best move' path so that a Monte Carlo search isn't sufficient to beat them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
"Solution" is pretty well defined in game analysis. It means that you know who would win in a perfect game.
Even with chess we are still pretty far from even that, even though chess programms started beating top players around 10 years ago.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Go have been solved for 5x5 IIRC

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Go have been solved for 5x5 IIRC

It's solved for 6x6 as well, I think, with 7x7 getting close as well. The winning move is consistently black at tengen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Under 15 posted:

It's solved for 6x6 as well, I think, with 7x7 getting close as well. The winning move is consistently black at tengen.

It's solved for 3x3, too, with the same best move.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

A new thread for 2013 is up, feel free to bump it at opportune moments...

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Returning Beginner, I found this thread after stumbling across the GBS thread. I played Go in college with the local university club but hadn't played since then. Fast forward almost 10 years and I find that a coworker used to have a business selling go boards and go related accessories. He let me read from his library freely and it's rekindled a love for the game. I created an IGS account (cmhobbs) and I've been playing there when I can.

I've definitely improved since I started studying again, but I keep coming into sort of split-board end game situations where I lose by only a handful of points. There's usually a clear divide down the middle of the board, black surrounding territory on one side, white surrounding the other.

What's a good way to avoid such situations? I feel like maybe I'm playing too defensively, hugging one side when I can. I think the trigger for games like these is if my opponent can push an invasion that sets me on the defensive. I tend to start building a curtain at that point.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hard to say without actually seeing the game - if you use http://eidogo.com/upload to put the SGF up, I'll review your game. Also, there are people on KGS and OGS who will give you teaching games too...

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Could anyone help me with a life and death problem I have been struggling with?

Black to play.

Some answers in the spoiler:

From "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", the answer key says that Black-S19 is the winning move. After White-S18, Black-T19, White-Q18, Black-R19, the result is bent five in the corner.

I have a different answer - Black Q18.

If White takes with R18, Black-S19 hits the vital point. If White attempts to make another eye with P19 or R19, then Black can play at the other point and kill that way.

If White defends with S19 (bad), Black simply kills with R18.

If white defends with S18 instead, Black just takes with P19 - everything that follows seems to kill.

Am I missing something? I have a feeling that I am, but I can't find any defense that works for white after Black Q18. Is there one?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If

B Q18, W R18, B S19, then W S18, B P19, W T19 makes ko which is not as good. If B T19 then W P19 and lives.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

That's the one I was missing. Thanks!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So I tried out OGS. Couldn't even figure out how to mute the stone sound.

Also, could someone add me to the group? I use the same name as here.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

tonberrytoby posted:

There's a speaker icon alongside the board. Click it to disable sound.

I am really digging the new OGS. I only play correspondence on weekdays, but it's fun to watch people playing in real time.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Also, could someone add me to the group? I use the same name as here.

Could you try re-requesting? I didn't see a request, but it could be bugged...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is KGS still where all the goons play? The nova.gs client is much better looking. Either way I'm poo poo so

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
KGS is sitll where its AT

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah KGS. OGS if you want correspondence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8jvLp_FlMU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nice. Doesn't Tygem have all this already? Fuseki/Joseki helper and live score estimator at least.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Checking in to say that this is a very fun and good game. You probably knew this already.

Thanks for this thread, it helped preparing myself for the go club at University. I will start playing online as soon as i'm confident i can understand why i lose :)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is it fascism yet posted:

Checking in to say that this is a very fun and good game. You probably knew this already.

Thanks for this thread, it helped preparing myself for the go club at University. I will start playing online as soon as i'm confident i can understand why i lose :)

Just start on KGS now, there are some beginners, I've improved so quickly by just playing loads there.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

sensual donkey punching posted:

KGS is sitll where its AT

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Woss posts!? Looks like the signs that I have to start playing go again arriving.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

So what's the best online store for buying Go materials? I'd like to see a goon's reccomendation before I go out and search for one myself. I don't know if I can get a board + stones (Not magnetic) for under $50 though.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

So what's the best online store for buying Go materials? I'd like to see a goon's reccomendation before I go out and search for one myself. I don't know if I can get a board + stones (Not magnetic) for under $50 though.

I use Amazon for everything. Here's a link for a board with stones and shipping for $35.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I got a laminated-wood folding board and glass stones for 40 Euros. I think in the US you get something like this even cheaper.
http://www.amazon.de/Hebsacker-Verlag-Go-Spiel-Studenten-Go-Set-Master/dp/B001GXUKTG/

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Will go ever stop being terrifying?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

giogadi posted:

Will go ever stop being terrifying?

No, it actually gets worse as you improve and you begin to recognize the otherworldly, cyclopean horror for what it is

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Request sent for OGS

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Svartvit posted:

Request sent for OGS

You're in.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I played a 15k go robot with a 5 stone handicap (Since it said my rank was 19k?), and it resigned here. I thought it was doing pretty well, but was I wrong? Is anyone able to rate just how "okay" my playing is?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 19, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I still consider myself a novice, but my gut reaction is that no one will be able to say anything very conclusive because that game isn't finished.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

There still has to be a reason that he resigned at that point. (Or maybe I should be playing humans, but you can hardly find anyone on automatch within 2k range of me at this time.)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kheldragar posted:

I played a 15k go robot with a 5 stone handicap (Since it said my rank was 19k?), and it resigned here. I thought it was doing pretty well, but was I wrong? Is anyone able to rate just how "okay" my playing is?

White is dead all over the lower left part of the board and black has a commanding lead. Your last move there just sealed the deal by cutting off those white stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

All the white stones in the lower left corner are pretty much dead, that's a huge corner, worth around 20 in prisoners alone, and another 50 in territory. You've got another 20 points or so in the middle, for a total of something like 90. White has about 20-25 points at the top left. Meanwhile, though the right side of the board looks heavy in white, the few black stones that hang around there are absolute champs. I'm not good enough to calculate exactly what of white is dead, but it shouldn't be too hard for black to make two eyes bottom right at least.

Even if you'd do nothing and give away about 60 points there, black is still ahead.

e;fb, and much more concise too

More edit: The four black stones middle right look dead, but white can get about 30 points there tops.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 19, 2013