Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I know now that I want a retina mini, it's just a matter of getting the money for it. I don't mind waiting a few more months for it, even though it'll probably be difficult because I get an itch for new things. I want one with data, but I'm trying to decide on if I want a 32 or 64 GB. I would probably go 32 because I know how difficult it can be to keep a 16GB free. However, I would take the iPad to places that have wifi. I dunno. It's tough to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
According to a report on 9to5Mac the retina mini supplies will be severely constrained much like the gold iphone.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mediaphage posted:

What's the deal with Apple's order page for the iPads proclaiming that they will only work for the provider you select, when you hit the cellular options?

It controls which SIM comes with the device I believe. You can swap the SIM for most carriers, although I think Verizon also requires the IMEI to be one of theirs, so you wouldn't be able to take an AT&T iPad and move it to Verizon in the US.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Residency Evil posted:

drat, t-mobile is playing hard ball. Apparently they're going to be offering the iPads on their no-contract contracts. Buy the iPad, get a free 200 megs, the option to buy unlimited week passes for vacation, and spread the cost out over 2 years with 0 interest. I was on the fence about it, but it looks like a 32 gig lte is in my future. Now just to decide on air versus mini.

Got a link to this deal? Are the Tmo ipad prices the same? I've always gone with a wifi ipad, the extra $130 for the cellular doesn't seem worth it (when I can just tether it to my lte phone).

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

porktree posted:

Got a link to this deal? Are the Tmo ipad prices the same? I've always gone with a wifi ipad, the extra $130 for the cellular doesn't seem worth it (when I can just tether it to my lte phone).

For what it's worth, I've always found the cellular model to be pretty worthwhile. I like having GPS on my ipad, but mostly it comes down to battery life. In situations where I'm using my ipad on cellular, I usually don't want to run down the battery on my phone at the same time. That said, it's always a pretty tough choice since you can spend $30 less and get more storage space instead.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

porktree posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/23/4947704/t-mobile-makes-free-ipad-data-offer-official

I've always done the WiFi iPad but I'm seriously considering getting the AT&T model and getting a TMobile SIM. 200mb for free is nothing to laugh at. I'm not sure how much google/apple maps use in terms of data but I'd love to use my iPad on car trips as a GPS.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

suddenlyissoon posted:

According to a report on 9to5Mac the retina mini supplies will be severely constrained much like the gold iphone.

This is the only thing that has me considering the iPad Air. I currently have a Mini, and I love the form factor, but the lack of a retina display is a real drag. The increased demand on the Mini + low quantities available at launch, no preordering and launching later in November when holiday shopping kicks off probably means lots of frustration, and repeatedly showing up to stores trying to find out when the next shipment arrives.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

suddenlyissoon posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/23/4947704/t-mobile-makes-free-ipad-data-offer-official

I've always done the WiFi iPad but I'm seriously considering getting the AT&T model and getting a TMobile SIM. 200mb for free is nothing to laugh at. I'm not sure how much google/apple maps use in terms of data but I'd love to use my iPad on car trips as a GPS.

Why wouldn't you buy the t-mo version? Are you talking about carrying an AT&T plan, but swapping in a t-mo sim once a month for the extra 200mb?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've got a 32gb AT&T white iPad Mini that I'm thinking of trying to trade in or sell. Amazon looks like it would give me about $300 credit, which will go a long way to pay for the 16gb retina wifi mini I want to pick up (I really only use it for reading and a few games, so the storage space and cellular access isn't necessary for me). Should I go with that, or pop it on Craigslist to see if I can get more?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EC posted:

I've got a 32gb AT&T white iPad Mini that I'm thinking of trying to trade in or sell. Amazon looks like it would give me about $300 credit, which will go a long way to pay for the 16gb retina wifi mini I want to pick up (I really only use it for reading and a few games, so the storage space and cellular access isn't necessary for me). Should I go with that, or pop it on Craigslist to see if I can get more?

You're generally better off (price wise) to sell it yourself on craigslist. BUT, do you want to deal with all of that is the question to be answered.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Why wouldn't you buy the t-mo version? Are you talking about carrying an AT&T plan, but swapping in a t-mo sim once a month for the extra 200mb?

I guess you could do it either way but I assume the AT&T model will be easier to find.

Walmart is going to offer the iPad Air starting at 479 at launch

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/24/walmart-to-offer-ipad-air-for-479-on-a-roll-back-launch/

Still not a good enough reason for me to go in to Walmart though.

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

It controls which SIM comes with the device I believe. You can swap the SIM for most carriers, although I think Verizon also requires the IMEI to be one of theirs, so you wouldn't be able to take an AT&T iPad and move it to Verizon in the US.
This could be interesting, actually. Apple's website doesn't list separate carrier versions of the new iPads since they're likely using the same radios as the 5s. Verizon's 700 MHz LTE network is supposed to allow open access to arbitrary devices, although Nexus 7 owners ran into problems with it. I'm curious to see if having iPads trying to the same will make Verizon budge.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

suddenlyissoon posted:

I guess you could do it either way but I assume the AT&T model will be easier to find.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/10/24/walmart-to-offer-ipad-air-for-479-on-a-roll-back-launch/

I was thinking about ordering from MacMall. For some reason they only take ipad orders via telephone, but I'm hoping they just middle-man an order to drop ship from Apple. If it works, that's still a bit cheaper than the Walmart sale if you consider tax.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

suddenlyissoon posted:

Our walmart won't carry anything because they think we're too much of a bunch of rednecks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I'm looking for this, PMing you for more info.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

This could be interesting, actually. Apple's website doesn't list separate carrier versions of the new iPads since they're likely using the same radios as the 5s. Verizon's 700 MHz LTE network is supposed to allow open access to arbitrary devices, although Nexus 7 owners ran into problems with it. I'm curious to see if having iPads trying to the same will make Verizon budge.

The store does though. If you want to be safe, buy the verizon version and stock up on SIMs from tmobile and att.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

MrBond posted:

The store does though. If you want to be safe, buy the verizon version and stock up on SIMs from tmobile and att.

I did this when I got my iPad 3 while I was in the Army, and wasn't sure if where I was going to be stationed would have better Verizon or AT&T service. I never ended up using the Verizon SIM, but the peace of mind was nice. I wonder how many Verizon devices they have sold that never used that network?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

dexter6 posted:

I have the New iPad 3 and was totally going to get a mini if they introduced Retina and TouchID. Well, I'm another person who is spoiled by touchID. I actually try just about every time to unlock my iPad that way and get frustrated when it doesn't have it.

I was hoping to get an iPad this release cycle, but I'm also bailing because of no Touch ID. I wonder if they'll release a new one with Touch ID in 6 months or so, a la the iPad 4 release.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
TouchID wasn't that huge a deal to me, but at least it would be something. I just can't justify upgrading from my iPad 3rd gen for a bit of weight reduction and a smaller bezel. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade so I could pass along my 3rd gen to family, but I think I'll hold off till the next model.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I can't wait to release my iPad 2 and iPad mini upon my family after getting the new iPad Air.

I just hope that I can get the data version from tmobile fairly easily... I'm in New York City and wonder if it'll sell out or whatever.

Do apple stores generally stock a lot of that or should I go to a tmobile location instead?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple always tries to stock as much as possible. If they don't allow pre-orders I bet it's going to be difficult to buy for a few weeks though.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Do you think they'll have T-Mobile models in stock at Apple Stores?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Nihiliste posted:

Do you think they'll have T-Mobile models in stock at Apple Stores?

They should have most models in stock at apple stores. The only one iffy is the 128 GB model maybe. There are 40 different models this time around though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My iPad 4 had a wake-lock or something today, which I've never encountered before in iOS. I had it in my bag all day, went to use it at ~5 PM and the thing was warm and had burned it's battery down 70%. It shouldn't have had any apps backgrounded either because it was freshly rebooted when I tossed it in my bag this morning.

I turned it off and will have to play around with it tonight and see if I can figure out what was going on based on the logs, but it was bizarre to say the least.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My iPad 4 had a wake-lock or something today, which I've never encountered before in iOS. I had it in my bag all day, went to use it at ~5 PM and the thing was warm and had burned it's battery down 70%. It shouldn't have had any apps backgrounded either because it was freshly rebooted when I tossed it in my bag this morning.

I turned it off and will have to play around with it tonight and see if I can figure out what was going on based on the logs, but it was bizarre to say the least.

Do you use some sort of cover to it?

When I travel with mine, I stick it in a backpack as well. I use a Smart Cover, and it seems that as the bag moves around, it unlocks/locks the iPad repeatedly every time it gets jostled. I noticed my battery went down a big quicker than normal when it does this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Do you use some sort of cover to it?

When I travel with mine, I stick it in a backpack as well. I use a Smart Cover, and it seems that as the bag moves around, it unlocks/locks the iPad repeatedly every time it gets jostled. I noticed my battery went down a big quicker than normal when it does this.
It's a Smart Cover, but it's in a tablet pouch in my bag that'll keep it from opening. There's no way it could have been woken up by the Smart Cover.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on what it does tomorrow.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Are the smart covers worth the money? Probably will be going with an air and might pick up a leather Smart Cover at the same time.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'm surprised so many people want touch ID in their iPads. My iPad stays at home 99% of the time, so I don't need the security since it's not going to be falling into the wrong hands unless someone breaks into my apartment. I guess it'd be useful if I kept sensitive stuff on it that I didn't want guests to see, but it woud mostly just be an annoyance since it usually takes a couple tries to register my thumbprint on the 5S anyway.

I'm sure many people use their iPads differently and it's totally legitimate that they might want Touch ID for any number of reasons, I'm just genuinely surprised that so many people seem to be disgruntled about its absence.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tacier posted:

I'm surprised so many people want touch ID in their iPads. My iPad stays at home 99% of the time, so I don't need the security since it's not going to be falling into the wrong hands unless someone breaks into my apartment.
iCloud Keychain requires a device lock, I believe.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tacier posted:

I'm sure many people use their iPads differently and it's totally legitimate that they might want Touch ID for any number of reasons, I'm just genuinely surprised that so many people seem to be disgruntled about its absence.

It's a laziness convenience thing. I'm so used to it on my 5S, that I keep expecting to unlock my ipad mini that way.

That said, I'm just using it as an excuse to not upgrade my iPad mini so quickly. The Retina screen would be nice but if I wait till next year it'll have touch ID too!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

No, just a code to activate it on the device.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I was thinking of using iCloud Keychain but I did not know that. Now I want Touch ID on my iPad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tacier posted:

I was thinking of using iCloud Keychain but I did not know that. Now I want Touch ID on my iPad.

It does not require it. Just for the initial setup. Then you can turn device lock off.

Source: wife's iPhone, which I had to assign a PIN and device lock to turn on iCloud Keychain. She flipped out. I turned it off. All is well now, and keychain in-tact.

She dislikes security, so oh well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, just a code to activate it on the device.
I guess it's only if you want this feature turned on (which I do):

quote:

How does iCloud Keychain handle websites that do not allow Safari AutoFill?

You can allow Safari to remember and autofill account names and passwords for all websites:

Devices using iOS 7.0.3 or later :
Go to Settings > Safari> Passwords & Autofill.
Turn on Always Allow. To use this feature, you must have a passcode lock on your device.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's a Smart Cover, but it's in a tablet pouch in my bag that'll keep it from opening. There's no way it could have been woken up by the Smart Cover.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on what it does tomorrow.

It doesn't open the cover, it just slides it just enough to activate the unlock.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It doesn't open the cover, it just slides it just enough to activate the unlock.

Yikes. Don't have that problem with my otter box thankfully. I got three year old twins and work in brutal environment otherwise I would use something more streamlined.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

This is why I am looking forward to the more iPad mini like design since the smart cover won't be as prone to bunching up on the hinge and wiggling around to unlock.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tacier posted:

I'm surprised so many people want touch ID in their iPads.
I don't want it for the unlock, I want it for entering my iTunes password.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just noticed that they're shipping the new retina mini with a 10w charger, while the non-retina version still gets the phone-style 5w.

The batteries are 23.4 vs 23.8 W/h, so no substantial difference there. Do people think the current mini charges slowly? I've never thought so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

eddiewalker posted:

I just noticed that they're shipping the new retina mini with a 10w charger, while the non-retina version still gets the phone-style 5w.

The batteries are 23.4 vs 23.8 W/h, so no substantial difference there. Do people think the current mini charges slowly? I've never thought so.

For the time I owned it, yes, I thought it charged slow for sure.