Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boner Wad posted:

I am S-Off. I'll probably root it anyways so maybe I'll just get a Google Play ROM. Once you root you lose OTAs, right?

Out of curiosity, what are you running now?

I'm on the stock t-mobile 4.3 rooted right now but when the play edition gets updated to 4.4 I'm probably going to change my CID and MID again and move to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

What is ion in the context of CyanogenMod? I often see changes related to it on the logs but I know basically nothing about Android development, so I didn't understand the pages I found when I tried Googling.

https://github.com/koush/ion has some examples and explanations of ion's features.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I don't think I could ever move to the GP edition of Android on my HTC One - you lose so much goodness in the camera.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

Android-Wifi-Tether. Always this app. Been that way for years.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=android.tether&hl=en

Not compatible with Nexus 4. Got a recommendation for that device? Running CM latest version and right now I just use the built in tether. I'd like to hide it from my carrier if CM isn't doing that already.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I'm on the stock t-mobile 4.3 rooted right now but when the play edition gets updated to 4.4 I'm probably going to change my CID and MID again and move to that.

Edit: answered in another thread. Sorry I'm just running around trying to figure out the best way to switch to T-Mobile and get an HTC One.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 23, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

I don't think I could ever move to the GP edition of Android on my HTC One - you lose so much goodness in the camera.

That's one of the biggest reasons I stuck with touchwiz on my GS3, that and stability.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

ScarletBrother posted:

Not compatible with Nexus 4. Got a recommendation for that device? Running CM latest version and right now I just use the built in tether. I'd like to hide it from my carrier if CM isn't doing that already.
I don't know if the cyanogenmod tethering is hiding TTL info, but your ISP could still tell if you are tethering from data being transmitted fairly easily. Look up what people are saying about your particular carrier. Some are only detecting based on TTL while some are supposedly looking at the metadata on some of your packets which can include your browser, resolution, native operating system, and lots more. If they are detecting based on that you need to encrypt everything with a VPN.

Some also don't do anything, I think Verizon despite charging for tethering can't actually do anything to you if they detect it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

THF13 posted:

I don't know if the cyanogenmod tethering is hiding TTL info, but your ISP could still tell if you are tethering from data being transmitted fairly easily. Look up what people are saying about your particular carrier. Some are only detecting based on TTL while some are supposedly looking at the metadata on some of your packets which can include your browser, resolution, native operating system, and lots more. If they are detecting based on that you need to encrypt everything with a VPN.

Some also don't do anything, I think Verizon despite charging for tethering can't actually do anything to you if they detect it.

I have AT&T and they have not does anything so far. I also don't tether too much data, basically only when I'm on the road and there is no hotel wifi. Thanks for the tips.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

big mean giraffe posted:

That's one of the biggest reasons I stuck with touchwiz on my GS3, that and stability.

Yeah, the ROM I'm on on my Note 2 is a TouchWiz ROM with a more stock look. Stability of TouchWiz, design principles of AOSP - best of both worlds.

Plus all the Sammy stuff works too.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well after 10 minutes of PA I'm not super impressed, I think i definitely prefer having the home/back buttons always there instead of having to swipe to bring up pie.

This is my first time rooting/custom romming, any must have apps I should get? Is titanium back up pro worth the money or does the free version do enough?

Edit: Carbon looks like combines the best features of PA and CM. Anyone familar with it?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 23, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone with a SGS4 google play edition (or someone with a custom release) can tell me if it's worth over touchwiz? I'm really thinking on dropping touchwiz since I don't use any facial or hand gesture feature and I use Nova for my interface anyways and I get a clean OS without all samsung poo poo and probably 4.4 soon.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ScarletBrother posted:

The one they keep on the Play Store is oddly enough not always the best one.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

Sideload 3.3b2 on your N4 and see what happens. I can't speak for certain if Cyanogenmod is hiding tethering.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
CM as far as I've heard just has the aosp unmodified hotspot, not hiding anything.

Any hotspot app real or hypothetical that could 100% hide tethering from your carrier is almost surely going to require some sort of intermediary server elsewhere on the internet, be it vpn, ssh or otherwise and if you aren't setting that server up yourself you are about %99.9 sure to be paying someone for its use.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 24, 2013

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: Carbon looks like combines the best features of PA and CM. Anyone familar with it?

Carbon has been good to me so far on a Note 2. Their 4.3 tree is day-to-day usable now, although they've had some sort of flag day with the telephony engine that precludes the kernel I like. :saddowns:

The 4.2.2 stable branch is excellent. Go for it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm encountering a weird issue with the DPS Manager in CM10 on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I enabled the EQ, but it doesn't seem to work properly - if I pick a preset, it doesn't seem to take effect until I tap the little graph to open it up and mess with the sliders. I'll hear the change once I do that, but when I hit Okay it audibly reverts back to how it was before.

The sliders are still how I left them, and if I hit the graph again I'll hear the change, but only while that window is open. Anyone encounter something similar?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

ArcMage posted:

Carbon has been good to me so far on a Note 2. Their 4.3 tree is day-to-day usable now, although they've had some sort of flag day with the telephony engine that precludes the kernel I like. :saddowns:

The 4.2.2 stable branch is excellent. Go for it.

I'm loving carbon on my s3. 4.2.x was unusable on my phone, but 4.3 is solid. Ive been on one of the nightlies for a few weeks now, totally solid. Not sure if leankernel will work after those telephony changes, so I'm holding off updates.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone running Carbon on the Sprint S4? I'm tired of the constant connectivity issues with the past several CM 10.2 nightlies and I don't feel like going back to 10.1. Is it worth checking out over vanilla CM? I'm mostly trying to avoid XDA as much as possible after owning an Evo 3D.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

Anyone running Carbon on the Sprint S4? I'm tired of the constant connectivity issues with the past several CM 10.2 nightlies and I don't feel like going back to 10.1. Is it worth checking out over vanilla CM? I'm mostly trying to avoid XDA as much as possible after owning an Evo 3D.

By connectivity issues, do you mean losing your data connection for long periods of time? I fixed that issue on my s3 by flashing back to stock and backing up my APN list with APN Backup and Restore, then flashing back to CM and deleting the existing APN list and restoring the new one. The app will need to be converted to a system app in titanium backup before you can delete or restore.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Any of you guys in the CyanogenMod Installer beta? I installed it via the installer, but now my phone doesn't have root. Can I get root back using the same method as you use to root when stock?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

b0nes posted:

Any of you guys in the CyanogenMod Installer beta? I installed it via the installer, but now my phone doesn't have root. Can I get root back using the same method as you use to root when stock?

You certainly can. I'm not sure why you lost it in the first place, though. If you still have a custom recovery you might be able to restore it from there, too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

You know that CM "ships" with root disabled, right? It's somewhere in the settings to turn it back on.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

By connectivity issues, do you mean losing your data connection for long periods of time? I fixed that issue on my s3 by flashing back to stock and backing up my APN list with APN Backup and Restore, then flashing back to CM and deleting the existing APN list and restoring the new one. The app will need to be converted to a system app in titanium backup before you can delete or restore.

Interesting. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is but all I know is any nightly after 10/11 gives me 0 reception anywhere I go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FlyingCheese posted:

Interesting. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is but all I know is any nightly after 10/11 gives me 0 reception anywhere I go.

Well that's not the issue I was having (I still had a signal, but data would drop out seemingly randomly). You could still try the APN fix but CM10.2 might just have terrible issues on the S4.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

What I don't get is that in the previous nightlies before this whole thing, reception was pretty flawless. My phone works GREAT running the 10/11 nightly. I mean, I get that they're nightlies and sometimes big issues crop up, but how could you break something that significant and just not fix it for weeks at a time? Do the maintainters even use the phone they maintain?

Edit: according to XDA, some people are reporting 10/24 works great while others are reporting constant crashing. Same with 10/26, even on a clean flash. What the hell did they do to CM?

Edit 2: It's also kind of interesting to see that the built-in updater only shows the last 3 nightlies. Didn't know that.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 27, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

FlyingCheese posted:

What I don't get is that in the previous nightlies before this whole thing, reception was pretty flawless. My phone works GREAT running the 10/11 nightly. I mean, I get that they're nightlies and sometimes big issues crop up, but how could you break something that significant and just not fix it for weeks at a time? Do the maintainters even use the phone they maintain?

Edit: according to XDA, some people are reporting 10/24 works great while others are reporting constant crashing. Same with 10/26, even on a clean flash. What the hell did they do to CM?

Edit 2: It's also kind of interesting to see that the built-in updater only shows the last 3 nightlies. Didn't know that.

A few weeks ago they released 3 nightlies for N7 2012 which refused to boot so who can say how much testing they do.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

LastInLine posted:

You know that CM "ships" with root disabled, right? It's somewhere in the settings to turn it back on.

It's in Dev options. You have to first enable dev options by mashing on the Build Number under phone options, and you should have a root option available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

A few weeks ago they released 3 nightlies for N7 2012 which refused to boot so who can say how much testing they do.
They do no testing at all. That's what automatic nightly builds are: untested builds that occur without any human interaction. They don't care if the nightly builds work or not.

As for what the device maintainers are using, it isn't nightly builds. They're using future commits in custom builds because what logic is there in using builds with only the commits that have already been accepted?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I saw that the Verizon GS4 updated to 4.3 today. I'm still on the original release (VRUAME7) with a custom bootloader and root. Is there anyway to get the new update without a) losing root and b) wiping my phone? I really only use root for light flow light and backing things up with titanium backup. Trying to update normally just causes the system to freakout when it reaches the custom bootloader.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

axeil posted:

So I saw that the Verizon GS4 updated to 4.3 today. I'm still on the original release (VRUAME7) with a custom bootloader and root. Is there anyway to get the new update without a) losing root and b) wiping my phone? I really only use root for light flow light and backing things up with titanium backup. Trying to update normally just causes the system to freakout when it reaches the custom bootloader.

I would wait on these forums until someone builds out a ROM that removes those checks and cruft. Someone already posted the OTA on the boards which means people are on the job.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2314

Right now I am making the decision if I can wait until Verizon releases 4.3 for my S3 or go ahead and upgrade to some sort of rom like Cynogen but those guys seem to have real problems with keeping the camera function or making GPS just not work at all. I hope 4.3 updates soon because 4.1.2 just utterly hosed my GPS two ways to sunday (and yes I tried screw-fixing it)

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

EVIR Gibson posted:

I would wait on these forums until someone builds out a ROM that removes those checks and cruft. Someone already posted the OTA on the boards which means people are on the job.

Right now I am making the decision if I can wait until Verizon releases 4.3 for my S3 or go ahead and upgrade to some sort of rom like Cynogen but those guys seem to have real problems with keeping the camera function or making GPS just not work at all. I hope 4.3 updates soon because 4.1.2 just utterly hosed my GPS two ways to sunday (and yes I tried screw-fixing it)

FWIW CM has been great on my Verizon S3 lately. I flash a nightly every two weeks or so and haven't had any problems in months. Camera, GPS, battery life, Wallet, LTE, WIFI, and anything else I ever want to use works just fine, Focal was even working pretty well before the CM community turned into some kind of e/n thread.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bobert51 posted:

FWIW CM has been great on my Verizon S3 lately. I flash a nightly every two weeks or so and haven't had any problems in months. Camera, GPS, battery life, Wallet, LTE, WIFI, and anything else I ever want to use works just fine, Focal was even working pretty well before the CM community turned into some kind of e/n thread.

Oh thanks for the voucher on it. It tipped me over the edge to try it out!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got tired of waiting for Samsung to roll 4.3 PHE (sim unlocked, Spain) for my S4 so I made the jump to 4.3 Google Edition. The only thing I miss from touchwiz is the camera app. Can I flash the samsung camera or any other in?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I finally got a new phone, HTC One T-Mobile edition (has one more band?). It came rooted and s-off but seems to be running stock. I heard that 4.3 came with Sense 5.5, but when I looked at the version, it says 4.3, but Sense 5.0. Is that possible?

Any recommendations on what rom I should be using for an HTC One? I used CM 7 on my HTC Evo and liked it quite a bit. Anyone have experience with CM on a HTC One? (does it matter if the rom is specific to my T-mobile version?)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

EVIR Gibson posted:

Oh god I've forgotten how awful XDA threads are :gonk:. I've not read anything there since back in my Galaxy Nexus years when I had to use ROMs since the updating process for the Nexus was so hosed up on Verizon. Finding useful information is torture.

If someone makes a completely stock build that strips out the checks that disable root will I need to do a complete wipe or can I flash over the stock VRUAME7 build with a cache wipe?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone ever do something like flash a Sprint phone to work on Virgin Mobile? Is it something that can be done reliably on a Sprint Galaxy S3 or is it just a lovely hack that I shouldn't even attempt?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

That's what I hear but either i'm blind or can't find the options. I found the hidden dev options but no root access settings.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 31, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

That's what I hear but either i'm blind or can't find the options. I found the hidden dev options but no root access settings.
Developer Options, sixth option down just prior to the Debugging section.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Between CM and Tasker, is there a way to run a daydream only during the day? I like the concept, but my wife wants it as dark as possible at night.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I'm having problems with my 2012 Nexus 7 battery draining at high speed & not charging past ~20% or so. What's the best method of backing up and restoring apps and settings so I can reformat the phone? Titanium backup? Will doing this likely just inject the same problem back into the new install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Unicorn Vomit posted:

I'm having problems with my 2012 Nexus 7 battery draining at high speed & not charging past ~20% or so. What's the best method of backing up and restoring apps and settings so I can reformat the phone? Titanium backup? Will doing this likely just inject the same problem back into the new install?
Sounds like a hardware issue. Titanium wouldn't cause the problem to reoccur but if it did, simply wipe and only restore batches of apps at a time to find the culprit.

hooah posted:

Between CM and Tasker, is there a way to run a daydream only during the day? I like the concept, but my wife wants it as dark as possible at night.
I don't know about Tasker but CM offers no way to do this. Quiet Hours is close, but doesn't have Daydream control.