Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Starling PD is so hilariously inept it makes Gotham's PD look like geniuses. They don't have any manpower to protect truckloads of opiates but have 30 SWAT guys to try to bust the one dude taking down criminals in the city.

You can't have a vigilante in a city with a functioning police department. Batman gets away with it at times because he's fighting super-villains. So SCPD has to be incompetent, corrupt, or have its head up its rear end. Corruption is out because if that was the theme then the Hood would have spent half the first season arrowing badges and that wouldn't fly. So you're left with a blend of incompetence (inability to do basic police functions) and rear end-haberdashery (chasing the wrong guys, accidentally protecting the bad guy). I'd agree the show lays it on a bit thick, but it's a necessary part of the plot.

It's kinda funny actually - in "softer" comics settings, with the aliens and super-mutants, you're already suspending disbelief enough that stuff like PD staffing decisions doesn't even merit notice, but in harder settings the minor stuff like that stands out more. Sort of like an "uncanny valley" of comic book settings.

Lawlicaust posted:

Haifa Wehne or Jenna Dewan as Talia.

It's the CW. Their version of Talia will be 22 and played by some smoking hot actress you've never heard of. 50/50 odds on her having any acting ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Any chance Summer Glau ends up being Talia?

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

I don't understand how this keeps getting better. They are really hitting it out of the loving park, my god. Sooo happy at the quick resolution to the "blame arrow for Tommy" plot.

Yes. I find it very satisfying that we can move beyond that part. I was worried they were going to drag it out for a while. Referring to preview for next week: Preview for next week is the reveal of Black Canary it seems like--and considering Oliver immediately drops his hood, I think the previous speculation on identity is correct.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I wonder if this means in regards to next week and the rest of the season Black Canary will end up being the villian for the season as she was brought back by Ra? Then Laurial will try to redeem the name/sister and that is why she joins with Ollie?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if this means in regards to next week and the rest of the season Black Canary will end up being the villian for the season as she was brought back by Ra? Then Laurial will try to redeem the name/sister and that is why she joins with Ollie?

I really hope this isn't the case. Also, I don't think Oliver is being taken away from the island just imprisoned on that boat. Also, if the boat is named Amazo, and their looking for some weird hosed up thing on the island... possible introduction of Proffessor Ivo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the season opener, when Dig and Felicity were dropping in on Ollie on the island, wasn't there a shipwreck that looked a lot like the freighter these new guys came in on?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ivo would explain the weird-rear end skulls, as he was going for his lizard life prolongation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

In the season opener, when Dig and Felicity were dropping in on Ollie on the island, wasn't there a shipwreck that looked a lot like the freighter these new guys came in on?

Yes, that ship is wrecked in the present.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yep, the ship is mostly submerged through the midsection. The bridge is still sticking out of water though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Deakul posted:

drat, always had an interest in checking out the show just because it has a live action Harley Quinn.

The show is pretty bad (in a campy way) but the actress ho plays Harlene Quinzel really sells what she gets as far as writing goes. It's only 13 episodes, I'd give it a try.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Klungar posted:

I doubt it. It'd pretty much be a retread of TDKR and I don't think the show is lazy enough to try to pull that. Plus Glau's character, Isabel Rochev, is already an established Green Arrow character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klungar posted:

That'd be a little too close to the Nolan movies version.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm perfectly fine with the show being a Spartacus and Firefly refugee camp.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WarLocke posted:

The show is pretty bad (in a campy way) but the actress ho plays Harlene Quinzel really sells what she gets as far as writing goes. It's only 13 episodes, I'd give it a try.

Yeah, sure, couldn't hurt I guess.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, let's not understate this show's propensity for aping the Nolan films.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I wonder if they'll go full comics, and if Canary is Sarah, then that she did die, and was raised by a Lazarus Pit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

I wonder if they'll go full comics, and if Canary is Sarah, then that she did die, and was raised by a Lazarus Pit.

I have a feeling that is the way they are going due to Ra.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
At least now we know how Malcolm might return.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

At least now we know how Malcolm might return.

I am thinking that it will either be due to Ra sticking him in the pit or just a flashback with him training with Ra.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
When Diggle and Felicity flew into the island in the opener, who was flying the plane?

Edit: and how did they get off the island?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Daric posted:

When Diggle and Felicity flew into the island in the opener, who was flying the plane?

They hired a pilot (who owned the plane) to fly them to the island.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daric posted:

Edit: and how did they get off the island?

They radioed for a boat? Presumably Ollie didn't literally strand himself again, he could've left at any time, he just didn't want to.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It's hard not to make the association, but it's not, in fact, the island from Lost.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Judging by all the shirtless photos of the main characters, I just assumed they swam to and from the island.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ville Valo posted:

It's hard not to make the association, but it's not, in fact, the island from Lost.

The last shot of the season they'll pan away and we'll see the plane crash from lost happen. Then the Lost logo will show up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leb posted:

Judging by all the shirtless photos of the main characters, I just assumed they swam to and from the island.

Part of being a super-hero is cutting the amount of time wasted on laundry day?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

etalian posted:

Part of being a super-hero is cutting the amount of time wasted on laundry day?

Well, if Felicity won't fetch coffee, she sure as hell isn't picking up his dry-cleaning.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Well, let's not understate this show's propensity for aping the Nolan films.

Only way better.

I love the Dr. Fraser is in this now too. The bestest doctor can now be the bestest lawyer! :allears:

This show loving owns so much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

hcreight posted:

They hired a pilot (who owned the plane) to fly them to the island.

I haven't seen the new episodes yet, but I must ask if the pilot was related somehow with Ferris Aircraft. It would be really nice if they'll introduce Hal like that.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I haven't seen the new episodes yet, but I must ask if the pilot was related somehow with Ferris Aircraft. It would be really nice if they'll introduce Hal like that.

He was an old Chinese guy, so yeah, totally.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taffer posted:

This show loving owns so much.

I love how it doesn't waste time and avoids the filler episode of the week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really happy they moved past that arc so quickly cause I hate those types of storylines "Oh its all his fault!" 15 episodes later " You were right it was me!" 10 episodes later " I've come to grips with myself."

Just a lovely way to drag out drama, there's enough drama in the show with his mom being on trial, finding out about what happened on the island. Roy and his sister etc...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Robotnik DDS posted:

Aw man, why they gotta pronounce Ra's the Nolan way

I was a bit disappointed by this, but it doesn't stop the :tviv: that they're actually allowed to use the League of Assassins, Ra's al Ghul, and all the extra fun stuff that comes with that. This is some amazing loving TV. They aren't shy about making the Dollmaker 110% creepy as gently caress. Lance called his daughter out, and by the end of the episode, the 'blame everything on (Green) Arrow because I'm dumb' wraps up. I'm sure there will still be a police plot going on, but it'll now have Laurel weighing it down rather than carrying it. I'm interested to see how they write that because I'm not sure she is the type to be able to keep that kind of charade up. I was pretty amazed that she actually set a trap for Oliver last episode.

But drat, this show constantly one ups itself. I only worry about how long the writers can keep that up. I never want to come down from this at this point. They keep the pace up, name drop constantly, and keep everything tied together. Even Roy being incompetent at avoiding trouble. Like, seriously. How genre blind do you have to be?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

etalian posted:

I love how it doesn't waste time and avoids the filler episode of the week.

It's 22-23 episodes a season. There's eventually going to be a little filler. And that's fine. As long as they don't draw huge stories out past their expiration date filler is fine. Just because it's plot filler doesn't mean it can't be fun.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Deadpool posted:

It's 22-23 episodes a season. There's eventually going to be a little filler. And that's fine. As long as they don't draw huge stories out past their expiration date filler is fine. Just because it's plot filler doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I said that about the first 2 seasons of Nikita, poo poo kept moving.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would be shocked if we ever see Ra's in the show. But if it gets popular enough I suppose anything is possible.

When Slade and Ollie were looking at the ship through the binoculars, I noticed a large red pagoda-ish building. Have we seen that before?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Whiteycar posted:

I said that about the first 2 seasons of Nikita, poo poo kept moving.

And then there was the third season....

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Hollis posted:

I'm really happy they moved past that arc so quickly cause I hate those types of storylines "Oh its all his fault!" 15 episodes later " You were right it was me!" 10 episodes later " I've come to grips with myself."

Just a lovely way to drag out drama, there's enough drama in the show with his mom being on trial, finding out about what happened on the island. Roy and his sister etc...

I'm pretty sure the entire point of that arc was to set up the badass 'smash through ceiling and stun everyone for dramatic escape scene'.

I'm entirely okay with this.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

zoux posted:

I would be shocked if we ever see Ra's in the show. But if it gets popular enough I suppose anything is possible.

When Slade and Ollie were looking at the ship through the binoculars, I noticed a large red pagoda-ish building. Have we seen that before?

I thought that was weird too. They just kind of threw that in with literally zero explanation. I would guess that slade and ollie knew about it. Because otherwise you'd think they'd say "hey, look at that huge building. Oh yeah there's a boat too."

Or maybe the building was wearing green eye paint, so in show characters couldn't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Closer inspection in HDizzle shows it to be old, knackered and overgrown... could just be scenery, it is an Asian island.

• Locked thread