Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Necroneocon posted:

Make it an AAR on the Paradox forums and make sure you take over all Balkan countries and any other crazy nationalists on that forum to make them really, really mad please.
Making people mad is a terrible motivation for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Making people mad is a terrible motivation for anything.

Jajajajajajaja ))

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Any progamers pulled off the Erik the Heathen start? I tried it now and misfired the first time, and then the second time I randomly converted to catholicism when I was blasting through Finland. Can I avoid the conversion event? I know in the earlier starts you can just imprison the priest, but I think if I am a vassal I don't get a choice if my liege's court chaplain converts me.

Here is how I did it earlier this Summer when I did a playthrough: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post417903463

The only thing I could add was that I immediately divorced my Catholic wife which I remember having an effect on your ruler conversion chance.

marktheando posted:

Yeah Old Gods is just so much content that even at full price it's a bargain. I've played it a bunch and there's still so much I haven't tried yet. Next I'm thinking of trying Norse hard mode- a game as Erik the Heathen in 1066, has anyone tried this?
Yes, and it is indeed Norse Hard Mode. Best thing I found to do was to choose the Become King ambition, and subjugate remainder of Sweden. Conquer small Catholic rulers as you can, and subjugate the Tribe of Obotrites. This will get you the counties needed to kick the Jomsvikings event into action (event will fire only after you are King of Sweden though). Raid Italian republics. Once you have a power base, start stabbing to remove the Swedish king's allies (most likely Denmark and/or Norway at this point). Once that is done, take the crown. After that, you should have enough prestige to prepare an invasion, If Norway controls England, go for Denmark (Denmark's troops will allow you to better take on Norway if you are forming Scandinavia). If England controls England, go for England. If you attack Denmark, be prepared for HRE getting involved. As with earlier, you will have 2 years prep time to stab away any allies that will be problematic.

This is a very difficult start.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
How long do diseases generally take to go away? I've had to move the Danish capital to a recently-conquered Pomeranian territory to prevent a Typhoid Fever outbreak that swallowed up much of de jure Denmark from wiping out my entire court and dynasty.

Edit: In fact, is there anything you can do about diseases in the game at all, save pray they don't annihilate your entire country?

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 25, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

How long do diseases generally take to go away? I've had to move the Danish capital to a recently-conquered Pomeranian territory to prevent a Typhoid Fever outbreak that swallowed up much of de jure Denmark from wiping out my entire court and dynasty.

Edit: In fact, is there anything you can do about diseases in the game at all, save pray they don't annihilate your entire country?
Nope. Diseases are rather annoying in that respect. The only thing you can do is load up everyone you can on boats and have them hang out in an ocean square where they won't get sick, which is more than a little gamey.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Unless you've got like, two counties, I wouldn't worry too hard about it. Honestly, I've had characters get diseases all the time, but I've never had it get so bad where I was legitimately worried about a game over.

If it's very early in the game, though, your dynasty might actually be small enough to wipe out. If anything, I'd say diseases are under utilized by this game, seeing as I don't even pay any attention whatsoever to if a province/the entire continent of Europe is under their effects.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Omar_Comin posted:

Here is how I did it earlier this Summer when I did a playthrough: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&pagenumber=151&perpage=40#post417903463

The only thing I could add was that I immediately divorced my Catholic wife which I remember having an effect on your ruler conversion chance.

Yes, and it is indeed Norse Hard Mode. Best thing I found to do was to choose the Become King ambition, and subjugate remainder of Sweden. Conquer small Catholic rulers as you can, and subjugate the Tribe of Obotrites. This will get you the counties needed to kick the Jomsvikings event into action (event will fire only after you are King of Sweden though). Raid Italian republics. Once you have a power base, start stabbing to remove the Swedish king's allies (most likely Denmark and/or Norway at this point). Once that is done, take the crown. After that, you should have enough prestige to prepare an invasion, If Norway controls England, go for Denmark (Denmark's troops will allow you to better take on Norway if you are forming Scandinavia). If England controls England, go for England. If you attack Denmark, be prepared for HRE getting involved. As with earlier, you will have 2 years prep time to stab away any allies that will be problematic.

This is a very difficult start.

Sounds like I've got the right idea then. I didn't even consider Jomsvikings because I've never seen them form. What's so good about them? Do they behave like a catholic holy order?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

If it's very early in the game, though, your dynasty might actually be small enough to wipe out. If anything, I'd say diseases are under utilized by this game, seeing as I don't even pay any attention whatsoever to if a province/the entire continent of Europe is under their effects.
Well, you might pay attention to it if there were something you could reasonably do about it, though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Sounds like I've got the right idea then. I didn't even consider Jomsvikings because I've never seen them form. What's so good about them? Do they behave like a catholic holy order?

Exactly like one.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Was there a patch that somehow escaped my notice and ruined my CK2+ game? Or maybe this is a bug or something I don't understand:

The math on the Opinion Vs Laws for levy calculation doesn't add up. Also all of the holdings in the newly acquired Gere have 0/0 levy. I've reloaded and waited a few months for it to fix itself but no dice. I was digging this dynasty too :( Is this my punishment for my ugly borders?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
What does disease do from a practical standpoint, anyway? I know that characters in a diseased area have a good chance of coming down with whatever it is, and that that can kill them in some cases, but other than random barony level vassals and a duke once in a blue moon I've never had it do much. I may be lucky, though, since one of my kings got typhoid at 60 and beat it, despite being stressed and wounded.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Captain Novolin posted:

What does disease do from a practical standpoint, anyway? I know that characters in a diseased area have a good chance of coming down with whatever it is, and that that can kill them in some cases, but other than random barony level vassals and a duke once in a blue moon I've never had it do much. I may be lucky, though, since one of my kings got typhoid at 60 and beat it, despite being stressed and wounded.

Disease reduces the supply of the province. It's mostly important to watch out for when invading other people.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok, Erik the Heathen game ruined again by things outside my control. This time, Sweden was inherited by a fellow Norseman before I was ready to do my thing and he got dogpiled by angry vassals and christian kingdoms. :gonk: Definitely a fun challenge though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

The math on the Opinion Vs Laws for levy calculation doesn't add up. Also all of the holdings in the newly acquired Gere have 0/0 levy. I've reloaded and waited a few months for it to fix itself but no dice. I was digging this dynasty too :( Is this my punishment for my ugly borders?

The New Administration penalty is what's screwing things up, and it's WAD. Here's more on how it works.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Khazars had patrilineal descent despite their Jewish religion, they traced their descent from the Jews through the male line in any case.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ok, Erik the Heathen game ruined again by things outside my control. This time, Sweden was inherited by a fellow Norseman before I was ready to do my thing and he got dogpiled by angry vassals and christian kingdoms. :gonk: Definitely a fun challenge though.

I'm telling you, man, start in September. Erik the Heathen is a lot less frustrating (but not really any less difficult, if that makes sense) when you start independent. It's a really fun game, too, where you have to race to take over enough of Finland to stand up to Denmark (and Norway) before they cut through the Stenkils and bring the pain to your door.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Was there a patch that somehow escaped my notice and ruined my CK2+ game? Or maybe this is a bug or something I don't understand:

The effect of laws on levies is a bit more complicated; laws affect both the minimum levy and the maximum levy. That percentage value doesn't break it down nearly enough to determine the effects.

As for the holdings, mouseover the red crossed-swords icon in the lower-right corner of each of them. Newly-conquered holdings have massive penalties to taxes and levies that make them useless for a few years.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Khazars had patrilineal descent despite their Jewish religion, they traced their descent from the Jews through the male line in any case.
Unsurprising. Without having any specific knowledge of how they operated, I would hazard that this was not meaningfully from any formal rule of religious affiliation passing through the father, but from a practical sense that the father is in charge of the kid's upbringing, and that someone brought up Jewish is Jewish, regardless of their parents' religion.

The matrilineal religion thing in Judaism strikes me (again, lacking much specific knowledge on the subject) as primarily a tool for social control, discouraging marriages outside the group. It's a necessary thing for a culture to survive when it's surrounded, to keep itself from being swallowed up and assimilated. But if it's the dominant culture, it becomes pretty pointless.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Jazerus posted:

I'm telling you, man, start in September. Erik the Heathen is a lot less frustrating (but not really any less difficult, if that makes sense) when you start independent. It's a really fun game, too, where you have to race to take over enough of Finland to stand up to Denmark (and Norway) before they cut through the Stenkils and bring the pain to your door.

There is no option for independent and not at war with Sweden start in September.

Sept 15th is the Stamford Bridge start date and you are not independent.

On Sept 25th, you are indeed independent. You are also at war with Sweden because Stenkil is dead and this is the War of the two Eriks (historical). This is much more frustrating because almost immediately Erik marries off his brothers to either one of the daughters in Denmark and you are hosed or he marries a brother to the daughter from Norway and you are hosed. Or he marries a brother to daughters from both countries and you are double-hosed.

It's much easier to sit back, slowly build a power base and work from there while still a vassal. It's a bit similar to the 867 Zoroastrian start where you swear fealty immediately and eat away at the kingdom from within. Should also add that using the assassination of Duke Sven as the kick-off for your war for the Swedish crown is a good idea as his father Kol is Norse Pagan and the heir and will join your fight, unless he's dead. Or converted. Or it's been 6 years, and Sven got married and had a child. Which just means more stabbing.

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 25, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I just realized overhauling the papacy probably means no more Serene Pope-Doge Yekaterina VII. :(

e: Playing as an Irish Pagan is pretty :unsmigghh:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 25, 2013

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Strudel Man posted:

That's very true, but it's not 1200 AD, and my dad isn't the duke of Austria, so I don't think it's particularly pertinent.

Except unlike other religions, Judiasm is a religion AND a race, where the race of people (the jews) are the 'chosen ones'. Everyone else doesn't matter so being Jewish racially is just as important as knowing the proper religious customs.

But I agree that to a king in feudal europe this distinction probably won't matter much.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What are the requirements for the Jomsvikings events to fire? I've never actually seen them before.

Edit: looks like a Norse/reformed Norse leader needs to hold Wolgest, Stettin, or Rugen in 920? Can it fire after that date?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 25, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Maybe this is only a CK2+ thing because in vanilla if the game starts at a time where Erick the Heathen is independent he is also at war with the KIng of Sweden and so far its been very frustrating.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

SpRahl posted:

Maybe this is only a CK2+ thing because in vanilla if the game starts at a time where Erick the Heathen is independent he is also at war with the KIng of Sweden and so far its been very frustrating.

My best attempt had me start a faction to put myself as king, try to get as many other vassals on my side as possible, and press the claim when sweden is inevitably called in to the war to help norway against england. I was able to take the throne and that kept me norse, but keeping norway (who won the war for england that game) and denmark from destroying me was rather difficult.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I just realized overhauling the papacy probably means no more Serene Pope-Doge Yekaterina VII. :(

e: Playing as an Irish Pagan is pretty :unsmigghh:

You never know - perhaps an overhaul will make it even more likely and we'll end up with Medici/Borgia type pontiffs & papacy peddlers.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about the prospect of filling up the College of Cardinals with cast-off children & distant dynastic cousins.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Playing as an unlanded character would be great for a Romani DLC. You could travel across Europe with your caravan and tribesmen and battle counts and dukes who want you out of their land. Maybe you could even take the land from them and start your own Romani empire. :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
None of these grand unlanded character things sound very much like CK2.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I don't know about that. Carving out your dynastic empire from nothing more than the ruler of some dirt farmers is pretty much the essence of what CK2 is to me. It's kind of the extension of the start as a count somewhere unimportant style of play.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

It would be nice for the unlanded AI characters do be able to do more things, but playing as one would feel tacked on seeing as the gist of the game is being a feudal lord and owning progressively more and more land as time passes. You would also have the problem of balancing, they would have to make it trivially easy to gain land as an unlanded character or else you could be stuck in some jerkoff's court for 600 years. I think that it is very wishful thinking that they will ever release DLC that lets you play as unlanded characters.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

It would be nice for the unlanded AI characters do be able to do more things, but playing as one would feel tacked on seeing as the gist of the game is being a feudal lord and owning progressively more and more land as time passes. You would also have the problem of balancing, they would have to make it trivially easy to gain land as an unlanded character or else you could be stuck in some jerkoff's court for 600 years. I think that it is very wishful thinking that they will ever release DLC that lets you play as unlanded characters.

One way to avoid that issue is make it a one time opportunity where you could gather up an army, pick a target and invade similar to prepared invasions. If you fail your dynasty dies out and game over, if you succeed you can continue playing along. Sort of like a second chance at survival.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poking through the history files and apparently my second king, a Slavic pagan in 900, somehow picked up the "mother descended from Mohammed" and "rules the Roman Empire" traits :psyduck:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

Don't pull the "It's called Europa Universalis" card here. We can already play as Muslims and Pagans (and pretty soon, Jews as well) so I think Crusader Kings has already strayed from it's original intent.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Poking through the history files and apparently my second king, a Slavic pagan in 900, somehow picked up the "mother descended from Mohammed" and "rules the Roman Empire" traits :psyduck:

You're suffering from the glitch caused by the addition of the Siege Leader trait. To fix it, find the Siege Leader trait in your one of your Traits files (I think it's the first one) and cut/paste it to the bottom of the last one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ok, thanks. So, question about inheritance. My former character's son is engaged to the Queen of Russia matrilineally, and has no land in my kingdom. Is there any way I can leverage this to absorb Russia into my empire without taking it apart piece-by-piece?

e: and apparently you can marry siblings if one of them's a bastard, since she's not of your dynasty.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 25, 2013

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Ok, thanks. So, question about inheritance. My former character's son is engaged to the Queen of Russia matrilineally, and has no land in my kingdom. Is there any way I can leverage this to absorb Russia into my empire without taking it apart piece-by-piece?

e: and apparently you can marry siblings if one of them's a bastard, since she's not of your dynasty.

I have some bad news for you - their kids are going to be of her dynasty, so you're rather out of luck - you get no claims or bonuses yourself for matrilineal marriages if you're the male's dynasty. I hope he's not your heir!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

JGBeagle posted:

Don't pull the "It's called Europa Universalis" card here. We can already play as Muslims and Pagans (and pretty soon, Jews as well) so I think Crusader Kings has already strayed from it's original intent.
Oh, for the love of god. Give it a rest.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

I just think they feel more like things that would be more interesting as their own games, and wouldn't mesh in an interesting way with the rest of the game. CK already has one largely-divorced-from-the-rest-of-the-game xpac.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How would you remove kingdoms from de jure areas in the default set up? Croatia Georgia and Sicily being dejure Byzantine Empire always seems to lead to them getting steamrolled and I kinda want to make it a little less likely for the Byzantines to roll them up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, for the love of god. Give it a rest.

He is right.

So don't be so whiny.

Cease to Hope posted:

I just think they feel more like things that would be more interesting as their own games, and wouldn't mesh in an interesting way with the rest of the game. CK already has one largely-divorced-from-the-rest-of-the-game xpac.
I don't think the concept could work outside of CK really. I mean its either gonna be in this game or it ain't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is right.

So don't be so whiny.
No, he's really not. It's a terrible idea in the first place, and he's 'defending' it with an annoying non-sequitur that doesn't even relate to the obvious problems with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think the concept could work outside of CK really. I mean its either gonna be in this game or it ain't happening.
It ain't happening.

• Locked thread