Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Confession: I first played Doom on the 32x. I had no idea you could change weapons in the game, and still retain an ingrained aversion to berserker packs for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Install Windows posted:

I seem to remember that the system only got something similar once Doom itself had the source code release and someone straight up ported it to the highest end Amiga systems.
Alien Breed 3D, which I'm pretty sure is the source of the screenshot in this thread, came out well before the Doom source was opened up, and I remember my Amiga owning friends at the time bragging about how much better than Doom it was (it's not, it's really not)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Alien Breed 3D, which I'm pretty sure is the source of the screenshot in this thread, came out well before the Doom source was opened up, and I remember my Amiga owning friends at the time bragging about how much better than Doom it was (it's not, it's really not)

Well it did have platform over platform... however over on the PC at the time loving Descent had been out for 6 months at the time Alien Breed 3D was released and Descent had the realest 3D poo poo as well as the full rotation stuff!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I got Witchaven but I can't get it running. It bitches about being a 32 bit program in a 64 bit world and running it in compatability mode aint helping.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I got Witchaven but I can't get it running. It bitches about being a 32 bit program in a 64 bit world and running it in compatability mode aint helping.

It should work through DOSbox, at least thats what I always use when messing around with it

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Speaking of crappy old FPS games, I would love to play Forbes Corporate Warrior. Someone put it on a "top 50 worst games" list on Youtube and the premise sounds outrageously dumb to the point where I have to see how dumb it gets.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It's bad. It's really, really bad.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Eulisker posted:

How about some of the Old Build games like TekWar or Witchaven.

At least TekWar seems pretty bad. No idea how to get them nowadays though.

I eagerly await your write up on TekWar's VR level and how much fun it was to finish without using cheats or walkthroughs (there are no walkthroughs for it btw).

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I have some memories of Chasm: The Rift from watching my step dad play it, some 13 years ago. Don't know if it'll be interesting enough for you to write about, might be a little too mediocre, but I remember it had pretty interesting bosses that could only be defeated through puzzles.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oenis posted:

I have some memories of Chasm: The Rift from watching my step dad play it, some 13 years ago. Don't know if it'll be interesting enough for you to write about, might be a little too mediocre, but I remember it had pretty interesting bosses that could only be defeated through puzzles.

My favorite thing about Chasm is something you still don't see much of nowadays: Enemies still attack you when you dismember them. Shoot the arms off a grunt? He'll try to kick your shins to death. It's amazing.

God I love that game and I regret throwing it away so much (I was a really loving dumb kid; Full Throttle also went with the culling :doh:). I should probably just download it again and give it a whirl. It won't be the same without the weird rear end soundtrack, though, or the kickass disc art:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I remember that Chasm: The Rift's manual provided hints for defeating the bosses. "You'll find a way to blow him away!" when the arena had a giant fan in it; "Eventually he'll see the light" when you had to shoot out the ceiling to kill the boss with sunlight, etc. There were a few interesting idea in the game, but it sucks that it was incapable of making legitimate 3D environments. Pretty much all floors and ceilings were the same height (with a few exceptions) which really limited the things that could be done in a level.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember that Chasm: The Rift's manual provided hints for defeating the bosses. "You'll find a way to blow him away!" when the arena had a giant fan in it; "Eventually he'll see the light" when you had to shoot out the ceiling to kill the boss with sunlight, etc.

I didn't know that :saddowns:. I was stuck at the final boss forever. I never actually beat the game!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't know that :saddowns:. I was stuck at the final boss forever. I never actually beat the game!

I don't remember what the final boss's trick was, but I seem to recall that it was the only one without an actual tip in the manual.

QUICK EDIT: I actually just looked it up on Youtube and it seems like the player just shot the final boss a lot :iiam:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Zero Population Count :getin:

Man, I wish that game was better, I love the look, but the gameplay and controls are terrible.
I still think someone should rip the assets and make a Doom mod with it, kind of like that 'Terrorists' mod that uses TekWar stuff.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

well, I got witchaven sort of running, except it has no sound or any way to change the resolution or controls, rip. Gonna try tekwar next.

edit: ok I got witchaven and tekwar both running with sound and edited controls, but they run in such tiny windows it's impossible to really figure out whats going on. Witchaven has no hud, which is helpful, and tekwar is just confusing as hell. William Shatner told me some words but what actually happened was I shot some hobos and then the police gunned me down after I got stuck in a train station toilet.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2013

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010

Zeether posted:

Speaking of crappy old FPS games, I would love to play Forbes Corporate Warrior. Someone put it on a "top 50 worst games" list on Youtube and the premise sounds outrageously dumb to the point where I have to see how dumb it gets.

Welp, that was me.

Don't play this game. It was so bad that I couldn't even get footage of it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geographica posted:

Welp, that was me.

Don't play this game. It was so bad that I couldn't even get footage of it.
Tell me more, tell me more :allears:

In other news, if you feel like inflicting the gift of Doom on the unwitting, Green Man Gaming's selling Steam codes for 50-75% off this weekend. And apparently they're using a screenshot from Mock 2 on the Doom 2 store page, because evidently the stock game they're selling doesn't have enough grid-sized rooms full of Cyberdemons. :xd:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

well, I got witchaven sort of running, except it has no sound or any way to change the resolution or controls, rip. Gonna try tekwar next.

edit: ok I got witchaven and tekwar both running with sound and edited controls, but they run in such tiny windows it's impossible to really figure out whats going on. Witchaven has no hud, which is helpful, and tekwar is just confusing as hell. William Shatner told me some words but what actually happened was I shot some hobos and then the police gunned me down after I got stuck in a train station toilet.

How the heck are you running witchaven? It works fine in dosbox...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

William Shatner told me some words but what actually happened was I shot some hobos and then the police gunned me down after I got stuck in a train station toilet.

Yep, that's the Tekwar experience summarised pretty succinctly.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
Here's an oddity from my youth: Damage Incorporated!

I'm pretty sure my friend's mom fished this game out of a bargain bin somewhere. It was released in 1997 for Windows 95 and Mac, and it ran on the Marathon 2 engine. Although it's nowhere near realistic, you can control up to four squadmates, making it sort of a Rainbow Six-lite tactical arcade FPS. It has a campy, ultra-gory 80s military action movie vibe that I find endearing. And it's actually kind of fun to play. The mouse controls are a bit chunky and the controls have to be completely remapped to make them anything like a modern FPS, but the weapons are fun and it's very playable. Most of the weapons can be dual-wielded and have multiple ammo types. The game is notable for the radio chatter from your squadmates, who have dossiers and personalities and spout gems like "These yellow-bellied cowards can't even face the U.S. government like real men!" and "Come on guys, I wanna see dead Reds!" It also features an (obviously unlicensed) use of the song "Cosmic Sea" by Death in the intro and it's littered with Metallica references. The guys who made this game were clearly metal nerds on par with id during the development of Doom.

There is a pretty interesting interview with the developer here where he talks about the difficulties of coding squad AI in the Marathon 2 engine and the choice to use the modern military setting when no one else was using it, as well as the very non-traditional enemies (domestic terrorists and white nationalist militia groups). There a couple of videos on Youtube but they don't really show the squad mechanics, which is one of the most interesting aspects. So I recorded the first three levels here.

There's an easy-to-find site that states the game is abandonware and offers a download, but I'm not sure how true that is; the official site says nothing about the game being abandonware, but it was last updated in 2002, so who knows. The game runs under Windows 7 with no problems. Just change the colors setting to "thousands" instead of 256 under the options.

bleedbackwards fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 26, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SavageMessiah posted:

How the heck are you running witchaven? It works fine in dosbox...

I'm running it in dosbox and it works fine apart from appearing in a tiny 640x480 window.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Damage Inc. has a bigger metal connection than them just being fans. Derek Riggs, who is probably best known for his paintings of Iron Maiden's Eddie, did a few paintings for the game. Glenn Fabry, who painted all the Preacher comic covers, also did some stuff for the game.

Both of them created box art for it that was rejected by the suits and reused elsewhere in the game itself.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I'm running it in dosbox and it works fine apart from appearing in a tiny 640x480 window.

Are you Playing fullscreen and have you tried using a scaler in the graphics options?

E: to clarify: in dosbox.conf you should set the output to something other then surface, and scaler to normal2x. If nothing changes try a few different settings. I might be able to try for myself tommorow so I can let you know what works on my pc.

Eulisker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 26, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bleedbackwards posted:

There's an easy-to-find site that states the game is abandonware and offers a download, but I'm not sure how true that is; the official site says nothing about the game being abandonware, but it was last updated in 2002, so who knows. The game runs under Windows 7 with no problems. Just change the colors setting to "thousands" instead of 256 under the options.

Remember that abandonware isn't actually a legal status, it's just a short term for "no one seems to be around to sue us for the downloads at this time".

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

If I remember correctly, hitting ctrl-return toggles fullscreen.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you use an output device other than "surface", the window size can be set to whatever you'd like. The normal2x and normal3x scalers keep things from turning into a muddy mess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
For the majority of my DOSBOX games, I use "fullresolution=desktop", "output=overlay", "aspect=true", and "scaler=normal2x" and it seems to work fine for my needs. A lot of the time, I care more about preserving aspect ratio so everything doesn't turn into a stretched up mess. It's worse for old point-and-click adventure games and non-DOS Windows games in general, but I was able to fix that using some dumb workaround on my video card. It wouldn't let me select "maintain aspect ratio" under its settings until I dropped my screen resolution to something dumb like 800x600 first. ATI cards :(

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
These settings work every time for me:

fulldouble=true
fullresolution=0x0
output=openglnb
aspect=true
scaler=none

Additionally, these settings seem to eliminate any "clicking" sounds DOSBox makes:

rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=240

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I've been messing around with various mini-mods for Doom and was surprised at how easy it is to modify them to your own end.

This is a screenshot of a color correction mod I found that tones down blue and green saturation and a blood fix I modified to have even more distinction between all the enemies. Zombiemen have darker blood, barons have bright green, knight blood is slightly yellow etc. That's also the Doom Extended HUD modified to work with Perk's Smooth Weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like that HUD, is it compatible with other mods out of the box or requires some modification?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I like that HUD, is it compatible with other mods out of the box or requires some modification?

That HUD is found in the Doom Expanded pack and will work with anything that doesn't change the weapons out of the box. I further edited it (really simple text process in Slade) to change the K/I/S colors to be more readable, in addition to making it compatible with Perk Smooth Weapons.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34942&sid=81c9f5c1a81cd6dc8e26075948fefc60

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks! Giving it a look as soon as I arrive home.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man I don't know what's going on with the pixel smoothing in that screenshot but that is not how I like my Doom to look. It's like it got transformed into a Flash game.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Yeah man no filters for me either.

Unlessss... are there any Doom source ports that do CRT filtering? I want to pretend I'm playing on my 386's 13 inch monitor.

With mouselook.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

superh posted:

I want to pretend I'm playing on my 386's 13 inch monitor.

I'm still disappointed that the new Rise of the Triad doesn't have a reference to that. Unless it's hidden somewhere.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

superh posted:

Yeah man no filters for me either.

Unlessss... are there any Doom source ports that do CRT filtering? I want to pretend I'm playing on my 386's 13 inch monitor.

With mouselook.
Nevermind that, I miss Doom's old PC speaker sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZz7QKJIu88

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Let's not start a doom-experience-authenticity circle jerk. I like filters, you don't have to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bouchacha posted:

Let's not start a doom-experience-authenticity circle jerk. I like filters, you don't have to.

But that's kinda what we do here. :colbert:

And it just looks SO bad :barf:

Okay, okay. Its more something for the 3D gaming thread, but I've been playing Quake and Doom with the Oculus Rift, (both have been rebuilt to work for it, since Carmack released the source code you don't have to use video hijacking tricks). Its pretty wild walking around in fully 3D virtual spaces that were never designed to be experienced that way, and never even experienced that way by the original artists. And yet, they do feel like real spaces. Quake in particular feels pretty amazing to walk around in, I'm noticing a lot more of the architecture than I have before.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's kinda what we do here. :colbert:

And it just looks SO bad :barf:

Earlier in this thread is where I found out that some people's brains actually interpret those various filters as being sharper, instead of seeing the muddy mess that most people see. I always thought they were trying to simulate a defocused monitor or something, but it's not supposed to be an authenticity thing at all I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I want to try out the Oculus Rift just to see what it's like. Do any places offer it up for demos? Maybe the local Hacking collective in my city has one...