Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How soft are deer noses? I would say that is the deciding factor because horses and rabbits have very soft noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

luscious posted:

They are actually very anatomically similar to horses.
Notably they have very similar teeth. Our last vet was mostly a horse vet. Exotics vets are hard to find in a small town. Even the local one right now has more experience with chinchillas than rabbits.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Testing new versions of iOS SA apps means test pictures of Cilantro!

I'm so glad I built her a small step stool so she can get back up on the reading chair/ottoman. It was a sad day when she decided she could no longer hop on up.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Testing new versions of iOS SA apps means test pictures of Cilantro!

I'm so glad I built her a small step stool so she can get back up on the reading chair/ottoman. It was a sad day when she decided she could no longer hop on up.

OMG please get her a ramp!!!! I looooooooooved having the ramp for Bitsy and it wasn't even that expensive. You could probably buy her one at a petstore but nowhere in town and I hate leaving the house anyway. I would just put a towel on it and she would come everywhere I put it. I also liked it because I felt that it was easier on her in general than having to jump. And she would sit under it too. I can send you the details of the one that I bought if you want but just search "pet ramp" and it will probably come up.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, that just tempts me to get with my dad and build a ramp for harriet. Good father-son bonding activity and Harriet will enjoy it.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

NancyPants posted:

I hold firmly that rabbits are just tiny horses. Points for: they both like hay and carrots, it hurts like a bastard when they bite you, and they make the same sound when they run.

Horses get something incredibly similar to gi stasis too.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Bean posted:

But a handful of deer poop looks remarkably like a handful of rabbit poop. A handful of horse poop...not so much.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The Hebug posted:

But a handful of deer poop looks remarkably like a handful of rabbit poop. A handful of horse poop...not so much.

BUT the poop is as inoffensive as rabbit poop, especially when you scale for size.

Behaviorally you can't train a rabbit to listen like you can a horse, but deer aren't domesticated so rabbits are closer to horses than deer. :colbert:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well, that just tempts me to get with my dad and build a ramp for harriet. Good father-son bonding activity and Harriet will enjoy it.

DO IT!!! I actually have a video of Bitsy going crazy on the ramp too :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

OMG please get her a ramp!!!! I looooooooooved having the ramp for Bitsy and it wasn't even that expensive. You could probably buy her one at a petstore but nowhere in town and I hate leaving the house anyway. I would just put a towel on it and she would come everywhere I put it. I also liked it because I felt that it was easier on her in general than having to jump. And she would sit under it too. I can send you the details of the one that I bought if you want but just search "pet ramp" and it will probably come up.

I still can't get over how bitsy is identical to tubbs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHH RABBIT.

Ella likes to run into the house. She's allowed in pretty much every day, when we're all hanging out and can keep an eye on her, and take a minute beforehand to go through the house and close off doors to non-bunny areas. Open floorplans are not good for rabbits. But she pretty much wants to run in every time we're going in and out of the patio, which is pretty much our outdoor living room. TV, couches, dining area, the works.

How Ella wants to get into the house though is wait for you to go through, and then run in as you're closing the sliding glass door.

I was on the outdoor couch reading and Ella was sitting with me for bun-approved pettings. Then I get up with my book, not really looking down (because the bunny's on the couch! Why would she get up?), open the door, and close it. Huh, it's not closing all the waaOH MY GOD ELLA'S HEAD IS IN THE DOOR.

I get her out and then the runs in the house anyway. I chase her out and back onto the patio, try to grab her for an examination, fail, then lure her over with treats. She seems okay. No inflammation, heat, or worrysome tenderness. She's chewing a bit gingerly, but is bright and hungry, per usual. She's now locked in her cage with hay. God drat it rabbit we just got you all fixed up at the vet with your digestion issues and boo-boos.

You loving bunny. I know how you will die, with your brains in a doorjamb. It's inevitable if you keep up this rabbity bullshit.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Bean posted:

Oh man they so do.

When my Mum first agreed to take care of Juppo for me while I'm in between places, I explained to her they're basically like tiny horses. She also visits a primarily equine vet, and is as dopey and mad for food as our Highland, even has the same propensity for pickpocketing treats.

For the longest time my Dad thought I starved Juppo because she would jump up onto my desk to steal treats. I need to print out that 'It's a rabbit' chart for my parents. He dotes on her though :3)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

happyflurple posted:

Oh man they so do.

When my Mum first agreed to take care of Juppo for me while I'm in between places, I explained to her they're basically like tiny horses. She also visits a primarily equine vet, and is as dopey and mad for food as our Highland, even has the same propensity for pickpocketing treats.

For the longest time my Dad thought I starved Juppo because she would jump up onto my desk to steal treats. I need to print out that 'It's a rabbit' chart for my parents. He dotes on her though :3)

My dad needs to be stopped from feeding Ella her favorite treat, Snyders Pretzels. She's supposed to get a bit the size of the end of your thumb, and that's even a big treat. Dad will give her as much as she demands if I'm not around x.x The rabbit also hangs around him a lot when he's on the patio, as he is 'The Treat Man that rarely picks me up, never tells me what to do, and is suspiciously absent whenever I need my nails trimmed or butt washed or vet trips, thus making him completely unassociated with any of those bad things', and thus, favorite human.

She's fine, by the way, after her encounter with the door. Eating hay, which i'm always please about with her. I've also sprouted some wheatgrass! The whole family can enjoy that as a nutritious boost.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

My dad needs to be stopped from feeding Ella her favorite treat, Snyders Pretzels. She's supposed to get a bit the size of the end of your thumb, and that's even a big treat. Dad will give her as much as she demands if I'm not around x.x The rabbit also hangs around him a lot when he's on the patio, as he is 'The Treat Man that rarely picks me up, never tells me what to do, and is suspiciously absent whenever I need my nails trimmed or butt washed or vet trips, thus making him completely unassociated with any of those bad things', and thus, favorite human.

She's fine, by the way, after her encounter with the door. Eating hay, which i'm always please about with her. I've also sprouted some wheatgrass! The whole family can enjoy that as a nutritious boost.

hahah that's like how BP were with my parents. My mom would go in, take a handful of treats and put them on the ground and then talk to them about whatever. I would come home and make them do tricks for a SINGLE treat.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Bunnies have surprisingly thick skulls. Partially makes up for them being so stupid

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
KMS Hayloft has 3rd cut timothy in and while it looks better than last year's crop, they have approximately half the stock they had last year (45 tons vs. 90 tons) so if your bun likes the 3rd cut like Cilantro does, make sure you get your order in to last you a while! I'm ordering 90 lbs. :monocle:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

pseudonordic posted:

KMS Hayloft has 3rd cut timothy in and while it looks better than last year's crop, they have approximately half the stock they had last year (45 tons vs. 90 tons) so if your bun likes the 3rd cut like Cilantro does, make sure you get your order in to last you a while! I'm ordering 90 lbs. :monocle:

How long will that last for you? I'm tempted to buy a bunch too but worried it'll get stale/moldy/whatever if it sits around for months. We're only ~1/2 thru our current 15lb box of 2nd cut.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

bitprophet posted:

How long will that last for you? I'm tempted to buy a bunch too but worried it'll get stale/moldy/whatever if it sits around for months. We're only ~1/2 thru our current 15lb box of 2nd cut.

I estimate that we go through about 5 lbs per month and that usually is about 40-50% waste as Cilantro gets really picky about her hay the longer it's been in her box. The nice customer care lady at KMS told me that so long as you take it out of the plastic bags and leave it in the box with the top open, it'll dry out and stay relatively fresh. This is my second time buying 90 lbs of hay at a time and we've never had any go "bad."

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

I estimate that we go through about 5 lbs per month and that usually is about 40-50% waste as Cilantro gets really picky about her hay the longer it's been in her box. The nice customer care lady at KMS told me that so long as you take it out of the plastic bags and leave it in the box with the top open, it'll dry out and stay relatively fresh. This is my second time buying 90 lbs of hay at a time and we've never had any go "bad."

My friend had some luck with building her bunny a "hay delivery device" by cutting a small piece off of a toilet paper roll and attaching it to a bit of string. She would put the hay in there and he would eat all the hay that she put out for him.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine love love LOVE being hand-fed their hay. They're so weird.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Mine love love LOVE being hand-fed their hay. They're so weird.

Anything that takes up your time / might inconvenience you... BP loved it when I fed them pellets from my hand. Bitsy would eat them like NOMNOMNOM but Paterson was very delicate and ate them one at a time really sweetly and gently.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Gordon Freeman lays in it while she eats it.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Gordon Freeman is the best name for a female rabbit ever

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

NancyPants posted:

Gordon Freeman lays in it while she eats it.

Flopsy does this too. He also thumps when we try to clean his cage out. Thumper on the other hand, gives no shits and would rather just lay under the bed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

luscious posted:

Anything that takes up your time / might inconvenience you... BP loved it when I fed them pellets from my hand. Bitsy would eat them like NOMNOMNOM but Paterson was very delicate and ate them one at a time really sweetly and gently.

Mine get two mouthfuls then realize it's my hand and bite me to make me put their food down and go away :(

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

This is the greatest look of betrayal

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Karandras posted:

He is going to eat and pee on everything you love. Not necessarily in that order.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Karandras posted:

"Why would you do this to me."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

happyflurple posted:

Gordon Freeman is the best name for a female rabbit ever

She doesn't say much, but she gets things done.

E: and by done, I mean loving DESTROYED.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 1, 2013

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I left my new rabbit out earlier today while taking a shower. I came back to see she had torn up a paper bag I left out for her, and she was passed the gently caress out just laying in the shreds. Shes a lop, and was on her side with her ears just splayed all over the place not caring a BIT. She woke up as I was trying to reach my phone for a picture, but it was the most adorable thing.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I finally taped up the bottom of my couches so Chompsky can't crawl up inside of them. She decided to find a new way to annoy me by chewing on the sleeves for my vinyls.

I brought out the phone book and laid it out next to my records, and she seems to rather chew on those now.

Also, whenever I put food in her food dish, she'll eat a little bit, and then pick up the food dish with her mouth and just throw all the food all over the place. If it's in her cage, I don't really care, because she'll usually just eat it all up off the floor of the cage, but sometimes I put her food dish out in the middle of the room to encourage her to get out of her cage more. She'll do the same thing, and then there's little food bits stuck in the carpet everywhere.

Little monster.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Peanut and Snoopy both love bring hand fed hay. They will lie in it, sit on it, whatever, but as soon as you pick up a piece and offer it to them it's the most delicious thing ever.

I've tried hay delivery mechanisms, but they only last a couple of days before they get demolished. Might give the half a toilet roll a go, did it hang by the string?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I wish I could get chompsky to eat hay. I'll put hay in toilet paper rolls, and she'll just eat the cardboard, leaving the hay alone. :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

monsieur fatso posted:

I wish I could get chompsky to eat hay. I'll put hay in toilet paper rolls, and she'll just eat the cardboard, leaving the hay alone. :(

I finally found out how to get Harriet to eat hay (WITH ONE SIMPLE TRICK)

I hid it under her favourite ambush chair.

As in the chair she hides under when she wants to ambush my foot.

I think Harriet is half cat sometimes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Prawned posted:

Peanut and Snoopy both love bring hand fed hay. They will lie in it, sit on it, whatever, but as soon as you pick up a piece and offer it to them it's the most delicious thing ever.

I've tried hay delivery mechanisms, but they only last a couple of days before they get demolished. Might give the half a toilet roll a go, did it hang by the string?

Yeah they hung it from a nail with string so it dangled just a tiny bit above where his face was if he was just standing there. It kinda takes effort because you have to arrange all the hay before putting it in but it was super worth it because he ate probably 75% (or more) of the hay that they gave him instead of just picking at it and eating maybe 25% (or less).

monsieur fatso posted:

Also, whenever I put food in her food dish, she'll eat a little bit, and then pick up the food dish with her mouth and just throw all the food all over the place. If it's in her cage, I don't really care, because she'll usually just eat it all up off the floor of the cage, but sometimes I put her food dish out in the middle of the room to encourage her to get out of her cage more. She'll do the same thing, and then there's little food bits stuck in the carpet everywhere.

AHH I feel you pain! Bitsy never cared to do this but Paterson was obsessed with playing with his food bowl. He would dig at it, toss it around, step in it, throw it and play with it... Bitsy got used to just eating off the ground and leaving him to play with the dish eventually. Sometimes he would get upset if he threw the bowl too hard and it flipped upside down on the rest of the food. He would get so confused. So stupid.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
What happened to Butters owner?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What happened to Butters owner?

She's Instagram'ing, must not be reading SA.

Edit: taking Cilantro to see the vet in the morning. Time for a pedi/pedi and a checkup anyway but guess who's not eating dinner? :sigh:

Edit 2: No bunny vets on the schedule until Monday, but guess who's eating again. :sigh:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2013

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I finally found out how to get Harriet to eat hay (WITH ONE SIMPLE TRICK)

I hid it under her favourite ambush chair.

As in the chair she hides under when she wants to ambush my foot.

I think Harriet is half cat sometimes.

Thank god it's not just mine that has an ambush chair. Or ambush beer crate. Fun with guests that one.

'Want a beer? Sure, they're over there...'

What temperatures are rabbits generally cool with? (ahahaha) I want to let Juppo out in her run as much as possible but to me it's drat cold out there now and she doesn't do much in it, generally, apart from sit in a corner and stare at you, though I'm informed she charges about from time to time. She doesn't seem fussed but if she suddenly keeled over I'd be distraught.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 3, 2013

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Both of mine love it when it's cold in my place, I don't know about outside but when my house is cold they get super energetic and hoppy.

Anyway yours should be fine as long as she has a warm/sheltered place to retreat to if necessary. You know like a house with a lot of (dry) hay in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

happyflurple posted:

What temperatures are rabbits generally cool with? (ahahaha) I want to let Juppo out in her run as much as possible but to me it's drat cold out there now and she doesn't do much in it, generally, apart from sit in a corner and stare at you, though I'm informed she charges about from time to time. She doesn't seem fussed but if she suddenly keeled over I'd be distraught.

Zen would happily romp around in snow.

Frith, on the other hand, was convinced everything in the world was out to kill him so I'm going to say his desire to go back inside was less about the cold and more about the OMG OUTSIDE SCARY WAAAHHHHHHH factor.