Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My quick opinion on Wii Party U after playing it for a couple hours tonight.... it's exactly like the first game. The presentation is the same, it has the same type of mini games that are easily accessible, it will be a great party game to have.

I will say I didn't care for the table top games really. They are too simple to sit there with another person and play. The baseball one was kind of cool, but that's about it. It's a good thing these don't show up in the party game random game rotation.

Also, there are more novel uses than stupid uses of the Game Pad that I have seen so far. I loved the game where you have to yell into the gamepad to make a sound wave crash your opponents into an electrical wire.

Then there are the games like that one where you have to fish the cup of water out of the stream and carry it to the TV. It's literally pointing at the wii sensor bar in the remote, carrying the remote horizontally to the TV and pointing at the TV sensor bar. I thought there would be some sort of dipping motion, or having to carefully pour it into the container using the Wii Motion Plus, but there was none of that. Just the most glaring example of lame implementation of the game pad that I have seen so far. That one was kind of a fun killer actually.

I've barely scratched the surface of the game, but overall I think it's very similar to Wii Party with the gamepad being a nice addition. Makes me excited to see what kind of Mario Party game they are going to make eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't speak from first-hand experience, but it sounds like the WU version of Arkham Origins will support the DLC content after all, in case anyone was worried about that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there still an active Monster Hunter thread? I just got 3 Ultimate and I'm a total monster hunter noob, I need some monster hunting buddies.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

cat doter posted:

Is there still an active Monster Hunter thread? I just got 3 Ultimate and I'm a total monster hunter noob, I need some monster hunting buddies.

It has slowed down a bit, but it's still there: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538945

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Another Mario 3d world vid from those extra wholesome folk at nintendo minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZEibaQ344

Unsure why the resolution sucks so much. But I have to applaud how PG they keep it while playing like complete dickbags.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chance posted:

Another Mario 3d world vid from those extra wholesome folk at nintendo minute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJZEibaQ344

Unsure why the resolution sucks so much. But I have to applaud how PG they keep it while playing like complete dickbags.

I just realized that Mario's cat power-up being yellow means that there is a 0% chance of Wario & Waluigi DLC for this game.

Life is bleak. :saddowns:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I just realized that Mario's cat power-up being yellow means that there is a 0% chance of Wario & Waluigi DLC for this game.

Life is bleak. :saddowns:

Indigo and Violet.

~Wa

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chance posted:

But I have to applaud how PG they keep it while playing like complete dickbags.

:catstare: <--- This emoticon was made for this game

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Has anybody had that blinking red light issue pop up only once or twice but not had to eventually send it to Nintendo for repairs? It happened to me the other day but it was working after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Then later I unplugged it again because I was scared and I haven't touched it in a few days, my brilliant logic being that if I never play it again it won't break. I'm just wondering if I should be worried that it's on the fritz or if that's just a thing that happens sometimes.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Has anyone picked up Deus Ex? I'm kind of tempted to get it (despite already owning two versions of it) just for the new Directors Cut content. Off-TV play?

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Mandrel posted:

Has anyone picked up Deus Ex? I'm kind of tempted to get it (despite already owning two versions of it) just for the new Directors Cut content. Off-TV play?

I haven't picked it up, but googling "deus ex wii u off tv play" shows a lot of results saying it has off-tv play.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I got it, but havent had any free time to play yet. Being a grown up sucks. But hopefully I will get to it tomorrow and I can post some impressions if anyone wants.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Mandrel posted:

I have heard it has really bad frame rate and input lag issues. Although I have only heard this, and not experienced it first hand.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I got it, but havent had any free time to play yet. Being a grown up sucks. But hopefully I will get to it tomorrow and I can post some impressions if anyone wants.

I'd love to hear about it. The big problem I've had with the Wii U cross platform ports is so many of them have really sketchy frame rates, which for some reason isn't always addressed by reviewers. I want the definitive version of the game, and I'd like to have it on Wii U, but I don't want to get tanked by poo poo performance

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Has anyone been able to find a review of the U version of Arkham Origins? I haven't. I just picked it up though, and I expect it'll be superior to the other 2 console versions. It should be in theory, anyway.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

NattyBo posted:

Has anyone been able to find a review of the U version of Arkham Origins? I haven't. I just picked it up though, and I expect it'll be superior to the other 2 console versions. It should be in theory, anyway.

You might be lucky and Digital Foundry makes a comparison between the different formats.
I always like reading those, even if I don't understand half of the terms they use.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

NattyBo posted:

It's less full featured though right? I don't think it has any of the online modes (though I wasn't going to touch those anyway) or DLC. It is $10 cheaper than the other versions though, so there's that.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

citizenlowell posted:

It's less full featured though right? I don't think it has any of the online modes (though I wasn't going to touch those anyway) or DLC. It is $10 cheaper than the other versions though, so there's that.

No multiplayer (which I don't even want to play [and is like 4 maps anyway]), but there is some gamepad functionality (not as much as in City, I think so far? I never fully played through that on Wii U, just fooled around with it). So far it's used for the map and the evidence scanner for crime scene reconstruction, and anytime something comes through Batman's earpiece it's through the gamepad audio. It's also playable entirely on the pad, which is nice.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 25, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Am I missing something obvious, or does the Wii U store have no way to see game sizes before buying? It seems like a reasonable thing to check for.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It shows you the game size on the purchase confirmation page. After you've said "Buy" but before funds have been deducted. You can still back out. Although I don't think there's any way to check if you have to add funds first.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

greatn posted:

It shows you the game size on the purchase confirmation page. After you've said "Buy" but before funds have been deducted. You can still back out. Although I don't think there's any way to check if you have to add funds first.

Boo. Since I don't like money sitting unusable on my system, can anyone tell me how big the Arkham Origins download is?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bruceski posted:

Boo. Since I don't like money sitting unusable on my system, can anyone tell me how big the Arkham Origins download is?

Origins on the PS3 is about 15 gigs.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bruceski posted:

Someone on NeoGAF said 12GB

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showpost.php?p=87456319&postcount=2333

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Looks like there's a third new bundle to go along with the Mario+Luigi and Wind Waker Wii U's:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/10/25/nintendo-announces-wii-u-skylanders-swap-force-holiday-bundle/?partner=yahootix

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I was about to complain about it only having 8 gigs of storage, but I guess they have to do SOMETHING with all those unsold basic systems.

Why does Skylanders still need a special accessory? Doesnt the Wii U Pad do that stuff?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Gamepad might not be able to do the multiple NFC thing that the new swappable Skylanders need (the tops and bottoms have separate chips that have to be read at the same time).

Also the game needs constant contact with the figures to save data and stuff, so that would make playing with just the Gamepad... challenging.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Crowbear posted:

The Gamepad might not be able to do the multiple NFC thing that the new swappable Skylanders need (the tops and bottoms have separate chips that have to be read at the same time).

Also the game needs constant contact with the figures to save data and stuff, so that would make playing with just the Gamepad... challenging.

Plus even if it could and didn't there's no way Activision is going to not charge whatever they're charging for that stand to use the figures.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the only advantage to buying digital over regular is you don't need to disc swap?

Some games are cheaper new on Amazon than download.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the only advantage to buying digital over regular is you don't need to disc swap?

Some games are cheaper new on Amazon than download.
Convenience is really the only advantage to be honest.

To any normal person, going physical is the far cheaper, far better, far less stressful plan as far as Nintendo software goes. But for people like me who move between countries semi-often and generally hate having more stuff around that they really need to, the full RRP is an acceptable negative to stomach.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Third-party publishers do sales/price drops much more regularly - Resident Evil is on sale right now, for example - but even Nintendo does 'em occasionally.

The big advantage is the Deluxe promotion, I guess, or at least it would be if there was more eShop-exclusive junk to buy.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was just about to mention the sales, Monster Hunter was half off a while ago, Ubi did some themselves. Is there any type of price tracker/sale notification thing for the eShop?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The big advantage is the Deluxe promotion, I guess, or at least it would be if there was more eShop-exclusive junk to buy.

The funding codes earned from digital points can also be redeemed on the 3DS eShop.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
I just bought the Wii U Zelda bundle a few hours ago and am trying to open up the eShop to redeem the code, but all I get is a white screen on both the TV and the GamePad. Anyone know what's going on?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

japtor posted:

I was just about to mention the sales, Monster Hunter was half off a while ago, Ubi did some themselves. Is there any type of price tracker/sale notification thing for the eShop?

Just whatever they decide they're gonna put on the eShop splash page and/or their press releases, I suppose.

I do list all the releases/sales in the eShop thread, too, you can see the most current stuff a couple posts down from the OP.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I just bought the Wii U Zelda bundle a few hours ago and am trying to open up the eShop to redeem the code, but all I get is a white screen on both the TV and the GamePad. Anyone know what's going on?

Have you updated to latest firmware? I know the WW bundle came with the latest but there has been an update since then. If your Mii icon is orange in background you need to manually connect again (and re-agree to the EULA) just click on your mii icon to do that.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chance posted:

Have you updated to latest firmware? I know the WW bundle came with the latest but there has been an update since then. If your Mii icon is orange in background you need to manually connect again (and re-agree to the EULA) just click on your mii icon to do that.

I didn't see what you were talking about but for lack of a better option I just shut it down and unplugged it. When I plugged it back in it said it was preparing an update, so I guess we'll see what happens. Gotta love digital distribution! :stare:

e: Yeah, it worked after the update. Still, a loving blank screen? Good going there, Nintendo.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 26, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In the future don't unplug it in general. You can hold the WiiU power button(on the console itself) for five seconds to turn it off more safely, in almost all circumstances.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So is Lego Marvel out on eshop in other regions? I can see the icon on the plaza but anytime I try to go to the eshop through it, I get an error. Figure maybe something was just acting up so I go directly and don't even see a store page for it.

It's updated since it has Batman Origins up so it's strange that they haven't put it up yet. Even Activision's stuff has a page and they're all retail.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Good multiplayer games for someone who isn't a "gamer"? Can be Wii or WiiU.

I was thinking Mario Bros but that's as far as I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

PRADA SLUT posted:

Good multiplayer games for someone who isn't a "gamer"? Can be Wii or WiiU.

Wii Party U?

• Locked thread