Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

ToastyPotato posted:

In other news, am I the only one left watching Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man? I have actively avoided Agents of Smash.

No. You aren't.

I'm still iffy on Assemble. It's mostly fight the dudes, but the characters are still at their most base. Hawkeye quips on occasion, and doesn't really do anything else. At least in EMH, he was kind of a dick. Hulk got a bit here and there to just show he doesn't smash.. but, most of what he says is still smash-related.

Smash is kind of bland, too. Red is Angry, Skarr is dumb, A-Bomb is Seth Green. It's a lot more spacey than I figured it would be, but when you have a team of hulks, I suppose tossing Batrok the Leaper, or The Wrecking Crew at them isn't enough. Though having them struggle against Taskmaster would be an interesting change.

I did like the GIANT SIZED Ultimate Spider-man episode. I can kinda hope Ultimate Spider-Man becomes more like BatB, by having Spiderman team up with more of Marvel's unknowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Disney japan is producing their own Marvel comic series.

quote:

The story will revolve around how The Avengers – Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and the Hulk together with the help of Spider-Man and a group of teens, will harness their respective fighting skills and superhuman powers to foil Loki’s scheme to take over the world. Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers will target boys in the 6-12 age group.

Edit:

I wonder if captain America will be changed to captain stupid foreigner.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 24, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Cap was in a barber shop quartet. :3:

The trailer looks amazing. I really want to see it in theaters, especially since that's around my birthday. I'm concerned about if I'll like it as much or not, though. The first one's main strength was proving what a hero Steve was and what heroism was and all that stuff. Still, I'm excited.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

thelaughingman posted:

They'd just have to write him as Ultimate Cap. :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
For anyone interested, Beware the Batman is officially out of CN

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48704

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They are really on dangerous ground because I loved Young Justice, Green Lantern and Beware the Batman, but soon I may just not even bother getting into their shows because they inevitably get cancelled before they even have a chance to build an audience. I'm sure these shows just cost too much for the ratings they were getting, but I still put that on CN. Start producing shows with reasonable budgets so you can give them a realistic chance of succeeding, don't expect every show you put out to be a break-out hit just because it has DC characters in it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I figured the lesson they'd learned was that they thought every show needs to revolve around Batman otherwise nobody will care, but apparently it was something more along the lines of "every episode needs to be a 22-minute toy commercial or else".

So I guess look forward to the next DC offering, Batman Force, where every episode Batman equips a different brightly-coloured MechaBatSuit to fight against the latest Joker Mutant Creation (with real slime action! Ages 7 and up).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fuego Fish posted:

I figured the lesson they'd learned was that they thought every show needs to revolve around Batman otherwise nobody will care, but apparently it was something more along the lines of "every episode needs to be a 22-minute toy commercial or else".

So I guess look forward to the next DC offering, Batman Force, where every episode Batman equips a different brightly-coloured MechaBatSuit to fight against the latest Joker Mutant Creation (with real slime action! Ages 7 and up).

Batman Inc., but with the description being the same as yours, only add in Batwing, Nightwing, and Batson. And Batgirl and Batwoman. So many toys.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fuego Fish posted:

I still want a Talking Neon Superstreet Batluge so bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

Q&As are terrible, always and forever.
They have the potential to be ok, but you seriously need someone to screen and reject dumbshit questions and creepy-rear end nerdlingers. As it goes, it's a mad dash to the mic, where the first two people usually make poo poo up on the spot so they can just address the panelists.

But if they would begin a screening process, give the panel 10 minutes to finish up their bullshit spiel, then open the floor to the approved folks, things would be a lot smoother.

Granted, that won't solve the problem of the panel addressing the audience with pre-canned PRspeak, but at least you'll avoid questions like "What would Han Solo say to Indiana Jones?!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thelaughingman posted:

Disney japan is producing their own Marvel comic series.

Edit:

Gaijin-taicho?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FilthyImp posted:

They have the potential to be ok, but you seriously need someone to screen and reject dumbshit questions and creepy-rear end nerdlingers. As it goes, it's a mad dash to the mic, where the first two people usually make poo poo up on the spot so they can just address the panelists.

But if they would begin a screening process, give the panel 10 minutes to finish up their bullshit spiel, then open the floor to the approved folks, things would be a lot smoother.

Granted, that won't solve the problem of the panel addressing the audience with pre-canned PRspeak, but at least you'll avoid questions like "What would Han Solo say to Indiana Jones?!"

Submitted questions are the way to go. If it's a Q&A based around a performance then obviously you have to let it be a free-for-all but otherwise there should be questions submitted beforehand to get rid of all the crap.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ToastyPotato posted:

Batman Inc., but with the description being the same as yours, only add in Batwing, Nightwing, and Batson. And Batgirl and Batwoman. So many toys.

But not the Cassandra Cain Batgirl. NEVER the Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

DC: We give the customer what WE want!!!!!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

But not the Cassandra Cain Batgirl. NEVER the Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

DC: We give the customer what WE want!!!!!
Of course not, Babs has always been Batgirl. Except she wasn't for a few years after she got shot, noone was, unless maybe one of the half dozen Robins cross-dressed or something.

And I'm not too sure about them including Batwoman either, unless they made her suddenly straight and pining over Bruce.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Of course not, Babs has always been Batgirl. Except she wasn't for a few years after she got shot, noone was, unless maybe one of the half dozen Robins cross-dressed or something.

And I'm not too sure about them including Batwoman either, unless they made her suddenly straight and pining over Bruce.

Half-dozen Robins? Surely you jest. In the glorious New Fifty-Two, there have only ever been two and half Robins. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Damian Wayne. Considering Damian got stabbed about two weeks after he started, that's more than two years per Robin, making it more than plausible that Batman's first sidekick could have gone from a 10-year-old to a grown adult in his early twenties over a five-year span.

New Fifty-Two!™

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Urdnot Fire posted:

She would be completely asexual, as to piss no one off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ToastyPotato posted:

She would be completely asexual, as to piss no one off.

That would be such a step up from the poo poo comics norm I wish it were true.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Fuego Fish posted:

I think you're forgetting that Beware the Batman was very very terrible.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

That would be such a step up from the poo poo comics norm I wish it were true.

That's really depressing to admit. :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Half-dozen Robins? Surely you jest. In the glorious New Fifty-Two, there have only ever been two and half Robins. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Damian Wayne. Considering Damian got stabbed about two weeks after he started, that's more than two years per Robin, making it more than plausible that Batman's first sidekick could have gone from a 10-year-old to a grown adult in his early twenties over a five-year span.

New Fifty-Two!™

Two And A Half Robins sounds like the New 52's best worst sitcom.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ToastyPotato posted:

That's really depressing to admit. :(

It was heartbreaking to type out, yeah.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Compared to Marvel's current crop of cartoons it was great. But speaking more objectively by not comparing to steaming garbage, while it wasn't great, it was at least watchable.

Hated that they made Shiva white, but liked that Batman was basically "crime autistic".

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They should have all motion comics from now on. Those are cheap to make, right?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They should just do, y'know, animation. That's cheaper than CGI, right? Or is CGI actually cheaper these days than decent 2D animation?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

They should just do, y'know, animation. That's cheaper than CGI, right? Or is CGI actually cheaper these days than decent 2D animation?

They both seem too expensive to bother with unless you are selling tons of Merch. What I don't understand is why a FRANCHISE such as Batman requires great ratings and selling tons of merch specific to a given show when as a franchise it should be pulling tons of money from sales in general? Like, who gives a poo poo if Young Justice doesn't sell a ton of toys, but Batman and Superman in more episodes or something and just ride the wave of keeping your billion dollar franchises chugging along.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

CGI is cheaper if you don't bother to spend much on it. Beware the batman was probably a lot cheaper to make than a 2D show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

CGI is probably cheaper than crappy 2D animation at this point.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

CGI is probably cheaper than crappy 2D animation at this point.

Also there are probably way more 3D animators out there than 2D ones.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The major sink in 3D these days is, and correct me if I'm mistaken here, all in the models. Once you have a model, it's pretty easy to keep using it over and over, which is why pretty much everything Dreamworks makes these days has a tie-in, and also why we had to endure four loving Shrek movies.

Both 2D and 3D animation requires a studio of people to do all the fiddly bits making sure that your characters move from point X to point Y without looking stupid, and so forth. If you're relying on Flash for your 2D art, then you can simplify that process a little. My Little Pony's simplistic character designs can be customised by swapping out anchor-pointed differences: eye shape and colour, their hair, so on. Makes populating scenes with background characters easy.

3D can do the same kind of thing, having a basic template for three or four body types and then just swapping out hair and clothing colour. But if you want to add in a new model type that's gonna be weeks of work making sure it fits in with all the designs and generall doesn't clip through itself when walking or whatever.

Basically 3D requires a lot of build-up to populate the toybox with its cast before things start. It's not as simple to add in a new character or scene during production itself, the way 2D can. But even with modern advances in software and so on, 2D still has to draw through so many frames per second for every minute of the show, while in 3D you can rely on preprogrammed movements like setting everyone's models to "run" and pointing them away from a bunch of explosions, then setting it going on the render farm while you tweak the next scene.

But, again, that's as far as I can recall from past discussions about this. I am far from an expert.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It is also far harder to tweak a rig to get exaggerated expressions and such. You want eyes to pop out and poo poo, you either build that into the rig at the start (and thus better use it often or you've wasted your budget), or it costs extra money to build in later. You can try to cheap your way through it, but it's generally far harder to go off model for effect in 3D than it is in 2D.

This can at times be a good thing; barriers and obstacles can foster creative solutions. Other times, you get shows that just don't care/don't have the budget, and thus have to make do with a very limited toy box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I feel like you and I are the only ones aware of this.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rhyno posted:

I feel like you and I are the only ones aware of this.

Marvel's cartoons have redefined terrible for me. Every time I saw Beware the Batman I just thought "hey, it's not Ultimate Spider-Man!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Beware the Batman is the worst show featuring Batman in a while, but I thought it was decent enough for what it was and I also liked that it tried to play with a lot of lesser known characters. But I need a fun cartoon show to watch on Saturday mornings(I'm still 8 years old in my head) and the Marvel stuff is such poo poo right now. I used to really enjoy Ultimate Avengers but Assemble just feels so soulless to me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

"Soulless" really is the best descriptor for the current Marvel shows.

It's weird, because they are objectively better than the shows from the 90's, but we've come such a long way in terms of quality since then, that they seem almost completely horrible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The 90s Marvel shows were silly and terrible in a lot of ways, but for the most part they felt like something the creators wanted to make, not just cranked out to meet a contract requirement. That's what the current Marvel cartoons feel like to me: nobody's making them because they want to produce an entertaining product, they're making them because they're obliged to.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Basebf555 posted:

Beware the Batman is the worst show featuring Batman in a while
Given the only other Batman show in a while was The Brave and the Bold, that's a high bar to meet.

ToastyPotato posted:

"Soulless" really is the best descriptor for the current Marvel shows.

It's weird, because they are objectively better than the shows from the 90's, but we've come such a long way in terms of quality since then, that they seem almost completely horrible.
I dunno about trying to take the 90s shows as a whole, because those first seasons were so, so bad, but their second seasons were well above the current Marvel crop and everything short of Spectacular Spider-Man/Wolverine and the X-Men.

Hulk might be more of a toss-up, but so far AGENTS OF SMASH hasn't had a Ghost Rider cameo so I'm going to call that one for the 90s too.

McSpanky posted:

The 90s Marvel shows were silly and terrible in a lot of ways, but for the most part they felt like something the creators wanted to make, not just cranked out to meet a contract requirement. That's what the current Marvel cartoons feel like to me: nobody's making them because they want to produce an entertaining product, they're making them because they're obliged to.
I dunno, that description sums up those first seasons pretty well, but again, they were exceptionally awful.

I think the only thing that comes close were the early Marvel DTV films, especially Iron Man and Doctor Strange.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 25, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

McSpanky posted:

The whole reason the Hobgoblin was introduced in the first season of Spidey's 90 series instead of the Green Goblin was because there were Hobgoblin toys scheduled to come out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

The whole reason the Hobgoblin was introduced in the first season of Spidey's 90 series instead of the Green Goblin was because there were Hobgoblin toys scheduled to come out.

I'm aware a lot of it was toyetic as hell back then -- it was always fun getting spoiled on new characters by seeing their action figures on the toy shelves first -- but that doesn't change the soullessness of the current shows that we're talking about. And it's not just rosey childhood nostalgia, Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble don't even hold up to the series that immediately preceded them, let alone that old Fox stuff.

My kingdom for more Spectacular and EMH :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
All I know is, I honestly prefer 90s Spider-Man to Ultimate, because while Ultimate is way prettier, I just cannot stand the cutaways and the bad dialogue. I'd rather watch Venom drive a truck because at least that's corny silliness and not just bad humor that requires Spider-Man to pause the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What was the reason again for cancelling one Avengers show just to put on another Avengers show with the same characters? I know it had something to do with the movie but I can't remember what.

• Locked thread