Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They are more about merchandising their robot bullshit than music at this point I can't remember the last good song they made but they sure do love to pump out useless crap like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

They are more about merchandising their robot bullshit than music at this point I can't remember the last good song they made but they sure do love to pump out useless crap like this.

So I guess everyone is ignoring that they literally sold $200 dolls of themselves multiple times years ago

Okay

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

See their new output is not as good as their previous ones therefore all their merchandising has become crass and gross instead of sleek and desirable.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

See their new output is not as good as their previous ones therefore all their merchandising has become crass and gross instead of sleek and desirable.

Ohhhhh okay, got it. Cool.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mr. Unlucky posted:

It came out in May.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
But their last good album came out in 07.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ugh, why won't they just admit this album is as bad as I think it is and not as good as the scads of people who bought it and made Get Lucky the song of the summer think it is. What a bunch of sick fucks. They're just taunting me with special editions and dumb videos.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 25, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I mean more power to you if you feel like dropping 275 dollars on an album you've probably already heard before and "Daft Punk robot head schematics".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uhhhhhh excuse me, you also get to experience the auditory nirvana of the extended Giorgio Moroder interview in a format where you can really appreciate the differences in microphones used for recording each different era of his work he talks about. A distinction so minute even their sound engineer couldn't be arsed to care, therefore solidifying you as having higher ranked ears than he does.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
If I had the cash to throw around, I'd get it just to have the most opulent thumbdrives of any IT goon in the city.

until I inevitably leave one in a user's machine and it disappears forever

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The only thing i'll pay $275 dollars for is a goddamn ticket. I'm not above grossly overpaying for vinyl, but this isn't even the Japanese release...the bonus track is relegated to the USB drive.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 29, 2013

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uhhhhhh excuse me, you also get to experience the auditory nirvana of the extended Giorgio Moroder interview in a format where you can really appreciate the differences in microphones used for recording each different era of his work he talks about. A distinction so minute even their sound engineer couldn't be arsed to care, therefore solidifying you as having higher ranked ears than he does.

It's a Princess and the Pea deal. The person who has hearing so fine they can hear the difference between the microphones gets to marry Thomas.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Just listened to this album for the first time in ages.

Georgio says "once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want, so nobody told me what to do, and there was no conception of what to do".

Then it cuts to a really cliched orchestral harmony.

Furious about this.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I've been listening to RAM again lately too and I'm sorry to report that I still find ~50% of the songs range from mediocre to bad, Giorgio included (in the 'bad' category). Those ~50% that aren't though still get frequent plays from me so I'd say that I am fond of the album nonetheless.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Popcorn posted:

Just listened to this album for the first time in ages.

Georgio says "once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want, so nobody told me what to do, and there was no conception of what to do".

Then it cuts to a really cliched orchestral harmony.

Furious about this.

Haha yeah. That quote is really dumb. Not a musician, but isn't the concept of harmony at its base about notes that sound pleasing to the ear when played simultaneously? So he's literally giving lovely advice. Guys, don't worry about making music that actually sounds good!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Present posted:

Haha yeah. That quote is really dumb. Not a musician, but isn't the concept of harmony at its base about notes that sound pleasing to the ear when played simultaneously? So he's literally giving lovely advice. Guys, don't worry about making music that actually sounds good!

That is the concept of a certain type of harmony, but no, that does not apply to all harmony, and what he is saying is not bad advice for a composer at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Colonel Whitey posted:

That is the concept of a certain type of harmony, but no, that does not apply to all harmony, and what he is saying is not bad advice for a composer at all.

Yeah, I'm far from a music guy, but I definitely heard that bit as breaking free of the shackles of 'known' music. It's the sort of thing he was talking about in his collaborators video with regards to the first time he encountered a synthesizer; he wasn't particularly impressed because the guy was using it to emulate 'real' instruments, and he knew that it could do so much more if they didn't stick to what 'already works'.

I think what he's saying is, if you want to make something 'new' or use new tools, those rules you've learned don't necessarily apply. He's not saying 'don't make music that sounds good', he's saying 'don't blindly stick to the tools you know'.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I interpreted that quote to mean, you do not need to play music in a way that is standard or already decided to be correct, but rather you may make your own system of music or harmony that reflects what you want to do/express. If taken literally, yes it is silly, obviously there are some concepts of music that are worthwhile to pay attention to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like how hard some people are trying to make it seen like this album sucking/Daft Punk being bad now is the universal accepted opinion, instead of being hugely successful and one of the most acclaimed albums of the year. Like they can't handle that they just want to make different music now it has to be that they SUCK

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Random Access Memories isn't different enough.

an skeleton posted:

I interpreted that quote to mean, you do not need to play music in a way that is standard or already decided to be correct, but rather you may make your own system of music or harmony that reflects what you want to do/express. If taken literally, yes it is silly, obviously there are some concepts of music that are worthwhile to pay attention to.

That's what he means, yes, but it's followed by a massive cliche, and it only exposes how naff and hackneyed the whole album actually is, despite implicitly purporting - via that quote and juxtaposition - to be daring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This album still rules, gently caress the haters :colbert:

I still get the likes of Within/Instant Crush/Lose Yourself To Dance/Get Lucky/Doin' It Right stuck in my head quite often, and 8-bit Giorgio is still my ringtone and sometimes my alarm too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Please tell me more about how the man who basically scored an entire decade of hit films is wrong about composing.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Popcorn posted:

Random Access Memories isn't different enough.

That's what he means, yes, but it's followed by a massive cliche, and it only exposes how naff and hackneyed the whole album actually is, despite implicitly purporting - via that quote and juxtaposition - to be daring.

To be fair, I think that song is probably the weakest on the album. The best part of it is Giorgio's rambling, though, and I don't really tire of that stuff. The rest of it is meandering and like you basically said, pretty bland if anything.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The album isn't one of the best I've bought this year, but Touch kicks loving rear end. Instant Crush is also really good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Man, they're really trying to promote Anchorman 2.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They've hit peak stupidity, time to throw away the robot helmets and go back to the drawing board. Maybe they can make good music again??

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Things that they sell make the music on the CD worse.

The album is still bitching. Relax.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Unlucky posted:

They've hit peak stupidity, time to throw away the robot helmets and go back to the drawing board. Maybe they can make good music again??

I'd be ok with them getting rid of the robot stuff personally, it's a childish gimmick that really doesn't have anything to do with their music.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

crankdatbatman posted:

I'd be ok with them getting rid of the robot stuff personally, it's a childish gimmick that really doesn't have anything to do with their music.

How can you say it doesn't have anything to do with their music? Just because it's not literally an instrument that they play?

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

crankdatbatman posted:

You know, except the vocoder "robot voices" they use in every other song...

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Man Cub posted:

You know, except the vocoder "robot voices" they use in every other song...

Vocoder voices have been big since Peter Frampton, and I don't think he had a robot head to go with it. Plus they've done the robot voices since Homework and I don't think they were in the helmets at that time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The "lore" of the robots is part of their brand and they would not be as enticing without it. Music groups and bands have always been about more than their music for most people, despite what the audiophiles like to think. It also serves their lifestyle wherein they value their anonymity. I would be sad to see the personas go, especially if it was for such a stupid reason like "It's more MATURE and ADULT." No one cares what silly view you have about what's "childish" and unacceptable.

Edit: In fact, I'd say I would've enjoyed Alive 2007 LESS if there had been just 2 dudes up there spinning. The fact that it felt like they were some kind of weirdo alien robots that had landed in a music festival in a giant pyramid spaceship and played dance music for everyone made it all the more hilarious and awesome.

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 11, 2013

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
everybody is so sour. the album is awesome and so are the robots.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Action Serious posted:

Seriously. I could enjoy watching the robots promote anything. You guys are getting too worked up over this.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Seriously. I could enjoy watching the robots promote anything. You guys are getting too worked up over this.

If the music is good I don't really care what the artist looks like. He could look like Quasimoto for christ's sake.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

crankdatbatman posted:

If the music is good I don't really care what the artist looks like. He could look like Quasimoto for christ's sake.

In this case they do.

I'm still pissed that Electroma isn't widely known because it's the funniest joke in the Daft Punk canon thanks to the human masks exact likenesses of their faces.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In this case they do.

I'm still pissed that Electroma isn't widely known because it's the funniest joke in the Daft Punk canon thanks to the human masks exact likenesses of their faces.
I literally never realized this until someone posted that blurry twitpic of both of them at some internal Columbia release party for RAM and it immediately clicked with me and it was probably the greatest epiphany of all time. So hilarious / awesome.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Action Serious posted:

Given the fact that I listened to a lot of stuff when Thomas and Guy were solo (Wish I had some of Thomas' vinyl records), I would say that I kind of like the fact that this album does go back to their roots.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Instant Crush is a fantastic track - but outside of that, I kinda feel like much of the album borders on being... I don't know...

Pretentious?

It's not that the album is littered with bad music, but so much of it seems real uninspired, yet trumped up as something groundbreaking. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I like the way the album sounds. It might not be innovative or groundbreaking, but it sounds so much better than most music out out today. Compression and loudness and all that I guess, but I am happy with it.

• Locked thread