Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

so C is my main computer?
D is my cd?
what happens when i put in my usb stick? Oh E okay

So where's my main computer stuff?
Well it's actually everywhere, bust mostly in home. Just use your user folder
Where's my cd?
it's in /dev/sr0
But you said that the main stuff is everywhere. Why is the cd now in the main stuff? did it get copied to my computer?
no, that folder hides after you take it out. Actually the main stuff is not everywhere, it's just in /dev/hda/.
Wait but you said to just use my user folder. Is my user folder a cd?
No, your user folder is also /dev/hda.

pfbbbbbbtttttttt

here's how this works on solaris:

so / is my main computer?
"/media/Encarta 98" is my cd-rom?
what happens when i put in my usb stick? oh "/media/Bob's USB"

i am ignoring the part where nobody has cd media in tyool 2013

the windows setup is 1980s poo poo from cp/m. it has no advantages. (in fact, internally i think it uses block devices and mountpoints just like unix, and the drive letter mappings are arbitrary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if there's one thing i really really want in my os its ambiguity about where my data is actually located!!!

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
bury my data in a partition named after a letter with no bearing to its contents or purpose

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol @ serious posting for like 100 pages about loving filesystem paths

you loving nerds

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zlodo posted:

lol @ serious posting for like 100 pages about loving filesystem paths

you loving nerds

welcome to a world called...

yospos

*screencrack*

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
quick question to finish up that project i have been working on

in python the data type set is basically a list of non-repeating pieces of information. how do i copy this data structure to c# for the list of utub urls so i don't have the one video that got quoted 1000 times listed that many times?

for example, i use

code:
 my_set = {1,1,1,4,5,6,6,6}
in python and...

code:
>>my_set
{1,4,5,6}

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

quick question to finish up that project i have been working on

in python the data type set is basically a list of non-repeating pieces of information. how do i copy this data structure to c# for the list of utub urls so i don't have the one video that got quoted 1000 times listed that many times?

for example, i use

code:
 my_set = {1,1,1,4,5,6,6,6}
in python and...

code:
>>my_set
{1,4,5,6}

HashSet or SortedSet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's what a set is in all languages. in c# you could use HashSet<String> to store them instead of list or if you have a list already you could just do new HashSet<String> uniques = new HashSet<String>(list);

you could also use the linq Distinct() query to get uniques.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

/Volumes/Shaggar/wrongings.txt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no see /Volumes/c/ is so much better than c:\ because you see....

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Shaggar posted:

no see c:\ is so much better than /Volumes/c/ because you se....

wow this SO EASY

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
even just replacing drive letters with numbers would be more intuitive. c: could be 0: (or 1: if you are an idiot) which while still vague as poo poo, manages to be ever so slightly more intuitive than RANDOM LETTER

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
terrible programmer status: ugh scala.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
nm

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 25, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
selecting (//link[@src]) doesn't work for getting the "pure" youtube links from embedded videos, possibly because the text from those documents doesn't exist until javascript runs and plants it? idk i'll just run a script to clean up the data with python tomorrow it should only take like half an hour to create

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

welcome to a world called...

yospos

*dwoingggggggggg*

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tbf wrt drive letters, unix has even more & worse horrible crufty poo poo. the story of /bin & /usr/bin and why the distinction persists is excellent

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it sounds dumb enough to involve stallman somehow

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

the actual reason is accident + autism so a good guess

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

p.s. macports installs into /opt/local

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
who the hell still uses macports though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

tbf wrt drive letters, unix has even more & worse horrible crufty poo poo. the story of /bin & /usr/bin and why the distinction persists is excellent

unlike drive letters this is going away

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

stallman came from the world of lisp workstations. Unix was never more than a temporary means to an end for him

Emacs and gnu were just an attempt to return to the holy land of Zmacs

P.s. iBad autocompletes "Emacs" as emasculating. Makes you fink. (That Apple is terrible)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
yeah but stallman is a double human being soooooooooo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unlike drive letters this is going away

in what decade?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
drive letters are dumb
unix mount points are even dumber, how does it make any sense to say that a USB key is in a subfolder of my hard disk

the best system (as always) is the Classic Mac OS idea of every drive being its own root level by name

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
nothing in computers is ever going away

programming languages don't die

every decision is permanent

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
every fart drifts forevet.
makes u thinl

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
holy poo poo stop talking about drive letters what the gently caress guys

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
it's driving me crazy

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
you could say this discussion is "spinning me out". ha ha.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
those are legit good puns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

in what decade?

fedora merged /bin and /usr/bin last year. which means you should see it in RHEL7 probably

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

~Coxy posted:

drive letters are dumb
unix mount points are even dumber, how does it make any sense to say that a USB key is in a subfolder of my hard disk

the best system (as always) is the Classic Mac OS idea of every drive being its own root level by name

yeah classic mac os was the best operating system

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

~Coxy posted:

drive letters are dumb

directories are an abstraction that can represent lots of things, hence the term "directory" pre-dating "folder." /proc and /dev have nothing to do with your hard disk OR your usb key, they're not connected to drives at all.

the filesystem is bigger and more abstract than just your files

~Coxy posted:

this is what solaris has done for literally 20 years

i don't know why it takes linux so long to catch up to ye olden days of desktop unix

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

the javadocs. java is great and easy and you don't really need a book, just don't try to replicate what you did in those hosed up and lovely p-langs cause it was probably wrong.

this is wrong, you probably want "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch. It's a cookbook of good ways to use Java

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

directories are an abstraction that can represent lots of things, hence the term "directory" pre-dating "folder." /proc and /dev have nothing to do with your hard disk OR your usb key, they're not connected to drives at all.

the filesystem is bigger and more abstract than just your files

this is what solaris has done for literally 20 years

i don't know why it takes linux so long to catch up to ye olden days of desktop unix

to be fair I think it's not just directories/folders semantics, unix whole obsession with files is kinda neat but not really intuitive.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

this is wrong, you probably want "Effective Java" by Joshua Bloch. It's a cookbook of good ways to use Java

i believe shaggar was referring to the official oracle/sun tutorial content, not literally the docs generated by the javadoc tool

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

to be fair I think it's not just directories/folders semantics, unix whole obsession with files is kinda neat but not really intuitive.

it's perfectly natural if you're familiar with unix systems programming

if you're not familiar with unix systems programming, why on earth are you looking at the filesystem? go back to clicking around on the "folders" and poo poo on your desktop, where intuitive simplifications are provided for your use

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
unix really is The Worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i believe shaggar was referring to the official oracle/sun tutorial content, not literally the docs generated by the javadoc tool

effective java is a pretty good book tho

• Locked thread