Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

Doesn't always work. Fallout NV for example looks hideous when zoomed in to the distant hills. You can see how powerful GTA V's texture streaming ability is by zooming in and out several times quickly and seeing the things load and unload almost instantly.

At nighttime 20000 feet up you can still see individual streetlights. GTA's texture streaming for buildings and landmarks is a beast. Not so much for people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Party Plane Jones posted:

At nighttime 20000 feet up you can still see individual streetlights. GTA's texture streaming for buildings and landmarks is a beast. Not so much for people though.

Not really, this is all faked. Go into a high up apartment at night and look through the telescope. You'll see headlights and tail lights. Zoom in on them and they disappear because there were no cars there to begin with.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Not really, this is all faked. Go into a high up apartment at night and look through the telescope. You'll see headlights and tail lights. Zoom in on them and they disappear because there were no cars there to begin with.

That only happens in Multiplayer. If you zoom in in single player, every light is a car

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

for some reason I thought 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' was in Vice City Stories, turns out it's not. Wonder where I got that from.

If you've played Saints Row 2 before, it's on the '80s radio station.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

VarXX posted:

That only happens in Multiplayer. If you zoom in in single player, every light is a car

Yeah I've definitely flown around and watch a light on the horizon slowly reveal itself as a streetlight. There was even an interview with a designer who was talking about how proud they were of the lights in the distance being actual lights.

edit: Here it is.

quote:

I think one of the most amazing features is the way we handle lighting in the game to maintain a consistent look despite the constraints on realistic lighting and shadows on current hardware. Every single light we place in the world is stored, streamed, and laid into the map, even into the distance. The entire world draws all the time: You can fly high in the air at one corner of the map, look over the miles of city and skyscrapers, over the hills and desert to the furthest ridges of the most distant mountains. It’s all there and visible. That’s amazing to see. But the really cool bit is that you can see a street light in a distant town, fly toward it for kilometers until the street itself is visible and the light bulb eventually comes into view. It’s amazing. It’s a level of solidity that I’ve never seen before. It brings the world alive in an incredibly realistic and organic way. That all the lighting the artists have placed to fill out streets and buildings form, at a macro level, the shape of the settlements themselves, that you can look over the desert and see the little towns and trailer parks miles away and get a feel for the road layout even in total darkness and know that it’s not faked, that you can go there: That’s cool.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 25, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Some people on the GTA Forums may have stumbled upon some Single Player DLC entries. Looks like North Yankton isn't an interior either

quote:

<Item platform="xbox360">
<filename>platform:/data/cdimages/DLC/North_Yankton.rpf</filename>
<fileType>RPF_FILE</fileType>

There's a lot more here http://gtaforums.com/topic/632685-the-hunt-for-north-yankton/page-11 Including what appears to be Niko Belic being playable in the DLC

The best part is this new ability (possibly for Niko?)

quote:

<specialAbilities>
<Item>
<duration value="30" />
<initialUnlockedCap value="17" />
<timeWarpScale value="0.325000" />
<damageMultiplier value="1.000000" />
<defenseMultiplier value="1.000000" />
<depletionMultiplier value="1.000000" />
<chargeMultiplier value="1.000000" />
<fxName>Depression</fxName>
<outFxName>Depression</outFxName>

<activeAnimSet/>
</Item>

Nevermind :smith:

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 25, 2013

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

VarXX posted:

Some people on the GTA Forums may have stumbled upon some Single Player DLC entries. Looks like North Yankton isn't an interior either

There's a lot more here http://gtaforums.com/topic/632685-the-hunt-for-north-yankton/page-11 Including what appears to be Niko Belic being playable in the DLC

I'd be surprised if Niko comes back. Didn't Rockstar have a huge falling out with his voice actor?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

I'd be surprised if Niko comes back. Didn't Rockstar have a huge falling out with his voice actor?

Well it's a pretty drat easy accent to replicate.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
There's also references to some placeholder GTA:O missions so it looks like you'll be going to North Yankton in GTA:O eventually as well. These apparently all showed up with the 1.04 patch so this may not be cut content.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Actors have been replaced in TV shows and movies before, you think it'd be hard to replace a voice actor from a 5 year old video game? poo poo, even Kojima replaced David Hayter and that's an iconic video game voice as it gets.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VarXX posted:

Did you actually read the thread? It's full of the dude's poorly written fanfiction.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Did you actually read the thread? It's full of the dude's poorly written fanfiction.

Yeah I did read it, which is why I linked to Page 11 where someone else started finding things in the files

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VarXX posted:

Yeah I did read it, which is why I linked to Page 11 where someone else started finding things in the files

Ah, right. I guess you can't fake that quality rockstar writing.

quote:

I never should have came here. I'm so sorry Roman. You were right. I ruined everything.

Niko. Don't do it. You can fix your life. You're not as a bad as you think.

Michael... Michael... Let him do what he needs to do. There is no way to talk him out of it. We should leave him alone.

I'm sorry you two. Please, Rick, Michael... Leave the building.

(Gunshot)
Niko's death?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Ah, right. I guess you can't fake that quality rockstar writing.

Where is that? I'm only talking about the stuff being posted by "theNGclan"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VarXX posted:

Where is that?

It's from the guy who's supposedly finding poo poo in the game's code.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Speaking of voice actors, here's some love for the random pedestrian conversations in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0iaH3IMv5A

Ey, you like potato salad?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It's from the guy who's supposedly finding poo poo in the game's code.

Can you link which post because I just searched that entire thread and didn't see any of what you just posted

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VarXX posted:

Can you link which post because I just searched that entire thread and didn't see any of what you just posted

http://gtaforums.com/topic/632685-the-hunt-for-north-yankton/?p=1063877449

This could be real, but the dialogue this clown is pulling out definitely isn't, also the fact that he just ignores anyone who asks him what files he's looking at just screams bullshit.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

StickFigs posted:

I was trying to do the final triathalon mission and I was leading the pack until half way through the bike section one of the NPCs flys by me at twice the speed of the fastest I can possibly go. A couple seconds later I notice a stray blip on my minimap so I go to check it out on my big map:

Thanks for the grindy, bugged, boring endgame content rockstar!

As stupid as it is, that's pretty much scripted to happen. You'll catch up at the running portion or slightly before it. No matter how good you are, NPCs will get a burst of speed at the bike portion and blow past you by a considerable amount. This was the only mission in the game I felt legitimately annoyed with.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Knuc If U Buck posted:

http://gtaforums.com/topic/632685-the-hunt-for-north-yankton/?p=1063877449

This could be real, but the dialogue this clown is pulling out definitely isn't, also the fact that he just ignores anyone who asks him what files he's looking at just screams bullshit.

Wow, yeah weird. I searched everywhere and it never picked any of this up. Dang and I was really gettin my hopes up :smith:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Strangers and freaks question. The Josh (real estate guy) missions with Trevor, after they end, do you get to see who/what is in the motel? I have this feeling that it's something gross. Not just his wife.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Strangers and freaks question. The Josh (real estate guy) missions with Trevor, after they end, do you get to see who/what is in the motel? I have this feeling that it's something gross. Not just his wife.

No.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

VarXX posted:

I think static lights and car lights are different, even in SP. Static lights (the light sources, not the streetlight model itself) are always present on the whole map, while car lights do something similar to GTAIV where the long distance "row of headlights" is blended with the near-distance actual car models when you get close enough.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hobo Clown posted:

Speaking of voice actors, here's some love for the random pedestrian conversations in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0iaH3IMv5A

Ey, you like potato salad?

I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
the lights moving in the distance are a particle effect which sticks to a path, and as you get closer it tries to generate a car in the correct spot. you can sometimes see them shift when it's fading them in if you look close.

It's still loving incredible technology though, I cant believe how well their LOD/streaming works - it's proper wizardry.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Could anyone offer some advice as to where this van spawns?

I've followed a couple of directions and I can't seem to get anywhere. The "furthest" I got was when a Gruppe 6 (will never not be funny, sorry!) van spawned next to me at the freeway junction just to the north-west of the dot, but it wasn't a "blue flash, hey there's a van over here!" one. Apparently it's around that junction, on or over/under the freeway, or near the "Ban Windmills" (Save our Environment!) billboard but I've had nada. I know it's pointless, but I have some free time!

On the upside, Blue Ark is a swell playlist.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 25, 2013

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

If I haven't received my $20 Xbux code for pre-ordering through the MS store, should I be concerned at this point?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Pisswasser has now exceeded its original maximum projected value a month later. Congrats anyone who stayed on board the whole time, you're now a billionaire like me from a single stock.

SplitSoul posted:

I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge.
"I SMOKE CUZ IT GIVES ME peace of mind"

I loved that one NPC so, so much. Favorite in any GTA

"THAT ESE PUT DUST IN MY WEED!!"

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 25, 2013

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Pisswasser has now exceeded its original maximum projected value a month later. Congrats anyone who stayed on board the whole time, you're now a billionaire like me from a single stock.

I SMOKE CUZ IT GIVES ME peace of mind

I loved that one NPC so, so much.

My favorite will always be Fat CJ. I only ever ate to regain health so I never had him put much weight on. Its just amazing there's all these lines a bunch of people probably never heard.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Wait really? I bought stock in PIS last night and I just checked and it's down about 5 points for me :ohdear:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Is it feasibly possible to even spend a billion dollars in game? I have around that for each character after buying every property and everyone is pretty well stocked on guns. You kinda just laugh off the $5000 healthcare charge after that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Spalec posted:

Is it feasibly possible to even spend a billion dollars in game? I have around that for each character after buying every property and everyone is pretty well stocked on guns. You kinda just laugh off the $5000 healthcare charge after that.

Yeah which made me laugh when people complained about the 'ridiculous' wasted penalty and they tried to avoid it by hiding their money in stocks. $5000 is freaking nothing, even if you only have the money from the final heist.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

For those who might be playing through for the first time or are going back and beating the game again (like me), a couple of tips:

Go cheap on the crew for the first heist. I took the cheapest of every option (this means using Rickie Lukens), still managed to clear out all 20 cases in the jewelry store, picked up the dropped bag when the gunman dies entering the tunnel, and ended up making over $1 million with Michael (and another 245k or so with Franklin).

Do the Epsilon missions as soon as possible. I ended up waiting until I had unlocked Trevor and gotten him moved to Los Santos (basically the first point when you've got all three characters readily available to switch) and immediately did it, and now Michael is sitting on about $3.2 million.

At that point, you could easily do Lester's first assassination mission and make Michael quite rich (and help the other two as well). From there you could easily have Michael pay for car mods and then give the cars to the other players, etc.

It's been a lot nicer than my first playthrough when I barely hit $1 million with Michael and Franklin right before the final heist.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Wait really? I bought stock in PIS last night and I just checked and it's down about 5 points for me :ohdear:
It's around $153 a share on PS3 Bawsaq right now. It hit rock bottom and made the long slow climb all the way up despite the expectation of a crash after the reddit "dump", which in retrospect, lol

Fooley posted:

My favorite will always be Fat CJ. I only ever ate to regain health so I never had him put much weight on. Its just amazing there's all these lines a bunch of people probably never heard.
yeah, I hadn't heard those. It was amazing that SA had so much audio packed into it. And still has the only jetpack a decade later, somehow.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Is there a way to track how many deer and coyotes you've run over? Cause that's basically all I do

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

It's around $153 a share on PS3 Bawsaq right now. It hit rock bottom and made the long slow climb all the way up despite the expectation of a crash after the reddit "dump", which in retrospect, lol

Should I sell now and break even seeing as how I bought at an all-time high? I accidentally bought during a 5-hour low, thinking it was a more advantageous time than it really was.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Should I sell now and break even seeing as how I bought at an all-time high? I accidentally bought during a 5-hour low, thinking it was a more advantageous time than it really was.
You should have a back-up save where you have yet to sell, and a new save where you did. Then you're covered both ways.

No idea how much higher PIS will actually go, its original Max was $151 according to the social club master listing.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

VarXX posted:

There's also references to some placeholder GTA:O missions so it looks like you'll be going to North Yankton in GTA:O eventually as well. These apparently all showed up with the 1.04 patch so this may not be cut content.

It wouldn't surprise me...if you pause the game during the intro sequence and pan around the map, there's quite a lot of area with proper roads and everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

As stupid as it is, that's pretty much scripted to happen. You'll catch up at the running portion or slightly before it. No matter how good you are, NPCs will get a burst of speed at the bike portion and blow past you by a considerable amount. This was the only mission in the game I felt legitimately annoyed with.

Yeah, another guy will easily beat you on the bike section but then waits at the start of the foot race where he doesn't get any bonus to speed.

I kind of liked the third triathalon because by that point you'll have unlimited stamina so it becomes less of a test of endurance for the character and more of a test of endurance for the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Could anyone offer some advice as to where this van spawns?

I've followed a couple of directions and I can't seem to get anywhere. The "furthest" I got was when a Gruppe 6 (will never not be funny, sorry!) van spawned next to me at the freeway junction just to the north-west of the dot, but it wasn't a "blue flash, hey there's a van over here!" one. Apparently it's around that junction, on or over/under the freeway, or near the "Ban Windmills" (Save our Environment!) billboard but I've had nada. I know it's pointless, but I have some free time!

On the upside, Blue Ark is a swell playlist.

I've found this map to be pretty useful as far as random events go

http://www.vgfaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/GTA-V-Map-Random-Events.jpg

• Locked thread