Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
DC :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, what is there to miss about Minnesota? Please do not say cross country skiing or something similar, or you will lose all credibility.

I have actually thought about Portland (though the "Portlandia" vibe kind of creeps me out), Seattle (but I understand there is an odd pride in hating transplants there

Well, that vibe is mostly exaggerated for comic effect, as is the alleged dislike for transplants. Biggest problem is that the job market is pretty bad, even when compared to the new normal. Unless you have a sufficiently impressive resume, you'll be competing with all the graduates from the various local yokel law schools. Seattle is probably a better place to find a job.
That being said, it's a nice place to be underemployed.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Phil Moscowitz posted:

SlyFrog, you want to move to Santa Barbara.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ca7902

Of course there is no real legal market there and property values are $1000/square foot, but hey, it's not Minnesota.

oh jesus i miss california.

I mean there's some real estate law going on in Orange County and Newport isn't that different from SB.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tau posted:

I miss Denver.
sorry, but I took your spot and I'm not giving it back

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

insanityv2 posted:

oh jesus i miss california.

I mean there's some real estate law going on in Orange County and Newport isn't that different from SB.

Aside from being worse in every measurable way?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

SlyFrog posted:

Sons of Anarchy has made me reconsider this stance, however, as I would now like to be an attorney for an outlaw motorcycle gang located in a charming small town away from the smog and congestion.

I'm getting started in this and the problem is that small towns are not really charming at all, but are instead filled with drunken meth-addled hicks who waste your time by getting into bar fights and stealing liquor instead of properly trafficking in narcotics and/or killing each other.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

drat, if I was a dentist I bet I could live in Santa Barbara.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, what is there to miss about Minnesota? Please do not say cross country skiing or something similar, or you will lose all credibility.

In order of importance:
Sebastian Joe's, living in a real city (instead of the sprawly hell of socal), Getting drunk at Nyes et al, 1st Ave, people I don't want to stab in the face, fried cheese curds, fresh cheese curds, Surdyks, the Double Duce, ice racing, summer not being 110F.
That said, I miss Minneapolis and St Paul proper as well as some of the better ruralish areas. The 'burbs can suck it.

edit: See if some north coast CA county needs a county counsel or something.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm getting started in this and the problem is that small towns are not really charming at all, but are instead filled with drunken meth-addled hicks who waste your time by getting into bar fights and stealing liquor instead of properly trafficking in narcotics and/or killing each other.

I'm currently working in a town of less than 9000 in rural central Florida. It's nice that rush hour has a dozen cars on the road and the cost of living is dirt cheap. It's less nice that half our clients are Florida Man.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This is where Abugadu would normally try to convince you to move to Guam, but he's on vacation in New Zealand. (And say, didn't I post something about a job opening in the CNMI just last page?)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

nm posted:

In order of importance:
Sebastian Joe's, living in a real city (instead of the sprawly hell of socal), Getting drunk at Nyes et al, 1st Ave, people I don't want to stab in the face, fried cheese curds, fresh cheese curds, Surdyks, the Double Duce, ice racing, summer not being 110F.
That said, I miss Minneapolis and St Paul proper as well as some of the better ruralish areas. The 'burbs can suck it.

edit: See if some north coast CA county needs a county counsel or something.

I have to boil this down a bit.

So if I'm reading this correctly, it really says ice cream, music, alcohol, cheese curds, titties, and sub-110F summers. (As stated before, I refuse to recognize bizarre winter sports, which means I refuse to recognize all winter sports.)

First, let me say that having spent the first 18 years of my life in Wisconsin, this is a quite solid list.

Second, let me say that this list really does little to recommend Minnesota. Ice cream is readily available in better forms elsewhere, alcohol you can get anywhere, music you can get anywhere (and in particular, Prince doesn't live here anymore),titties you can get anywhere (well, you know what I mean), and I know this great place from my home town that will ship fresh cheese curds anywhere in the U.S. (Minnesota cheese curds are a pale imitation of fresh Wisconsin cheese curds in any event.)

Agreed regarding the traffic and weather, but that's why my Xanadu doesn't involve disgusting city sprawl and 110F weather (I think, in fact, that was part of my original list of demands, though I can't be bothered to go check.)

As for people, well, I frankly find the people of Minnesota somewhat aloof and dickish. Before saying, "That's just you," I've lived in three other states, and in none of them have I met people who are so aloof and dickish on average. I'm sure it's great here if you grew up here or went to school (including law school) here. I did not.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Massachusetts bar results were mailed out yesterday. Just got mine today. I passed. :)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Snugglecakes posted:

Massachusetts bar results were mailed out yesterday. Just got mine today. I passed. :)

Congrats!

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

Snugglecakes posted:

Grats!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm currently working in a town of less than 9000 in rural central Florida.

You have discovered The Secret.

I wonder if you're in my judicial circuit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snugglecakes posted:

Id congratulate you but this means you have to be a lawyer now, so I'll just sort of shrug amiably at my monitor I guess

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Not necessarily, there's always being a barista.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zzyzx posted:

Not necessarily, there's always being a barista.

A silver lining to every cloud

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I do love my job.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

I like my job too, but I'm still gonna be an astronaut when I grow up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

beanbrew posted:

I do love my job.
why did you go to law school again?

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

zzyzx posted:

I like my job too, but I'm still gonna be an astronaut when I grow up.

We actually had a firm-wide e-mail a week or two ago from a partner asking if anyone had experience with Space Law. I wonder if he got any responses.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

NJ Deac posted:

We actually had a firm-wide e-mail a week or two ago from a partner asking if anyone had experience with Space Law. I wonder if he got any responses.

I love it when things like that go around my firm, and you always get tons of responses from people who obviously have no experience in the area but are willing to fake it because they are desperate to try to obtain any work they possibly can.

"Kazakhstani goatherd regulations? One of my clients is in the food industry, and I've been to Canada. Goats are food, and I do international law, so yeah, I do that."

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

NJ Deac posted:

I actually got into an interesting conversation with someone who had space law experience at a recruiting event. They're out there.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Admiralty law would be badass if you had to wear a hat like Captain Crunch while in court.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dantu posted:

Admiralty law would be badass if you had to wear a hat like Captain Crunch while in court.

Can we start with wearing wigs in court?

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is in the heart

TenementFunster posted:

why did you go to law school again?

I was 15 and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. And in 2007 it didn't seem like a completely poo poo idea.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Dantu posted:

You're a crook, Captain Hook
Judge, won't you throw the book
At the pirate king?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

beanbrew posted:

I was 15 and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. And in 2007 it didn't seem like a completely poo poo idea.

Are you Canadian ?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Who are The Placeholders? Can we replace him/her with someone that will field a team?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Who are The Placeholders? Can we replace him/her with someone that will field a team?

PUT ME IN COACH

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is in the heart

semicolonsrock posted:

Are you Canadian ?

Nope, I'm American.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

Is it a repeat problem, though? That isn't the first time someone has forgotten to set their lineup this year; it's maybe just more noticeable this week because so many teams have byes.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Is it a repeat problem, though? That isn't the first time someone has forgotten to set their lineup this year; it's maybe just more noticeable this week because so many teams have byes.

Fair point, seems to be a one week thing. Never mind.

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

That's me. I didn't replace anyone on the team this week because like 50% of my team has a bye, and it doesn't make sense to drop everyone for one week, especially considering I'm losing this season anyway. When I realized the bye week situation, I just considered it a lost week and didn't bother to set my lineup as I had pretty much zero chance anyway. Sorry about that.

cendien fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 28, 2013

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

cendien posted:

That's me. I didn't replace anyone on the team this week because like 50% of my team has a bye, and it doesn't make sense to drop everyone for one week, especially considering I'm losing this season anyway. Sorry about that.

I'm mostly mad that I didn't get to play you this week. ;)

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

Hah that's fair. I need to take some time this week to readjust, but I think playoff are pretty unlikely at this point.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm mostly just mad about Drew Brees.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

cendien posted:

That's me. I didn't replace anyone on the team this week because like 50% of my team has a bye, and it doesn't make sense to drop everyone for one week, especially considering I'm losing this season anyway. When I realized the bye week situation, I just considered it a lost week and didn't bother to set my lineup as I had pretty much zero chance anyway. Sorry about that.

I will gracefully accept my victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just heard in the hallway on my way to class.

quote:

You know, for as much as we're paying for this, I thought we would get more.

Three of my four classes only have a final exam for the grade. I've done some practice tests and been ok. All the teachers have said just write something at all that's been discussed in class and you'll pass. So many people are still "freaking out" about how much work we have to do or how hard law school is. I keep trying to tell them to relax and take it easy. We'll see how I do at the end of the semester. I think I'll end up in the middle of the pack, but I'm definitely not stressing very much. I'm thinking about a part time job because I've just got too much free time.