Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Closer inspection in HDizzle shows it to be old, knackered and overgrown... could just be scenery, it is an Asian island.

You're new to this aren't you? Conspicuous red buildings on deserted islands in fiction are never just scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i'm in the same camp, but they just left the island on a boat... I'm hoping it's something cool in the future though.

I trawled every DC wiki and encyclopedia i could find about a Pagoda came up with bupkis.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Pretty excellent way to cement the Arrow/Lance relationship AND end the "I hate you Arrow because Tommy" thing with Laurel.

The Arrow saves them both. Laurel gets over it because she realizes her Dad was right, and now there is ZERO chance Lance will ever even think about turning on the Arrow, because he saved his little girl.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Didn't 'Canary' kill Dollmaker? On the first go round it looks like she did throw out a kill shot after Oliver's arrows pin the shoulders and she proclaim's "no" to the remark about going back to prison. I was sure that the Lances were going to see Dollmaker's corpse and derail the apology about the entire vigilante issue.

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 25, 2013

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Didn't 'Canary' kill Dollmaker? On the first go round it looks like she did throw out a kill poo poo after Oliver's arrows pin the shoulders and she proclaim's "no" to the remark about going back to prison. I was sure that the Lances were going to see Dollmaker's corpse and derail the apology about the entire vigilante issue.

I didn't know the CW was that exotic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mostly unrelated but what exactly is the "official" pronunciation of "R'as?" I've heard it the way the DCAU used it (Raish being the sound I guess?) and "Raz." I could have sworn I read something about the DCAU deliberately changing the pronunciation for some reason though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Dead Snoopy posted:

Didn't 'Canary' kill Dollmaker? On the first go round it looks like she did throw out a kill poo poo after Oliver's arrows pin the shoulders and she proclaim's "no" to the remark about going back to prison. I was sure that the Lances were going to see Dollmaker's corpse and derail the apology about the entire vigilante issue.

I thought about that too but the two reasons that made sense in my head is that they'd recognize whatever killed him as being an un-Arrow weapon (literally and figuratively) and/or the fact the dude just tried to kill Laurel so they give no fucks that he's dead. Lance did say 'do whatever you have too'.

Also, still not bothered if former Det. Lance has no clue that Ollie is the Arrow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ville Valo posted:

It's hard not to make the association, but it's not, in fact, the island from Lost.

Yeah, it's actually the island from the new Tomb Raider.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

zoux posted:

I would be shocked if we ever see Ra's in the show. But if it gets popular enough I suppose anything is possible.

No way they mention his name without him turning up at some point. That would be too much of a tease. I could see it not being for awhile though, like, not until next season. They would need to hire a relatively popular TV actor with some real gravitas which might take them awhile to find.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Well right before Arrow ran off to fight him that last time Quentin pretty clearly told him "Stop him, do WHATEVER you have to do, just stop him!" which pretty clearly means he was giving permission for him to kill him.

ComposerGuy posted:

Pretty excellent way to cement the Arrow/Lance relationship AND end the "I hate you Arrow because Tommy" thing with Laurel.

The Arrow saves them both. Laurel gets over it because she realizes her Dad was right, and now there is ZERO chance Lance will ever even think about turning on the Arrow, because he saved his little girl.

In all fairness this is like the fourth time he's saved Laurel's life. He didn't seem to change his opinion too much after the first few, although I guess they did change his opinion little by little each time.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 25, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I thought he mostly hated Arrow due to him knowing it was Ollie and he hated him? It seemed his opinion of Arrow changed around the time he saw that Ollie was a different person.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he mostly hated Arrow due to him knowing it was Ollie and he hated him? It seemed his opinion of Arrow changed around the time he saw that Ollie was a different person.

His opinion towards Arrow was mostly borne of him having ingrained prejudices towards the vigilante aspect and also towards the first couple times Laurel gets kidnapped/put in danger being because of her association with him in the first place. Once it was solely because of his interaction with a serial killer did he remove stick from rear end.

Then again, it might also be because the Sterling PD is a giant shithole whose cops only serve to parrot the opinions of those who currently are in charge at the time. Pike is a giant moron even under the best of circumstances.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

bbf2 posted:

In all fairness this is like the fourth time he's saved Laurel's life. He didn't seem to change his opinion too much after the first few, although I guess they did change his opinion little by little each time.

Yeah but most of those previous times, Laurel was in trouble because of her association with him (or so Lance thought or rationalized to himself). This time, it was Lance's actions which got Laurel in trouble.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Mostly unrelated but what exactly is the "official" pronunciation of "R'as?" I've heard it the way the DCAU used it (Raish being the sound I guess?) and "Raz." I could have sworn I read something about the DCAU deliberately changing the pronunciation for some reason though.

The creator of Ra's Al Ghul intended it to be, and the Animated Series used, something that sounds like Raysh.

This is, however, incorrect Arabic where "Roz" like the Nolan movies is more accurate (though still not 100% on.)

There's no official pronunciation because official DC productions have used both.

It's not like the Aang thing in Shyamalan's Last Airbender movie, though. His name is supposed to be just a straight Arabic phrase.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When in doubt, go with David Warner -- detective.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah i'm in the same camp, but they just left the island on a boat... I'm hoping it's something cool in the future though.

Well, we know they aren't going to stay on the boat indefinitely since we see it wrecked in the same spot it's sitting in the season opener.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I saw someone recently suggest Alexander Siddig as someone who'd be within the show's budget and also be a great Ra's. It's one of those 'of course' fantasy casting ideas, I feel.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gaz-L posted:

I saw someone recently suggest Alexander Siddig as someone who'd be within the show's budget and also be a great Ra's. It's one of those 'of course' fantasy casting ideas, I feel.

I'm not sure I want Dr. Bashir or Hannibal in Arrow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Torrannor posted:

Rebuttal: Alexander Siddig owns, he'd be great, and he should be in more things. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone have a gif of Ollie jumping down after he shot the Dollmaker in the climax scene? It was a really good jump-to-crouch entrance.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

zoux posted:

I would be shocked if we ever see Ra's in the show. But if it gets popular enough I suppose anything is possible.

When Slade and Ollie were looking at the ship through the binoculars, I noticed a large red pagoda-ish building. Have we seen that before?

I was working on the assumption that the red building was on a different island in the chain of islands they're stranded on, but I have no basis for that conclusion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Merlinicus posted:

I was working on the assumption that the red building was on a different island in the chain of islands they're stranded on, but I have no basis for that conclusion.

It totally could be nothing, I was just wondering if we'd seen it before, or if it was some reference. This show is so chock full of references to DC I guess I start wondering if completely extraneous stuff means anything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

When in doubt, go with David Warner -- detective.

Go big, get Christopher Lee.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I hope they straight up adapt the Conner Hawk/Birds of Prey martial arts arc about the greatest fighter leads the League of Assassins.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Go big, get Christopher Lee.

Christopher Lee is not going to fly halfway around the world at his age to be in Arrow. Besides, they may want the character to be recurring, and Christopher Lee may not have much recurring left in him.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lord Bude posted:

Christopher Lee is not going to fly halfway around the world at his age to be in Arrow. Besides, they may want the character to be recurring, and Christopher Lee may not have much recurring left in him.

It'd be perfect. When Lee dies in real life in the next year or two they can show him being thrown into a Lazarus pit and a new, younger actor coming out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Or they could hire the younger actor now and put old man makeup on him and do the same thing. This is still a CW show with a CW budget.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
EDIT: I need to learn to read the thread.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think it'd be cool if it was a super loving young Ras Al Ghul, with the trademark white streak. Like someone in their 20s that to me would make sense. He never really seemed "young" in the comic. Someone who looks even younger than Ollie and the others.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Torrannor posted:

You have failed this thread.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Given that Bill Murphy worked for 9,000 dollars on Rushmore, I'm sure they can afford Liam Nelson.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Given that Bill Murphy worked for 9,000 dollars on Rushmore, I'm sure they can afford Liam Nelson.

That really only sounds like evidence that you could get Bill Murray to play Ras Al Ghul...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

Well, we know they aren't going to stay on the boat indefinitely since we see it wrecked in the same spot it's sitting in the season opener.

I'm assuming this is where Ollie goes and meets his Russian buddies

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Watched the first season over the weekend and finally got Hulu+ to catch up on this season.

It's really impressive to see a superhero show that not only draws reasonable comparisons to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, but in some ways seems to surpass it. While you can make a stylistic arguement insupport of Nolan's super-tight shots, I think the fight scenes are generally better on the show as it gives you enough space to view what's going on. Also, the show is far more aware of the issues of violence and classism than Nolan's Batman was. I like that Tommy's freak-out over Ollie wasn't some absurd "how could you not tell me" or something, but was simply "oh you're a dude who murders people, that's loving insane." The fact that they try to take that issue seriously at all makes me feel better about giving the mortality rate of cops/bodyguards/thugs on Arrow a pass.

Green Arrow's always felt like a character people should like more, but he generally gets brushed into the corner of "martial artist heroes like Batman...but not as cool", so it's neat to see a show compare and also draw better distinctions between the two.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
R'as al Ghul - Zubin Varla (aka Leo Kamali) from the last season of Strike Back. The dude has screen presence in spades. Just the right amount of English, Arabic, Americanisms i think... He's done West End musicals and plays so thats where he gets his skills.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Watched the first season over the weekend and finally got Hulu+ to catch up on this season.

It's really impressive to see a superhero show that not only draws reasonable comparisons to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, but in some ways seems to surpass it.

Also how they turned Vancouver into a grimy Gotham City-esque slum feeling for many of the on location shooting for places such as the Glades.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
East Vancouver is perfect for The Glades

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Four+people+arrested+after+police+standoff+Vancouver+Knight+Street/9080240/story.html

even better - google East Vancouver and Hastings and go to the images...

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

zoux posted:

Does anyone have a gif of Ollie jumping down after he shot the Dollmaker in the climax scene? It was a really good jump-to-crouch entrance.

Just for you:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks. That's a good entrance. Extra props for not doing the three point landing.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
The ninja chick had a great entrance as well.

edit: that one was badass but I liked her other one even better. :)

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

TheChad posted:

The ninja chick had a great entrance as well.

Yup.

• Locked thread