Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

As poo poo as Millar is, he's but one of a large fraternity of writers who have decided that THEY are the ones to finally address the wife beating once and for all!

I think Chuck Austen's version was worse than what Millar wrote (if you can believe that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chuck Austen wrote something worse than X is probably the most easily believable narrative in comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

Chuck Austen wrote something worse than X is probably the most easily believable narrative in comics.

I've been told that he wrote Exiles better than Chris Claremont.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Metal Loaf posted:

I think Chuck Austen's version was worse than what Millar wrote (if you can believe that).

That has honestly got me curious, how you top Millar's take without going straight to homicidal rapist.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah this is obvious. If Iron Man can't be an alcoholic then Pym isn't going to be an abuser.
They were implying Iron Man being an alcoholic pretty strongly in 1 and 2, what with Tony's response to "I'm going to die soon" being "get incredibly, dangerously drunk". I think he's just trying to keep it under control for Pepper's sake.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
I thought the new Cap trailer made the movie look incredible. It reminded me somewhat of the Dark Knight trailer for some reason. The first Cap movie was kind of lovely in my opinion and just made to set up for the Avengers, but this one looks incredible. A Triskellion on the Potomac? Hell yes.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well well well, looks like a new trailer for Days of Future Past just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK2zYHWDZKo

I'll go out and say that DoFP hasn't really caught my attention, but after this, I'm pretty excited to go and see it now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks great. Actually kind of distressing that it looks way better than any of Marvel's own upcoming films.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
That's an amazing trailer.

Still doesn't redeem Singer abandoning the third X-Men movie, though. :colbert:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He didn't really abandon it, he went to do Superman Returns and FOX wouldn't wait for him to finish that, they decided they wanted to rush out a piece of poo poo instead.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Hakkesshu posted:

That looks great. Actually kind of distressing that it looks way better than any of Marvel's own upcoming films.

You are out of your mind.

I want this movie to be really good, but I don't have a hell of a lot of faith in Singer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

S-Alpha posted:

I'll go out and say that DoFP hasn't really caught my attention, but after this, I'm pretty excited to go and see it now.

Yep, same here. Didn't care all that much beyond a mild interest in how they'd make a time travel plot work and how they'd bring (old) Xavier back, but now I'm actually kind of hyped.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I am just going to stay the complete opposite and say that with the exception of Fassbender, Dinklage and the rest of the past X-Men crew it looks really underwhelming.

Kind of not surprising once Singer was on board but it'd have been nice to see at least one interesting action set piece.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That trailer tells me nothing about that movie beyond "oh hey there's Blink and Warpath I guess and there's time travel and Magneto's angry". It's just a hodge-podge of poo poo happening to portentous music.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It's nice to see Mystique spinning and kicking and stuff again. I like Jennifer Lawrence and I'm glad the Hunger Games movies made Fox give her a larger part.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
I'm not gonna lie, that trailer made me feel pretty hyped, but unless the entire film is composed of random scenes of tragedy overlaid with portentous music and a masterful Patrick Stewart voice-over, I'll probably be disappointed.

edit: And it's a loving travesty that there's going to be no Cyclops in this movie. gently caress Twentieth Century Fox for whatever bug they have up their rear end about that guy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I said it in the other comicbook movie thread, but jesus, the editing in that trailer is shockingly bad. Really amateurish stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The thing I'm most concerned about is the whole Xavier plot being hokey as hell.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's a reasonably attractive trailer but not a particularly interesting one. There's a certain lack of dynamism to it, and as much as I basically worship Patrick Stewart's voice, I can listen to that reading much better material. Contrasted with the Winter Soldier trailer, there's not much to recommend it. Now, First Class also had completely lovely trailers and ended up being a lot of fun, but it coasted entirely on the strength of the cast, that might well be the saving grace of DoFP too.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The worth of this movie is going to depend on how much is set in the past, it's insane that they'd blow off the cast that resuscitated the franchise but that trailer has waaaaay too many scenes and characters grimacing in that poorly costumed future.

Already dreading having to waste the first 3 minutes of this movie with some dumbass exposition about how Xavier got resurrected.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

DynamicSloth posted:

The worth of this movie is going to depend on how much is set in the past, it's insane that they'd blow off the cast that resuscitated the franchise but that trailer has waaaaay too many scenes and characters grimacing in that poorly costumed future.

Already dreading having to waste the first 3 minutes of this movie with some dumbass exposition about how Xavier got resurrected.

Singer said this week it's 70% past/30% future.

Also, it's a tragedy that they didn't make Halle Berry have the Mohawk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It doesn't really look like anything, I mean I guess there are things that happen in slow shot montages but that tells me nothing about the movie other than " Wolverine goes back into the past to make Xavier hope again".

Huh?

It kind of looks just underwhelming over all. Stuff happening, Wolverine going back in time. It just looks like they took the time travel part of the film and used Wolverine that's it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Waterhaul posted:

I am just going to stay the complete opposite and say that with the exception of Fassbender, Dinklage and the rest of the past X-Men crew it looks really underwhelming.

Kind of not surprising once Singer was on board but it'd have been nice to see at least one interesting action set piece.

It's painfully obvious that they weren't able to get any of the big CG shots ready in time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hollis posted:

Wolverine goes back into the past to make Xavier hope again

Even though I liked the trailer, the more I think about it, the more this makes me kind of laugh.

"Xavier, you've got to regain your hope for the future!"
"What happens in the future?"
"Well your friend Erik goes from an extremist to a full-blown terrorist, and then you die when one of your most beloved students turns you to ash. Also you go bald. poo poo, I guess the future does suck!"

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

FoneBone posted:

It's painfully obvious that they weren't able to get any of the big CG shots ready in time.

Singer said as much in a q&a this week. They don't have any fx shits ready so they did a character trailer. Likely to compete with the attention on the Cap triller like when they announced Quiksilver the same week Marvel said they were using him.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

FoneBone posted:

Oh I know they wouldn't be able to get a big CG shot ready but most trailers have at least one interesting shot in it where "poo poo goes down".

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Dacap posted:

Singer said as much in a q&a this week. They don't have any fx shits ready so they did a character trailer. Likely to compete with the attention on the Cap triller like when they announced Quiksilver the same week Marvel said they were using him.

Honestly, I think they'd be better served waiting for some of that to die down before coming out with their offering. The Winter Soldier trailer is leaps and bounds above this one. Comparison isn't doing this thing ANY favours, while if they'd waited a few weeks they'd have a better trailer that stands on it's own and makes a bigger/better impact.

This is the same stupid "Get it out sharpish" mentality that screwed X3 in the first place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dacap posted:

They don't have any fx shits ready so

Okay now 3D has gone too far.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
They were clearly under considerable pressure to get a trailer out in time for Thor, and wanted to avoid a Green Lantern situation where rushed-looking CG shots in the first trailer create negative buzz around the film. I suppose this was the best option.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

X2 contains all of the best action setpieces in the X-Men film franchise, and at least two of the best in any comic book movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

X2 contains all of the best action setpieces in the X-Men film franchise, and at least two of the best in any comic book movie.

All 2 minutes of them.

Also neither of them are the Hulk vs milatary fight from Hulk or the Doc Ock vs Spider-Man train fight from Spider-Man 2. Actually I would put the bank heist from Spider-Man 2 above it as well.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 29, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

All 2 minutes of them.

Say whaaaaat? There's the Nightcrawler fight, the mansion invasion, and Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike (this one in particular is still unequaled for one-on-one fights in superhero movies) just for the top-tier stuff, plus the littler but still awesome setpieces of Magneto escaping superjail and Pyro going nuts on the cops. Even the little bit with the Blackbird having to evade the missiles is tense and really well-edited.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 29, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

All 2 minutes of them.

Also neither of them are the Hulk vs milatary fight from Hulk or the Doc Ock vs Spider-Man train fight from Spider-Man 2. Actually I would put the bank heist from Spider-Man 2 above it as well.
Still the best one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

Still the best one.

This one is well directed and choreographed but loses points for some rather lovely looking CGI.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

This one is well directed and choreographed but loses points for some rather lovely looking CGI.
The foam train handles kill me too, but there's no denying the sheer adrenaline rush of that sequence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

The foam train handles kill me too, but there's no denying the sheer adrenaline rush of that sequence.

There's a long stretch where it's really obvious that we're looking at animated characters and not people, but yeah, it's still a pretty great sequence in a great movie. I can't knock it too much.

For all the ups and downs of Ang Lee's Hulk, I don't see how you can bag on X2 for having "2 minutes" of action scenes and then use Hulk as a positive counterexample.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 29, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"We're doing another X-Men movie, look at all the characters, there's time travel, it's the past and future X-Men, you know these guys" is not bad work for the first trailer to get across.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There's a long stretch where it's really obvious that we're looking at animated characters and not people, but yeah, it's still a pretty great sequence in a great movie. I can't knock it too much.

For all the ups and downs of Ang Lee's Hulk, I don't see how you can bag on X2 for having "2 minutes" of action scenes and then use Hulk as a positive counterexample.

Because when Hulk starts with the action it decides to let go. But looking at X2 it's main action sequences is the 2 minute opener and the 3 minute Wolverine vs Lady Deathstrike character which while fun is completely taken away from the fact that Deathstrike isn't a character. Also The Nightcrawler CGI is more terrible than the dodgiest of stuff from Spider-Man 2.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Waterhaul posted:

Also The Nightcrawler CGI is more terrible than the dodgiest of stuff from Spider-Man 2.
Gonna have to flat-out disagree with you on this. The opening Nightcrawler scene is still amazing, the only thing even remotely terrible in the CGI is possibly his tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
I really don't think the Spider-Man 2 CGI is bad at all, even by modern standards. I mean, I guess technically you can say "that's not really a real Spider-Man and I can tell" but it's not a total suspension-of-disbelief killer as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread